Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: rooting Jatropha cuttings in water

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 28, Views: 211
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2007
12:16 AM

Post #3115513

I have left a lot of foliage on the top...covered with a zip lock bag under gro lights...do I need to remove most of the foliage? Do I need to scrape the wood towards the bottom of each cutting. I posted with the experts, but i think I never post in the right place as this site is new to me. thanks
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2007
1:24 AM

Post #3115744

Hi Betty,

This is the right place to post! There are some other right places too, but you can always post here if you're not sure where else to go. I did look at the threads you've started and can't find another one on this topic, so I wonder if your post actually posted? Or if you put your question as a reply in someone else's thread, sometimes questions won't get noticed that way even if it's in the right forum.

I'll try to help on a couple of your questions and hopefully someone else who's propagated Jatrophas will come along (if not, you could post your question on either the Propagation forum or the Tropicals forum, those would be two other "right" places). I don't really do much with cuttings, but I have read that you should remove most of the foliage, so it may be helpful to remove some of the leaves. I also wouldn't put it under the grow light just yet, cuttings prefer more indirect light until they start to make some new roots, then put it under the grow light and watch it take off. Also, make sure the ziploc bag isn't coming in contact with the leaves, otherwise it can increase the chances of fungus problems. And you may want to open the bag to the air from time to time so that you don't get too much condensation--you want a good level of humidity in there, but too much can lead to fungal problems. Sorry can't help you on the scraping part--I don't think that's something you usually need to do, but since I don't do much with cuttings I don't know if it might be helpful for this plant or not.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #3115843

I did make the mistake of answering another thread...anyway, thanks for reminding me that they don't want the light yet...I knew better than that. I didn't know that the leaves should not touch the zip lock bag...will do that immediately and remove a lot of the foliage. You helped a lot!! thanks...sooner or later...I will learn to navigate around this place...in the meantime I get the best answers here on the beginners' forum...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #3115887

I'm glad to hear you're getting the answers you need here on the beginner forums--that's what they're here for! I think what happens if the plastic is touching the leaves is that it traps water there, and if there was any nasty stuff like fungus floating around that gives it a perfect breeding ground to start growing. Too much moisture is almost never a good thing!
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 24, 2007
11:23 AM

Post #3116515

Bettygail
Is this the same plant ?
I fount for matches on Plant Files
http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=Jatropha&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
Some of them gave growing info from different growers and links too !
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/368631/
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2007
2:48 PM

Post #3117140

Kudos to you, Allison...my red is called Jatropha 'Spicey' and the pink is called 'Spicey Baby Doll'...thanks and I have done what everyone has told me to do...now i even know the name..thanks
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 24, 2007
3:53 PM

Post #3117370

Their beautiful ! I notice many of the Plant files people give growing tips too !
bbinnj
West Orange, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #3122636

Ack! Don't root jatrophas in water! Root them in moist perlite or cactus mix with perlite; the ziploc bag is a good idea. Jatropha cuttings must callous over before rooting (overnight or so). A heat mat helps too.
Spicy jatropha is Jatropha interregima or J. hastata; is yours a cultivar of another jatropha? I'm growing some jatrophas of other species too.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2007
11:57 PM

Post #3122693

bbinnj, why do you say so emphatically not to root in water...water usually works? I wouldn't have any idea of what I am propagating...I bought them last summer about 5 feet tall in 3 or 5 gallon containers...beautiful soft pink and a true red...I have posted pics of them on site somewhere?????????
bbinnj
West Orange, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2007
11:59 PM

Post #3122701

It'll rot. There are some plants that ought not be rooted in water; the cacti and succulents are among those. If you have flowers, you ought to have seed pods. J. interregima can be propagated readily from seeds. Unless yours is some hybrid cultivar, then you can't use the seeds.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #3122732

I am soooooooo confused...this certainly does not look like a cactus or succulent...but I noticed on another thread that Ardesia says to use the same as you said...so, i will do that tomorrow...out of the water they come...thanks...I have a Desert Rose and these don't look like that.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bbinnj
West Orange, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2007
2:59 PM

Post #3124515

Trust me, jatrophas are succulents. So are plumerias and they don't look it either. Plumerias get rooted in a mixture of potting mix and perlite (I just rooted one).
Is your desert rose an adenium (if that is your photo, it looks sort of like one from the leaves and flower)? I have one too, Adenium obesum. It too is a succulent, and it too oozes a toxic latex. There are several plants called desert rose, but I think the one most often called it is A. obesum. If you have these kinds of plants and like them, you ought to hang out at the cactus and succulents forum, and also at the caudiciform forum (where folks post on adeniums, jatrophas, and other fat bellied plants). They are really addictive.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2007
3:08 PM

Post #3124545

Here is what i thought was an Adenium
Thanks for the suggestion to hang out in the other forum as I do love these plants so much...and thanks for the help with the jatropha, too

Thumbnail by gessiegail

bbinnj
West Orange, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3124903

You are most welcome.
Didn't you post that to the plumeria forum? From this angle, it looks more like a plumie (plumies and adeniums are related).
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2007
7:53 PM

Post #3125599

Definitely an Adenium. I don't know which cultivar it is, but it's definitely an Adenium not a Plumeria.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #3125701

this has already been discussed on another forum...it is an Adenium...I am new, but I am trying not to be redundant
phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #3139094

Hi Gail,

Just found these new beginner gardener forums. I love your pink jatropha; where did you find the pink one? I saw some in BaySide at that nursery called Copano something or other and almost bought one, but I have two reds so I held off.

