Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: canna rhizomes help

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 20, Views: 402
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2007
2:15 PM

Post #3099705

I did post this in Canna forum few days ago but got no help :(( We did get them planted a couple in ground and rest in pots for now. Hope we did it correct.
Here were out questions if anyone grows these.
Thanks, Allison
Hi
I got some really nice canna rhizomes in the mail today from Steve !
My question is if we plant a couple tomorrow will the others be Ok until Feb when we can have out lawn guy pre-pare a garden bed for us ?
Should I pot them in a pot for now on our screen porch ? It's plenty warm here in the 80's and we never have frost . Also do we plant the eye up ?
Thanks, Allison
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3099727

im sure they will be ok stored in a cool spot for a little while! I use to grow them but here i have to dig them up and store all winter-to much work for me!
Yes eyes up!
dave

January 19, 2007
2:35 PM

Post #3099768

I'd add that in the past I've stored them in peat moss or potting soil, not moist but not bone dry either. They seemed to keep for about 6 months for me like that.

dave
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2007
3:07 PM

Post #3099862

Thanks everyone ! Steve sent me some Red Russians ! I can't wait for them to grow. Our first ones !
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2007
2:54 AM

Post #3112537

They will be beautiful. I planted some cannas for the first time last year. I didn't dig them up for winter. Don't know if they will come back this spring, hope so. But a lot of people in our area have huge ones that have been there for years and years and they never dig them up. So I guess we'll see. Good luck with yours.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 23, 2007
11:47 AM

Post #3113198

Thanks Peggy hope yours come back up ! Here we don't have to dig up each year. I was Blessed a Dg gave me a couple large that made several :)) http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/37544/index.html
Canna Red Russian.
My wish is to get a deep pink, bright sunny yellow and maybe a white.
I gave my neighbor next door one of the Red Russian and he planted it so we both can see it and enjoy ! And ours are planted where he will be able to see some of ours ! The joy of gardening and sharing :))
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2007
7:29 PM

Post #3118196

Allison-Those Red Russian cannas are tough and spread like crazy. I dug some up, threw them in a big pot, then sat them under a tree all summer. They were fine and even began resprouting. Just make sure you give them lots of room when you plant them. BTW, cannas always bloom better if divided every year or so. Make sure you burn the old foliage to kill leaf roller catapillers eggs. If your plants start looking ratty mid-summer chopped em down and you will have nice new foliage and pretty blooms again in no time. Enjoy!

Loretta
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 24, 2007
9:19 PM

Post #3118613

Thanks were not allowed to burn here, we live in a 55 plus mobile home park/neighborhood. So hopefuly we won't be seeing those porblems is so will do best to treat them :))
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #3119256

I might add to Lorettas' post. After a canna blooms, cut the bloom stalk to the ground. It will return with more blooms. Some folks like to leave the stalks for the seed interest but I love the blooms... pod
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 25, 2007
12:47 PM

Post #3120406

Thank you !
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2007
1:55 PM

Post #3120596

Allison_FL i did answer you in the canna form may be you just missed it i allways try to help as i grow mostly cannas Paul
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 25, 2007
3:02 PM

Post #3120787

Thanks Paul. I did finaly see it but had it there for so often. I don't go back to that forum as much as when you post people don't answer so I move on to more friendlier :environments ))
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 25, 2007
3:38 PM

Post #3120943

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/684769/
Link above Paul where I posted neded help. See Steve had sent them to me, and us not able to do our own gardening beacause of health have to wait sometimes to have things planted and I wanted to make sure they'd be Ok :)) So Steve said to post for help ! We got a neighbor to plant a few that day, and also pot the rest in large pots they are on our porch until we get our other gardens pre-pared next month for us :))
I also did a serach to find great info how to do this when I got no reply as we did not want to wait and take a chance losing them.
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #3124854

Allison,

You can get a small bag of peat moss at Home Depot or Lowe's. Store the rhizomes in a brown bag with peat moss, out of sunlight, and keep them cool - I seem to remember somebody saying that 55 degrees is the optimum temperature, but maybe somebody else can verify that.

It doesn't do any good to plant the Russian Red rhizomes now - none of mine are growing, and if they're in the ground and dormant, you'll run the risk of them rotting. It won't be long before it's warm enough for them - I plant cannas in March, and you're in a much warmer zone than I am.

The Russian Reds are extremely prolific - you'll have twice the number of rhizomes at the end of the summer, maybe even more than that. You'll also get a ton of seeds from each stalk.

Let me know if I can help you any further.

Steve
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2007
5:53 AM

Post #3269928

yes the bumps which is the eye is to be planted up and make sure you have about two to three inches of soil above to cover and you can transplant them into the ground later I usually plant mine in pot six weeks before since its to cold here till may so they will flower in july and august, it takes about 12 weeks from planting for the flowers to show.
Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9386290

Howdy! I would like to start w yellow cannas this year. Which are the best ones? Does the old foliage always need to be burned? How do you treat leaf roller? I have seen private homes growing lots of red cannas in pots. I suppose this is for commercial selling. I just think yellow is so much prettier, but is it just as good as red for commercial growing? Thanks for your answers!!!! Have a great day!! :)
Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9386297

Me again! :D
How do I collect the seeds from cannas? How do you tell when they are ready? And how do you propagate the seeds? Are tubers ready to split when they are 2 years old? Thanks! Carol :)
Jim41
Delhi, LA

January 15, 2013
10:05 PM

Post #9386709

Cannas don't care how you plant them or where you plant. They'll come up and grow. I once planted some I had in a bucket that I forgot and left outside. They stood in water all winter. I dumped the bucket over the fence and they came up like crazy. The biggest trouble I've had is trying to kill them. They store enough water that they won't burn. The advice on cutting the bloom stalk is a good one. They will bloom all year if you do that. I don't know about your area, but here we have trouble with a worm that makes the leaf curl up. You have to control them or they will ruin your canna. Keep a close watch and don't let them get the jump on you.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
11:06 PM

Post #9386723

Canna seeds are ready when they look like they are going to drop off the plant. I have had good germination rates by just planting them as soon as I harvest them in a sunny spot. Since you are in a colder area that may or may not work for you. If you have a heat mat you can start them indoors in Fall and then move them outside in Spring. If you want to store the seeds put them in a baggie in the fridge. Anybody here wanting some Canna patens seeds I have extra and will gladly send you some.

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9387652

Domeomedee, I would love to get some seeds from you. Would a SASE be alright if so please Dmail me Thanks
Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9387689

Thank you!! Could I get some seeds too? I do want to try growing them. Ill keep them in cups then pots until next spring. Ill send SASE for you. :) Carol

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM
Ideas on Iris caribblue 2 Aug 25, 2009 1:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America