Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 147, Views: 2,123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

January 18, 2007
4:52 PM

Post #3096866

This forum is here as a special place where you can ask ANY question about your annuals, perennials and bulbs. It's our hope that this forum will make a comfortable introduction to gardening for any of our members who need it. Have fun!

Dave
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2007
6:53 PM

Post #3097275

Hi there, and please allow me to add my welcome to Dave's. There are many, many people here in the Dave's Garden community who are more than happy to help out our newcomers, so please don't be shy. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience here for you to draw on.

Enjoy the time you spend here, and feel free to ask us anything you want to about annuals, perennials, and bulbs. I'm looking forward to being able to help you out with your questions whenever I can. Happy gardening!

--Ginny
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2007
1:51 AM

Post #3098526

Hi Everyone New to Dave's Garden Well Come much !!
I enjoy all types of gardening House plants, Tropical's, Growing by seed is a joy too my Hubby and I both enjoy ! We just like growing everything ! Were growing more outside now than in as living in Florida Tropical weather makes it even more fun we have fount we can grow everything ! Each day I enjoy reading Dave's News seeing new photo's in Plant Files learning about new plants and finding where I can buy them ! Amazing all the beautiful plants there are we have been trying a lot of new ones and most Thanks to nice caring people on DG's sharing with us ! I'd like to share with you all too !
I like to share information and answer any questions I can . I enjoy trading and sharing what ever I have too !
Have fun ! Allison
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #3098607

cool
sugarshokt
Cambridge, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3101874

Welcome all!

I have been on Dave's for just over a year, and I still consider myself a novice gardener. There is so much to learn :) This forum is a great idea, and I'll be sure to use it!!!!

I'm attempting to winter sow some seeds tonight...I have followed some of the forums to get some great info. Any other new gardeners up to trying it out??
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2007
8:46 AM

Post #3102629

I've been fighting the urge to start my seeds as well and I confess I'm chomping at the bit! Last year I started too many seeds way too early and it became a full time job caring for them 'til it was warm enough to get them in the ground. Last year I saved some of my own seed so I'm especially anxious to see how they do this year. OK. The more I talk about it the more I'm losing my resolve to wait a few more weeks. LOL!

Hi everybody. I'm brand new to the sight and pretty new to the gardening world as well. This will only be my 2nd full season of planting and I confess I'm now a total adict. My friends think I'm an expert and come to me with all their questions when in truth I still know so little. (I just have them fooled 'cause I spend every spare mintue digging, planting, and weeding.) I look forward to getting to know you all.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 20, 2007
12:54 PM

Post #3102839

Well Come everyone ! Hi Jane ! I can see starting too many. I do this all the time lol Years ago when I was working and lived up North I did it every year. I shared with neighbros so they were thrilled !
Now living in a 55 plus mobile home park I still do it we just love growing year round with seeds, trade cuttings bubls and more ! We are finding our front screen porch which is 24 ft by 12 sunny and warm during the day filling up ! I feel in Feb. I will be starting a lot of seeds ! New ones I've never tried. I enjoy reading DG news letter each day, seeing new plants in Plant Files and finding where I can buy them or some nice DG trades or shares with me. I learn new things here on DG each day ! This year and have already starting we plant on trying lot's of new different seeds and oldies too !
I say go ahead and start your seeds ! It's a fun Winter Hobby while your waiting for Spring !
Happy Growing !
Allison
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #3103033

Lala Jane, Patience! ! ! Follow the instructions on the seed packet.
I've been starting my own seeds since Eisenhower was in office. Starting too early produces weak, spindly plants unless you have a greenhouse.
I tend to start my tomato seeds later than most but still have some of the earliest ripe ones around.
You may also want to set up a cold frame for that period when the seedlings need more space, sun and air.
Andy P
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 20, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #3103334

Jane I'm in Florida Tropical land so timing is different for me though I grew up my whole life just about in RI, MA and Maine so I did a lot of fun Winter sowing !There's never any harm in trying different things. If it's a special seed use some now save some. Gardening has always been a fun learning experience for me from a child ( we grew everything ) and now a Grandma ! Each year, each area we have lived the weather changes each year. Sometimes the Winters are warm and Spring comes early. Zones are now changing too. Each year we enjoy try different seeds, different growing methods and also use the ones we have used for years and had great sucess with for years along with the new ! This year were going to lots of new seeds as I've been doing some fun trading !! Different seeds can be sowed at different times . Dave's Garden has a nice Winter Sowing forum you might enjoy visitng too ! I can't wait to see pictures of people's seedlings and flowers ! Do you have favorite flowers Jane you enjoy growing !!
Some seeds I start inside with heat mats.
Main thing have Fun ! Happy Growing :))
Allison

sugarshokt
Cambridge, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2007
4:41 PM

Post #3103456

Try this site, I copied it from the winter sowing forum. I'm waiting for some of my seeds to arrive next week, ones that I purchased online. I sowed some last night that I bought last summer and put them outside.

http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/How_to_Winter_Sow.html

My b/f went out this morning and looked quite puzzled at the containers sitting on the porch. :)
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 20, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #3104531

Here is another great Winter Sow link. It's from Dave's Garden Winter Sow and I'm pretty sure it's open to everyone. There is laods of pictures and good information and Winter sowing going on there !
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/coldsow/all/
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2007
5:32 AM

Post #3105442

Thanks for all the input, you are such a friendly group! I am about to check out both the links you have provided as I can't seem to get enough ino. Me thinks gardening has always been in my blood but I was just a late bloomer. ;-)

Actually I live on a postage stamp and without any spare space I never really gave gardening much thought. But I recently acquired a small undeveloped lot behind my house and now the sky is the limit. (Well actually the finances are the limit, but you get my drift.)

