Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: viburnum opulos (roseum)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
olsen
kefalonia
Greece

January 22, 2007
8:53 AM

Post #3109515

I would like to transplant a young snowball bush, when is the best time to do this. It is currently January and it is just beginning to bud?
ecobioangie
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2007
6:34 PM

Post #3110908

Generally the best time to move things is when they are asleep/dormant, but the ground is not frozen. I'm not sure how cold it gets there. If you are getting buds I would think it is close to how it is here. If you need to move it now, you can, just make sure you get all the roots and don't cut off any and be careful not to beat it up too much and you should be fine. What you want to avoid is moving something when it is too hot. When things are in bud you will always run the risk of losing the flowers, but shrubs are pretty tough. Good luck!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2007
1:03 PM

Post #3113442

Just be sure when you transplant anything to give PLENTY of water for the first few weeks!

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #3119579

I would think that the sooner you move it now the better.
Those buds may stay dormant a bit longer. And of course, Eco is right get as many roots as you can.

dig out away from the plant about as tall as it is and get them out gently. the feeder roots will tend to run to the side further than you'd think as well as down. It won't be as deeply rooted as you'd think... I've managed to rescue a few plants since I learned this secret.
~Blooms
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #3154614

When you replant your shrub, it is a good idea to use a soluable fertilizer with a high phosphorous content (the middle number) as P promotes good root developement. Also a product with IBA ( indolbuteric acid) a rooting hormone.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America