Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Winter Sowing: winter sowing poppies question

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 6, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #3121288

As my garden is too shady for poppies, I would like to grow some annual poppies in containers to put on my terrace where they would get enough sun.
I know that poppies hate it to be transplanted, so I guess I should sow them straight away in big enough containers where they can stay.
But in what type of soil should I sow them ?
Do I use the special soil mix for sowing that is very little fertile and that might give the result of hungry poor-looking poppies or do I use normal potting soil that could give the risk of burning the young seedlings ?
Has anyone experience with this ?
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #3121771

You can wintersow in any soilless potting mix. Most WSers seem to use Miracle Grow or Pro-Mix. Some claim that the really cheap brands don't work well, but I haven't tried any of those. I've only used Miracle Grow and Pro-Mix and they were both fine.

Karen
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2007
8:50 PM

Post #3122005

Thank you Karen, but you see I live in Belgium, Europe, and I cannot get Miracle grow nor Pro-Mix over here. I suppose it must be similar to the special soil they sell over here to use for sowing and cuttings.

What I meant is that if I may not transplant the poppy-seedlings, they would have to stay in a poorly fertilized soil all their (short) lives, undernourished because special mixtures for sowing contain little or no fertilization.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #3122347

First, seedlings don't need fertilizer until they develop true leaves. Until then everything they need will be supplied by the seed leaves. If your containers are outside in the weather, chances are that much of the fertilizer in a seed starting potting mix will have leached out of a container by then. You just start adding a weak fertilizer after the seedlings have developed true leaves. It does not have to be in the potting mix.

I would recommend a good potting mix that is readily available to you. People only seem to report problems with really cheap off brand types.

Second, "who says you can't transplant poppies?" Have you read this thread?
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/687072/

Karen
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2007
10:46 PM

Post #3122455

Dear Karen, thank you so much for that link, it explains everything I had to know!

Thank you also for your patience, and I really can imagine how tyring it can be if you always have to deal with the same misconceptions, like I also had, that poppies are supposed to be unforgiving when transplanted.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2007
11:12 PM

Post #3122536

bonitin: Poppies can be unforgiving about being transplanting after they are large and/or the weather is hot. The trick is to transplant early (they are very cold hardy) before your weather is warm enough for most plants. I'm not sure when that would be in your climate, but probably way before your last frost date.

Also, they have to be small, before that big taproot becomes a problem. If you transplant when they are tiny, with only 1 or 2 sets of true leaves, they will be very tiny. Maybe only about 2 inches tall. At that point the roots are still small.

Good luck and enjoy. You will have beautiful poppies.

Karen
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #3122741

Thanks a lot! I really got it now !

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America