Photo by Melody

Beginner Houseplants: Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 39, Views: 606
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

January 18, 2007
4:53 PM

Post #3096873

This forum is here as a special place where you can ask ANY question about enjoying plants indoors. It's our hope that this forum will make a comfortable introduction to gardening for any of our members who need it. Have fun!

Dave
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2007
7:01 PM

Post #3097314

Hi there, and please allow me to add my welcome to Dave's. There are many, many people here in the Dave's Garden community who are more than happy to help out our newcomers, so please don't be shy. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience here for you to draw on.

Enjoy the time you spend here, and feel free to ask us anything you want to about indoor gardening. You may even find some of us (me for instance - I'm just starting to get more involved in indoor gardening) get as much benefit from your questions as you do :-) Happy gardening!

--Ginny
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 18, 2007
11:37 PM

Post #3098071

Hi Everyone New to Dave's Garden Well Come much !!
I enjoy all types of gardening House plants, Tropical's, Growing by seed is a joy too my Hubby and I both enjoy ! We just like growing everything ! Were growing more outside now than in as living in Florida Tropical weather makes it even more fun we have fount we can grow everything ! Each day I enjoy reading Dave's News seeing new photo's in Plant Files learning about new plants and finding where I can buy them ! Amazing all the beautiful plants there are we have been trying a lot of new ones and most Thanks to nice caring people on DG's sharing with us ! I'd like to share with you all too !
I like to share information and answer any questions I can . I enjoy trading and sharing what ever I have too !
Have fun ! Allison
sjonesartist
Brick, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #3098264

thanks...i joined yesterday, and have recieved so much help so far, and started a journal. so glad i found the site. i plan on enjoying it for a long time.
stephanie
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #3098381

Stephanie, a Hearty WELCOME TO DG! Hope to see you around the site! The best people on the 'Net hang out here, now you are one of them, too! You'll love this place!

Allison, be seeing you around, too. I guess we've not crossed paths much yet but look forward to seeing more of your posts!

Happy Day to all!

Shoe.
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #3098404

Welcome Stephanie! Glad you could join us :-)

--Ginny
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #3098537

Hi shoe Thanks nice to meet you ! I changed my ID from Violet_Treasures today and use to grow a lot of African violets. I don't now beacasue of health . We have several house plants still with help , and grow many things outside. Here were lucky almost anything can grow Happy outside year round.
then again every house plant at one time grew outside . I have enjoyed growing all my life and each day I am finding new plants I must try !
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #3098604

Ahhh..."violet treasures", yes, I remember seeing that name. Thanks for alerting me to the change.

You've got the perfect weather in Fla for growing many things. (I was born and lived some of my early life in the Bradenton/Sarasota area!)

Enjoy your plants, and be sure to share the enjoyment with the rest of us!

Happy Growing!

Shoe.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2007
2:20 AM

Post #3098621

Oh yes Shoe Bradenton/Sarasota area is real nice. Both my older sons and their familys live in Sarasota. I have lived there too.
How is your weather ? They say were the warmest in the Country. I feel for the people with all the cold . I grew up after my first three years in New Jersey, mostly RI, Ma, Maine, PA, OH :))
It's a joy we have so many housplants to grow and help keep the Winter Blues away !
Happy Growing nice to meet everyone !
babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3141967

Hi, I started on DG some time ago but have been unable to post anything for a long time. I REALLY love plants- indoor and outdoor, but I am such a brown thumb! Can I be part of this forum? Because I sure need it! I hope everyone can excuse my silly questions that I may have at times. I hope that I can learn some things to help me be more of a green thumb. (At least a brighter color, other than brown...LOL) I am glad that there is a " beginner houseplants" forum. Maybe now I can stop killing my poor plants! I hope I can be accepted to this forum.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #3142092

Welcome, babybird! Sure! Come on in and sit a spell! Lots of good folks here to offer input, advice, and also ask questions! In other words, Make yourself at home!

Allison, guess I didn't see your response above. But as for the weather, snow/ice moving in here tonite and tomorrow, a balmy 33degrees here right now! Brrr.

Everyone have a great day!

Shoe
biggplants
Irondale
Canada

January 18, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #4418304

Hello, I am new to the board; not new to plants, I grow lots of them, inside and out, some unknown species but all very bigg! I will be posting some ID questions!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2008
4:02 AM

Post #4418571

Welcome to the site, biggplants.

Will be watching for your posts!

Shoe
bonez910
Caledonia, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2008
5:33 AM

Post #4418998

Hi everyone I'm new here and I love gardening and anything about plants when I found this site I was so happy that it wasn't a fake, I signed up for some orchid web site to learn more about them and it turned out to be a bunch of kids talking about music. So I'm happy to be here!!! ;)
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #4419566

Welcome everyone! You will absolutely Love this Garden! There are many wonderful folks here with great information. I have been helped many times by very knowledgeable folks here! I have posted photo's and have had plants correctly identified and I've also gotten some great care and culture tips too. I have been growing house plants for more than 40 years. I used to kill every plant that came into my house. It was very discouraging and made me want to give up on live plants, but I just couldn't totally stop bringing a pretty little plant home with me when I saw one that caught my eye! I must admit, I did have a few artificial/silk plants in the hosue for a number of years because I was killing the live ones with too much water! I think over watering is the biggest cause of a plants decline. With me it's just trial and error with certain plants. One that is supposed to be very easy to grow will give me a lot of trouble and not survive and then one that is supposed to be difficult seems to thrive. I am so happy that I found the Dave's Garden website! I have gotten some really good information and tips since subscribing and I've made some wonderful friends along the way!

