Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 53, Views: 1,240
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

January 18, 2007
4:51 PM

Post #3096863

This forum is here as a special place where you can ask ANY question. It's our hope that this forum will make a comfortable introduction to gardening for any of our members who need it. Have fun!

Dave
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #3097283

Hi there, and please allow me to add my welcome to Dave's. There are many, many people here in the Dave's Garden community who are more than happy to help out our newcomers, so please don't be shy. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience here for you to draw on.

Enjoy the time you spend here, and feel free to ask us anything you want to about gardening. I'm looking forward to being able to help you out with your questions whenever I can. Happy gardening!

--Ginny
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #3098176

I am not new to gardening, but new to this zone. It has been many years since I started everything from seed. I had good luck in the fall, but now I am overwhelmed with all these packets of seeds (many of which I won't use but a few)..where is a site that could help me organize these in a fashion that i don't have them all over the room on the floor trying to decide which to germinate next. Some of us just have good ideas about organization and I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE. Love this website...never learned in school what I have learned in only a month on davesgardens site.
glevely
Sanford, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #3098290

Hi I'm new to roses I want to grow David Austin roses in my zone 5 yard but I don't know that much about growing roses and I'v look all over this site can't find much help or I'm not asking the right people or looking in the right places. Maybe I need abook on growing roses in Michigan ? can any boby help? thanks G.
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3098435

Hi bettygail! I'm afraid I can't help you out with questions specific to your zone, but you might want to try the friendly folks over in the Texas Gardening Forum - here's a link to it for you:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/region_tx/all/

For tips about organizing your seeds you could try the Seed Saving Forum at:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/seedsaving/all/

I'll bet someone out there has a few tips to offer.

--Ginny

ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #3098461

Hi there glevely! Don't give up hope just yet. Have you tried the Michigan Gardening Discussion Forum? Here's a link http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/region_mi/all/ . Someone there must be growing David Austin roses and would be able to help you out if you asked the question.

If you haven't found the Roses Discussion Forum yet it's at http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/roses/all/ . You could pose your question out there too.

I know you were probably hoping to get an answer right here, and maybe someone else will come in who can offer more help than I can. I'm just going to be starting with roses myself this spring, and none of my first ones will be David Austin roses. In the meantime, please don't be shy about posing your questions on any of the forums I've listed here.

--Ginny
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2007
1:37 AM

Post #3098476

Hey this is a great forum. I'm gardening seriously for the first time this year and realizing just how much there is to learn. I have been reading a lot of books from the public library in hopes to not ask any really stupid questions here on the other forums, but you have opened it up now and I can go ahead and ask what I was afraid to before.

Bettygail, did you move from a northern zone? Because I know I have been baffled by the fact that I can grow things in the fall and winter here in the south...

As far as seed organizing, I've been struggling with that too, but I put them in groups based on if they were cold-loving or heat-loving and then alphabetically. Mine are mostly vegetable seeds though.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2007 9:43 PM
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2007
1:51 AM

Post #3098528

Hi Everyone New to Dave's Garden Well Come much !!
I enjoy all types of gardening House plants, Tropical's, Growing by seed is a joy too my Hubby and I both enjoy ! We just like growing everything ! Were growing more outside now than in as living in Florida Tropical weather makes it even more fun we have fount we can grow everything ! Each day I enjoy reading Dave's News seeing new photo's in Plant Files learning about new plants and finding where I can buy them ! Amazing all the beautiful plants there are we have been trying a lot of new ones and most Thanks to nice caring people on DG's sharing with us ! I'd like to share with you all too !
I like to share information and answer any questions I can . I enjoy trading and sharing what ever I have too !
Have fun ! Allison
hczone6
Cincinnati (area), OH
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2007
11:27 AM

Post #3099361

Great idea for this set of forums :)
karynnick
Summerville, OR

January 19, 2007
2:19 PM

Post #3099719

Hello Glevely- we are in Zone 5a and after a lot of experimentation have found the following Austins to be reliably hardy: Abraham Darby, Falstaff, Golden Celebration Good Luck!
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2007
4:51 PM

Post #3100172

Hi again bettygail. Now that I have a little more time, I'll try to respond a little better to your question about organizing seeds. I can only tell you what I do, of course, and it may not be suitable at all for you :-)

I tend to use those multi-day plastic pill sorters/containers to store my seeds in the crisper of my refrigerator - they stack nicely and take up much less room than other things I've tried. Usually I buy the ones that have 28 individual "cells" - 1 strip of 4 cells (probably marked AM, Mid-Day, PM, and Bed-Time) for each of the 7 days of the week, all in a plastic frame that they just snap into.

