Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Winter Sowing: Help!

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 6, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #3125978

Okay, my nasturtiums were growing like gangbusters in their WS containers- today, the big main leaves have drooped all down and a new little leaf is in the middle peeking out. I've never grown nasturtiums before, so are they supposed to do this? Like cotyledon leaves or something? Or, shall I snag them and pot them up as they are nearly as tall as the soda bottle tops!

Soil is damp, no mold or anything on the surface, and the roots look good. They just ...collapsed.

:(

~Sunny
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2007
2:07 AM

Post #3126874

Sunny: You can pot them up if you want to. I didn't do anything special with my Nasties from last year, however mine were grown in a milk jug. I just planted them out as a h.o.s.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2007
11:15 AM

Post #3127381

And are they in full sun? I'd put them in the shade if they're stressed for some reason.

Karen
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2007
11:20 AM

Post #3130485

When did you sow them Sunny? What did you sow them in?
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2007
4:02 PM

Post #3131241

I sowed them 12/22 - in a 2 liter soda bottle (like most of my others) They grew extremely tall, several of the sprouts. There is no top on the bottle and it has side air vents and bottom drainage vents.

On another note, our garage door malfunctioned two nights ago and I lost all of my begonias that were brought inside for the overnight freezing temps :(

~Sunny
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2007
8:02 PM

Post #3132047

Were the nasties subjected to the freezing temperatures that night, too? You mentioned that they had grown "like gangbusters". Could the leaves have been in contact with the sides of the container? That will give them frost bite and maybe lose those leaves.

Karen
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2007
3:32 AM

Post #3133608

You know, that may be the key Karen. The leaves looked just like they melted, the same as my begonia leaves. Hmmm. I think I'll watch them in a protected area for a few days and see if the middle leaves continue to grow - if so I'll just pull those larger ones out and let the little ones continue to grow. I'll have to remember that going forward, to plant things more towards the center of the soda container, rather than the external ring like I did with these.

Thanks you guys, for the help!

~Sunny

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America