So, don't hesitate to ask questions here on this forum! No question is too silly ... believe me! I have asked some questions that I thought sounded pretty dumb but have learned a lot from folks here!

Welcome, Enjoy ... and Happy Gardening!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #4421560

Ditto what Plantlady said, "Welcome to the Site"! You just found your new 'home away from home'!!

See you around the site!

Shoe
GrowinEngrGirl
Pocatello, ID
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2008
5:54 AM

Post #4463740

I'm really glad to have found this site. I think I've managed to explore about 75% of what is availabe... yes, that has taken me a while! lol I finally realized I just needed to register. :-) I love both houseplants and gardeing. The only problem is that I had moved around so often (Military) that I coud never keep anything for long. Now I've actually had the same houseplants for about 3 years! I quite recently started to dabble in Orchids too. I currently have 5 and it takes all the willpower in the world not to buy one every time I see them. My biggest houseplant foes are my two lovely kitties who enjoy nibbling on some of them, and my ability to lose track of time resulting in the poor babies ending up a bit on the dry side. Hey, that's better than when I first started with houseplants and I'd drown them to death!.. Leaves turning brown and wilting? It must need more water! Haha
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

January 29, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #4466713

Welcome all you new folks, I second the remark that there are no questions classed as silly, just things that need answered or explained fuller, so never be afraid to ask, how do you think all gardeners got started, be learning and asking.
I grow indoor and outdoor plants, I am lucky in lots of ways in that here in Scotland, we have four seasons, though sometimes it feels like we get them all in the one day, I will be visiting Naples Florida all March and cant wait, the sun, warm evenings and wandering around looking into folks gardens OOOOhing and AHHHHHing at all the lovely plants they grow outdoors and I have to grow them indoors, what an upside down world we live in eh. Have great fun on the forums and enjoy your inside or outside gardening, knowing you have lots of friends to help you along the path. best wishes to you all. WeeNel.
gold1
Denver, CO

February 3, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #4491014

Hi everybody, I'm a newby to the site. I just found it today, I'm looking foward to all the help and knowledge. I've always loved plants but they never seem to thrive. I discribe myself as having a yellowish-brown thumb! So I will be one asking some silly questions.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #4491069

Welcome Gold1 ... and feel free to ask questions! I have been growing houseplants for more than 40 years and I still have to ask questions! That's what's so great about this "Garden" ... we all help each other, sharing tips and ideas and learning from each other! I have learned so much since becoming a subscriber a year ago!

Again, welcome and Happy Gardening!
Benn
Silverdale, WA

February 3, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #4491361

Hi, just found the site. This is fantastic, I was getting so tired of sifting through the net for useful information. I just started gardening about 7 months ago. At the moment I have a bizarre assortment of plants with my only theme being a short life expectancy for any plant that comes under my care. Actually I'm not quite that bad but it is just so hard to throw them out. Luckily my jade plant is doing really well which helps keep me motivated.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2008 11:12 PM
sunflower40
naga
Philippines

February 16, 2008
5:25 PM

Post #4546403

Hi everybody,i just found the site when im searching for images of euphorbia milli, i have found it interesting and decided to join. I love planting and fascinated when i started it with a seed, its a kind of happy feeling when i see plant grows, and im fond of rescuing "homeless plants", i love flowering plants,ornamentals,outdoor and indoor plants... hope you can help me guys with all my questions and share tips on how to nurture plants, i am also a nature lover and helps me feel that God is with me and even pray when im planting, thank you guys for welcoming the new members of DG.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #4548952

Sunflower40, a Hearty WELCOME TO DG!

Glad you found your latest Home away from Home! You'll love it here!

Hope to see you around the site! Would love to hear about life in the Philippines, too! Please feel free to share!

Best to you and yours,
Shoe
dirtface
Arlington Heights, IL

February 18, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #4555721

I'm also new to Dave's Garden. I found the site listed in a gardening magazine article and though I'd give it a try. I'm excited about all the information and interesting, enthusiastic gardening folks to talk to.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #4556111

dirtface (love that name!!), WELCOME!

This garden is growing by leaps and bounds, glad to have you aboard!

Looking forward to your input, questions, answers, and if possible, pictures!

Happy Gardening to ya!