Two caveats: They're not very useful for very large seeds, and their tops tend to have spaces around the "hinge" side that very small seeds could escape through. To solve that problem I use a strip of plastic wrap laid overtop of the open strip of cells, push it well in around the "hinges", and then snap the lids down overtop of it. Then I just wrap the rest of the plastic wrap right around the whole strip.

I keep a numbered reference list of all of my seeds. This list is generally sorted by indoor sowing month, and I try to keep tropicals, annuals, perennials, etc. grouped together within the month, so I'll have a range of numbers "reserved" for each group type. You might prefer to sort by common or latin name, colour, mature size, bloom time, or anything else you can imagine would be more useful to you. Something I have considered as my seed collection grows is keeping an alphabetically sorted list that cross-references to the page numbers of my germination month/group type sorted list.

With each type of seed I put into the containers I write its number on a small square of paper and put it into the cell on top of the seeds before closing its lid. I also note on my list which tray number they are in (I just use a piece of masking tape with the number written on it to stick to each tray).

Finally, I have a document that is a copy of the reference list (seed name, number, and tray number), with the addition of a picture of the plant, germination instructions, zone information, and cultivation requirements. As I complete an entry in this document I add its page number to the reference list too.

Overkill? Maybe - but I can always find what I want in less than 1 minute, and know all of its details within 5.

--Ginny
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2007
7:46 PM

Post #3100819

Those are great tips Ginny ! Thanks !
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2007
7:55 PM

Post #3100843

You're welcome :-)
TYPIST

(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3107555

All of the above sounds like great advice. My problem is that I have moved from Santa Barbara, CA to Council, Idaho and all of my expertise in gardening is of little use here. I would like to plant native plants in my yard so I would have little to move indoors in the winter. However, most of the nurseries who sell natives are for wholesale and I have trouble finding the ferns and shrubs that will live through 0/5 degrees. Any thoughts as to how I can proceed. Want to landscape my yard in the spring and am trying to analyse my situation. Are the swordferns that is sold in local nurseries the same as the ones in the native listing and will they survive the cold? ANY help would be appreciated. Many thanks..
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #3107629

I would guess that most of the ferns, shrubs, etc being sold at your local nurseries will probably stand up to your winters. But they may or may not be the exact same as the plants that the native nurseries offer--some are probably the same and some probably aren't, most nurseries I know carry a mix of native and non-native, with probably larger quantities of non-native but climate appropriate plants. I don't trust places like Home Depot, etc to carry climate appropriate plants, but local nurseries will tend to be a bit better. And they will often have staff who are knowledgeable about plants, so if there's a plant you're not sure about and there's no info about hardiness on the tag, you could always ask them. (When I say all this, I'm assuming that your local nurseries are in the same type of climate as you--if you're up in the hills/mountains and the local nurseries are down in the valley then this may not be true, although if you can find a knowledgeable staff member they could still probably help you out.) If you haven't done this already, you should check out the Rocky Mountain gardening forum--I'm guessing that would be the appropriate regional forum for you? You'll probably find some other people from your area there and they can advise you on what grows well for them. The other thing you could do is search on the internet to see if there's an Idaho native plant society, most states have those and you can get a lot of good information from them, and they may be able to point you to good sources for plants, or at least give you a good list of the names so you can match them up when you go to the local nurseries (getting Latin names is better than just getting the common names...there are probably a million different "sword ferns", but maybe only a few specific ones that are native or do well for you so knowing the Latin name of what you want and then matching it up with the Latin name on the plant tag will help make sure you get what you think you're getting)
TYPIST

(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #3110104

Thanks ecrane3,

You give me some place to start...I live about 2 hours north of Boise in a very small town. Our closest nurseries are WalMart and Home Depot and have found the help to be just that, not versed in what they are selling. But I will try the Society and see how far I get...I am on a quest!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #3110438

Yes, don't trust Walmart or HD for advice on plants, or to have the plants that you want for your climate. I would definitely check out the Rocky Mountain gardening forum here too, I'm sure you'll meet a lot of great people there who can help you out.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/region_rm/all/