Oh and I usually go by "Lala" or even just "La," but both of those names were already taken, LOL.
bolline
San Juan, PR
(Zone 10b)

January 27, 2007
8:27 PM

Post #3128882

Hi everybody!
I wish i started with this relaxing gardening before! Once i got into this, I never stopped,specially when your first seeds started to germinate! I got the American Horticultural Society's A-Z Enciclopedia Of Garden Plants and also Plant Propagation.Both Books are a nice fountain of knowledge,like this wonderful website too!
Happy Gardening and thanks a lot Dave!

This message was edited Jan 27, 2007 4:30 PM
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #3128907

A hearty WELCOME, bolline! Come on in and sit a spell!

And a hearty Welcome to all other newcomers also. And yes, 'tis a great site we have here, very sharing!

Bolline, those are both great books to have; you'll really get your moneys worth out of them! A very wise investment!

Hope to see you around the site!

Shoe
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

January 29, 2007
2:02 PM

Post #3134480

A special welcome to all new gardners. If this site is anything like Dave's Garden, it is destined to be a wealth of information, not to mention the comraderie that exists between gardners. Seasoned gardners share their bounty of knowledge like they would a bumper crop...

Enjoy your visit thru this new garden, and I hope to bump into you sometimes...

happy gardening
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 29, 2007
9:49 PM

Post #3136093

Welcome! I've been at Dave's Garden for about a year now and although I've been gardening off and on for decades, I still find myself learning about new plants and gardening things. I'll be happy to help anyone with gardening questions. Feel free to ask.

Marilyn

Here is a photo of part of my house and garden from April 11, 05.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 29, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #3136139

Here's the 'same' shot on June 24, 06. I've been re-doing the beds and am still re-doing them.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #3136763

Beautiful gardens! You did a great job!
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
1:17 AM

Post #3136847

wonderful, Marilyn...there is hope for me...
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #3140757

Thanks!

Marilyn
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #3242511

Hello- There are several of us that have seeds for newbies(don't kid yourself-I am one too and i ordered too many). Here is the link. there are available for the asking for just a self addressed envelope. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/696425/ This is located under the seed trading forum. As the season starts for different zones, we all have plenty of extras to try.
BDPollard
Yorba Linda, CA

March 14, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #3280422

I'm a California backyard gardener/canner. Orange, lemon and peach trees, three types of grapes, a 90-sq. ft vegetable garden, and flowering plants. I've two unrelated questions: 1) What do I use to fertilize gazenias?; and 2) How do I keep ants and (mostly) rodents off of my grape vines before harvest?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

Thumbnail by BDPollard

constance22
Brewster, MA
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2007
3:08 PM

Post #3340201

Here's a good newbie question: I sowed some carnation and stock seeds in those little seed sprouters. A miracle happened, and they've sprouted. A lot of them. What do I do now? One book said to "prick out" and replant the extras. ?? They have two little leaves now. Is this the right time to do that? Is it the right thing to do?
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

April 1, 2007
4:11 AM

Post #3342232

welcome to the forum you two!!

Constance, you need to thin out what has sprouted so that th ones you leave will grow strong. You can certainly try to transplant what you have thinned out, but in my experience, they never make it. so just thin out and if you transplant, and any of them take, then that is a bonus... good luck, its always fun to watch things grow from seeds, very rewarding.

Bruce, Gazanias are like a weed here, they never get fertilized and seem to thrive on neglect, you should see some of the places that i have seen gazanias sprouting. On sidewalk cracks, between cobblestones, among the ruins of Ephesus they are everywhere, at the halicarnas amphitheater, and on and on.

regarding the ants, they are troublesome to b sure, you know of course that the feed on aphids, so if you have aphids, the ants are your friend, but they can be a bother.
I used to have a big problem with ants, and i tried a lot of natural things, grits mixed with sugar, borax mixed with sugar etc., then ended up with a chemical spray, but here is something that i found that you might want to try.

Whilst ants are not a pest and do some benefit in the garden. Most people do not like a ant setting up house under their patio or in their lawn.
A sure fire way to get rid of them is mix a small bottle of clove oil (from the chemist) in a large watering can with a rose sprinkler. Quickly water this over the area the ants have set up home ... and stand back! First you will see the flying ants leaving the nest in droves, the soldier ants will follow them on foot.

it's worth a try... good luck.
vasilios
Queen Creek, AZ

March 16, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #4672021

Hi
yesterday i bought 4 Gazenias!i live in queen creek ,az.and the ground is sandy and very acidy ! what di i do and what do i feed them? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!
Vasilios
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

March 17, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #4674548

Arizona is great for gazanias. Good luck. As I recall, they grow just about in any soil conditions...
they just need a lot of heat and sunshine...and you've got that in abundance...
monkey665
Avon, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2008
6:33 AM

Post #4689815

Hi

hope someone can help me. I am starting a large garden. The area is 38 X 78. I am planning on starting seeds indoors and some outdoors directly on the soil. I understand that I should mulch. How do you start seeds and mulch at the same time. how do you mulch around seeds that have been scattered. What about birds eating them. Help, i'm confused.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #4690492

You probably don't want to do seeds and mulch at the same time, the mulch may prevent your seeds from coming up so it's best to wait until after the seedlings have sprouted and are big enough that you can mulch around them easily. To protect them from the birds you can try putting a light covering of straw over top, that should help some but will still allow light through to the seeds.
merpeg
Midwest City, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2008
6:06 PM

Post #4751510

Okay, I can save money by propogating my own ornamental potato vines, I just found out, so that will help pay for my new hosta bed, oh yes, there may be a hosta co-op, better check that out, and by saving money there, I can put in the new coleus bed and get some of the new coleuses I saw on the coleus forum, and, and, and, and, and...

