Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 24, Views: 658
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

January 18, 2007
4:52 PM

Post #3096871

This forum is here as a special place where you can ask ANY question about vegetable gardening. It's our hope that this forum will make a comfortable introduction to gardening for any of our members who need it. Have fun!

Dave
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3097323

Hi there, and please allow me to add my welcome to Dave's. There are many, many people here in the Dave's Garden community who are more than happy to help out our newcomers, so please don't be shy. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience here for you to draw on.

Enjoy the time you spend here, and feel free to ask us anything you want to about vegetable gardening. I don't personally have much experience in this area, so I'll only be able to "listen" for the most part - and probably learn as much as you do :-) Happy gardening!

--Ginny
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #3097905

Oh wow! This is great. I have hundreds of plants in a small greenhouse but that is all I know about gardening. I raise anything from African violets to tropicals, but I do not know anything about growing vegetables. I an so glad that Dave made this new forum.

This year I would like to do something similar to the Square Foot gardening. But I have no idea where to buy seeds and when to start them. I can't wait for you long time gardeners to jump in. I know we will learning a lot from you.

Once again thanks for starting this forum.

Jesse
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #3112528

Thanks Dave, for this wonderful new section. What a great idea. Some of us who are less experienced won't feel so silly with our goofy questions. haha But then, how would we learn if we didn't have anyone to help us with those kind of questions ? I'm so glad there are so many wonderful folks here at Dave's Garden to help us newbie gardeners.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 13, 2007
6:54 PM

Post #3185319

Thanks Dave,
even though I've been out there growing MGs and other tropicals, I really needed a place to learn about veggie growing.

This seems like a good place for alot of us in my shoes.

A.
freetwofarm
North Tazewell, VA

April 3, 2007
3:49 PM

Post #3351475

Thanks Dave. I'm new to gardening and need all of the help I can get. Looks as if DG is just the right spot for me.
tiramisu
Carmel, IN

June 15, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #3616506

Hi,
This is my first year gardening so I'll probably have lots of questions. I was trying to grow some sunflowers and as soon as I seed them in the ground, critters would come and dig them up, but a couple of seeds did sprout but again critters would eat it before it even has a chance. Now, I've read that marigolds would help keep critters away. Well I went out and bought tons of marigolds, not only did it not help, my marigolds ended up dying instead. So I tried planting more marigolds not sure it doesn't work. Well guess what? My marigolds lasted about 2 wks before dying again. I am not sure what i'm doing wrong, I mulched it and water it everyday. My questions are...how do you keep critters away and why are my marigolds dying? I did noticed lots of holes in the leaves. Could it be insects eating them? Not sure if I'm making much sense at all but any feedback would be appreciated.
gn63
Banks, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #3616663

Thanks, Dave. I have lots of questions to come up as I try to garden. We really needed a place that does not cost us anything to be able to see if otheres have gardening problems...Thanks...gn
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 16, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #3620586

Hi From Scotland Dave, Veg gardening has really taken off again here in UK, it was the done thing up till about 1960s, then everyone just started buying veg, now however, people want good old fresh fruit and veg that has not traveled miles to get to them, they seem more aware of all the chemicals store bought veg have sprayed all over them and others just want to get out in the fresh air and get some backache, so all in all, I hope more people take up fruit and veg gardening, it is a great way to spend your time, thanks for the welcome, hope more UK folks join in. Good Luck all, Weenel
johnnyblase

June 16, 2007
9:54 AM

Post #3621149

i dont know, every body here is from europe but i am different. i come from cameroon, N.W Province and santa in particular. i am into vegetable gardening, i grow carbages,celery,lettus and others the problem i have been incuring for my two years in this field is that during the rainy season my crops suffer from serious leaf blight problems.i usually spray them with fungicide(dacobre)but now the no longer respond to this medicine. What else can i try??
imnewhere
Southfield, MI

July 19, 2007
1:07 PM

Post #3754086

Hi Dave, I just found you and looking forward to all the help I can get. I am no green thumb, but I'm giving it a shot. I started 'container gardening' vs. 'in ground' because I am such a wimp when it comes to bugs...and I thought there would be less bugs to deal with using containers on my decks. THAT was my first mistake. We live on an acre lot that is 2/3 cleared. We are surrounded by wetlands and lakes. Last season was my first year doing this; I started with tomatoes and strawberries. The strawberries were dismal and the tomatoes were moderately OK. This year I am only focusing on tomatoes. Wish me Luck! Thanks
pulsara
dublin
Ireland

January 12, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #4389631

Hi Dave
This is are great site so much to see I wonder if there is any one that can help me my back garden is over run with mice I was feeding the birds and did not know I was feeding the mice as well now they are every where even under my plants its winter now and the mice have come into my house I put down traps but only got one now I think one is dead because there are a lot of flies in my house I have to get rid of the mice before march or I will not be able to plant because the mice will eat every thing Help
FarmerClark
Englewood, FL

January 18, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #4418441

Whilst sired in the frozen (yet sometimes fertile) tundra farmlands of Wisconsin I now live in Florida where this past season we tried to find our roots, so to speak.

Here is one of our issues:

There were these worm-holes on (mainly the top of) our tomatoes.