Also, check out the new local gardening feature that Dave started up a month or so ago--you can use it to search for nurseries that are not too far from you, who knows, maybe you'll find one near you, or at least one that makes it worthwhile to drive to Boise!
http://davesgarden.com/go/
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #3140206

glevely, here is another site with loads of info.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/roses.php?tab=1&searchNmTyp=2&searchNm=AUS&sbSearch=SEARCH
Roses are wonderful, you'll love them
lengels
Woodstock, IL

March 17, 2007
12:51 PM

Post #3291547

Hello! I have a question regarding my Rose of Sharon Hibiscus syriacus 'Minerva' (Family: Malvaceae Genus: Hibiscus Species: syriacus Cultivar: Minerva.) I am in zone 5 (Chicago). We planted 2 of them last summer, they are about 3 feet tall, and they did bloom. We are wondering is it time to prune and how much to prune. We have no buds yet. Thanks for any help.
Laurie

jdee
Paris, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #3377912

I'm so glad to see this forum. I'm not entirely new to gardening, but I've had so many failures, that I've been limiting myself to houseplants, which seem to do ok for me. I think it's because they're in pots. I got interested in gardening about 3 years ago, but I still haven't discovered how to properly water a ground planted garden. I have a tendancy to water too little, and as a result, only the strongest, most drought resistant plants survive in my outside garden. House plants, however are easy, because I know that when water flows out of the bottom of the pot, it's properly watered.

This year, I've decided not to plant anything new into the ground, but instead, to plant in large pots, placed strategically in my yard and garden area. I'm hoping that I can use the same technique as for my house plants, and finally, have a successful garden. I look forward to learning as much as I can.

Jennifer (jdee)
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2007
8:33 AM

Post #3378439

If you get brave enough to put something in the ground my best advice is: when you water, water deep and thoroughly and prepare your soil the right way the first time...hard to amend the soil once you get plants in it...good luck and welcome to DG...I have learned more here in a few short months than everything I had learned in my life!!!
kathy1955
Mchenry, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #3381907

lengels, hello from mchenry! while i am unsure of your specific rose of sharon. e i have several rose of sharons. they are impossible to kill. i wouldnt prune them at all untill they get really big, unsightly, or mis-shaped. i didnt have to prune mine for the first 4 years when it took over my entire side yard. i learned the hard way when you prune you have to use a sealer, specifically to prevent growth. otherwise sprouts will appear where ever you prune. i cant, for the life of me, remember the name of the stuff but you should be able to get it at countryside, castle garden , or any other of the knowledgeable nurseries in our area. you can start new rose of sharons from the seed. if yours is a double or hybrid it wont come true, but they are pretty anyway. happy gardening kathy
hungrykim
Richmond, VA

June 19, 2007
2:59 PM

Post #3633218

HUNGRYKIM here and I am having a really bad day. The ants in my yard got into my seed trays ant stole all the seeds. You should have seen the little monsters working by the moonlight, taking my vegetable seeds away bit by bit. I am devastated. The growing season here is not very long, so I am running out of time for starting over. Does anyone have any advice about this? The trays were covered with those plastic lids that come with them. If I can eventually get the seeds sprouted, will the ants eatthe sprouts, too? Thanks for the help any of you can offer.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #3635115

i vote to rush to the nursery and buy plants!!!
MarilynE
Milton, NH

June 27, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3666102

I have a Dutchmans pipe which has started with pipes. I have no flowers yet. How long before I get flowers. Do I need to do anything special to make this blossom? It is climbing on a trellis. I know nothing about them
thank you
Marilyn
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #3666722

maybe someone who knows will come along...I know which plant it is but know nothing about growing it...
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/56130/
laceangel
Palm Bay, FL

July 8, 2007
5:43 PM

Post #3711320

Greetings to Everyone!
I am new to this group and also somewhat new to gardening(I find it peaceful and relaxing at times) Did I mention the satisfaction it gives me when I do something right? Anyhow at this point in time, I am interested in knowing what flowers are used in making a butterfly garden. Also what would be the best place to put it?
Blessings
Laceangel
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2007
5:53 PM

Post #3711353

There is a great hummer and butterfly gardening forum...they know a lot more than i do...

I have one in full sun...with ascepias currassavica, lantana, ...my mind is blank as to the names of the other blooming plants...

I suggest you go to the right forum...welcome aboard to a lot of fun and learning...
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/bbb/all/
***edited to say that asclepias currassavica is "Milkweed"

This message was edited Jul 8, 2007 9:03 PM
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #3712139

laceangel, a Hearty WELCOME TO THE SITE!

