AuthorContent
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2007
6:52 PM

Post #3090286

Hi, all

1. Lilium michiganense (Turk's Cap lily) - the package says it needs a warm, moist period followed by a cold, moist period. So I'm assuming I should sow and keep indoors for a time and then put outside. But how long should I keep it warm?

2. I have seeds (purchased) for 3 gentians: Gentiana flavida, G. crinita, G. andrewsii. G. andrewsii was in the wintersown db as being successful. and the other 2 require cold stratification, so I should be ok, right?

tia, gram
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3090441

Grampapa, this site is the list that can be winter sown in our zones http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/wtrsow/2002072837032351.html

your lilium is listed there...

This is quoted from the wintersown web site
Quoting:Look for these terms:
Needs Pre-chilling (freeze seeds, refrigerate seeds, stratify for x amount of day or weeks), Needs Stratification, Will Colonize, Self Sows, Sow outdoors in early Autumn, Sow outdoors in early Spring while nights are still cool, Sow outdoors in early Spring while frosts may still occur, Hardy Seeds, Seedlings can withstand frost, Can be direct sown early, Wildflower, Weed (such as butterfly weed, joe pye weed, jewel weed)

I hope that helps :o)

Connie
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #3090740

thanks, Connie. that's one link I didn't have. so the lilium is ok, and the gentian andrewsii. I think I'll try the other 2 gentians, too. I'll keep some seed in case it's not successful.
netwiz
York, PA

January 17, 2007
1:35 PM

Post #3092790

Gram - Tom Clothier has a great germination database at http://tomclothier.hort.net/index.html. It really helped me figure out which seeds needed warm first and how long to keep them indoors. It also helped me decide when I will sow each variety of seed.

For Lilium michiganense - Sow at -4 to +4C (24-39F) for 12 wks, move to 20C (68F) for germination
For Gentiana Flavida - Sow at 20C (68F), if no germination in 3-4 wks, move to -4 to +4C (24-39F) for 2-4 wks cover thin.
For C. crintia and andrewsii - Sow at 18-22C (64-71F) for 2-4 wks, move to -4 to +4C (24-39F) for 4-6 wks, move to 5-12C (41-53F) for germination cover thin

I would sow all of these in Jan. or Feb.

Joanne

P.S. The C. crintia and andrewsii calls for warm first but from previous experience I find that it isn't needed.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2007
10:13 AM

Post #3123850

Joanne, thank you for this link. So much great information out there. I've copied from Tom's DB into mine for all the seeds I have. I've sown my gentian's and I'll see what happens. If not successful, I'll try again next year.

thanks for your help. do you have an alpine/rock garden?

gram
netwiz
York, PA

January 26, 2007
1:01 PM

Post #3124147

No rock garden Gram, but I seem to be really attracted to the alpine plants. I should try to make one this spring for all the WS seedlings that need that environment. Do you have one? If so, I would love to see some pictures!

Joanne
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #3124712

Joanne, I'm working on one. Here' a link to a thread. If I don't WS I'll never have any plants in it LOL

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/660367/

gram
netwiz
York, PA

January 26, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #3125141

Wow Gram! Thank you for posting the link, I really enjoyed looking at your garden. I can't wait to see how it looks in the spring. Great incentive to start designing one of my own. :)

Joanne
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #3126706

Come hang around the Rock & Alpine gardening group in the spring. they'll have you hooked in no time. such wonderful little plants.
nikki_conway
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2007
1:32 AM

Post #3126746

It's looking great! It's going to be fabulous! You have a lot of great space too!
netwiz
York, PA

January 27, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #3126928

I'll be there Gram, if I can find time in between planting out hundreds of plants, lol.

Joanne
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2007
2:55 AM

Post #3126991

thanks, Nikki. lousy soil, though. it's all clay and that's not good for alpine type plants. so I dig out enough for one plant at a time and mix in sand & organic stuff and hope it will drain.

hope to see you there, Joanne. I'll be planting hundreds, too. we've got to take a breather and compare notes once in a while.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2007
11:12 AM

Post #3127377

grampapa: Very pretty garden area, and beautiful setting and surrounding area.

I also wanted to point out something about Trudi"s seed list. Just because you don't see a seed listed doesn't mean it can't be wintersown; It only means nobody has tried it and reported it. I just consider them good candidates, tried and true ones. Although WSing grows in popularity every year, there are undoubtedly seeds out there that haven't been tried. Trudi started this in New York, but undoubtedly folks in Florida will find some different ones to try. Now I know of at least one wintersower in Alaska , and there are people in Europe doing it too. That list is quite extensive but there are bazillions of seeds in this big world. If you have the seeds and want to give it a try, go for it! Then you can be the one to report that it does indeed work well for WSing.

Karen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America