ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi everybody,

I wanted to get some conversation going about the 2007 ORV Spring Swap so I know what to expect. There is going to be one, right? Defoecat was talking about it in another forum.

I was wondering about the spring swap, specifically if extra wintersown seedlings from a spring 2007 sowing are swapped or if they're too little. -- I sort of wanted to know whether I should sow more seeds than I need, or not. (I don't want to devote the space to growing them on for a later swap.)

What other things are swapped? I want to come prepared!

Have any dates or places been determined? I also want to keep an eye on it and put it on my thread watcher.

Sorry for all the questions,
Thanks for any answers,
Suzy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Suzy,

I want you to know I am not ignoring your post here. I'm thinking. I don't think anyone has set a date or location yet but the thought has been tossed out there. How far are you from Cincinnati?

Michele

Thnaks, Michele,

I'm 2 hours from Cinty and 3 hours from Columbus. Wiskerchin (Wyczykerchin? LOL I don't know how to spell it, just say it) is 2/12 hours, as is Dayton.

Don't discount Columbus because it's father away. I am happy to go to Columbus -- isn't there an outlet mall to the souheast? Kinda kill 2 birds with one stone.

I am happy to go anywhere...what about the baby WS seedlings? Are they tradeable?

Suzy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi!

Anything you would want to bring would be acceptable! Most of the time, we offer some stuff up front to line up a few trades. Let's face it, we don't get together all that often and we might as well skip the postage.

Last year there were mature hostas, ornamental grasses, aroids/elephant ears, seedlings, some bulbs, seeds, sun coleus and lots of nice door prices, plant and otherwise!

So you many not want to drag a whole flat of something special with you unless you prearrange trades or want to give away a surplus. Most of us don't want to take anything back home so we force it on a newbie. LOL

Some have mentioned doing a drawing system where everyone takes a turn picking from a table of plants, then a second turn, etc until plants are gone. I wouldn't mind that but I like prearranging trades then using the extra plants for other things or for people that are newer to gardening.

I'm just one person with one opinion. :)

Where are the rest of ya??

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Hello and Welcome Illoquin!! Last year was my first RU.. I didn't prearrange any swaps.. wellI guess a couple people wanted my prickly pear cactus.. But I forced the extra on soft hearted people and had several plants "forced" on me.. I took home much more than I brought! I had prearranged some tomato swaps.. or since i didn't give them anything I guess they were out and out gifts?>?? except Ric got some cacti. :)
ok..I am apparently babbling.. that's what happens when your brain is drained! I hail from Kokomo and am in that area a lot so wanted to greet a fellow hoosier and say that if you come we'ld be glad to have ya!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Suzy-- Will you be going alone or taking the family with you? I would like to go and would gladly "carpool" with anyone going that way. Lou

Dispatcher,

I have no idea....let me ask around and see who (if anybody) wants to go and let you know. A lot will depend on where it is. (Cinty or Columbus area).

Badseed & Jazz,

I'm sure I answered this the day you both posted, but I can see I might have written it but never sent it. Thanks for the welcome and the heads up on pre-arranged trades. At this point all I can trade is some snow covered jugs with a very promising label inside. LOL! I'd better not count my chickens until they're hatached -- literally. I will have some baby lilium bulbs, but that's all I know for sure. Some will probably be Martagons which are pretty pricey, but it will be years before they bloom.

I have some experience on running a swap with numbers like you're talking about, Badseed. Everybody gets a number -- that's easy, but you call the numbers in groups, maybe groups of four for a gathering this size -- of what I imagine to be this size -- calling numbers randomly from premade cards marked: 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, etc. (We usually divide the expected group number by 5 or 6 to come up with the numbers on the cards) It goes 4x faster, or people can have 4x as long to choose, depending on the circumstances. It's not only jollier to be able to chat with someone else who is picking at the same time, you also have someone to ask questions -- What do you think about this?
What *is* this? LOL!

In the beginning, most everybody goes up, even if it's just to make sure they aren't missing anything, but as the rounds continue, the veterans mostly stay back chatting or going up for seconds at the food table. Usually the 'most veteran of the veterans' is the one calling numbers because they already know they don't want anything.

Suzy

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I would love to come. Columbus is 2.5 hrs from me and Cincy is 3.5 hrs. Of course I would prefer Columbus but Cincy isn't that much farther :~) Worth the drive I'm sure!

Lana

Columbus -- on the way to WV, I believe, also has a nice outlet mall. It's SW of Columbus.

Suzy

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

:~) Gotta love the outlet malls!

Lana

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Ill., the big Prime Outlets Mall is near Jeffersonville, Ohio, on Interstate 71 between Cincy and Columbus. Is that the one you are talking about?

http://www.primeoutlets.com/centerinfo.asp?cntrId=1029

Some good stores there.

I would be happy to drive anywhere for the RU. How about some neat place in West Virginia? Or Kentucky. Or Dayton (Cox Arboretum) There are so many scenic choices....

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I wondered why nobody was discussing the RU on the ORVG daily thread. It's cause everybody is here. I am up for just about any location. Cincinnati is great, I can do Columbus, farther away means an overnighter, but I can do that too. I am marking this thread to watch,

May I suggest, Butler Park in Carrollton, Ky. It has good sites, and I could find out about the prices etc. Don't want to be "in charge" but will be willing to look at locations that may be suitable.

