Photo by Melody

Wildlife Gardening: my new friends... are green!

Communities > Forums > Wildlife Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Wildlife GardeningReplies: 160, Views: 889
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2007
3:05 AM

Post #3109114

After I introduce all of you to my new friends, could someone please tell me what they are?
Only after I said goodbye, I realised we hadn't had a time to exchange names...

Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2007
3:07 AM

Post #3109116

comes the other one; careful, he was a bit moody!

CC

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2007
7:06 AM

Post #3109487

i was able to identify 2 salamanders from my garden with this web site
http://www.californiaherps.com/salamanders/salamandersmaps.html

Dick

Thumbnail by Strever

ashobert
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 22, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3111577

the second one is an alligator lizard of some kind. Elgaria multicarinata, maybe

Alan

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2007
10:32 PM

Post #3111666

Alan, do they bite? It has such sharp teeth, it scared me!!!
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 22, 2007
10:49 PM

Post #3111708

Wow I love that second one!
Equilibrium

January 23, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #3112025

Your first one might be Aneides ferreus. Check that out on line and see if it's a match. Your second photo isn't a salamander but a lizard. Maybe some sort of an alligator lizard? Try looking that one up using the word Elgaria and see if you come up with any images that are a match. If that's an alligator lizard, it will bite if provoked. You'd probably feel it but we're not talking anything major. I simply don't like getting bit because it always comes as a shock and then what ever I am holding is at risk of being dropped on its head.

Nice herps everyone!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #3112051

http://www.californiaherps.com/lizards/pages/e.m.multicarinata.html

Second one is Alligator lizzard.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #3112057

http://www.californiaherps.com/salamanders/pages/a.ferreus.html

First one is Aneides ferreus. Thank you for your help!

I picked the alligator up with a towel, wasn't going to risc a bite!

Christie

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #3112080

If it interests you, this is an interesting text about our alligator friend!

EDITED; forgot to post the link...
http://www.calacademy.org/calwild/2001winter/stories/wildlives.html

This message was edited Jan 22, 2007 5:33 PM

This message was edited Jan 22, 2007 6:00 PM
Equilibrium

January 23, 2007
12:47 AM

Post #3112158

Elgaria multicarinata?
http://www.wildherps.com/species/E.multicarinata.html

I took another close look at your photo and wanted to point something out to you. You can clearly see where the tail was either intentionally detached by your lizard or broken off. It’s growing back. Lizards tails break off easily but they grow back. Sometimes the lizard detaches its own tail to avoid predators. It detaches the tail and leaves it wiggling and writhing around while it makes its escape. Interestingly enough, Harvestman spiders will also intentionally detach a leg. The left behind twitching leg distracts predators while the spider escapes. How cool is it that you have a photo of a lizard that is in the process of re-growing its tail!
Equilibrium

January 23, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #3112181

Ha ha ha! [quote] I reached toward it with my free hand and wham! it clamped its powerful jaws between the first and second knuckle of my index finger and started shaking its head like a killer whale thrashing a sea lion. I shook my hand, and the little terror, with a mouthful of my skin, fell to the ground and half-slithered, half-scurried with its awkwardly skinny limbs to the safety of the leaf litter. [/quote] That about sums up their bite. You're certainly not going to bleed to death or lose a body part but it will startle you and the poor leetle leezard usually ends up sailing.

I just read this at your link, [quote] If clearly overwhelmed, it drops its injured tail and flees, leaving the writhing decoy for the seemingly victorious predator. This special tail, which regenerates within a few months, is prehensile; if the lizard is threatened by a hungry raptor, it may wrap its tail around a convenient branch and hold the tip in its mouth to prevent being carried off. A predator that seizes an alligator lizard will need to endure nauseating, repulsive excreta to get a meal. [/quote] I like the use of the word decoy because that's exactly what the detached tail becomes. Umm umm good, not exactly Campbells soup given the excreta but I suppose if a critter is hungry enough it will eat anything.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #3112201

Equilibrium, YOU have hawk eyes!! And you are so perceptive! I never noticed the tale. Now I see it, such an eensie-weensie tail for such a great alligator, and different in colour too!
We had many scrub jays making nests in that spot, maybe daddy scrub fed his babies a lizard tale stake!! LOL
Equilibrium

January 23, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #3112239

Wish I had hawk eyes but I don't. I downloaded your photo and saved it to my desktop then enlarged it so I could bet a better peek. I do much better when something is in my hand and I can whip out a magnifying glass. Fortunately for me, your images were crisp.

I wouldn't put it past a Scrub Jay to eat a lizard tail. I think I once read they eat eggs of other birds as well as babies of other birds. Sorry, don't know my birds all that well.

FYI, the presence of that salamander is a quality habitat indicator. Do you garden using native plants?

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #3112494

Not native, I don't think, but drought resistant, a lot of annuals and perennials that cover the ground, and I never use any non-organic products. I mulch with compost and leaves that I made myself.
I encorage all wildlife, have had 100's of dragonflies last year, who funny enough, did not fly past my property line! My neighbours wondered if I had bought them!
We also have a lot of birds, butterflies and bees.
My little organic paradise!

Picture; my backyard where I found these critters

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Equilibrium

January 23, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #3112525

A chemical free yard! I love it!

I like the edging material you chose. Those rocks look great.

If you have dragonflies, there's water around. Where is it?

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2007
3:00 AM

Post #3112557

My front yard. I'll post a picture.

Maybe you are interested in seeing more pictures;
http://mrschristiecolla.spaces.live.com
There is also a link to see the pictures on my site before I got married (October)

The edging is riverrock my husband was given by a friend who built a wall with it.

