New Free genealogy program geni.com

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

I just read a review of new free genelogy program that sounds ideal for beginners. There is a review of it at the following
http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9678187-2.html?tag=nl.e776 or go to http://geni.com.
Has anybody used it? It doesn't seem to have the advanced features like some programs, but it seems to provide a way for beginners to round up the basic information to start with.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for this info. My brother and I have been working on family histories for several years and are well along but aware we'll never find it all. We have friends who want to begin their own searches but are intimidated by the challenge. I'll suggest this as a starting point.

Franklin Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

FYI - I was trying to figure out how they make money. It's free. Your information is password protected.Then I looked at the Geni terms of use. It states in part "By publishing, displaying, or uploading (collectively, "Posting") any Content on or to the Geni Website (including on or to your profile), you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to Geni an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, fully paid, worldwide license to use, copy, perform, display, and distribute such Content and to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing."
I don't know what all that entitles them to do with your information - but decided not to persue it any further.

Moxee, WA(Zone 4a)

GreenatHeart, I joined DG a while back but have never ventured into the Genealogy forum here because of the lack of my personal genealogy interest. My grmom passedaway last month at 104 so I've been thinking a lot about it.

Moxee, WA(Zone 4a)

GreenAtHeart, The internet by it very nature is an open network with little to no laws in effect. An interesting point to consider is the distinct possibility of a free genealogical software program being made available to the public by someone. This free software could be made to dispense (send) all your input data to the software maker ..... without the maker having ever made you aware via the licensing information. It could become a huge point of litigation but chances are the courts would just tell the complaining public that they should have asked questions or learned the truth before using the software. It is common practice for the courts to enforce the "let the buyor beware" attitude. This situation could make major enemies of thousands of individuals but by then it would be far too late and compensation would be null. People who want their data private should take steps to keep it private. Posting data on internet websites ....... is the least secure means of storing your genealogy information ....... if your intent is to keep it private and sheltered from companies that want to exploit your efforts and in turn profit from them.

Orem, UT

If You have surnames comming from other countries.
take a look in a multi languages forum like [HYPERLINK@www.thefamilyfinder.com]

Hi, my name is Johnny. I am posting because I saw your mention of geni.com. I cannot warn you in strong enough language to avoid that site after what happened to me. Geni encourages you to join their site for free, and then build profiles and enter personal and family information. If you are a careful geneologist then as you go you add photos and documentation. Unfortunately, through a process they call merging, supposedly used to build all trees into one single tree, they take control of the profiles you have entered and the information you have added, and then exclude you from the ability to work with them any longer. They then use this information to entice new members. The free profile introduces you to the concept of geneology but doesnt really give you access to any info, although they dangle it in front of you, and if you try to access it they request you upgrade to a paid profile. Geni has member curators who because of their loyalty to geni are given the ability to actually control all profiles and thus take even your personal profile from you and eventually if you dont co-operate with their vision of your tree, they do so. I wrote the geni public discussion to protest and geni actually suspended my acount, gave control of it to the curators, and then deleted all critical comments I had meade to give the appearance that they were resolved. Despite my appeals so far to geni management they have refused to return my profile, refused to return access to my information, and have refused to delete the family information and photos that I uploaded. Needless to say my family is very upset as many were also members. My wife actually posted to the same board as I to ask why they retaliated against someone for complaining about this practice of stealing peoples family trees, she was immediately terminated as well and her account suspended. Very deceptive outfit and I hope no one else goes throught the anguish this has cost me to lose 2 years of hard geneological work, not to mention their refusal to delete pictures that belong to my family and pictures ofeven children of my family who will now no longer have any assurance any of this material will remain private as promised. please dont make my mistake folks...and please if you arent sure (I could after all be a competitor or something, go to geni.com forum or google geni and see the comments others have made before you trust this outfit. if even one person avoids my trauma ill be happy. thank you and God Bless.
oh, just thought to add, another reason for my complaint was that people have added comic book characters, the Norse and Greek gods, and many things of that nature to their trees, and you end up with that material in your tree too, and cant get rid of it. Thor aint my great great 30th great ancestor, thank ya kindly!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.