This site is addicting! I have too many bare spots and too many ideas...

LOL Happy Gardening everyone!

Thumbnail by merpeg

carolyn26
Seattle, WA

April 28, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #4878298

Hi everyone! I'm very excited to be a part of DG and I have been reading so many posts filled with wonderful tips, pictures and helpful hints. My question is this: I live in the PNW-zone 7 and I want to plant some evergreen perennials-not from seed but purchasing at my local nursery. Does anyone have a suggestion of what type of perrenial I should plant? The area gets mid morning sun and then shady in the late afternoon. I don't want to have a lot of upkeep and would love a variety of color. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #4880034

Hi Carolyn, welcome to DG! You might try starting a new thread with your question, I'm not sure how many people are still paying attention to this one (to start a new thread, go back one screen to the page with the list of all the threads in the forum, then when you're there you should see a link just underneath all the navigation tabs that says "post a new thread")
fely
Kota Kinabalu
Malaysia

May 6, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #4911819

Hello. I am fely from Sabah. For anyone who never heard of Sabah, it is one of Malaysian state located at the Borneo Island. I have just started growing flowers in container. I was browsing for some information on the net when I found this great forum.

Happy gardening to all!

fely
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2008
9:24 AM

Post #4958651

Welcome Fely. What kinds of stuff do you grow in containers in Sabah? must be tropicals...

mimi2662
Brookville, IN

May 20, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #4978952

Hi...I need some advice...I moved to this house 3 yrs ago...while out walking one spring I came across a huge field of daffodils and narcisscus that had naturalized...with some investigation I found out that a lady, in the 1940's, had lived in a house there...so I assume she or someone before her had planted these and left to their own devices they spread.
Anywho, I am going to be moving in July and would love to take some of the bulbs with me to my new home...can I dig them this time of year...do I plant them immediately or in the fall or what..as you can tell I am somewhat garden illiterate...and would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.
Thanks!!!!!!!! :-)
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #4979881

Mimi, I'm no expert, but I've dug up hundreds from April to May, they always did good! They're kinda hard to kill, in my experience!
Just remember, you need to seperate every few years, or they will get smaller blooms, and finally quit blooming.
Doe/Audrey
Mertie
Webster, MA

May 27, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5007314

HI

I'm new to this forum. Looking for any help with a Mandevilla. I have it on my deck now but the nights are still pretty cool here at night so I have been bringing it in. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks
barkeli
Cleveland, OH

May 29, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5020018

I'm new to DG and really need help identifying a few flowers/weeds in my garden! Hope someone can help!

Thumbnail by barkeli

barkeli
Cleveland, OH

May 29, 2008
1:40 PM

Post #5020028

Here's another ground cover I'm wondering about!!

Thumbnail by barkeli

Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2008
1:41 PM

Post #5020032

Barkeli, if the first one is a weed, it sure is a pretty one!
Audrey
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #5020122

First one is definitely a Salvia of some sort and not a weed. Might be 'Indigo Spires' but there are other possibilities too. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/26149/ The second one I think we'll need a better shot of the flowers to really know what it is. You might want to start a new thread with your questions--I'm not sure how many people still pay attention to this one, but if you start your own more people will notice it. To start your new thread, go back one page to the page that lists all the different threads in this forum, and near the top of the page just under the navigation tabs you'll see a link that says something along the lines of "post a new thread".
sandy2008
New York, NY

October 2, 2008
9:40 AM

Post #5624169

hiiiiii
anandkbhatt
Gwalior
India

November 3, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #5746859

Hello! I am living in India (in Gwalior in the central part). Where can I get good bulbs and plants near my place. I know it probably has to Delhi, but which particular nurseries?
Best wishes.
shebs45
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #5747803

Hello anandkbhatt. Sorry, I do not have an answer to your question, but I suggest that you might want to start a new topic in this forum. This happens to be an old thread and not as many people are apt to see it as they would if you had your own thread. Best wishes and good luck in your endeavor.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2008 12:26 PM
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

November 4, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #5749539

Dinu might know. He is in India.
gurlyflower
Accord, MA

March 3, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6213354

Hi, Anand, You can buy online.
I really want to have this kind of garden

Thumbnail by gurlyflower

exdoc22
Oklahoma City, OK

December 31, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #7412302

Hi just found this interesting forum when trying to find a source for seeds of new coleus varieties featured at the Dallas ArboretumTrials. Any advice on starting coleus from seed and source of those new variety seeds? I'm in Oklahoma City and still shivering from the last blizzard and longing to try something new.
exdoc22
Lynnie6868

(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2010
12:47 AM

Post #7414708

exdoc22 start a new thread to post your question so people will see it, tucked away here it will get overlooked by people who can answer your question.
august2003
Beaverton, OR

May 18, 2010
11:23 PM

Post #7806133

Wiritng to you from Portland Oregon - How do u properly prune the dead limbs out of a hazelnut (filbert) tree. 3 limbs in the middle never leafed out this year. There is a limb that looks like it is growing like a sucker - take that out? It does still produce hazelnuts though not a great crop. How long do these trees live normally? A book to refer to that specificlly addresses the filbert. I have lots of generalized pruning books. This tree is in my son's backyard and he cannot afford a certified arborist to take a look at it.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7806553

You may get more responses if you start your own thread (go back to the screen before this where it shows the list of all the different threads, then you'll see a link near the top of the page that says "post a new thread") But...if there are dead branches you just prune those out--you only have to worry about proper pruning when you're trying to thin out branches that are all still alive. Same thing with the sucker--you just prune those off.
avianut
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7809903

Monalisa, was the flower you saw on a small shrub? If so it looks similar to those on a button bush...