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2007
3:03 AM

Post #3112560

another one of my "waterfront"

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Equilibrium

January 23, 2007
3:38 AM

Post #3112684

Took me a while to get through all 91 but I enjoyed every last photo. I have to tell you that your lot looks like a veritable oasis compared to what I saw growing down the street in your neighbors' yards. I saw many native plants. Good for you.

There is deeper water somewhere within about a mile of where you live or you wouldn't have B52 bombers visiting you. Damselflies stick closer to water but Dragonflies go the distance so to speak and they're "laying over" at your place because of all the birdbaths.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2007
3:59 AM

Post #3112743

OH! right, we live by small creeks that don't have much water in summer, and not too far from the bay!

Thank you for your compliment!
My neighbours hate my yard. They spray chemicals to keep "my wildlife" out, and they are putting fences up, one by one. Some don't talk to me anymore.
When we bought this house 3 years ago, there was grass. ONLY! And I came and changed the feeling of the street, their words!
I'm glad you are my supporter!!! That makes my crooked fingers with black, broken nails and splinterhands worth it!

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Equilibrium

January 23, 2007
4:30 AM

Post #3112828

When we first built our home, we chose to leave it au naturelle right up to the curb. Needless to say that resulted in a few anonymous nasty grams in our mail box accusing us of destroying property values. I have no doubt there were a few who frantically searched through the association by-laws to see if what we had done was kosher and it was. We have by-laws that disallow fences, and by-laws that disallow campers and boats on the properties overnight, and by-laws that disallow owning a chicken, and by-laws that state clothes lines must be behind a home, and by-laws for just about everything but no by-laws that stated we had to have the cookie cutter front lawn. I suspect that if the individuals responsible for the creation of the by-laws had even suspected a homeowner would be capable of pulling a shot such as the one we pulled, they would have created a by-law to address the issue. You can't see my home from the road because we only carved out just over an acre in the center to build the house. I like the wetlands and woods right up to the street and... here's something that neighbors seem to forget... we pay the property taxes on this property. We're not alone any longer. We have quite a few new homeowners who chose to forgo having a manicured lawn to the curb and they may very well have been inspired to do so because of the cavalier approach we took. And, we don't water our lawn any longer and others are following suit. I don't mind the brown straw look at all and neither do others apparently. When I drive around this area, I am thrilled to see so many people forgoing the mid 20th century lawn to the curb and I am thrilled to see so many people choosing to not water their lawns.

If your neighbors don't talk to you, no great loss. You've got a young kid so once he's in school, you'll start meeting more people who are less judgmental. People don't like those who break from tradition. Oh horrors, mustn't dare to break with tradition. One question for you, will your neighbor's kids get to see a B52 bomber in their sterile yards?

I'm glad to know you have a fence surrounding your back yard so your cat doesn't roam. Neighbors like that would sooner or later probably take out their frustrations on your poor cat.

You probably have more supporters than you may imagine. Some people are simply afraid to be ostracized. They'll get used to it. Your yard will "grow" on them. Mine did.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2007
4:51 AM

Post #3112856

Equie, you are a wise person, and I do take to heart what you say.
My cats only go outside when I am there, the toxic yard next door may kill him!
When we had our camper here when it needed fixing, one of the neighbours called the police, and guess what: just like your place, by-laws forbid that!
I told my husband we can't use the sprinklers any more because of my fruit trees; they die if they get too much water. And last year we had such a hot, long, dry summer, I rather preserve the water for the veggies! I love the dry grass in summer, it's part of the scenery of seasons! Here in CA there are no well defined seasons like we have in Belgium, so anything that can give me a "seasonal feeling" is welcome!
Thank you for the "peptalk" I needed one I guess...
If I can do something for you, put me on your list!

Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Equilibrium

January 23, 2007
11:38 AM

Post #3113182

Send me your cats ;)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2007
12:50 AM

Post #3115614

Equil, you don't need more cats!! I know you and your cats. hehehe
Equilibrium

January 24, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #3115640

Yes but,,, hers are so nice and hairy and I bet that SLH Torbi on the right is a female and I don't have a little girl here any more. All my males would simply lover her to death. They need a new sleeping buddy to lick their heads and keep them in line. I swear my old female siamese kept them all in line and she did so up until the day she passed last year. We had her for over 20 years. There's just something about having a female around to keep the males on their toes.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #3115704

LOL. That's so funny coming from a female!! We have just a male cat but my dad swears up and down he's a female cat cause of the way he acts. He's an outside cat but is so loveable. He doesn't get in fights either. Hardly ever kills birds or mice but when he does, he drops them at the front door and is so proud. lol. He even lets female cats give birth in his house, lets opossoms live in there, racoons, etc. he just looks at them and goes back to sleep. But if we scare any of them off he jumps up and down like I did it, I did it!! LOL. We just shake out heads at him.
Equilibrium

January 25, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #3119686

Where did mrs_colla go? She's fun!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #3119804

I'm here!! Licking my wounds... DH cut me off plants, and I didn't like it, so I bought a 5 foot jelena hamamelis, a mini flowering gardenia and a carolina jessamine. I worked hard in the garden, took the old woodchips off, scraped the soil, added manure, mushroom soil and wormcastings, put 0-something-something down, and watered my acid lovers with their favorite tea; rusty nails in water!
My neighbour is all flushed because I have a japanese honeysuckle growing in the tree in front of my house...
And I won a elephant ear plum because I am an example of backyard orchard.
So, it couldn't be better!!!
Well Equi, that little girl cat of mine is fairly new. We adopted her about a month ago. Why don't you adopt a girly feline?
I left you a comment the other day, after your kind words made me feel soooooo good!
Would you consider adopting me?

