Photo by Melody

Poppies: Poppy reference sources (and pictures too)

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 29, Views: 899
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2007
3:39 PM

Post #3117314

The one book I rely on is 'Poppies,the poppy family in the wild and in cultivation' revised edition, by Christopher Grey-Wilson. I'm sure there are many more out there, I just haven't looked for them. What do you use ?

Lotsa poppy comments on other forums which is appropriate too, but I suppose if we are to have a special poppy forum I'd best post here. It seems poppies don't grow everywhere Now that's a surprise as I thought they were universal. Here in the "Pungent Sound" they grow with great abandon and are by far my favorite yard decoration. (except for those darn blue poppies that hate me) With 280 photos of poppies in my iPhoto album it seems I'm hooked. The Orientals are scattered about in front and back yards now but I've harbored an idea of having one big area for them exclusively. Will this be the year ?

In any event lets hear about some of your 'poppying' adventures.

This picture is a"pom-pom" (silly name) type of somniferum.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2007
3:58 PM

Post #3117395

Oh gee ! How about an Argimone platyceras. White Prickly Poppy, " A. platyceras inhabits hills and mountain slopes, often on rocky or volcanic soils, cultivated and fallow fields and wasteland at quite high elevations, 1850-3200 m (6100-10,500 ft.). It is widespread in Mexico from Vera Cruz to southern Hidalgo, Oaxca and Michoacan, as well as the state of Mexico itself." Taken from 'Poppies' by Christopher Grey-Wilson.

Thumbnail by balvenie

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2007
4:23 AM

Post #3119947

Here's a link to this book's page in the Bookworm for people like me who want to check it out: http://davesgarden.com/gbw/c/1033/

Balvenie, I've been admiring your pictures on your garden diary page, that's quite a collection! I wonder if you get crosses in your garden, do they cross easily?
I'm starting four or five kinds this year, and a few aren't labeled with the species, just the color, so I really don't know what to expect.
But some are P. somniferum, Flanders field poppies, and one called Stardust hybrids mix that I can't find anything about. Some I planted late last summer to see if I could get a jump on next year. They look okay so far, the leaves are almost a foot high and they've made it through some teens and low twenties weather.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2007
6:27 AM

Post #3120080

"The clump", growing in front of a nice Yew with southern exposure has for several years surprised me with what appears to be an ever changing variety of color and form. This year I'll add some deep purples and doubles to see what will happen. (whites too, If I can find them)
skimper
Greenwich, OH

January 25, 2007
8:06 PM

Post #3121814

Nice!photos of the poppies.I enjoy!the peony poppies and the fringed poppies.I wintersowed the Himalayan blue poppy.Not sure if this poppy will make it in my zone.Worth the try.I like the blue color of this poppy.
One of my favorite poppies from last year,lavender peony poppy.

Thumbnail by skimper

balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2007
10:43 PM

Post #3122445

Skimper, that one is a beauty. I love all poppies, but the blue ones are my favorites. Wish I knew how to grow them here. The nursery plants are only good for the one season and seeds don't do anything in my garden patch. Here's one that didn't get away.

Thumbnail by balvenie

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #3122459

Are there any blue Papaver or are they all Meconopsis genus? See, now I gotta get the book
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2007
10:51 PM

Post #3122468

To the best of my knowledge the color is unique to Meconopsis varieties.
mulchmania
Ennis, MT
(Zone 4a)

January 25, 2007
10:59 PM

Post #3122493

Sheesh, I would be thrilled to get one to bloom for one season here! That is a gorgeous flower, balvenie!
skimper
Greenwich, OH

January 25, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #3122655

Your right balvenie that is the true blue poppy out there.There is a white Himalayan poppy under this species.Seymours seed catalog has seeds of the Grandis poppy which is classified under the meconopsis species of the Himalayan poppies.The Grandis is suppose to be hardy to zones 5-8.It looks similar to the betoniccifolia poppy,which is the true blue Himalayan poppy.
The Himalayan poppy ,is suppose to be hardy according to Seymours seed catalog to zones 7-8.I see a few people has grown these in zones colder than this.Maybe I will have good results with wintersowing these seeds?There is so many varities of the somniferum annual poppies and the fringed poppies are nice also.There is a somniferum poppy I grew 2 yrs.ago and it is called the persian blue,it is more of a lavender purplish color and is tall and a single poppy.I have a few poppies I have grown this year in my DG member page listed under photobucket.I wintersowed pattys plum oriental poppy ,I will see what results I have coming Late spring.The rest of my poppies I direct sow late fall for blooms coming late Spring .
NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2007
1:01 AM

Post #3158043

balvenie, did you allow your meconopsis to bloom the first year? I have read that first year blooms are the kiss of death. You are supposed to pinch off all buds the first year so the plant will put energy into developing a good root system. I don't know if that is true or not - I have just read it several places.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2007
2:58 AM

