-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #3117398

This morning DH had an email inquiring about his ebay listing. It provided a link to an ebay page, complete w/ logo, ebayer ID and Item #. Hubby was puzzled as he had no current items for sale, but being the smart cookie that he is, he went to ebay to look up this seller, instead of clicking on the link provided. As you guessed, there was no such seller and no such item. He forwarded the email to EBAY and the confirmed that, indeed, it was a scam.

We're figuring that had he clicked on the link, that would have enabled the scammers to set up auctions/scams in hubby's name.

Those punks are so darned smart! Imagine if they used their skills for good. We would live in a perfect world, sigh.
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2007
4:04 PM

Post #3117417

Thanks for the warning to remember to be careful - glad your dh is a smart fella!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #3117430

There always have been con artists and there always will be and there's a special place in you-know-where for them. It's hard to imagine just not caring what you're doing to a fellow traveller. I got an email from "ebay" that made no sense, so I just deleted it -- something about making sure I got paid for something and I've never sold anything on ebay. Bought way too much! But if you don't KNOW what they're talking about, I'd just delete it.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2007
6:21 PM

Post #3117899

You've been "phished"! That's the term for scammers who create look-alike emails that ask you to click on a link and then confirm your account info, password etc.

Phishers do a spectacular job in making their scam site look almost exactly like the site you do business with.
A couple of quick clues is to see if the link uses http versus https. When you scroll your cursor over the link they want you to click (do not click the link, just move your cursor over it) look at the address that appears at the bottom of your screen. It will often be different from the one on the link.

The biggest clue is that a legitimate business will not ask you to confirm your account info via an email. If there is a legitimate account issue, they will ask you to phone them at your usual customer service number. It's a good idea to call the customer service dept of the business being spoofed and let them know that you are being phished. They usually will ask you to forward the scam email to their security department.

Badseed
Lynchburg, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2007
7:07 PM

Post #3118104

My Ebay account was hacked last week! I got an email saying I had not paid for an item. So I looked up the item and did a big HUH?? I asked hubby and he had not been shopping so I forwarded the email to the Ebay spoof mail. Not only did they confirm it was phishing, a few days later I received emails about all the listings someone else had put under my account. Ebay is nicely not charging me all the listing fees (in excess of $80!) but if I get any bad feedback, they will fix it. How nice of them! They assure me my banking info is safe but they would have taken the $80 something in fees out!

Wanna know what I was selling?? LOL Here is a tiny portion of what was listed "by me":

190075147107 Quad 2.5GHz Apple System
190075147144 Quad 2.5GHz Apple System
190075147155 ROLAND COLORCAMM PC 600 PRINTER AND PLOTTER
190075147172 ROLAND COLORCAMM PC 600 PRINTER AND PLOTTER
190075147178 Roland V Stage Electronic Drum Set TD-8 LIKE NEW!!!
190075147201 Roland V Stage Electronic Drum Set TD-8 LIKE NEW!!!
190075147211 Roland V-Drum Set TD-10 Custom Electronic Kit
190075147227 Roland V-Drum Set TD-10 Custom Electronic Kit
190075147246 Roland V-Drum Set TD-10 Custom Electronic Kit
190075147259 Roland V-Drum Set TD-10 Custom Electronic Kit
190075147288 Roland Vdrum TD10 kit used by ApologetiX
190075147303 Roland Vdrum TD10 kit used by ApologetiX
190075147320 Sachtler 20 III ,Tripod Speed lock 2 stage H D,And Bag
190075147328 Sachtler 20 III ,Tripod Speed lock 2 stage H D,And Bag
190075147336 SONOSITE 180 PLUS PORTABLE ULTRASOUND.NO RESERVE...
190075147423 SONOSITE 180 PLUS PORTABLE ULTRASOUND.NO RESERVE...
190075147473 Sonosite 180 Ultrasound Unit with Power Supply
190075147491 Sonosite 180 Ultrasound Unit with Power Supply
190075147505 SonoSite 180 Ultrasound W/ Accessories
190075147518 SonoSite 180 Ultrasound W/ Accessories
190075147525 SonoSite Hand-carried UltraSound System

I sure wish I would have gotten paid for all of it...Geesh!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2007
7:11 PM

Post #3118124

punks! looks like kid stuff. I'm telling ya, if they applied themselves, we probably would already have cure for all cancers, travelled to Mars, have cars that run on air, etc. etc. etc.
Badseed
Lynchburg, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2007
10:17 PM

Post #3118810

LOL Sad that some use their powers to do bad things when they could use them to do good things! What a waste of a good brain, huh?
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2007
10:37 PM

Post #3118870

oooooo Badseed, how much for the Roland V Drums?? lol That's some neat stuff! Tens of thousands of dollars, probably, for all of it. And that's a tiny portion? I guess they were aiming high...