Christie, the Morningside drive terror

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Equilibrium

January 25, 2007
3:58 AM

Post #3119892

Oh horrors, say it ain't so! [quote]I'm here!! Licking my wounds... DH cut me off plants, and I didn't like it, so I bought a 5 foot jelena hamamelis, a mini flowering gardenia and a carolina jessamine.[/quote] Only three plants you picked up after you were cut off? I say we women all band together, hang him upside downs, and cyber slap him until his credit cards and check book fall out of his pockets. We can keep him occupied while you scoop up the goods from the floor then make a mad dash to the local nursery to feed your habit. There ya go! We're here for ya, just let us know if your husband needs a little rattling.

We gotta talk about that Japanese Honeysuckle... someday.

All right, I'm pretty good with trees but what the heck is an Elephant Ear Plum? You got me, can I have the Latin name of that plant please. I'm glad you won it though, what ever it is.

I guess I'm not in the mood to go looking for a cat. I know I'd find something if I went to the shelter but spring is around the corner and all the Christmas kittens will start aging and some parents who bought them for kids will not find them cute anymore so off they go for a ride in the country. Most of the cats around here are feral but every once in a while I get one that is a former house cat. You can always tell the ones that were recently dumped because the pads of their feet are not tough at all like an indoor/outdoor or an outdoor only cat. That's the one I'll probably keep... the one that finds us so here's hoping it's hairy and female.

What thread is your comment in? I don't get around to a lot of forums preferring to stick to a few favorites. Thank you for what ever you said about me.

Adopt you... sure... but... that would mean I'd be a grandmother right now to the little human ball curled up in the stroller. I don't know if I'm old enough to be a grandma because I'm not even 50 yet. Hmmm, I do have a lot of gray hair and my kids tell me that's a prerequisite to being a grandma. Grandmas must have gray hair or they are not "real" grandmas.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #3119904

The honeysuckle is in a pot. My grandparents had the nazi's invasion, I heard stories about it; IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN with my honeysuckle!!

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2007
4:12 AM

Post #3119922

http://www.groworganic.com/item_FT200_ElephantHeartJapanesePlum.html
I can't believe I called it an elephant EAR plum again... it's an elephant HEART plum, as you can see in the link.
I left you the comment on your feedback page.
I'm young enough to be adopted; when I am working in the mud I look about 5 years old, with mud on my nose!

And my DH, he barks, but doesn't bite. All I have to do is look happy working in my garden, put tealights in the trees at night, and he's forgotten alllll about the cutoff (for about 1 day, haha) He's my only supporter, I may not complain!

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Equilibrium

January 25, 2007
4:57 AM

Post #3120004

I just read through this thread again from start to finish.

Sorry Alan, [quote]the second one is an alligator lizard of some kind. Elgaria multicarinata, maybe

Alan[/quote] I looked at the photos on this and didn't see your post. I think you got it with that id but I suppose it could maybe be a subspecies. Sorry about not having seen your post.

Hey mrs_colla, I'll send you a mailing label and you just seal up the box, poke a few holes in it, and send it my way next day air. Just teasing with you. She is really pretty and I do like those hairy ones.

Nazi invasion, eh. Why that's a rather creative way to describe what that plant does when it escapes. You have such a way with words.

OK, Elephant Heart Plum. I have a small (very small) orchard on my property with about 25 fruiting trees and that's not one I have or ever have had. I like Plums, they can be challenging though.

The sad reality is that you probably are young enough to be adopted. Unfortunately, that means I really am old enough to be a grandma. (sigh) We always wanted a little girl. I'm sold. When can you move in? At least all the hard work is already done since you're an adult now.

Nightie night

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2007
3:22 PM

Post #3120868

Okay, no grannie for you, how about being friends... My husband is older than you, I don't give a snip about age!!!!
Were you going to tell me how honeysuckle has lofty plans for the future; take over planet earth?
If it would, even in a pot, tell me now, so I can replant it somewhere else before it's too late. I can't afford any mistakes in my front, with all those neighbours!

Thanks Equi!!

This message was edited Jan 25, 2007 8:58 AM

This message was edited Jan 25, 2007 2:23 PM
Equilibrium

January 25, 2007
8:35 PM

Post #3121935

OK, you asked so forgive me in advance for answering.

Japanese Honeysuckle are "safe" to grow if you deadhead them properly otherwise they most probably will end up "volunteering" in your neighbors' yards and every where else for that matter.

Here's your photo to illustrate where best to dead head them and just remember, you seem like a good sport so I am having some fun... by teasing you a little bit.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Equilibrium

January 25, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3121972

All joking aside, this plant can set seed quite nicely from that pot where you think you have it contained. There are plants that are invasive that are rhizomous that could be contained but Japanese Honeysuckle isn't one of them.

Here's a fun and informative link on your Japanese Honeysuckle-
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/loni1.htm

That being said, it is really thoughtful of you to consider your neighbors. Please do pack up and move into my neighborhood. I am constantly removing the offspring of my neighbors' plants and it gets old fast.

Yes, friends is good. You are newer here but in time you will find many people of all ages who you will become friends with. You will like DG very much.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #3122156

How I read your link; my honeysuckle "could" be such a pest.
Do you think I shoud move it? Be honoust; that's what separates REAL friends from the snakes who don't give a darn!

Good thing your "deadheading" picture said JOKE in the end, I would think about it otherwise, finding it odd, but trusting a gardener with more experience!!!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #3122162

don't you need cross pollination before a plant can set seed? I am the only
"honeysuckl'er" around!
Equilibrium

January 25, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3122249

Japanese Honeysuckle flowers are self pollinating. They don't need another Japanese Honeysuckle around to set seed. That's the problem.