Athens, OH

I am game for going almost anywhere. If we head towards Kentucky, I will definitely plan to visit BWilliams and his aroids nursery!

ROX

rox, where is that?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Brian's place is in Louisville, and is well worth a visit! Lots of fun and different plants, very reasonable prices, and cool display gardens and greenhouse. He's also completed his living wall in the tropical house and I'm looking forward to seeing it; there are great pics of it in the Tropicals forum.

Here's a link:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/682066/

This message was edited Feb 12, 2007 7:35 AM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Howie and I are just east of Columbus and can come down south with no problem. We're about 2.5 hours away from Cincy, so we'd probably stay overnight somewhere after the roundup and head home the next day.

gemini, I knew that, my brain was on vacation when I asked that question. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

For those of you who don't know KY well Carrollton is between Cincy and Louisville on Interstate 71.
Maybe an hour from here.

Ric

Just somebody give me a sign, and I will start some conversations with the park people. However, I am flexible, and can head north just as well.

For all you DL addicts, there are some fabulous daylily gardens that could be visited the next day. I could even arrange some tours, if you are interested. There is one in Finchville, one in Waddy, Cropper, and Georgetown. So that would make a full day of touring some beautiful gardens. Just thought I would throw that in, as an enticement.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Carrollton sounds like a good central location, and a daylily farm tour sounds like great fun!

Okay, since I will be gone from Thursday till Sunday, I will start the telephone calls sometime the first of next week. I will get some prices for some shelters at Butler Park, and will start to call to see when it will be convenient to look at the daylily places.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'll have to look Carrollton up on the map. Who is coming from the other side of there or a few hours east or west?

Okay, I did look. That would be about 100 miles, 2 hours from me. That would prevent me from coming back a second day and I'm not sure about lodging there. I'd probably have to get two hotel rooms and bring extra clothes which would mean no room for plants. There is no way around me bringing all 6 kids and chances are likely that hubby will be working.

Peak bloom at the daylily gardens should be June-July.

Okay, don't want to make it too difficult for anyone. Anybody else have suggestions? Ric, is there a park in Cincy that would be more centrally located?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't mean to be a PITA. I just have to be realistic. I normally bring a trunk full of plants and a car full of kids. LOL

You are not being a PITA, with 6 kids, traveling must be a nightmare, and we want you to be a happy camper when you arrive, not stressed.

So let's get some other ideas tossed into this ring.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If the majority can do KY, then by all means go ahead. I will make it if I can or possibly come one day or the other. I could probably have hubby take off one day or the other to drive separately or stay home with the kids, but would hate to give up 2 days at time and a half. LOL Our other issue would be the critters at home. They kind of like eating and going potty. ;)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

There are tons of Parks here.
In fact two years ago Woodland Mound Park was the original site choosen.
Weather knocked us over to Tobasco's house.

Hmmm... if Chele's house hasn't sold maybe we could rent it for the weekend................

Ric

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Ric! I almost posted that I have a 3 bedroom house sitting empty. There is one minor problem. It is not furnished! All the appliances are there though and two full baths. It is supposed to be listed next week. I've not heard a date for the Round Up but if my prayers are answered the house will be sold really fast and way before any date you guys come up with!

Could you just see 20 people piled up, air mattresses, bags and suitcases of clothes, plants piled all over the yard and the real estate agent needing to show it??

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Didn't Peggy mention a park last year that is south of Maysville? That would be a lot closer for Chele. Have you even set a date yet? That is going to determine whether I'm even allowed to make suggestions. LOL
Was there a problem with last year's park? I thought everyone had a good time... and they did put in a huge playground this year, AND all the bridges are open on 52. LOL

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I loved the Park last year.
Pick a spot I'm there...

Ric

LOL Ric, do it after Memorial Day, and I could be there, just waay too much going on here with her graduation before.

I guess we could do a Graduation Roundup. We'll have a pig on the pit and lots of cake. LOL

But, then if there is anyone like me with new people phobia, that would exclude that, then again, maybe I'm the only person in the world with new people phobia.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

If you book it, they will come. ;)

This message was edited Feb 13, 2007 4:48 PM

|I think last years round up site was nice The only thing, was it was chilly, but it was the first Saturday in May. So if we planned it a little later, so it would be warmer, I think it is a good venue.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

And the daylily farms will be in bloom later :)

Parkersburg, WV(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone. I've been lurking and watching this thread...'cause I hope to come to the RU/swap. Has anyone made any decision yet about where and when? I could go just about anywhere...of all the places mentioned, Columbus is probably the closest for me, but I don't care where it is, or when it is--I just want to come!

no reason that 2 or even 3 can't happen...a spring, early summer and fall. :)

I vote for a later spring one. Just as long as the weather requires no jackets!!

I'm counting chickens before they hatch, but.....

If anybody wants to take a look at my DG Journal and see what I'm wintersowing, I'm pretty sure I'll have extras of everything (that germinates and grows.) LOL!

I can bring it for a trade or just bring it if you don't want to trade anything.

Suzy

Last year we did it May 6, and it was pretty chilly. This year it might be sweltering the first weekend in May, who knows with our crazy weather. Purely selfish reasons, what about June 2, the first Saturday in June? If that's not good, that is fine too, just thought I'd throw a date out there.

Hey Melissa, that is good with me, I have pencil poised to write in that date on my calendar. Now just get others on this band wagon!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.