Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Snapdragon problem

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 14, Views: 305
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2007
12:22 AM

Post #3098233

I planted, loved and nurtured 480 Rocket and Liberty Snapdragons in the garden. I tried to build frames of PVC for frost cloth when we knew we were getting below freezing temps. ...bad decision..the frostcloth battered my poor plants. The had been cut back twice since October for a March first week garden of blooms. Now, don't I just go back and cut them back again (they were starting to bloom everywhere). How long (about 7 or 8 weeks until bloom again if I do that??) thanx

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #3098464

I'm in zone 7b/8a in Central Texas and have never tried to protect snapdragons from frost or even hard freezes. Even if your plants are battered, but not broken off at the ground, they should come back by spring and give you lots of blooms. The extra 'pruning' may make them branch even more and result in more flowers. When they will bloom depends on what weather conditions we have between now and spring. Let's hope the ice and snow stay away!

This message was edited Jan 18, 2007 8:32 PM
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3098502

Hi Betty! I agree that you shouldn't need to cover snapdragons, they should be very hardy where you live and should do fine without protection. Also a quick tip--I noticed you started another thread with a picture of your snapdragons and I'm assuming you meant that picture to go along with this question? If that's the case, the best thing to do is to make a new reply to this message, and right below the box you're typing in you'll see where you can add a picture. That way the picture and the question will stay together in one place and everyone who reads your question will also see your picture, otherwise they tend to get separated on the page as more and more people start new threads for their questions.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2007
2:07 AM

Post #3098572

Yes Snap Dragons hardy. and can withstand a heavy frost what a wonderful flowers to grow :))
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2007
2:34 AM

Post #3098679

thanks for the suggestions...never lived in this warm of a climate...my new motto is: whatever happens is the way it is supposed to be...all that work and it was a bad decision...don't have a pic of all the frames completed and allllll the frost cloth. Here is the pic and thanks for telling me to add it...have to find the courage to go out tomorrow and take the frost cloth down...expecting heavy rains tomorrow on and the plants need that good rain.
I will post you a pic of what it looks like of the battered plants (LOL)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2007
2:37 AM

Post #3098693

the 'Libertys' were just starting to bloom 3 weeks ago...too bad, so sad...not a really big deal..wanted them for a project the first week of March...

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #3098743

Even if you just have stubs of the plants left, you will have blooms! They are tough.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2007
3:39 AM

Post #3098959

Beautiful crop of snapdragon plants! Great picture!

I'd be real proud of your s'dragon beds! They look so healthy!

Shoe.
2zeus

(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2007
5:00 AM

Post #3099125

Wow, those are beautiful snaps! I love them, and those pictures are making me drool.

I've always found them to be very hardy, and also good self-seeders. I will, halfway through the summer, go around deadheading, and get another batch of blooms a few weeks later.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2007
1:30 PM

Post #3099598

WOW Betty 480 do you sell them ? I can only imagine how gorgous they will be all in bloom ! You have a lot of land . What else do you grow !
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #3103280

The problem is that I have more land than i do help to work in it. These snaps were started for a prison ministry retreat for women who have loved ones in prison. I just moved back to the farm and am trying to think of a way to just get back a little bit of money every year to cover the cost of growing. After i get my yard landscaped out here, I am thinking I might grow cutting flowers (my favorites) to the public. I am addicted to growing anything. My age of 64 doesn't stop me from doing much, including tilling. That is how I am going to landscape under all the mesquite trees. If I tried to tell you what I grow, you would KNOW for a fact that I am insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This summer I will start posting pics under annuals and perennials. I still have dreams of a greenhouse to over winter all my tropicals, begonia, etc.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2007
4:22 PM

Post #3103401

Betty, have you found the Market Growers forum yet? It's especially for people who try to make a little money from the flowers, fruits, veggies, etc that they grow. I'm sure if you have questions or need ideas you'll find it's a great source of information.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/market/all/
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2007
7:55 PM

Post #3114763

Guess what my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took off the frost cloth yesterday and I still have 3/4 of the snap crop looking great and only about 1/4 of them got whacked down...they will just bloom later. I feel blessed!! A big plus is that the rows I covered with frost cloth of all different flowers have doubled or tripled in size under that frost cloth...I got lucky learning a lesson about not covering anymore unless I am positive the temps are going down to 20 degrees ...which I doubt would ever happen down.
rwmedic
Decatur, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #3120676

betty,

as you can see I am in a freezing zone and my Snaps went through three freezes here and stayed green and beautiful blooms and servived. They happened to flurrish when the weather turned cooler not cold through. I am so in love with them that I will have tons next year. They are so beautiful. But as of now they are all brown and nasty I do believe that they finally died. But sometimes here if the winters are not to bad I will get the plant or self seeds back even if annuals. Like once I had dusty miller and coleous came back 5 yrs in a row. Wow now that was something. I just planted these beauties again this last year. We will see if the winter was to hash here this year or not. I do believe that it might have been though

BTW lovely Idea of 400... snaps.
Beck
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2007
8:07 PM

Post #3121819

Betty, I love your snapdragon beds! I so wish I had room to grow that many!
They are very hardy plants, I often have them survive our winters and the flowers survive through heavy frosts! They are still green out there now, under a light blanket of snow. No need to worry :)

Steven

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America