-
AuthorContent
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #3098294

this was taken about 3 weeks ago when I started building the frames...I switched over to 11/2 pvc pipes but even that wouldn't protect the width I had planted them in...thanks

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sparisi1122
Gloucester, MA

January 23, 2007
6:52 PM

Post #3114576

Your lucky to live in Texas. It is so cold here in The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3114775

I just posted the good news under the Beginner's gardening site. Yes, I could never survive in cold weather. I tried it once in zone 6 in the mountains of New Mexico, got so depressed with the weather that I literally installed gro lights all over the house...the kids laughed as i had at least 50 gro lights going with plants and seeds..
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #3141908

Bettygail, that is lot of snapdragons, can I be so nosy and ask what do you do with all them there snaps? Are they the rocket series that grows tall for cuts?
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
3:53 PM

Post #3141977

I am growing them for a weekend retreat for a prison ministry called Kairos Outside...for women who have loved ones in prison...an offshoot of the prison minstry called Kairos which is very active among churches in south Texas and involves many churches working together... I purposely planted the Rocket for a longer cut and the Liberty's grow about 18 to 20 inches tall. About 1/4 of the crop got some damage when I built tents for the frost cloth to cover them...that darn wind whipped around them so hard...won't ever cover them again in our zone...they could have taken the freezing weather for a few hours.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2007
6:59 PM

Post #3157058

Today is our first day of sun in weeks and weeks of cold and rain...I even have some snapdragons starting to bloom finally...

Thumbnail by gessiegail

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2007
7:02 PM

Post #3157063

The Libertys survived and are starting to bloom...although the frost cloth beat some down...

Thumbnail by gessiegail

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2007
7:05 PM

Post #3157078

one last pic of all the Rocket series trying to bloom with our first day of sun in a long long time

Thumbnail by gessiegail

Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2007
7:29 PM

Post #3157141

Bettygail, did you sow your seed directly outdoors? I want to grow a bunch for a niece's wedding this late August but I could direct seed till probably beginning of June. Our growing season is so much shorter because we are wet so late in the year.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2007
9:10 PM

Post #3157429

I started mine by seed...they really hate the heat and I don't know how hot it gets in your area...I suppose you are like Austin, Texas...these plants will take hard freezes and bounce back...I plant mine in October or November so that I have time to cut them back to 4" once a month with Dec. 15 being the last cut back. How cool are you summers or how hot? If you tell me what you summers are like I may be able to help by choosing what would grow well at that time. Do you get warm enough to grow zinnias galore and Celosia 'Bombay' and the new Celosia 'Cramers'...cutting flowers are my favorite flowers...know we could find something for you that is pretty to bloom in august. My last daughter to get married was 6 years ago today...she used the brightest flowers in her bridesmaids' bouquets and hers, too...no traditional white
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2007
10:43 PM

Post #3157719

Thanks, Bettygail, here in my part of Oregon we stay mostly in the 80's or low 90's. Not to say we haven't had 100 plus but it is rare. Our humidity is low too. Yes, I am planning lots of zinnias and I have done snaps before from seed earlier in the greenhouse and then transplanted but it would be nice to avoid that step if possible. I am planting Bells of Ireland too. I raise lots of dahlias too and roses but I find roses aren't the greatest cuts. I will do the China aster too. I am considering larkspur too especially if I can sow them directly outside. My hubby will do some glads. Here in the Willamette Valley where I am is nursery paradise. On our farm we raise marionberries, Christmas trees(firs), and hazelnuts.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #3157769

I would think that if you can grow Bells of Ireland (which we can't in the summer).you would do great with snaps...Larkspur comes up easily for me when sown outside in the winter and then blooms in april for us. Don't you have a friend in the nursery business who would be nice and order the 72 cell flats of snaps for wholesale??? You would have lots of time to cut them back a time or two before you let them bloom. A friend offered to do that for me knowing that it was for a prison ministry. You niece's wedding is a very special occasion. Johnny's Selected Seed has the best offering of the Sublime series of larkspur in every color in the world. Park Seed offers the prettiest Echinacea in both seeds and plants...some brand new plants pretty for cutting. Do the rudbeckias grow well during your summer...The old standard Goldsturm cuts real well...I should have dmailed you but forgot i could...right click on my name and we can correspond without being on the internet.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2007
11:34 PM

Post #3265806

OK friends...someone sympathize with me. The retreat I was growing these for is this weekend and I didn't make it with the flowers in time. I believe it was those last two 27 degree nights at the very end of February that didn't help. Oh well, cheer up gail, someone will enjoy the flowers when they peak...going to post a few pictures if you can stand it!! Think of me when i pick up all the flowers needed at the florists in the morning...LOL
This is called learning to grow in a new zone and being grateful that they are going to at least bloom some...