To be honest I did not have the heart to pour this poison we bought for the worms that were bothering our fruit the past few weeks (the sales person said this was "organic poison" or some such thing but I am pretty sure that is an oxymoron). Perhaps I can spray some more dishwasing liquid at 'em but prefer to discourage their advance - without commiting herbicide - by planting a bunch of garlic and maybe some onions.

I heard that was a good idea from the internet which means that idea is probably completely wrong but every once in a while it is a good idea to ask yourself: "what's the worst that can happen"? - A whole bunch of garlic and onions?

So unless one of you try to stop me, I plan on sticking a bunch of garlic cloves and/or onion seeds around the edge of our little garden and, if need be, will just use a couple of the garlic cloves/bulbs (yeah, we know the difference - we ain't dat stupid) we bought at the grocery store, or seven-eleven, or (GULP) hardware store or some other place (hint, hint) that know they will do OK in the Englewood, Florida area (this is on the gulf coast of Florida near Sarasota, in case you need to know - hint, hint) and stick those little stuckers in the ground wid a bunch 'o dirt 'round it!

Please do not try to stop us as we love garlic and onions anyway (so this would just add to our home-grown salads we have already) so you might as well provide any ideas you may have (even if garlic/onions do squat for pests in our area - we have plenty of dishwashing soap to keep the bugs away if need be) especially if you have any experience with growing garlic/onions in the gulf coast area of Florida . . .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #4422762

FarmerClark, you got it right!

As for the other questions... if you set your questions out in a separate thread, they most likely will be answered. This thread is basically just a Welcome thread.
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #4423183

Didn't this used to be a "sticky" thread? It doesn't seem to be any more...
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2008
3:39 AM

Post #4423199

I am so glad this forum is here! I am attempting tomatoes again this year, and I've got a packet of spring-mix type lettuce I'm going to give a try!
Tagged63
Edinburg, PA

June 19, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9172282

I have been planting for the past few years now and every year has been a little different, but this year has been specially different for the prior years. This year I went to my brother in laws farm and got some choice soil along with some cow manure. I have 3 tomato plants and 3 habanero, and 5 other pepper plants. Well this year I decided to plant them all in separate pots. When I set up the pots I layered all of them with a layer of soil then layer of manure then soil then manure on top. Before I planted my plants I mixed it all up really well. They have all been planted for about 3 weeks now and doing well. Well every year I use this stuff called Neptunes Harvest. Its organic and is made of fish and seaweed and its a liquid. Instead of mixing it up in water and poring it over my pots I just pored about. a tablespoon of it on the top of the soil and watered it down. I did this 3 days ago and tonight when I went out to water them, I noticed a white fuzzy substance laying on top of the soil and one of my habanero plants all of the leaves were fell off the stock and the only pepper that was on it was laying in the opt of the pot. Did by chance I just kill my tomato's and peppers?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9172588

If you've got good drainage, try flushing the soil for a few minutes to wash out some of what you poured in. Then, let the soil dry out a bit before you come back in.

I killed 1/3 of my tomato crop of 212 seedlings last January by over fertilizing. I flushed the soil, and it did help what didn't die to recover.

Hope this helps.
shawn47
Scottsville, KY

June 26, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9182197

i have a white powdery mildew on my cucumber plants how can i treat it
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9183366

I use Rosepride on my ornamentals, don't know if that would be good for veggies, though.
lindasch100
Chino Valley, AZ

July 6, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9195319

thank you thank you for this forum. this is the first year for gardening for me. I planted in the fenced area where I kept a pig last year. The "pig" soil is so rich, although a bit heavy. Some of my plants are going great, some just OK. I planted ONE zucchini and now have picked 4, I planted jicama seeds, but can't tell about them yet. I tried an upside down tomato grower: not so good. I have HUGE lemon cucs. I have always been an animal person (breed horses) but this gardeing thing is really fun.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9195330

Lindasch100,

From one Linda to another, welcome aboard! And, yes! this gardening thin is fun!
angelsinmygarde
Kelowna, BC
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9459944

Welcome all. Ty so much for this thread I am new and am hungry to learn. I am growing tomatoes and peppers and geraniums under my grow light in the basement. Its about 20 C or 70 something F. I have been leaving the lights on 24/7 for the heat...what do U think>? we cannot plant outdoors here until mid May.

I sure hope I can get these to grow so I can transplant in the garden.;) any others from Canada British Columbia I am from a Volcanic soil mostly I hear it is alkaline. Very hot and very dry summer desert conditions.

Happy gardening
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9460128

I'm not sure about the soil, so hopefully someone will jump in on that.

But, seems to me the growth cycle needs a period of darkness. Have you thought about a heat mat?
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9460688

The heat mat is a good idea. Syramani is correct that they need a period of dark as well. The norm is about 16 hours of light. You can always use a timer to turn the lights on and off. I found a good and reasonably priced one at Lowe's. I always forget to turn them off and have found the timer invaluable. How cold is your basement? Plants don't mind it cool - 50's and above. If you are trying to germinate then it is better to have a higher temperature but if they have already germinated they should be OK. The heat mat will raise the temps as well as the lights. You could also try to create some kind of cover at night if necessary. I have all kinds of plastic domes that came with my starter trays - maybe you have some of those as well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM
Advice needed in North Carolina Pinger42 40 Feb 13, 2010 1:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America