I would destroy it and purchase a plant that is more appropriate for a wildlife haven.
Please call these people on the phone and let them know you are a new wildlife gardener and ask them for help-
http://www.laspilitas.com/
There are two phone numbers listed, select the number to the nursery that is closest to your home. You should ask them to send you a catalog. You don't need to purchase anything from them to call and get help. They've been good sports answering questions for many people who didn't place an order.

mrs_c, I bought a lot of plants that I didn't know were going to be a problem. It happens so don't feel bad at all and don't let it get you down. Nurseries don't exactly advertise their downsides when they advertise them for sale. What you want to do is try to use scientific names of plants when possible so that you can look them up to see if they will be a benefit to your suburban "oasis" or not. Many nurseries won't use scientific names favoring just the common name which confuses people- I know it confuses me. This is not good for people like us who want specific plants for the critters that we want to come to visit out yards. What you are doing whether you realize it or not is providing much needed habitat. If you are having trouble looking plants up that you want to buy, post the scientific name here and people will help you and soon you will be able to do it on your own because you will know what you want out of a plant.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2007
9:48 PM

Post #3122283

Neat link, I briefly checked it out! Destroy it huh... I need to make peace with myself for having made such a dum choice... It breakes my heart to destroy plants... But what needs to be done needs to be done!
One last question; any place I could put it safely? In this pot on the area by the garage, where we have pavement, so it can't reseed?
Equilibrium

January 25, 2007
9:57 PM

Post #3122314

Yes, you could send it to Japan. They are not a problem plant over there in their native range. Here in the US, they are a big cause for concern. I have removed literally hundreds of them from my property with hundreds still left to remove. I can not leave them where they are to break down and return to the earth because they are allelopathic. An allelopathic plant produces chemicals that enter the soil and inhibit the growth of other plants. That's a big problem for native plants that support native critters and they can't compete with the chemicals created by allelopathic plants.
http://www.se-eppc.org/manual/bushhoney.html

There really is no "safe" place for a highly invasive species. That's sort of why they are classified as invasive. Not much you can do but bag it up and toss it. By me, I tossed poor plant choices on a burn pile but you can't do that by you.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2007
10:01 PM

Post #3122329

Why is it a problem?
Japanese honeysuckle has the ability to climb over and smother most plants in its path, from ground level to mid-canopy forest species. It can even cause the collapse of the forest canopy if it is allowed to get away.

It is often spread when pieces of stem are dumped with garden rubbish. In addition, its seeds are easily spread by birds and, possibly, by possums and the vine is hard to kill using existing herbicides.

I got this off a website... sad news, but true... DING-DONG death bells for Halliana...

This message was edited Jan 25, 2007 3:16 PM

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3122335

Thanks Equi, what a monster I bought!!! AND paid for, that's the part that gets me... Why don't they take it off the market!!!!
Equilibrium

January 25, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #3122339

They're trying. The sale of that plant is banned in my state.

I've been duped before. So many times I can't count. I get the scientific name of the plant and check it out before I buy it these days. If I am not familiar with the plant, I ask a few friends who work in natural areas.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #3122346

shall I re-name this thread; "My new enemies... are green"
Equilibrium

January 25, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #3122578

Noooooooooooooooooo ;)

The vast majority aren't invasive. Sure does seem the most popular ones sold locally sure are though. I've almost gone completely mail order because of not being able to find anything but dime a dozen popular plants these days.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2007
10:37 PM

Post #3182626

OK, this friend isn't green, but what's in a colour.. ;-)

Why is this scrub jay "stealing" the blue pebbles from the bird bath?

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Equilibrium

February 12, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #3182744

Please send that photo to me in an e-mail in full pixels. I would like to use that as desktop wallpaper in a few months when I switch from Linthicum's geese. I'm going to hang out looking at linthicum's geese for a while but I'll want to change sometime around April I like to switch a couple times a year. Please leave your watermark on the image so I never forget who took the photo when I log on. That's a really great photo. I'm afraid to even ask what kind of a camera you own to be able to get pics like that.

Your question about the bird taking the pebbles I can't answer other than to say maybe he's a thief? No seriously, maybe the bird is a klepto. I know some birds, like Kildeer, use pebbles to place in their ground nests but Scrubs don't have that type of a nest. Other birds have been known to take them for different styles of nests but I don't know which ones they are without going online to check and that's definitely a Scrub with a pebble in his beak. Odd how he chose the shiny glass pebble as opposed to some of the smaller natural pebbles you have in the bird bath. Perhaps he was attracted to the shininess of the glass pebble? .

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2007
11:23 PM

Post #3182770

Taking the risc to insult a person in Marin; the renovation trend for homes is followed by birds alike? LOL
Fancy is better in Marin...
I'll mail you the picture Equi, with no watermark. It doesn't matter amongst friends!
Equilibrium

February 12, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #3182794

What thread are you talking about in renovations? What is a Marin? I don't get it?

Did you snag your husband's credit card so you can go do some damage at Las Pilitas?

Wait... I want the watermark. I know I sound strange in wanting it but I enjoy seeing the watermarks on the photos because it makes me think of the person who took the photo.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #3182798

Marin is a super wealthy area, and home renovations are as common as washing your hair!
Equilibrium

February 12, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #3182802

Oops, I forgot your husband is gone for a while. If you want to do some damage... you can borrow my husband's credit card. He's used to a wife exploiting his good nature and I doubt at this point in time if it matters whose wife it is. It's always plants anyway so he'd be none the wiser. .
Equilibrium

February 12, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #3182807

Oops again, typing when you were typing.