Thumbnail by avianut

craigbnyc
New York City
United States

June 18, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7899222

Help,

I have a Kalanchoe house plant and I just noticed tiny green bugs on the stems as i was deadheading the plant. there are also small light-brown spore looking things on the leaves, are these little things going to turn into something else? What can I do to get rid of these things, or do i start over?
happyhoe1
Saint Petersburg, FL

June 25, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7919127

Hi everyone! I live in Central Florida toward the coast in zone 9b. I have just started growing some giant sunflowers for the first time, and am pretty excited about them. But when I went out this morning to check on them, I was dismayed to find a couple of them with brown around the leaves. Could somebody tell me what's wrong with my babies? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to plant diseases and insects.
Thanks! :)

Thumbnail by happyhoe1

kodakraf
Johor
Malaysia

December 10, 2010
12:18 AM

Post #8252763

Hi all, do anyone know this flowers?

Thumbnail by kodakraf

kodakraf
Johor
Malaysia

December 10, 2010
12:28 AM

Post #8252764

Another one.

Thumbnail by kodakraf

kodakraf
Johor
Malaysia

December 10, 2010
12:29 AM

Post #8252765

Help, the last one.Do anyone know?

Thumbnail by kodakraf

avianut
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #8264542

kodakaf, the second one looks sort-of like a marigold. Can you get any better pictures of these? Are the other ones on shrubs, or small plants?
peonierose
Melbourne
Australia

December 27, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #8279873

Hi,
Today I just started a new garden in Melbourne Australia. I have been working overseas for many years and missed having my own garden so today was a special day for me. I have a small space but want to fill it with all my favourite flowers including a Peonie Rose. I was told today that Peonie Rose do not flower in Melbourne as it's not cold enough and would appreciate it if anyone out there would confirm or otherwise this information.
willll
Ashford
United Kingdom

January 25, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8328988

I've been looking for some of thes: http://www.micropigshed.com/micro-pigs-for-sale-uk, and I can't find any information on what plants are poisonous for them... I've got no experience with having a garden or planting; any help would be mega appreciated!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 19, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8436987

I am new to this thread,not new to Dave's Garden, just this thread. Last fall I planted 3 Rose of Sharon bushes, some Irises, a few Naked Ladies, and some flowering cabbage plants. All of them are growing, the only way I knew the Rose of Sharon was still alive, I scraped a small area near the bottom of the bush and it was green, the Irises are poking their way out of the ground so is the Naked Ladies, the flowering cabbage is showing new growth too. I have a question, I put some leaves on them before winter, when is the best time to take them off and leave them off? A neighbor tole me April 15, does that sound right? I was looking at the Irises today, and I learned something you can tell what color they are going to be because when they start to grow, the plants turn the color of the flowers. I did not know that. This is my first season of doing anything like this, and I am very happy so far. So if anyone here can tell me about my question, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 19, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8437133

Also I have a question, when the RoS gets green, it will have leaves on it won't they? I know they won't bloom this year, but they will have leaves I hope.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 20, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8438062

I am pretty sure, but could someone tell me if these are Naked Ladies?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 21, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8441024

I planted some flowers called Cosmos, is there anyone who has these flowers? I have never heard of them before, my neighbor gave them to me. He said to just toss them on the ground and put the leaves over them.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 21, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8441579

I transplanted 2 Rose of Sharon bushes and I would like to know if it will bloom this summer, it had already bloomed when I transplanted them, so could you tell me if they will bloom this summer, if not how long before they do.
vickiesveggies
Spencer, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8442598

Can anyone id this flower for me? It is growing wild in my yard. Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by vickiesveggies

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 24, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8446938

This is the rose bush I transplanted at the corner of the house, as you can see, it has new growth on it and the stems are turning green. Looks like I will have roses this summer, but I don't know what kind, I think they are the small ones, I think they are called tea roses.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8447520

Cosmos are wonderful annuals. Yes just throw them on the ground, if they don't blow away, they will begin to grow this spring with some moisture,I do'nt know how but they sprout when its time. I started some one year from seed inside to transplant out after last frost and now every year I get a bigger and bigger patch. They are wonderful, a light sweet frsgrance that wafts through the air with a slight breeze. I grow Sensation mix, two shades of pink and white. Mine get approx. 4' and begin blooming about a month after sprouting. They make great cut flowers, in fact the more you cut the more branching that occurs and all the more flowers. If deadheading ( cut spent blooms ), is not done on all old blooms seed will drop to the ground and thus causing next years crop of flowers. Next spring they come up on their own, if any grow in the wrong location can be moved or just pulled, which is easy in early spring. Cosmos will bloom til frost arrives in the autumn. Many new varieties are now available, orange, yellow, dwarf pinks and white, double pinks and white, shells in pinks and white. Have fun and Good Luck, Kathy.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 24, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8447577

Thank you very,very much. I just found out about them this spring, I just threw them on the ground and covered them up with leaves, everything else is growing now, every time I cover the Irises with leaves, they poke their way through.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 25, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8449570

Is anyones Rose of Sharon trying to leaf out early?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 25, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8449991

The Irises are popping up like crazy, I just looked at them today and I swear they have grown several more inches.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 26, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8451412

Got a question about my Cosmos flowers, I threw them on the ground like everyone says to do, and put some other stuff that came with them, covered them up with leaves and left them alone. I planted them on the 21st, and so far nothing, did I do something wrong, or do I need to have more patience? Do I need to put some water on them?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 26, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8451419