I get junk from "Bank of America" every month or so about a problem with my account. Except I never had one. It looks as real as can be, too. AP Giannini is probably rolling in his grave.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2007
12:05 AM

Post #3119150

i've gotten phished twice twice this week over ebay stuff just like that one you got, nery, only mine was email shipment notification that my purchase had been sent. what purchase? i instantly forwarded it to spoof@ebay.com. and they confirmed a few minutes later that it was a scam. you know when you get the notice that you won and then it says "click here to pay" or whatever it says exactly? i don't even do those when i know they are real. i get back on the ebay sight, sign in and then go to my ebay and pay from there. i don't trust anybody.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #3119187

Badseed - can I get dibs on one of the plotters?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #3119303

Local police think alot of stolen stuff is being fenced thru ebay and this would be a great way to do so with no tracks. Bad news ~ they will keep us on our toes!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #3119438

You know, these guys are getting trickier.

To play it safe, never ever click on any link from Paypal or Ebay.
Simply go to your account in another window, log in and go from there.
I don't care if you receive a notice saying you will be sued, hung by
your toes or your first child taken away, don't click on a link in an email.
Go to another window, go to the site directly.

And always look for the little icon of a security lock at the bottom of
your screen.

The first time I received one of these, I fell for it, confused as to what
on earth the person was talking about.

These people ought to be sent to chain gangs.
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

January 25, 2007
3:35 AM

Post #3119829

Not Kids Stuff... kids are not doing this stuff... its organizd crime...
there are highly skilled technical scammers out there in the world arena ... Russian and South East Asia, warehouses full of them hacking, phishing, counterfeiting etc. Don't trust anyone on the Internet unless you initially reach out to them ... and even then, think twice and go with your gut.
Badseed
Lynchburg, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #3124792

Well, you know there is a problem when I forgot to pay for something and I had no clue what the thing even was! LOL

Apparently these sweet little people hack into your account, change your info, use your name, list their stuff and you never even know it's happening because you don't get any notices.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2007
6:50 AM

Post #3127271

We found we were selling a motorcycle we'd never laid eyes on before! They stole our listing. We saw it happen - it was really strange - the screen did an refresh without us clicking on anything and there was this 'crotch rocket' cycle picture and listing in place of our Honda Shadow!!! wow! We immediately stopped the auction, notified ebay so they froze our acct until they got it taken care of. We had to change our password again but they didn't get into our paypal at all, thankfully. Ebay removed the listing charge and we relisted it with no problems.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2007
11:30 AM

Post #3127411

Con artists indeed and some of them start as teens wanting to buy an aacount for those addictive computer games that allows you to play interactively on millions of skill levels! A teen stole my pay pal account... manipulated it to pay for his video gaming membership...I had to sail the Seven Seas, hike through the Andes and ski the North Pole before I was reimbursed!
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2007
2:17 PM

Post #3127861

Garden, I absolutely HAVE to remember that "I had to sail the Seven Seas, hike through the Andes, and ski the North Pole .before . . ." Boy, if that doesn't say it all, what does!!! Great expression.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2007
6:28 PM

Post #3128571

Murmur~ Thank you! ;0)

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2007
6:33 PM

Post #3142537

Hey guys! I got two emails in the last two months saying that I had added two different exta email addresses to my ebay account which i did not . I soon wrote to ebay spoof and they confirmed that they were bogus so be careful out there. Bev

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3142563

Yeah,
I've gotten about 4-6 in the last month. The way to catch the "phish," is to immediately log on to the legitimate EBAY mail site and check your ebay MAIL INBOX. There would be a record of them having sent you correspondence regarding your account.

Cambium

Cambium
Lamar, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2007
6:49 PM

Post #3142590

Absoloutely! Never click on the link in an Email about official business. Instead, goto the site yourself.

That was a good tip from garden_mermaid about floating your cursor over the link to see the info about it.

~*~ Suenell
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #3186417

these people get more and more sophisticated.
DH bought some electronics and was waiting to hear from seller about shipping cost. In the meantime, he got a very official looking email, not thru ebay, requesting that he click on the link provided for info on shipping. Having been exposed to phishing, he forward the email for Ebayspoof and sure enough, it was a phoney.
Now how did they manage to communicate w/him outside of ebay, but about ebay business?
Janett_D
Gamleby
Sweden
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2007
6:08 PM

Post #3188791

They can comunicate by using Third-party authorisations on your account ones they got acess to it.
Log in to your ebay account go to "My Ebay" hit "Preferences" (left column) then go to "Third-party authorisations"
Make sure you havent got any there. This is how they can comunicate "outside" the actual ebay an do buisness on your account.
Janett
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2007
8:02 PM

Post #3189177

OMG Janett_D, We did, and there was a person listed that we don't know. He deleted it, but do we need to do something else?

