Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: damp off

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 28, Views: 416
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #3122063

any one have any suggestions to help my damp off problem I had last year?

I used peat pellets and lost way too many to either fungus or damp off..

should I just skip the pellets and use seed starter mix ... or would just a fan help?

Allison

:)

This message was edited Jan 25, 2007 5:10 PM

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2007
9:48 PM

Post #3122281

You want to make sure all of your supplies are sterile.
If you are reusing continers or flats let tehm soak in a 10% b;each solution for a half hour or so.

Use fresh seed starting mix.

Paul
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2007
10:13 PM

Post #3122359

Winter sown seedlings aren't subject to damping off, you may want to look into that:

http://www.wintersown.org/

This site has some info about damping off fungus that might help you, too.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1167.html

Good luck!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2007
10:57 PM

Post #3122487

or at least i thought it was damping off... the seeds started to sprout and then broke off in the middle and died

thanks for the websites
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2007
11:06 PM

Post #3122518

That sure sounds like damping off to me.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 26, 2007
1:01 PM

Post #3124145

Good important info Paul
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

January 27, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #3126538

Those little pellets are fungus factories as far as I'm concerned. I really dislike them.

Paul is right, if you are reusing pots, disinfect them first, and start with new seed starting mix.

I've had problems with damping off when I start seeds indoors. Bottom watering helps,(put the water the the tray you have the pots in and let the water soak up into the soil through the holes in the bottom of the pots). This also promotes the plant's roots to dig deeper.

A fan on low also helps. It will help keep the surface from staying too damp, and it will help strengthen the plant's stem.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2007
5:03 AM

Post #3127211

anyone ever try using the pots made from newspaper?... just wondering if that is a good thing or not

thanks for the advice all... hopefully this year will go better

:)

when do you set the fan up... right away at time of sowing or when the seedlings start?
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

January 27, 2007
6:10 AM

Post #3127261

[quote]or at least i thought it was damping off... the seeds started to sprout and then broke off in the middle and died[/quote]

Don't they even start to grow? Did they do this right after they sprouted or after they were an inch or so tall?

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2007
12:30 PM

Post #3127495

I've tried the newspaper pots but didn't care for them.
They seem to fall apart too often.

Paul

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2007
1:07 PM

Post #3127602

Joan right after sprouting... i would say most of them were less than half an inch... I was all happy they started and a few days later... gone
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

January 27, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #3128494

Then I would make sure you are using seed starting soil, rather than potting soil. I usually don't start running the fan until they are up about an inch, but as long as you make sure they stay evenly moist, I don't see any reason you can't start running the fan right away.

I also don't like those trays that have the lids on them. I feel that they keep too much moisture in, and allow virtually no fair flow, which contributes to the fungus growth/spread.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2007
9:40 PM

Post #3129063

Allison,
Some really great info can be found at the Tom Clothier site on this page http://tomclothier.hort.net/page13.html There is lots of other great info on the TC site also.

To avoid damp off for my indoor started seeds I do a few of the things listed on the TC page I linked to. I water w/ Chamomile Tea occasionally, I top w/ ground cinnamon and/or chick grit and always, always have a fan running in the room. Doing these few things has dropped my damp off rate dramatically from previous years. Both cinnamon and chamomile are natural anti-fungals and will prevent damping off.

I don't ever use chemicals when I'm starting seeds. I try to stay as close to organic as I can in my gardening. Thankfully, I've never, ever needed to use chemicals since adopting these easy techniques.

Hope that helps!
Heather
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 27, 2007
11:21 PM

Post #3129315

onewish a lot of people use the peper pots. People on the seed forum were talking about how they have been making them !

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2007
2:00 AM

Post #3129776

Paper pots are fine...I just don't have the time to make them. Damp off is fungal and it's most important to use sterile seed starting mix. Nothing else will do. The anti fungals mentioned are quite useful, but the top of the soil shouldn't stay wet...dead (literally) giveaway for damp-off. Bottom water and don't overdo it.

I hate peat anything...refuse to use it...just a set-up for troubles.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2007
4:12 AM

Post #3130186

wow what great advice... thank you very much everyone... hopefully this year will go a bit better
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
5:12 PM

Post #3138725

thanks for all this help...I am guilty of not knowing what to do when half the tray is germinated and half has not...
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3139561

If you're using cells you can cut them apart and remove the ones that have germinated. That's what I usually do. You may not want to cut them apart though. At this point all of my cells are cut into 6 packs...makes it easier to clean them too.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #3139571

I have always used bio dome sponges but no more because of this problem...I have some 38? packs and ordered the 72 cell packs today...bio domes and sponges are great for very expensive seeds, but not for regular ones..thanks for the help
gail
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #3157981

It is definitely damping off. I worked in one of the bigbox hardware stores and in many gardencentres in southern Ontario and there is a product available in Canada called No-damp. It is about 1 or 2 Oz. liquid that you mix with water and water your seedlings with it. Check at Lowe's, home depot, or even Meijers may sell it. Or your neighbourhood garden centre. If they have knowlegable staff, they will know if it is available or something comparable. This is a Canadian website that you can order it from. Make sure they will send it to the US as it is a pesticide. http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/search?keywords=no+damp

This message was edited Feb 4, 2007 9:32 PM

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #3158292

I think I am going to try the Chamomile Tea first... I read quite a few sites and had advice from other dg members... I also picked up some food grade peroxide... I am going to try both and see what works out
2zeus

(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2007
6:40 PM

Post #3160365

onewish1, last year I used the NO-Damp solution to deal with the slight mold bloom I had on the surface of the pots of my daylily seedlings each time I watered and fertilised - this year, I'm using a solution of chamomile tea - it works like a charm, I have it in a spray bottle, and if I see it starting, just spray, and it kills it instantly - and no hideous chemicals, which is why I wanted an alternative to the NO-Damp.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2007
8:49 PM

Post #3160750

sounds good to me... thanks 2xeus
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #3170230

I never knew that about camomile tea. That is so cool. A sip for me, and a sip for the babies...
I'm glad I checked this out. Cheaper and less toxic than the No-damp.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 10, 2007
7:50 AM

Post #3174371

I start lots and lots of seeds every spring under lights in my basement. I buy 3.8cf. bags of starter mix, and I sterilize it in turkey roast bags in the oven. I wash all containers with soapy bleach water, and I put the starter trays in flats with domed lids under lights. For those seeds that are very tiny, I mix them with a little sterilzed coarse sand and surface sow them.

I mist the surface of the trays and the inside of the domed lids with a spray bottle of clean water. When the seeds start to sprout, I take off the dome lid and start to water them under the trays.

I believe another contributing factor in dampening off is planting the seeds too densely. All those tight little plants can't get air. Lobelia is usually the one I have to watch closely. I, too, have watered with chamomile tea when necessary, and I always isolate any trays that seem to be having a problem.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #3221786

Allison,

Try Physan. Here they are http://www.physan.com/PAGES/C_G_G.html

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2007
3:37 AM

Post #3222293

This message was edited Feb 28, 2007 5:06 PM

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2007
3:56 AM

Post #3225698

thanks for the link dale... your picture makes me pout... the deer ate all my kale

:(
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2007
10:35 PM

Post #3232067

Like the deer I eat them too. But, I am smarter than the deer, I eat them slowly.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America