Is it strange for my Rose of Sharon to try to leaf out now? It looks like it is trying to. Is anyone else's trying to, or is it just my imagination? My Rose bush is got new growth on it, when does it bloom? I transplanted it last fall from a neighbor, she thought it was a Rose of Sharon but when I saw the thorns on it I told my hubby it was a Rose bush. I think it has little tea roses on it, not sure though. As you can see, it is growing quite well, I was afraid I killed it last year, I didn't water it too well.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 26, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8451596

How can you tell what color the Iris plants are going to be, I have a purple color on the base of the growing plant, is that how you can tell? If so, they are going to be a beautiful flower, I have several plants, now they are growing quite rapidly and there are more than I thought.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8451634

Hi folks...this thread doesn't get read very often as it is a Welcome Thread. To better ensure that you get an answer to your questions, start a new thread here on the beginner Flowers forum. There is a prompt at the top of the page to start your own thread. That way, it will come up as new and anyone reading the forum will see your question
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8453290

Moonhowl is right. If you don't know what a plant is, go to the plant ID forum because those forums get read by more experienced gardeners more often, and there is a wealth of info. Before you start a new thread, see if there is a recent thread close to your needs. Sometimes a thorough answer to someone else is very educational. Also, check searches for specific plants for their needs and habits to see if that plant grows well in your area.

Teddy, you're jumping the gun. I don't know what zone you're in, guessing 5 or 6, and it is quite early for most cosmos to start growing. They are delicate plants in stature and bloom, but pretty hardy in growth. They come in varying petal colors. Popular because they are so easy to grow and reseed.

Teddy, it looks like you've got dutch iris bulbs growing. You'll have to take a picture of the bloom and let us know what colors it is. Many are multi-color. You can check out the iris form to learn more about what gardeners are doing with Dutch Iris, Tall Bearded Iris, Siberian and Japanese Irises, as well as Reticulated (dwarf) Irises that are in winter/spring blooms in zone 6.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 27, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8453480

I went out to check to see how they are doing and took some more pics of them, whatever Iris they are, they are doing quite well. The color they have at the base of the stalks, is that the color they will be when they bloom, if so, I might have some pink too.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8453495

Don't know why, but your photo is completely pixelated. I would not bet money on the color. You could be right, or it could be minerals or temperature affecting the stem color. Have you ever seen a blue stem?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 27, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8453910

The Neighbor who gave them to me just told me when they bloomed for him they were purple, so that settles that mystery. First time in 49 yrs. I have planted flowers so naturally I am a little paranoid, sorry if I have drove you nice people crazy, I get that way sometimes.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8454063

Make sure you take a picture of it when it blooms. I cannot tell from the growth that it is an iris.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 27, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8454089

Ok, I will, I love taking pictures trying to document the pattern from bulb to full bloom, since they are doing so well now, will I have to do anything except water them in the summer, and will I have to cover everything up again in the winter. Or do I just leave everything aloneand uncovered. I probably will have to cover things up when it gets cold again, won't I.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8454212

I would not especially think so, except fertilize very lightly in the spring. I'm not at all certain that what you showed is an iris, just sure that it is not a rhizomatous iris.

What was your climate/temperature today?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 27, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8454370

The temperature was in the 30's and it was breezy and chilly. Why?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8456879

Usually plant begin to grow when its time. If by chance is to early (shrub) to leaf out,just realize nature has a way of slowing down things, but if does continue to leaf nothing can do about it, nature is nature. If by chance, if you were to have a late hard frost and leaves got killed, there is an auxillary set of buds waiting to sprout if necessary. Is true of shrubs and trees. Good Luck, Kathy.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

March 29, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8457821

Thanks Kathy.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 1, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8465688

My flowers are growing rather well, except the Rose of Sharon of course and the Cosmos, my Rose bush is already climbing the shed where it is planted. It is going to be in the 30's,40's, and 50's this next week, is it ok to take the leaves I put on them last fall off completely? They are growing quite well!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8465761

I think it's time to take the leaves off.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 2, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8466602

Thank you Cathy, I want to clean up the yard (when I get a chance between the rain and still occasional snow squall). A friend of mine told me to wait until May 15, but I looked at the last frost date and it said it was March 29. I appreciate all your help on this page and will be sure to take pics of the flowers when they bloom, especially the Naked Ladies, last summer was the first time I had ever heard of them, and mine are doing ok. The thing I like the most about them is no muss, no fuss.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8466699

We took most of the leaves off this week and filled six huge bags (usually we compost, but it is too much). There are still some more to go. I fully believe they provide lots of protection and maybe some nourishment.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 2, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8466851

As you can tell, my Irises are getting taller, it is amazing really, I just planted 4 or 5 plants and already there are a dozen or more. The Naked ladies I am not too sure about, one clump looks ok, the other kind of weak looking, I hope they all grow, but if they don't, they don't.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 2, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8466856

These are the ones I'm not too sure about.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8466965

Teddy, it looks like something had lunch in your garaden.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 4, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8472126

It is amazing, I went out after it finally stopped raining and my Irises look like they are growing taller every day! I swear they are twice as big as they were last week! My Rose of Sharon is looking good too, is it possible that some of the bulbs could have fallen off and are making new plants and are coming up too? There is some new growth near them and it looks like it might be new ROS plants, is that possible?
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8472132

ANYTHING is possible.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 5, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8474320

This is the new growth I was talking about, it is right next to the other plant. And there is quite a bit too.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 6, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8475929

I do believe this is my Cosmos flowers starting to make a appearance, can anyone tell me if I am right? Sometimes its hard when the flowers start growing to be able to tell the flowers from the grass and weeds.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8476059

At this time of year, if I don't know exactly what is planted, everything looks alike to me. Invasives are usually the first to show up. If you recognize them, get them out now. There will never be an easier time.