Let the good people in Marin call you when they get ready to do some landscaping renovations. Maybe they might have some good left overs.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #3182809

between you and I; I wrote the number down, WITH his permission!
I am planting my fruit row first, when the rain stops tomorrow, I have to take out the ugly hedge first!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2007
11:36 PM

Post #3182817

The landscapers always take the plants with them... otherwise; good idea!
Equilibrium

February 12, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3182836

Have fun with the ugly hedge. I'll be thinking of you wrestling with those established beasts. They aren't going to come out easily.

Shame the landscapers always take the plants with them. Could you hang out in the street in front of homes where they are doing renovations with a sign around your neck that says, "Will work for plants"?
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #3182863

Come on Christie, give it up...what kind of camera do you use? Then we can use Equil's hubby's credit card and buy me one...lol...

Seriously, your pictures are so clear and crisp. *sigh* A girl is nothing without her dreams...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3182907

LOL. Better fess up. These 2 will never let up on you. They can be very persisant.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
12:05 AM

Post #3182916

Marin knows I'm obsessed with plants, AND they know I'm officially cut off buying more plants... They won't fall for my WILL WORK FOR PLANTS sign...( that said; I just bought 8 fruit trees, one hazelnut tree Tonda Di Giffona, and one European Spindle tree...) Hmmmm, how long ago did my DH leave? About 2 hours ago... Naughty me!

The camera is a Nikon D50 with a telelens.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
12:09 AM

Post #3182931

To take out an overgrown ugly hedge; I think of all the abused women and children in the world, than I HACK HACK HACK away... GRRRRRR... works well ( along with some swetting and gnarling!)
LOL

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #3182940

Oooh, love that picture. Wish I can get that close to my birds.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
12:14 AM

Post #3182949

Great, I must be using a brain that's on vacation; these 2 pictures I already posted in this thread!
Sorry Ladies and Gents...

I am about (get your calculator out, here comes "my" metric) 3 metres away, not too close really.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #3182958

LOL. I thought that pic looked familar but figured I was losing my mind. Oh wait!! According to Terry, I already am!! LOL
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #3182960

Hey Equil!! I wanna Nikon D50! Git that thar cridit cerd ridy!

Christy, isn't the European Spindle tree the one you were asking about on trees and shrubs?

Pepper! We need a Nikon D50 with telelens! Then we are set!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2007

Post #3182966

Yeah, we do!! I have been looking at cameras but am trying to hold off on buying one so I can put my money where it has to go. *sigh* That would be my truck right now.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2007

Post #3182969

Hey Pepper! Don't type when I'm typing! lol...if you're losing your mind, then what am I doing???

That's okay Christie! They're just as gorgeous the second time around!!
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #3182976

Will you quit typing when I'm typing girl??!!! LOL!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #3182998

LOL. That's funny. I love doing that to people.
Equilibrium

February 13, 2007
12:33 AM

Post #3183019

I thought I was the only one who typed when others were typing. Nikon is always a great camera. Blows the Kodak I use out of the water.

Christie, you have mail with a photograph taken with my Kodak.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #3183022

Terryr, that's right; I posted this shrub there.
I looked for it everywhere, couldn't find it, so I called Lucille at Whitman farms, (she sold me the SUPER hamamelis Jelena) and she has one, but not the 'red scarlet' one. She said it doesn't look any different from the 'regular' spindle tree! I looked into it, online, and she's right; the other names are just fancy, they don't mean a thing. Lucille has what I want, and she has all my info at hand, creditcard nr and address, so it was easy!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #3183032

another name for this shrub is " gotta-have-it-now!!!!"
Equi, I WAS TYPING! :-)

This message was edited Feb 12, 2007 5:37 PM

This message was edited Feb 12, 2007 5:37 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3183035

Nikon and Vivitar are the only cameras I like.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3183038

my brain really IS on vacation; I typ so many mistakes even I can't read what I was trying to say!!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #3183046

LOL!!
Equilibrium

February 13, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #3183054

Who cares about spelling. We know what you mean.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #3183059

yep we sure do.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
12:44 AM

Post #3183064

Today I wear BLACK! 2 of my closest neighbours had the BUG KILLERS over, spraying away!
I made the men turn the other way, because the wind was blowing the stuf in my garden! They looked at me like I was Godzilla for making them turn around!
I whispered BUG murderer!
Poor bugs I love' em!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
12:50 AM

Post #3183091

http://www.baumkunde.de/baumdetails.php?baumID=0173

sorry about the German, but it shows the plant really well; LOOK at my new LOVE!!!!

(oooh, aahh, I can HEAR y'all!!!!!!!!!)
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #3183378

geez...here I thought I was going to go look at some hot guy, who cares if it's in German! But alas, it's the spindle tree...

There should be a law, if there isn't one already, that says they cannot spray on a windy day?

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
2:19 AM

Post #3183455

stupid thing, had to take it off... EDIT

This message was edited Feb 12, 2007 8:06 PM
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2007
2:34 AM

Post #3183512

Well how cool is that? Can I get an autograph please?? I love Huey Lewis and The News!!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
2:35 AM

Post #3183517

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/features/177how.shtml

The Robins loooovvvve the Spindle Tree, HURRAY!!!!!!
Equilibrium

February 13, 2007
2:51 AM

Post #3183563

North American Robins (Turdus migratorius) might not be interested in your European Spindle Tree (Euonymus europaeus). The Robin you posted a photo of at your I think is Erithacus rubecula but Resin would probably know for sure.