Thumbnail by gessiegail

momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #3266146

Betty, you can always do cut bouquets and bring them to nursing homes to brighten up the places for the seniors. I guarantee they will enjoy the beauty and they will love you for it.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #3266235

I had already made up my mind that if they weren't ready, the local nursing home was exactly where i would go...you read my mind!!!
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3266258

Great minds...
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2007
1:35 AM

Post #3266259

Or... There is this little patch of soil in Windsor Ontario...
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2007
1:35 AM

Post #3266260

oops, it printed twice... ignore this box completely. It is only a figment of your imagination.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2007 10:36 PM
karaj
Iran

November 4, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5750809

my friend I have heard about pipes they undertaken to grand and as you need to water your vegetables you open water in them and they sweat
have good gardening ~hadi
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5750829

Good to hear from you in Iran...thanks
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5753654

Gail,
Even though I know better,I would swear you are a very energetic 16 year old!! I cannot believe how much you you do!! Wonderful.

Lynn
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5753897

I wonder where people found this old thread...from the winter of 2007...I still love cutting flowers the best!!!
D_AustinTX
Bastrop, TX

January 21, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6033096

I am new to the Austin area and this web site. I was wondering if you could help me get a couple of containers started and give me the names of some flowers that will do good planted in a bed that the deer will not like. Looking forward to hearing from you. D

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6033588

I know Austin well, but don't know which plants deer won't eat. Let me check with my kids in Austin and be back to you!
D_AustinTX
Bastrop, TX

January 22, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6033816

Thanks
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6033906

I have a friend who lives in New Braunfels and they really have to watch what they plant as deer just roam freely about their yard! Give me a couple of days to find out...
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6036584

D_AustinTX,
I have a gardening friend that lives in Bastrop.I will drop her a line and get some advice for you.Their names are Daniel and Patricia,but darned if I can remember their last name right now.
Lynn
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6036875

This is funny reading Lynn's post as I just remembered I have good friends in Bastrop. They have a wonderful cottage garden. He is listed in the Austin phone book as Artisan's Concrete (probably listed in Bastrop , too)

Tell Steve that Jackson' s mother told you to call Stacy, his wife and go see her beautiful yard...and that she would know about gardening.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6036927

Gail,
I think Daniel and Patty have a company called jpleather.The live on a big acreage and she has tons of flowers.
Lynn
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6037314

Lynn...I only know that one couple in Bastrop (LOL)
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6037444

Me,too...LOL

Lynn
D_AustinTX
Bastrop, TX

January 23, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6038978

Lynn and Gail, I also live in Bastrop. Have been here only a couple of months. Will not be staying here much during the summer months and thought I could have some type of flowers while away...maybe in a couple of containers in frt. We have a sprinkler system and I hope this will provide the water needed. I will probably be here mostly during the winter months. I love the cottage gardens. I have a home in WV where I have been trying my hand at flower gardening.

Thumbnail by D_AustinTX

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #6039147

Be happy you won't be in Austin or Bastrop during the summer (LOL)...Go ahead and call Steve at Artisan Concrete...tell him Jackson's mom said you needed to see his adorable cottage garden that he and Stacy have done. It is one of those wonderful homes with a covered front porch...

By the way, my deceased stepfather came from Huntington and his aunt was a federal judge (first federal female judge in the state) in Charleston. I went to visit his parents, etc many times.
D_AustinTX
Bastrop, TX

January 23, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6040174

I feel so stupid, never noticed that Bastrop was under my name until now. I bet your friends garden is lovely. I'll think about calling. I am on the shy side. Thanks for all your help.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8946711

Aren't Snapdragons perennials?
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8946776

Not in the North.I am in zone 5 and they are annual here.

Lynn

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8948060

Bloom.. they should over-winter in calif. In fact they are perenn for me in z5. My favs are red rockets at 36".
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8949166

I'm planning to seed some tall varieties to put in vases. Any suggested varieties?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8949251

Bloom..Do you mean as cut flowers? If so my favs are the rockets because they have long stem and I love doing large country bouquets with my flowers. Think thats why I love tall flowers so much, lol. I love the red rockets the best, T&MSeeds(.com), has a white rocket called bride something or other that is fragrant, will have to try one of these springs. "Spose it's whatever color you happen to like or even a mix. Also like the butterfly series (24"), which is shorter and the flowers are open (hence no snapping). Kathy.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #8950245

Thanks, and yes I mean cut flowers. I think a mix of red and white rockets would look wonderful.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM
Knockout Roses MrNvestor 6 Mar 26, 2007 6:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America