Just offhand and briefly I'd suggest "butterfly bush" (Buddlea davidii), tithonia (Mexican sunflower) and even milkweed! All of those are very heat and drought tolerant so will give you many flowers, attract many butterflies, and are extremely low maintenance!

Best of all to you and yours. Enjoy your garden!

Shoe
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #3712979

Hey Shoe!...Plant Delights still becons:-)

Laceangel...also we have bronze fennel and parsley for the butterfly catepillars to eat. The black swallowtails will eat them to the ground, but that's why I plant it. You can also put a shallow pan or pot saucer in the garden with a rock in it. If I remember correctly they will come to the water.

Bev
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

July 18, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3748334

Degarotty here, I am also new. My passion are Cacti & Succulents. I have sowed some seeds but I have no idea what to look for to see if they are germinating. Would anyone be interested to have a look at my journals and see if you could answer my questions their, with all of your experience I sure hope so.
It's great to be aboard...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #3748487

Degarotty...i know nothing about cacti and succulents...head straight for their forum and they will welcome you and help...good luck...post the same thing you did here on the Cactus forum...
NOTACLUE
Sweetwater, TN

November 12, 2007
7:19 PM

Post #4185913

im a new gardener and may have many questions so i hope someone could help me
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2007
7:45 PM

Post #4186000

Lots of help here..Welcome! Post your questions...Someone is always around with answers:-)
Bev
Elenahr
Red Lion, PA

November 17, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #4204243

Hello. I'm new to this forum. I am also a gardener in training. I'm doing pretty well so far. Quick question for someone: I have stella dora's ( a type of day lily that continues to bloom all summer and into fall). Do I cut them back for the winter or just leave them alone?
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2007
11:01 PM

Post #4204421

I am not the day lily lady (LOL) but I leave mine to wither back as winter sets in. My understanding is that , if you cut them back , they won't have enough energy to produce foliage and blooms next year. (meaning you can cut them back after they turn brown I guess)
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #4205176

Elen,
I've had Stella D'Oro's for a long time and never bother to cut them back. The only thing I do here is spring and summer divisions and clean up as foliage turns brown and flowering stalks finish blooming. These are about as easy as they come and give lots of blooms throughout the season.
Divide them every two to three years or they will overcrowd and not bloom as well.
Bev
SuzeQue
Saint Petersburg, FL

November 26, 2007
7:04 PM

Post #4231696

Hello,
new to it all.
I have a garden in 9b, bought planted some head and romaine lettuce. 45 days or so, went to seed.
I want to have only organic produce, do not know what grows best in my area, apparently weather is too warm yet for lettuce.
I want to supply my family with homegrown. My plot is 5'x20' at most. I have broccoli, cauliflower, collards, brussels, tomatoes, green bean, strawberry, and a couple of mint plants (separated by pots) in my garden. I had 2 squash plants that got eaten by some frog (or other pest) when they began to bloom.
Looking to order organic seeds for more plants. Any suggestions?
SQ
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2007
7:58 PM

Post #4231857

Hi SuzeQue, you might get more answers if you make a new thread for your question, I'm not sure how many people are still paying attention to this thread. You might also try posting in the Beginner Vegetables forum, there are probably more people there who know a lot about veggies: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/b_veggies/all/
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #4232911

SuzeQue, WELCOME to DG! Glad you posted as I'm sure you'll get the answers you are looking for!

And yes, as Ecrane says, please feel free to start a new thread (I bet many others are asking the same questions!).

Hope to see you around the site!

Shoe
angelcat2
Aberdeen, MD

May 13, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #4945306

Hi! I'm new to all this. Iwas given a Mandella plant as a gift, and the buds are falling off before opening. Can anyone out there help me? It's a beautiful plant and I'd like to keep it alive for a long time.
pottingmixer
Council, ID
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #7168538

Hi, here I am again, a year later. Slowly, by trial and error, I have learned to grow things in Council, Idaho. My son says only his mom would move from Santa Barbara, CA where she could grow a wooden chairleg to snow country and open a nursery, but I have been fairly successful and my customers are happy with my results. I have learned to propagate with difficulty and am trying to convince customers to plant natives and perennials and when Spring comes, then go for annuals to fill in. Uphill but working. I am in Zone 5, here in area 83612 and my dilemma now is how to store my houseplants and succulents for the winter. I have a greenhouse, but since I am working on a shoestring, heating will eat up all my profits. I keep a lot of them in my home, but using the garage or greenhouse when the temperature is below 32 is not an option. Any creative souls out there who might have come up with a solution of their own?
peaceman6
Honea Path, SC

