Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 129
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2007
9:10 PM

Post #3107921

FYI An Ohio River Valley Tradition (or soon to be, I think)

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/ohio/events/events4065.html

The 4th annual Adams County Amish Birding Symposium is being held on March 4 at Yoder's Log Homes in the Wheat Ridge area of Adams County.The details are as follows:

Speakers and Topics Include:

Chris Bedel, Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal, Edge of Appalachia Preserve,
Roman Mast, Adams County Amish Community
Dennis Kline, Holmes County Amish Community
"Adventures of a Stay at Home Birder: Finding and Appreciating Birds in your Locality.
Julie Zickefoose, Wildlife Artist, Writer and Naturalist, Whipple, Ohio
Field Trip: "Winter Water Birds of Adams Lake State Park "
Jay Stenger, Cincinnati "Identification Challenges of Some Similar Ohio Species"
Marja Bakermans, Ph.D candidate Ohio State University
Tom Hissong, Aullwood Audubon Center

Adams County Amish Bird Symposium
Saturday, March 3, 2007
1372 Freeland Hollow Road

Mail registration form and non-refundable $12
registration fee (payable to Cincinnati Museum Center) to:

Chris Bedel
Edge of Appalachia Preserve
3223 Waggoner Riffle Road
West Union, Ohio 45693
937-544-2880

$12 Registration fee (non-refundable)
Children 12 and under Free

Presently there are fewer than 100 reservation spaces available, so if you are interested, please send in your reservations.

Photo from the Nature Conservancy web site.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2007
12:27 PM

Post #3249566

Well, I just had to report on the Amish Birding Symposium in Adams County! It was great fun and even my DH liked it and he's not too interested in Birding, to say the least!

I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning more about our regional birds (experts or neophytes) and it's affordable too at only $12 for the whole day's worth of talks and information.

The trick is to sign up early--the Symposium sold out rights away--they had 350 tickets to sell. The Amish and the Nature Conservancy put on a wonderful day for birders and I think everyone appreciated it!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2007
12:40 PM

Post #3256884

Before I enlarged the pic, I thought it was a group of bald eagles. Just had a good chuckle when I enlarged it, thinking to myself "real Amish birds!" LOL

Sounds like a great time!

This message was edited Mar 7, 2007 8:41 AM
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2007
12:00 AM

Post #3269029

Hi, Neal--

It was fun to participate and take in the local color. There were not too many photos taken I think because of the respect for the sensibilities of the Amish there, so the one above was borrowed from the Nature Conservancy program. Although it was fairly typical of the day.

if you want to go next year, I recommend the Murphin Ridge Inn as a place to stay. Very comfortable, delicious regional cooking and in the middle of an Amish neighborhood and the symposium was just down the road a quarter of a mile in a big (unlit) barn in a field.
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

September 5, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5509902

You guys still around? When is this? I regularly frequent this area. I have a camper set up at a private lake in Peebles. How do I get in on the next one? I have a burning need to be able to tell a whip-poor-will from a chuck-will's widow on sight.

Melis (Joke. It was a joke.)(But I'm serious about the thingy.)
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5511966

Hi, Melissande,

I watch the Cincinnati Birding message board for announcements about it, or you can call Chris Bedel at the Edge of Appalachia and get on his mailing list. Scroll down on this link to find his contact info.

http://cincinnatibirds.com/message/showthread.php?Thread=711

It's a fun and interesting day, and as you can imagine, the tickets sell out early!

Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

September 7, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #5521639

thank you. I really hope it's something I can get in on. Love the area and am intensely interested in the subject.
M

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM
2007 ORVG TRADE THREAD defoecat 150 May 25, 2007 1:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America