Everybody: better check your ebay preferences and ck if any strangers have authorization.
Janett_D
Gamleby
Sweden
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2007
8:26 PM

Post #3189246

When I checked my ebay and I also found one, I also changed my password just to be sure.
Better be on the safe side even if they claime you only have to delet third party.
Janett

Edit to say, I have never answered ANY mail by using links and delete all unrequested mails unopened and still I had one third party on my ebay.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2007 10:31 PM
orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 14, 2007
8:51 PM

Post #3189342

Geez -- I've never done e-bay and am not sure I want to go there. I have a whole bunch of English china that I want to get rid of - forget a garage sale, this stuff is too good - and I thought I would try e-bay when I had time. I'll have to do a whole lot of thinking.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #3189469

orchid, DH and I have done well on ebay. I think it would be a good venue for selling your beautiful china, but I would recommend prepping up, like reading Ebay for Dummies, before venturing.

we always pay by credit card and the one time whe hubby was ripped, the cc company reimbursed us almost immediately. Having said that, maybe others that have bought or sold in the 100s have a different view. I much prefer dealing in that arena, than having unkown people come to my house. Nothing like buying/selling stuff in your jammies, lol

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2007
12:18 AM

Post #3190048

We like ebay too. We've had our acct stolen twice but each time it was corrected quickly. Ebay caught it the first time, we caught it the 2nd time. Neither time was our paypal compromised or money lost. I know some experts say the site isn't safe enough but I think if you watch your acct closely and change your password often - ebay guy recommended every 2-3 months to us but we don't do it that often. We enjoy using ebay but are not big buyers or sellers. Small potatoes, really. :)
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2007
6:34 AM

Post #3190920

Yikes ! Thanks a bunch for this information.
I've gotten PayPal emails saying that I owe $.80 or such
and just figured it was a scam, so just deleted it as I've never
sold anything on eBay. Now I'm gonna go and check too. Thanks.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

February 15, 2007
2:06 PM

Post #3191544

Do any of you use ebay toolbar? If you do, do you like it?

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #3191614

Don't use it. sorry. :)
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2007
8:30 PM

Post #3192863

Well, I went and checked on eBay last night. Gues what?
Somebody is on my account, registered in Nov. of 2005 !!!
I would never have known. Thanks a bunch for this thread,
Vossner.

I sent an e-mail to Security, and they told me not to delete it yet.
They will take care of it and then contact me, but I'm gonna check
again in a few days. If it wasn't for DG, I wouldn't have had a clue.
Paid for my membership renewal right then and there, and maybe
even a lot more further down the line, if not in cash then at least
in aggrevation.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2007
9:01 PM

Post #3193004

I checked last night too and there was an authorized person on mine too - since sometime in 04! I took off the authorization and it's gone. I guess I should have sent it in also.
ceeadsalaskazone3
Seward, AK

February 16, 2007
11:13 PM

Post #3196824

I just checked now and found two! I had them deleted. Thank you Janett!!!!
Carol
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 17, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #3197115

How do they get there?

I checked my account and I had one called Square Trade. However, I think that is an ebay thing. I remember having ebay mediate a dispute between me and another person, and it seems that was called Square Trade? I can't remember for sure, and I couldn't find anything on square trade on ebay.

I unauthorized it at any rate.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2007
3:11 PM

Post #3198550

when hubby looked at his profile, he had something that said, paypal, another andale and earthlink something, in addition to a fourth one. He deleted all four anyway. The first three are probably legit, but likely something that can be reinstated when needed.

JoanJ as to how they got there, probably when one clicks "I agree" in those long, long, long online agreements, you give permission to goodness knows what. I hardly ever read that fine print, just click the I agree box an go about my business. Probably not a wise thing to do.
TPNursery
South Lake Tahoe, CA

June 3, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #7854971

Thank-you so much for this thread!

I found out that my Ebay account was hacked (phished).
Someone went in and created a yahoo email account back in
April 2010!

Unbelieveable!

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
1:58 AM

Post #7898585

Ha! Add me to the list! 2 unauthorized listings--and I have never tried to sell anything on ebay--just buy an occasional african violet. Thanks for the info!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #8230500

A note about ebay. It is important to link your PayPal account with your ebay account. Also check and see if there are any aoutomatic payments authorized and review those options. Both of those two steps will save you time and money.

I checked and nothing was there that was not authorized.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #8230509

From time to time, I get emails telling me to "update my account" by clicking on a link. This has happened from phony accts such as ebay, PayPal, Wells Fargo, Bank of America. In all cases I reported the phony emails to the respecting parties as well as not click on them.

Many times the emails will ask you to give them your personal info. In either case, just be sure not to click on them, and then report them to the place that they are impersonating. I let them handle it from there. Only once did I ever have a problem. Not sure how it happened. They used one of my credit cards, and I received an email from the credit card and asking me if this was my charge, while knowing it was not, I confirmed it with them. We cancelled that card, and they issued me another and I was never charged for any of it. I hope that they caught the offender, but I will never know.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America