Post #3158409

I tried pinching and not pinching, nursery plants and seeds, different exposure locations and everything I could think of. Still had extremely poor success. The only Meconopsis that do any good are the Welsh Poppies. I love the blue poppies, but they don't like me, or my microclimate? With so many wonderful poppy varieties I can't get hung up on a few that try my limited patience. Wish it wasn't so. Thanks for the thought.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 28, 2007
7:33 AM

Post #3233421

Meconopsis does well here. I am still experimenting with propagating from seed. I'm having difficulty getting them from the seedling stage to plant stage. We have a small nursery business in Seward, so every spring, we head up to the Mat-valley to buy seed potatoes and blue poppies. The Blue Poppy is a wonderful nursery up in the hills on Wolverine Lake. There are Meconopsis everywhere! It is quite a sight. We buy 30-40 plants and sell them all every summer. I've asked about first year blooms, and I was told they never pluck them and have had no problems. The seedlings are probably more stressed by too much heat than too much chill, and the heat of summer can be hard on them. They seem to thrive on our cool, moist summers.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2007
5:49 PM

Post #3234660

Weezer, everything I've read says Meconopsis only hardy in zones 7 and 8? You're 3 b? do you replant each year, or do they self seed? Thanks.

Diann
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 28, 2007
7:58 PM

Post #3235054

I always mulch, but that's about it. These poppies are a lot hardier than listed. I've asked for changes to our PF, but I don't know if it was done. The Blue Poppy farm is up in the hills of the Mat-valley, and they get much colder temps and less snow than us, so these poppies are quite tough. I've always collected the seeds, but I see that they self seed themselves all over the hillside at the Blue Poppy farm.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2007
8:36 PM

Post #3235214

Thanks Weezer! ;)
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 28, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3235243

You're welcome.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3238001

Nice article on Oriental Poppies in the March issue of Garden Design. Dan Hinkley also does articles for them. Good magazine.
skimper
Greenwich, OH

March 1, 2007
7:07 PM

Post #3238065

I wintersowed the himalayan blue poppy seeds.I hope they make it in our zone.Our summers get humid.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2007
11:33 AM

Post #3243639

I live in the near tropics. I was very surprised to see a native (?) poppy in this part of FL. I am still researching the plant. I have started it from seed, it is fall sown, winter growing, summer dormant and very yellow.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2007
3:38 PM

Post #3244188

Looks like Argemone mexicana. Beautiful flower. I have A. platyceras that sort of survives in the great NW.

Thumbnail by balvenie

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2007
2:31 PM

Post #3280085

Does anyone know of a book or online resource that provides good pictures of seedlings? What about the book in the first post? I plan to see if our library has it.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2007
2:36 PM

Post #3280099

Here's one:

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings.html

and another that's growing:

http://wintersown.org/wseo1/Seedling_Photos_P.html

This message was edited Mar 14, 2007 10:41 AM
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #3280121

Perfect! Thanks, claypa, that is exactly what I was looking for.
ssdavis
Blacklick, OH

April 16, 2007
10:21 PM

Post #3399828

I am planting a poppy garden and would appreciate any suggestions for pom-pom or peony poppy types - zone 5. Thanks!!
macsie
Greenbush, MI
(Zone 4b)

May 16, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #6556705

For those who subscribe to Horticulture magazine, there is an excellent article on the Himilayan Blue Poppy. Is it a perennial, biennial or what?

Something to think about when we tried so hard to obtain seeds.

Carol M.
cowgirl2
Calgary
Canada

May 21, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6579008

There is a new book on meconopsis with a reasonably good history of the plant in cultivation and with specific cultural information.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Heaven-Encounters-Poppy/dp/1894898826/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242876463&sr=1-2
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

May 22, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6583507

There are several species of the Himalayan blue poppies. I grow a well-established hybrid called 'Lingholm' and M. betonicifolia. They are both perennials.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

September 3, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #7019710

About blue poppies. Somewhere I have read that Luther Burbank had developed a strain of Shirley poppies (Papaver Rhoeas) which had some with blue pigment.
It was called Burbank's Sunset Shades. The note is in the book "Heirloom Seeds" by
Lynn Coulter on page 49. Burbank worked in the early 1900s so I expect that strain has been long gone.

Sure would be neat if someone, somewhere had kept that strain going.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

October 7, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #7145961

http://books.google.com/books?id=z_csAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA121&lpg=PA121&dq=poppy burbank sunset shades&source=bl&ots=_PT9-GNadx&sig=dalAOM0S7yc0Hhj6DBpfE6ebRVg&hl=en&ei=FybNSs7-A5HasQPSqt3ADg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false I imagine the effort of keeping the yellow shades, etc. out of the mix was just too much effort.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM
Winter-sowed Poppies Ticker 7 Apr 1, 2007 9:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America