I don't know your weather, but I'd think it would be a bit early for cosmos. Why not check out the forum for annuals, and take a look:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1167269/ and http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2898/

You'll probably get better answers than on this forum.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8477239

Looks like some sort of grass to me.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 7, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8478564

I just worked up the ground around my Irises and Rose of Sharon bushes, and gave them all a little drink of water. Hopefully I did not make a boo-boo.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 8, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8480314

My Irises are doing quite well, they are getting really tall, not so sure about the Naked Ladies, they don't seem to be getting any taller, and my Rose of Sharon bushes seem to be spreading, because new plants are coming up right beside them.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

avianut
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8482184

Just so you're not disappointed, teddy, when I transplant Naked Ladies it takes at least 2, and sometimes 3 years before they bloom...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8482305

Lycoris and Crinum can both be cranky and resentful about being moved. They are the garden's cranky old folks...they want to be left alone. GRIN
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 9, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8482322

Oh well, at least my Irises and flowering cabbage and ros are doing ok. It seems like the Irises grow more every day, and I read that the Hummingbirds love the purple ones, so when the little beauties come back, they will have something besides nectar to eat. We might have to get a sign that says Hummingbird crossing, because the feeder is on one side of the boardwalk, and the flowers are on the other side. The Hummingbirds will have plenty of perches this year too, we have a trellis around our front door, so they can eat out of the Iris and perch on the trellis.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 9, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8482915

I have read that if you want to get rid of the ros flowers all over the place, when the seedlings come up pull them up. With all the trouble I have had trying to get the flower to grow, I sure am not going to deter them from growing now. They are popping up pretty good, and the Irises are too.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 11, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8487417

Success!!! My Cosmos is finally sprouting! I guess it is my imagination, but it seems like the sunshine made my Irises grow like crazy! Yesterday the temps were in the 80's, with plenty of sun. When I put the Cosmos down, there was a package of some sort of seeds that would help make them grow faster, I think maybe some of them got around my Irises because you can almost sit out there and watch them grow!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 11, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8488437

I have heard about the flowers called Callas Lily? Are they easy to plant in my region? I am in the northern part of Indian Lake so winters are harsh and summers are brutal sometimes, should I not even try to plant any?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8488458

Teddy, check out the gardeners notes on this DG link. You can grow them you just have to dig them up and store them over the winter, or grow them in a container you can protect from freezing weather.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/768/
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 11, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8488525

As you can tell from this picture, the Irises are shooting up quite well, I was looking at these and I looked real close and there is another sprout coming up beside this one! They spread like crazy! I only planted like about 3 or 4 plants and I got more than that coming up. I don't mind, I love my flowers.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 13, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8492353

My Cosmos are sprouting, you were right, that was grass I took a picture of, I see the sprouts better now, they are growing pretty good. Do I need to do anything to them now that they are sprouting? Like water them or anything?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 14, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8495342

Here is one of the Cosmos sprouts.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 14, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8495351

There are about 5 of them, I was beginning to think they were never coming up, but I guess the [erson who told me to have patience, knew what they were talking about!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8495565

Every year I plant new calla lilies (zantedeschia). They are relatively easy to grow, but I never get around to pulling them for the winter. The bloom is not a true flower but is lovely and lasts for at least 3 weeks. Sometimes the foliage is very pretty.
I meant to add a photo. I'll try to add it after.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8495665

I have to stop hitting the "send" key when I mean "choose."

These are callas, and I'll send one that shows some foliage.

Thumbnail by cathy166

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8495678

These zantedeschia leaves are partially translucent. Some of the leaves have a beautiful red design.

Thumbnail by cathy166

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 14, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8495751

I am very surprised at the growth of the Irises, they are really shooting up, unfortunately I found out one of my Rose of Sharon bushes might be dead, I scraped it with my fingernail and it was brown. The other one is still green and there are seedlings around it, there are some around the dead looking one but I am not going to pull it, I will just leave it where it is. The Cosmos ought to be very pretty when it blooms, if they do this summer. All of a sudden they just popped up and are growing pretty fast. That is why I took the picture, that way when they get 5 or 6 ft. tall, I can show when they were 1 or 2 inches tall. LOL!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 16, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8499949

I now have 10 sprouts for my Cosmos plants, after all that rain and brief periods of sunshine they are popping up like crazy!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 17, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8502020

I now have 13 Cosmos sprouts popping up, this sun is really helping with all the flowers. I am anxious to see them when they bloom, I don't know if the Irises are going to bloom or not, I hope so, the hummers will love them when they come back. Have not seen any yet, so I don't know, I am not a professional gardener. One says they will bloom, another says they won't, so I will just wait and see. I think I will go to a web page and see what they say.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 17, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8502067

I will ask the professionals on this page, I could not get any straight answers on the web pages, I planted the Irises last fall, will they bloom this year, they sure are getting tall. It seems like when you go to the web pages they do not answer you with a plain yes or no, I know the people here will.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8504553

If planted at the proper depth they should bloom this spring, (ie , no more than an inch of soil on the rhizome, some people call them knees and leave them exposed, others don't, the roots are actually beneath the rhizome). Good Luck, Kathy. P.S> some won't bloom if too deep.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8505494

I guess these are tall bearded irises (with rhizomes). Sometimes if you read the iris forum, you need to read between the lines. Eventually they make a lot of sense. Dutch irises are small bulbs, and the wetlands irises I planted are plain plants with roots (Japanese iris).