I have rooted jatrophas from cuttings. I usually remove quite a few of the leaves (but not all), dip it in a rooting solution, and then place in a pot with seed-starting mix. Keep soil moist but not too wet. I've never tried to root any this time of year. Usually do it when it's much warmer though.

Have you ever tried to take cuttings on your adenium? I haven't had any luck with cuttings (i tried it a couple of times) on these. There was a thread started in the plumeria forum about adeniums some time back and I was amazed at all the different varieties and colors they come in. Very nice . . .

Patty
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #3139327

i have a 60" heated growing mat with a thermostat...I put the cuttings in the water for a week...then dipped in rooting hormone and they are in half soil mix and half perlite right now on the mat inside with zip locks that go on and off...we will see about this time of the year. I found the pink one somewhere in Rockport at a nursery...I haven't been to Bayside but want to go. I am going to try the adenium cuttings when the sun gets on them on a regular basis...I had to cut off the frozen parts after that first freeze we had (I forgot to move to the front porch and cover)...I really want to start finding different colors of this adeniums...going to post a really bad picture, but it does show the intensity of the color of it...still learning to take pictures but can't get the macro lense on yet. The friend in Aransas Pass who got the adenium for me says she grows all hers from seed...and she is very successful (I let the wind blow off two giant pods this year) Next summer I am going to wrap them in a panty hose so i don't lose them.

Thumbnail by gessiegail

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
1:26 PM

Post #3141493

Help please, the jatropha cuttings are now on a heating mat in 60/40 potting soil and perlite...they keep putting on new foliage, but no roots. Do I snip out the new foliage or leave everything alone?...so far, they look healthy but i want that energy to go down , not up for foliage????????
phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
2:00 PM

Post #3141606

I would think if they look healthy then leave them alone, but I'm still a novice when it comes to cuttings. Where are our experts?????

Where did you get your heating mats? Are you pleased with them? I've thought about getting one before, but never have.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
2:11 PM

Post #3141637

I'm not an expert either...but if you're seeing new growth, it's a pretty good sign that either there are some small roots there or there will be very soon. I would probably leave the new growth alone unless you start to see wilting or something.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
2:11 PM

Post #3141640

I got Helen Gonzales of Greens n Things to order mine...she is a good friend of mine. They were still expensive at whole sale price...149.00 but remember these are 60" long and hold a lot of plants or trays...under propagation or in this thread or one in the beginner section people told where they had gotten theirs...sorry I can't remember the thread or forum.
The experts haven't gotten on today...
Yes, back to your original question..I love my mats...because I can take cuttings before the plants get too damaged from the winter weather...also have some hibsicus cuttings going of my favorite yellow one.
I can't wait for us to go nursery shopping together in the spring and just look or buy...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
2:13 PM

Post #3141642

ecrane3...I just knew you would be hopping around before long...thanks and I will leave them alone...not wilting at all...
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 1, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #3143581

Beautiful Bettygail ! I'm in love with your plant ! Just like the one my neighbor had :)) I so admired
Me I like everything , Bromeilaids, Ee, Arums, Plumeiras, Gesneriads, foliage, houseplants, tropical , seed trading, so many wonderful forums too hard to hang out in all of them :))
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 1, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #3143677

Beautiful Bettygail ! I'm in love with your plant ! Just like the one my neighbor had :)) I so admired
Me I like everything , Bromeilaids, Ee, Arums, Plumeiras, Gesneriads, foliage, houseplants, tropical , seed trading, so many wonderful forums too hard to hang out in all of them :))
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 1, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #3143685

OOPS sorry for the double post~ About Desrt Rose ~ Your's is the one I've been dreaming of :))
There are a few different Desrt Roses
They are Category as :
Shrubs
Tropicals/Tender Perennials
Cactus and Succulents
Here is a list in Plant files.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=desert rose&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
Now this one here Miniature Desert Rose
Trichodiadema densum is Cactus and Succulents
Look at the picture difference from yours.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/60060/
Here their grown as Shrubs
Tropicals/Tender Perennials
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 1, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #3143694

Betty gail sorry back to your cuttings don't cut off new foliage roots will come. Your doing great !
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2007
1:38 AM

Post #3143945

Allison, my cuz came in from out of town and I will read these links you sent me tomorrow or Friday...thanks so much as I know little about them...didn't even know there are different categoryies of them...
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 1, 2007
9:26 PM

Post #3146732

Your Well come so glad you got company ! Enjoy have fun!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America