April 25, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #7735337

hey there y'all! i planted a shrub 4 years ago and forgot the name of it. it looks exactly like the loropetalum with the pink flowers, except mine doesn't flower. any ideas what this might be??? thanks in advance for your help. peace!
Mitzifrommonti
Monticello, IA

July 5, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7944395

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but my question did not get posted. This year my 4 and 5 year old clematis are turning brown at the bottom half although the top is still blooming profusely. Other clematis are doing well. Can anyone tell me why? I hope the plants themselves will not die. They are planted in full sun with mulch and other plants at the bottom. I live in Iowa - zone 4.
triplenickle
Crumpton, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7944440

How do we know which are male and which are female flowers on Zuchini and crooked neck squash
wuzo15
Connellys Springs, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #7944881

Hi, Everyone!

Is there anyone in zone 7 that had a new lawn put in (by hydroseeding) that can give me some ideas how you handled little weeds that came up? How long before the grass will crowd them out? I have tried Weed-B -Gone, but it really isn't killing most of the weeds. I hate to put on something that will kill everything including the grass.

Any and all suggestions welcome. I'm pulling my hair out and don't want to loose my investment.

Thanks so much.
brusedthumb
Glendale , AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #7952235

Hi,
I have some questions regarding planting sub-tropical fruit trees in zone 9b. Is there anyone in that zone that has figured out the how's, when's, do's/don'ts of planting in that zone? I really could use the help! I'm a "hard-knocks" learner (already have spent quite a bit of money learning what not to plant here...lol)...I'm ready to become a (hopefully) "wiser" gardener...
triplenickle
Crumpton, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #8053508

wuzo15 wrote:Hi, Everyone!

Is there anyone in zone 7 that had a new lawn put in (by hydroseeding) that can give me some ideas how you handled little weeds that came up? How long before the grass will crowd them out? I have tried Weed-B -Gone, but it really isn't killing most of the weeds. I hate to put on something that will kill everything including the grass.

Any and all suggestions welcome. I'm pulling my hair out and don't want to loose my investment.

Thanks so much.

Weed and feed fertilizer always worked for me. Put it down in the spring before the weeds start to grow. Lowes or Home
depot caries it.
tripplenickle

triplenickle
Crumpton, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #8053525

When I build my raised beds is it Ok to put plastic on the bottom to prevent weeds from growing. Where I plan to build it the ground is loadded withsmall roots to the point of not being to insert a shoel in the ground more the a couple of inches. I don't want the roots and weeds coming to the surface of my new bed. The picture shows a partial view of where I want to build the bed. Couldn't find the better view right now.
tripplenickle

Thumbnail by triplenickle
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RebeccaLynn
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #8055370

I am not an expert, but when I build my beds I use the fabric-type material which lets water pass through but not weeds.
triplenickle
Crumpton, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #8056885

RebeccaLynn wrote:I am not an expert, but when I build my beds I use the fabric-type material which lets water pass through but not weeds.

That is what I thought I could use on the bottom. Lowes and Home Depot carry it.
Thanks for the feedback.
tripplnickle
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8056899

If you want to use barrier fabric like that, it's best to use it on the top of the soil just underneath the mulch. If it's on the bottom of the bed and there is soil piled on top, there'll be plenty of soil sitting on top of the fabric for weed seeds to germinate in so it won't have any benefit on weed prevention, and it can also prevent your plants from getting their roots deep into the ground since they'll have a hard time getting their roots through the fabric. If the raised bed is deep and you're growing shallow-rooted annuals then the root thing won't matter, but it still won't help with the weeds to have it on the bottom of the bed. So I'd recommend filling up your raised bed with soil, then put the landscape fabric on top, cut holes in it to plant your plants through, and then mulch over the top.
anitsirhc
Nampa, ID

August 26, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8063495

My pimentos are turning red and they are only about 1 inch in diameter. Why?

Papabukk

Papabukk
Galt, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9564131

Ok here's a good question. Gulp. How do I know what zone I'm in? Sacramento Ca.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM
Ideas on Iris caribblue 2 Aug 25, 2009 1:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America