You keep forgetting where you live now- tee he. You're gardening for North American wildlife now not European Wildlife. I need to somehow someway get you over to that Las Pilitis.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
3:05 AM

Post #3183646

Oh my, this isn't Europe, I keep forgetting!
Thanks Equi... SNIFF ( running tears)
Equilibrium

February 13, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #3183655

There there there, your husband is gone and you've got his credit card number. What more could a wife want. No time like the present to use it here-
http://www.laspilitas.com/

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2007
9:41 AM

Post #3183944

[quote]The Robin you posted a photo of at your I think is Erithacus rubecula but Resin would probably know for sure[/quote]
Yep, it is Erithacus rubecula

[quote]American Robins (Turdus migratorius) might not be interested in your European Spindle Tree (Euonymus europaeus)[/quote]
I would think they almost certainly would eat them - there are some very similar American native species of Euonymus (e.g. Euonymus atropurpureus, Euonymus americanus, and Euonymus occidentalis), and American Robins feed on their fruit. Also likely that American Robins are in at least part responsible for spreading the seeds of the invasive Asian species Euonymus alatus. Whether Euonymus europaeus might also become invasive as a result is something else to think about . . .

Resin

This message was edited Feb 13, 2007 10:45 AM
Equilibrium

February 13, 2007
12:12 PM

Post #3184130

I knew you'd know! Unfortunately it is listed as invasive in a few places and as it gains in popularity it may become moreso. Here's hoping our American Robins aren't interested in the fruit.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
3:22 PM

Post #3184665

Not so fast Equi!!! LOL
It isn't invasive on the West coast, I looked into it!
SOOOO, Bring it on ROBINNNNNN!
Equilibrium

February 13, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #3185086

Not so fast "little miss new to gardening for wildlife"!!! It hasn't gained in popularity out by you yet. If it does and if our robins acquire a taste for it like the birds out east did and start gobbling it up to poop it out when they fly away, it could end up being as much of a problem out west as it is out east.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/692546/

You've only got 6 days left to run his credit card bill up on plants. Get your rear in gear and use that credit card!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3185097

Equi, I just spoke to Lucile, one state up from me, and she has had several of them for over 25 years. She said they are not invasive at all here, at least not the Eropean one! Pehew, weight off my chest!
ooops, gotta go, my fruit trees are here!!!!
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #3185770

I kind of hate to say this, but Lucille is the one selling the plant, correct? We've seen plenty of evidence of invasive tendencies of other plants, yet the nursery still sells them to us. Please think about that. I know nothing about the tree, but for me there's information out there that the plants [possible] tendencies should be considered.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #3186492

These new friends aren't green yet, but they will be soon!!!

Before, during and after pics!

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #3186498

during

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2007
1:24 AM

Post #3186508

and after

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #3186513

I can't feel my hands anymore, nor my back... Blood, sweat and tears, but OOOOOOOH so happy!!!

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2007
11:01 AM

Post #3187295

It looks great!!
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2007
1:00 PM

Post #3187566

Hope you took a good long soak in the tub to sooth your aching muscles!!

Happy Valentines Day to all...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #3190258

Happy Valentine's day to you all!! I got a snickers which I have to hide and a free dinner.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #3193087

Fashionably late, but meant from the bottom of my heart ; HAPPY VALENTINE!!!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #3193141

Terryr; the hot water for my muscles didn't work; all the scrapes and scratches burn! ( the full wheelbarrel tipped over, cut me deep, I had to get a tetanus shot, which gave me a even worse muscle ache!!! My doctor asked me how I did it, and she said "Christie, you're a beast!" Some compliment he!)
Pepper; how was your snickers?
Funny story; when my son had a tooth pulled because it broke biting lego's apart, the dentist didn't give him the "pink nose" because it wasn't going to be bad. He was wrong! The tooth broke with a horrible sound, the nurse blinked and I almost fainted. That night, I made dinner, but Mattie wanted a smoothie, and I ate a snickers! That sound got stuck resonating over and over again in my head and kept me from eating!
The next day, when he wanted candy in the morning, his dad was back home, and he said "no candy instead of a meal". Well, he said "mommy had a sneakerbar for dinner too!"
So, I KNOW how valuable a snickers can be!
Forgive my typo's; I a forreigner in 4 of the 5 languages I speak...

This message was edited Feb 15, 2007 4:17 PM

This message was edited Feb 15, 2007 4:19 PM

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #3193353

Ooohh!! I had a tetanus shot last summer! Those things hurt almost as bad as the wound. When I get a lot of scratches and that from plants, applying layer after layer of lotion always feels better. We have a huge wheelbarrow and it's about all I can do to keep it under control. I lost control once, we lived in TN at the time, our backyard was a slope, the wheelbarrow took off, I got in front of it, and the dang thing bounced on my big toe. I lost my toe nail :( First time I've ever lost a nail and I hope it's the last. Man, that's gross.

How come nobody's sharing their snickers bars?? You're making me hungry for a one!

What's the picture of Christie?