Believe me when I tell you that you can ask a good question, and the very best of gardeners will give you conflicting info (LOL). Many times it is because their planting zones and conditions vary greatly. If you've got rhizomes, they want a little warmth, sitting about half way covered. Last year I replanted irises that had been at the side of the house since we bought it six seasons ago. I don't recall seeing them bloom, so a new home might encourage them.

Are these the irises your neighbor gave you? If so, he/she could give you valuable advice.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8505515

I have been going to Long's Iris Gardens for years now and every year get some newbies to add to the collection. Seems to me if I didn't divide down too small I always got blooms the following spring. I'm ready for my dwarf to begin blooming in the next few weeks, then will have a month or more of bloom, dwarfs, intermediates, tall (germans), then siberian and japanese. Yummmmmm!! Good Luck, Kathy.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 20, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8508785

More Cosmos plants, I am so happy that they have finally sprouted, took them long enough!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Chosendia

(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8511082

Hello, I am new to DG. I am a beginner of garden new flowers. I have not had time to do this, but now I do. I look forward to getting ideals and tips from whoever will share. The photo is a baby of mine. Thank you!

Thumbnail by Chosendia

Chosendia

(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8511084

Thanks for the welcome

Thumbnail by Chosendia

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8511089

Hi Chosendia. welcome to DG. I am sure you will find lots to look at here and lots of folks willing to share their garden knowledge with you. welcome aboard and enjoy yourself.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 23, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8516080

Hello everyone, you won't believe it, my neighbor just gave me two new Rose of Sharon bushes that he got in the mail, the y have roots and he planted them for me, and I gave them a lot of water, is it possible to overwater new bushes? They have buds on them, will they bloom this year? I have never gotten bushes in the mail, but I have heard of people getting seeds and seedlings. But if it grows as big as the parent bush, I am going to have one heck of a BIG bush.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8516233

The bushes get full over time, like a couple of years. Do not be surprised if the buds you see fail to mature and bloom. If this happens, do not think you've done anything wrong.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 24, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8517855

This is the Rose of Sharon I have at the end of the sidewalk outside the latticework, as you can see, it is trying to leaf out. I hope it blooms, but not sure, it is still somewhat small, even if it don't bloom, the greenery is still pretty.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 25, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8519443

My Cosmos seems to like this weather, there are so many sprouts, I can't keep count. They are growing quite well and even the Naked Ladies are doing ok, they have not gotten much taller, but they aint dead either.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8519693

Teddy, you might want to check out the annuals forum instead of this, whichmay not get as much attention. The thread is long and old.

See http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1167269/#top and http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1159080/?hl=cosmo

There is a lot of info and much to learn from others in these different locations, and you can do a search if it will help. You can keep certain locations as favorites and check frequently.

I'm glad you are enjoying your green friends. Now that it seems to be warmer, even at night, you'[ll see lots of stuff pop.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

April 26, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8521056

I can go to these sights but I can't see anything, you have to be a subscribing member to go on those. My one clump of Naked Ladies seems to be doing real good, the others are actually getting a little more to them. Who knows maybe all that rain helped them, or maybe it is time for them to grow a little more.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8521383

Teddy, I think Cathy is trying to let you know that this particular thread is under a welcome heading...very few folks read these a second time, so very few folks see your posts.

After you log on, click on the Beginner Flowers Forum. Up at the top of the page (before you get into an individual post) there is a legend saying Post a new thread. Click on that, give it a name (Teddy's garden) (My plants) whatever you want. Then post your message/pictures/etc there. That way folks know you have posted a new msg. and you will know they have responded. This gives you a thread that is unique to you On most of the forums, the Welcome thread is called a (sticky)...you can read the info but it is blocked to replies. If you look at the original date on this thread, you will see it is from 2007. When you start your own it will have the date you started it and folks can see that it is a new, fresh thread and be more inclined to read and reply to it.

You are in the right place for the info (Beginning Gardener)...just not the most beneficial place for you. We are all happy you are here on DG and happy to help, comment, and discuss...you just need to start your own personal thread so we know when you do post.
flowblue
Southern California, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 23, 2011
11:28 PM

Post #8711868

is there anyone who has streptocarpellas? i am interested in learning more about this plant.

streptocarpella belongs to the african violet family and is a sub of streptocarpus. although the flowers of both look the same they are totally different from each other. the streptocarpellas are easier to grow and bloom all year round. does anybody know of a nursery who sells them in these colours? deep purple, white, and baby blue.

thank you for any information.
gcreek
SHELBIANA, KY

June 8, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9156809

I just planted a perennial garden last spring. This spring (recently) I replanted and moved some perennials around because the daylillies got so big they hid the others in back (hostas). I planted on a slope. The soil seems to be good but I haven't tested it. How can I keep the pine bark mulch from rolling off when I water and what can I do to to help my knockout roses? They are not thriving at all like others I have seen in my neighborhood.