Shoe
GrandmaBecky
Moreno Valley, CA

March 17, 2008
6:08 AM

Post #4673505

I would like to grow an ivy on my second floor ledge, growing to the right and down the stars. I have 3 windows on the second floor that have natural light coming in during the day. I would also like to start a flower bed on the second floor. I have a large house and would like to bring the outside in. Possibly a flower tree.
Please give me some advise.
Becky
SemiGreenThumb
Sandy Springs, GA

March 22, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #4695473

Hi! I am new to this site and to gardening as well. Everyone seems very nice and welcoming. I just purchased my first few houseplants about a week ago; I hope this site and the wonderful people who use it can help me maintain them. I am learning new things already! I started a diary and plan on using the journal as well. Hopefully I can turn my semi-green thumb into a fully green thumb! I look forward to meeting new people and learning as much as I can from this site!

Soil, water and sunshine,

-SemiGreenThumb
nancy_vss
Adel, GA

March 25, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #4705119

hi! i'm new to dave's. i answered a couple of questions some members had and i asked this question but i think i was in the wrong "thread". i don't know how to manuver chat rooms. my friend gave me a nepenthes alata hb she got at walmart. this is the cutest plant i have ever seen. it looks like a bunch of pitcher plants on threads. it is carnivorous and it is related to pitcher plants but i'm having trouble with care and feeding. the tag says shade and that's all. my friend said the cups were full of water when she bought it but she dumped them out to transport it home. do i fill them back up? i googled it but everything i've found out so far is vague to say the least. they want to talk about pitcher plants nepenthes alatha without the hb. any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks--nancy_vss
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #4705576

Hi Nancy, you'll probably get more advice if you start a new thread with your question. Go back one screen from here to the page that shows all the different discussions in this forum, then if you look near the top of the page just underneath the row of tabs, you'll see a link that says "Post a New Thread". Click on that and it'll take you to a text box where you can start a new discussion.
smoothjazz
Baytown, TX

March 25, 2008
9:01 AM

Post #4706596

Hola everyone, I just found this site and excited. I've been growing indoor plants for the past couple of years. I'm looking for some new plants to grow. I've been growing ivy's and ferns I would like some color. Any ideas anyone? I'm looking forward to meeting yall and learning from ya. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #4722533

Hi All, it's great to meet new gardeners and old alike. I am relatively new to DG (still learning the ropes), but old to gardening indoors and out. However, I learn something new every time I come here. So many members are not just plant enthusiasts, but have many talents and wear many hats. Be sure to check out the non-plant forums as well.

Laurel
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #4724528

Welcome everyone! You will love this Garden! I have been gardening for 40 years but am still learning! That's what's so wonderful with this garden, we all learn from each other.

Be sure to check out all of the forums you can and introduce yourselves around! If there's a particular plant (or two or three LOL) that you grow, there's probably a forum here for that plant, and many who will be able to answer any of your questions you might have. I've been a member for about 1 1/2 years and still don't have time to visit all the forums. I do like to check out new ones once in awhile, even if there's a plant I don't grow, I love reading about them all and love seeing people's photo's they upload.

Have fun and hope to see you around the garden!

Lin

alessia
Bolingbrook, IL

December 26, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #8278071

I'm new here and I think I am going to like it here!!

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #8278445

I'm old here & I hope you do!

Al
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #8278599

Well, I'm older now and still learning lots here. Welcome.
Laurel
journeyhome
Willis, VA

February 27, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8395157

Hi folks. I retired several years ago and moved from Oakland, CA where gardening outdoors was a year round possibility and houseplants were readily available (with a huge selection) to Floyd Co, VA in the Blue Ridge mountains and have 28 acres - mostly pasture for horses. My local nursery carries zero houseplants. I've done a little looking for sources on line but have not found much.

If anyone can suggest some possibilities I'd really appreciate it. I'm not looking for exotic stuff just a dozen or so things that will help add a bit of nature indoors. Thanks so much. JH

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8395475

Remember you posted this in a couple of months when the weather is more conducive to shipping plant material (from MI). I'll share a few favorites with you. Just send me a d-mail

Al
plant_killer80
london
United Kingdom

March 10, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8418380

Hi I'm Sarah
I'm new to this site and new to growing house plants i only want one but i'm not shor what one to get i have diret sunshine after 2pm uk time i have killed all the plants that i've even owned (including bunchs of flowers) i don't know were to start i only know i can't have spiky cactus as i have two yr old may tks ohh and i would like to grow from seed if this is a bad idear for my first plane pls let me know

This message was edited Mar 10, 2011 6:46 PM
Sweetmint
Old Lyme, CT

March 27, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8453854

Hello! I am new to these forums, and essentially new to gardening. I have moved from Alabama to Connecticut and have no idea where to start! I am very interested in herbs and fragrant plants (patchouli, lavender, etc) and began a little container garden. I managed to kill my lavender, patchouli, tiny bay tree, chamomile...well most of it! The only survivors are a scrubby little rosemary, sweet mint, parsley and one I -think- might be sage. So with these few I made the trip to CT. I will be eagerly seeking any information on my new zone and what will and will not work here. Any advice, suggestions or criticisms will certainly be appreciated!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8453965

Welcome to the site, Sweetmint. You'll definitely get your questions answered here. See you around the site.

Alabama to Old Lyme...wow, you're in for a "culture shock", eh? (Have relatives up that way...)

Best,
Shoe

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM
Help with houseplants! babybird 44 May 18, 2007 7:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America