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #3193393

The picture is my Valentine gift from nature; on Valentine! She is my genetic dwarf peach tree. Don't remember which variety; I threw away a bunch of old labels, and must have thrown that one out too!
Wheelbarrels are scary things, I need one with two wheels in the front. Our ground is uneven everywhere, and the darn thing tips over, unles you put almost nothing in it, but than, what's the point hey...
Did your toenail grow back?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #3193593

Terry, you can't have it. still haven't eaten it. gonna wait til tomorrow.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2007
12:44 AM

Post #3193721

Yummy, I love peaches! I have a garden wagon that I much prefer, but I can't haul near what I can in the wheelbarrow. Yep, toenail grew back... wasn't complete though till after 2 years! That first summer after it fell off, it looked awfully strange with this little nub painted like the rest of my toes, and it looked silly not being painted. And my toenails must be painted when warm weather comes!

pepper, you're mean! Weren't you taught to share??? LOL!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #3193756

Hey! Nice to know I not the only one who paints their toenails!! LOL. I like to do each one in a different color. and I was taught to share but it never caught on. LOL. I have ripped nails too and I hate the way they look until they are back to normal. UGH!! LOL
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2007
3:21 AM

Post #3194109

Well, like you said above, you've done lost yer mind! You paint each toenail a different color? Yup, you done lost it!

Tomorrow is our weekly trip to Wally World, I'm going to get a snickers bar and taunt you with it!

They're calling for 2-4 inches of snow tomorrow night into Sat!! Yippee!!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2007
3:56 AM

Post #3194249

STOP talking about snickers; now I want one tooooooooooo ( and don't have a one!)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2007
11:04 AM

Post #3194526

*snickers*

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2007
3:12 PM

Post #3195191

how 'bout mars bars? I hate them, and you can talk about them until the morning!

Or, send me a snickers forst...Christie
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #3196914

And ya know, there we are at Wally World and I'm not hungry. I stood there looking at them, but I didn't buy one. I stayed strong! What are the candy bars that have the whipped filling? Let's talk about those, because who wants to eat air??
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #3196942

I ate the snickers today and it was gooooood. LOL. Terry, i can't believe you didn't get the snickers. That just ain't right.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2007
3:39 AM

Post #3197556

I showed great restraint and will power! After all, not all us gals are natural little string beans like you!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2007
5:08 AM

Post #3843421

Today a new green friend showed up in the garden. I thought it was a grass hopper, but DH thinks it's a cycade.
Anyways, it's pretty!
Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2007
5:09 AM

Post #3843422

and another picture

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2007
5:10 AM

Post #3843426

isn't he beautiful

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2007
5:12 AM

Post #3843431

And this one I found in Santa Barbara, so I couldn't call him my friend technically.
I hope it doesn't bite, because I moved the poor soul to a safer location than the parkinglot!

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2007
5:13 AM

Post #3843432

Him and his new surroundings

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #3850054

Nobody take a guess?
Equilibrium

August 13, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #3850197

Tell us!

He's beautiful though! Your photography makes even the uglies look pretty!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2007
3:55 AM

Post #3850487

I truly don't know! I was hoping you would know Equi!

Thanks, if only I could make a picture of myself! ( "Your photography makes even the uglies look pretty!")
Nice to hear from you again!

Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Equilibrium

August 13, 2007
4:12 AM

Post #3850539

Polyphylla decemlineata but you better go confirm that with the bug people.

When did you take the photo?

Missed you too!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2007
4:16 AM

Post #3850546

A few days ago, after our camping trip in Kings Canyon, where Johnny saw the canyon and I didn't cause I get dizzy looking down!!
Thanks, I'll look it up. Is that the beetle or the green thing?

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Equilibrium

August 13, 2007
4:42 AM

Post #3850607

That was the beetle thing. The green thing is pretty easy. I bet Matti could poke around on the Internet and get the id on that one so I'm not telling. Work to earn your keep woman!

Looks like you have a European Honey Bee there. I love bees. Check out this site-
http://nature.berkeley.edu/urbanbeegardens/

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2007
5:25 AM

Post #3850661

Ok, Mattie and I googled it, let's see if you approve; http://www.whatsthatbug.com/katy_2.html

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2007
5:27 AM

Post #3850667

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGIC,GGIC:2006-49,GGIC:en&q=Polyphylla+decemlineata+&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Equi, you got that beetle right!! Thanks!

Christie

PS; the bee link is awesome!!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2007
5:40 AM

Post #3850687

Greater Arid-Land Katydid

That is Mattie and my guess.
Come on, tell me now, pretty please?
CC

one more of the beetle

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Equilibrium

August 13, 2007
6:06 AM

Post #3850704

Nope, that's not what the green thing is. Try again ;)

Look very closely at your own photos. They are excellent photos that have all the clues you need to nail the id.

Yet another great photo of the ugly beetle.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2007
4:00 AM

Post #3854773

Well, it still looks like a katydid to me... I looked in all my books here, and I am convinced it is a catydid. Now I need to find out which one, right? Right. :-)

Christie
Equilibrium

August 14, 2007
5:49 AM

Post #3854926

Here's looking at you babe-
http://www.wallcoo.net/animal/insects_wallpaper/m01/Predatory_Katydid.jpg

Here’s a hint to what I think you've got but I'm no expert and you really will need to check it out with the bug folk- Scudderia

Now try to figure out which one you think it is and I'll tell you which one I think it is. Your photos are excellent so if I think I figured it out, I am sure you can. You just need a little help with an online tool-
http://buzz.ifas.ufl.edu/katylist.htm#Subfamily%20Phaneropterinae

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #3920351

This is it. I think.
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGIC,GGIC:2006-49,GGIC:en&q=Forktailed+bush+katydid&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Forktailed bush katydid

This message was edited Aug 30, 2007 8:44 PM
Equilibrium

September 3, 2007
1:20 PM

Post #3931196

Sorry, I was gone then you were gone then I was gone again but now we're both back. By gosh by golly, I think you've got it!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2007
3:19 PM

Post #3931598

I searched high and low, for a looong time.
Then I had an idea; I went to the website of my extension office and went snooping around bug pictures.
I am convinced it's it; on the website they say it loves peaches and nectarines; well; that's exactely where I find all of mine.
Nice to hear from you again Equi!!!