Thumbnail by gcreek

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 10, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9159671

Your border looks wonderful, dont be moving things about now as it is too hot and the plants might not recover from the transplant stress they all go through,
As ragrdas the water washing off the pine bark on the soil as it is on a slope, then how about if you could rig up a SOAK Drip watering system, these are not cheap from the stores but we just make them from OLD hose pipes, we use a sharp pointed knife / screw driver or nail hammered into the old pipe every 6 inches apart, make sure you make the holes going one way then turn over and make the next holes either side so you have 4 punkture holes at each 6 inches to make enough water soak out onto the soil.
You can leave this hose in place all the time and just connect it to the water tap when you want to water, you could get really tech and have this on a timer but I have in the past sust had the water comected for a few hours and it is not on full flow as this would send the water sky high from the holes in the pipe and the force would disturb the pine bark. I would be enclined to place this soak hose UNDER the bark once you have tested how much flow you require, I have a friend who buries her soak hoses as she makes the beds and they get plantd over, under or beside, this might be the way to go instead of loosing the mulch, the other thing to think about is that IF your mulch is floating away then perhaps also your water aplication is washing off the soil instead of getting to the root area as when soil is really dry it gets a crust on the top and water floats off the crust rather than get through to the UNDER soil.
Good luck. WeeNel.
n00b
Glendive, MT

July 27, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9220468

How in the world do I find my zone on this board?! I've wasted about all of my searches trying to find out how some of you are posting that you're in 'zone a,b, etc.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9220479

Hi n00b...see if this link helps you.

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-montana-usda-plant-zone-hardiness-map.php
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9220499

gcreek, I pulled out my daylilies and gifted them to a gardening buddy because they took up too much real estate in my prime area. I planted them myself as small plants, and within three years they were bushes beyond control, so it is a good idea to keep an eye on them. Daylilies thrive in lots of places and may not need a prime spot.

Your plants look lovely.
n00b
Glendive, MT

July 27, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9220628

Thanks moon. Now I'm a bit confused, altho' I suppose they're close enough, I've found in different sites that I'm zone 4, zone 4a, & zone 3b.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9220638

Make sure you put your zip code in at the top. These are USDA zones for average winter temperatures. You can have microclimates in your yard as well that increase or decrease your zone depending on elevation, etc. You may have a shorter summer season, but you can have lots of successes,

You may check another website that might be easier to follow, and by checking more than one, it may be easier to understand. We are all learning.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9220722

I am sorry n00b...that one is a rather complex map as it is charting Montana as a whole. It will show zones according to elevation, water bodies, etc.

This is the USDA zone map site below. it is very easy to interact with, and is the org. that publishes the zones...

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
n00b
Glendive, MT

July 28, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9221354

Thanks cathy. I did the zip code & at a few places. That's what caused my confusion.

moon, no need to appologize, I just assumed there was a link here at Dave's (which I've since found) since posters were all using the number-letter zone. Thanks to you also for the links.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9221493

Glad ya got what ya needed. Welcome to DG.
n00b
Glendive, MT

July 30, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9223493

Help again please!
I'm having the worst time trying to understand how to navigate this forum :(
I clicked into 'My info' where it shows I have an image pending but I can't figure out how to 'finish' posting it.
I think I know where I thought it was getting posted but it's not there. I had posted a question about a plant but didn't have the option to post pic, then somehow found an option & think maybe that's where it got hung up? I suppose I could go back & re-post but that still won't solve my question.

I'm not completely unfamiliar with forums, I've been posting in 'computer help' forums for years & have no problem navigating them.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9223517

n00b, I am not really sure how to help you resolve this...but, check out this link...at the very least it will put you in contact with ADMIN and they are most helpful. Terry, Melody and Joan have helped me with various questions in the past.

http://davesgarden.com/faq/home/
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9224146

Looks like you were posting in the Plant Files database (I see that you left a comment there asking about a weed that was growing in your Portulaca). Plant Files works a little different than the forums--if you submit a picture to Plant Files it needs to be a picture of the plant that entry is about (so in this case, only a picture of Portulaca sativa would be acceptable--a picture of a weed growing in your Portulaca would not). Pictures uploaded to Plant Files wait in a queue to actually go in--in this case it sounds like you probably uploaded a picture that was something other than Portulaca sativa so hopefully the admins will catch it and reject it, but if they don't you should ask them if they could remove it. Your best bet if you want your weed identified would be go to the Plant Identification forum and start a thread, and underneath the box where you type your post you will see a link to upload a picture. Pictures that get uploaded with a post like that don't have any wait time for approval, they should go through right away. Here's a link to the ID forum if you haven't been there yet: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/
n00b
Glendive, MT

July 31, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9225204

Thanx moon & ecrane for your replies.

I think I'm gonna have to do a lot more study as to how this whole site works before I do anymore goofs.

As far as I'm concerned, the Admins can delete anything I've done so far 'cuz I think I probably posted everything to the wrong spots.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9225343

Really the only time it's worth removing things is if you posted an incorrect picture in Plant Files. If you posted questions in the wrong forum or something then just re-post when you figure out the right place. I highly recommend getting to know the following 3 forums, chances are most things you want to know you can ask about in one of the three. Then once you're comfortable with them you can explore the other forums.
Plant Identification (for any mystery plants/weeds in your garden): http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/
Garden Pests & Diseases (for identifying what's eating your plants, why the leaves are turning brown/yellow/black/etc) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/pad/all/
Beginner Gardening (for any other questions that don't fit in one of those other two categories): http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/b_gardentalk/all/

In all of them, I would encourage you to start your own thread (vs posting on an older existing thread as you've done here), that way your questions will get seen by a lot more people. To start a new thread, scroll all the way to the bottom of the main forum page (which is what I've linked to above for the three forums I recommended) and you'll find an area to post a new topic. Hope that helps!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9225902

Looks like ecrane has got ya covered n00b...the info and folks you find here are gonna be worth the time to figure things out with the sites. Also, if you see a post and have a "private" question to ask, then just place your cursor over the person's username and click...that will take you to their info page and you can send them a D-mail (e-mail).
dusbal
Neville, OH

February 14, 2013
3:15 AM

Post #9418539

thanks for all the information guys

http://www.doltuku.co
http://www.haii.co

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM
Knockout Roses MrNvestor 6 Mar 26, 2007 6:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America