Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poppies: Would it be possible to grow a poppy inside my house?

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 3, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sparisi1122
Gloucester, MA

January 17, 2007
11:17 PM

Post #3094704

I have a jar of poppy seeds for eating, but I have also germinated them. Being a newbie at growing poppies I repotted each one individualy and of course they all died. So I am wondering if it would be possible to grow a poppy in my house. Winter here in the state of Massachusetts (a.k.a. The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts) is so harsh and cold and I always look forward to the summer when I can grow my vegetables, gourds, flowers and identify weeds I see growing wild. I have found a Lamb ear plant. Wow I realy got off topic, well all that behind I have a old flouescent light from one of my fish tanks I could use for an extra source of light if needed. Well thanks everybody for reading!
mulchmania
Ennis, MT
(Zone 4a)

January 17, 2007
11:26 PM

Post #3094732

These poppies tend to resent being repotted. I would try germinating them in a larger pot, and just thin excess seedlings with small scissors so no roots are disrupted. That would not annoy the one you are trying to grow. I am not sure how they will work indoors, but let us know. Sounds like a worthy idea! I am just full up with my geraniums, amaryllis, and a few odds and ends, so I have not tried it.
bolline
San Juan, PR
(Zone 10b)

February 6, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3164701

Hi again.mulchmania,let me tell you are right again my friend :) I learned by trial and error that repotting them too young makes them to bend their stems and minimize the chances of survival.mulchmania's method of larger pots and scissor thinning is the best alternative.Also, my advice in growing them indoors is to put them near a sunny window (avoid scorching by using a thin courtain,remove it after they are strong enough to resist direct sunlight),but do it when sowing,cause if you wait to move them indoors after they have germinated they will bend their stems in search of the new position of light source.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2007 7:44 PM

This message was edited Feb 8, 2007 1:13 PM
Sparisi1122
Gloucester, MA

February 8, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3168173

Thnaks everybody for your help. I will try it sometime this month. I will make a journal entry for it.

Also does anybody here know how to repot a 1 inch tall well rooted sprout? I might get a mini bonsai shovel, It is growing the second set of leaves. I accidently dropped it into my Vinca vine and it has been growing in there for about 3 weeks.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America