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Equilibrium

September 3, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #3931687

Nice to be back... now excuse me while I go and bang my head against the wall a few times for ordering a new computer with a firewall that I don't know how to configure. Believe it or not I can't see one photo at DG. My new whatever is blocking every image as an ad.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #3932649

Too bad, 'cause I just posted a picture of a bug but!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2007
12:18 AM

Post #3933703

Don't you just hate new computers? lol.
Equilibrium

September 4, 2007
4:19 AM

Post #3934788

A bug butt! For shame for shame that you are posting that when I can't see any photos. I going to have to go bugbuttless for a while.

My problem is that I don't have the time to read up on how to configure the firewall right now and none of my personal friends use the application I have so there's nobody to run to for help and to hold my hand. The other problem is transferring data from that external hard drive. It's going to be a while before I'm totally up and running and I'm probably going to be really crabby until everything is running smooth again.

Guess I'm going to be banging my head for a while.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #3937657

Don't bang too hard or you will lose all the info up there. :~p
Equilibrium

September 5, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #3938090

I'm just irritated. There was a really good squirrel thread and the guy/gal loaded a bunch of photos I had been waiting to see. That was when I started clicking on anything that looked as if it would help me see photos. I've no doubt I've done damage so I'm just going to sit tight and wait for some cyber knight in shining armour to come along and bail me out.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2007
11:54 PM

Post #4009674

Don't know if they're my friends ( you tell me), but it is green. And yukky!!!
And look at the goop around it, ouch!

But, if they're benefical or some friend's favorite afternoon snack, I will leave it be.
Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2007
11:55 PM

Post #4009676

and another one just to make sure you stay ON your diet, appetising they are not!!!

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2007
12:00 AM

Post #4009687

It's looking like Christmaaaaas!!!!!!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #4009690

Is this the type of Christmas gifts you get? I don't see the link...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #4009698

LOL. You have a green thing on a red flower. Christmas colors.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #4009763

Oh dear, I must be an idiot for not seeing that!!! LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #4009852

LOL
Equilibrium

September 24, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #4009991

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!

Looks as if you have a nice case of plant boogers there my dear!

I don't know what they are. Maybe you better post the picture of your little plant boogers over in Garden pests. Please don't forget to come back and share what they are if you find out!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #4010013

I am going over to report the boogers! Will call in with results!! Over and out!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2007
4:55 PM

Post #4160116

There we are again, with a new friend. Never seen this one before, usually I just get Cross Spiders.
This bee was still pumping out the yellow stuff when the spider was wrapping it up.
Anybody know whether I should run for my life or not?
A name for this beauty would be appreciated.
And Equi, please don't pull your old stunt on me again; I have a hysterectomy coming up and don't have time to go explore the WWWeb again. ( hihi) ( I am also working now!)

Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2007
4:56 PM

Post #4160118

and another pic, a bit flurry.

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Equilibrium

November 5, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #4161481

Run, run very far and very fast and don't look back lest you trip.

Oh my, that's the ever so elusive Spiderus undersideii var. mattisbackyard. Woman, can't you get a photo of the top of the spider :)

Hey what did you ever learn about the boogers? You were going to report back.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #4161918

Equi, you are right ( as always, are you related to my DH?), I didn't share my wisdom about the boogers!
I couldn't repeat what got said, so here you go, it is a short read, apparently a lot of people got scared by my description haha,
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/773837/

Christie

Edit to say, Equi, you kill me with your wisdom, that IS the spider you said!!!
I will try to find her/him again and ask for a smile so you can identify!!!

This message was edited Nov 5, 2007 5:21 PM
Equilibrium

November 6, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4162118

Gosh, this must have been one of those times where I simply couldn't control the wisdom oozing from my pores with that identification.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4162134

LOL!! Boy, I hear that southern drawl coming out now!!
Equilibrium

November 6, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #4162180

No southern drawls on either one of us. If you heard the two of us talking you'd really have a good laugh. We're both about as far from having southern drawls as you can get.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #4165901

LOL. I live literally in the Mid of the Midwest so I can do both. If I hang around people from up north long enough I get that accent and if I am around southerns for a day or 2 I get the southern drawl. Otherwise I have what I call KC drawl. lol
Equilibrium

November 7, 2007
2:52 AM

Post #4166179

We have what you would refer to as a combo European drawl and UPer twang. Tee he.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2007
2:54 AM

Post #4166187

Oh boy...lol

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2007
3:41 AM

Post #4166344

Are you referrriiung two mi spelingsmystaces?

Christie :-)
Equilibrium

November 7, 2007
4:19 AM

Post #4166461

Ov corse not dear, ya hey dare!
Equilibrium

November 10, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #4176980

Christie- go to this thread for some really beautiful photos of home-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/788321/
Scroll down and look for anything posted by a member named bonitin.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2007
4:32 AM

Post #4177745

Thank you so much Equi, sometimes, when I remember how beautiful my country is, I do miss it.
Very beautiful pictures, great of you to point them out to me!!!

CC
Equilibrium

November 10, 2007
7:33 AM

Post #4177951

;)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Wildlife Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbirds! Marilynbeth 92 Apr 29, 2007 7:34 PM
Idaho to kill wolves terryr 36 Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM
Any one know alot about hawks? lavenderwolf 24 Jun 6, 2007 2:40 PM
Drip watering system for birds? Equilibrium 68 Apr 3, 2008 10:18 AM
Moving a spider egg sac, possible? cresida 23 Jul 21, 2011 4:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America