Photo by Melody

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Anyone know it's name??

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 23, Views: 181
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2007
2:07 PM

Post #3127830

This was early morning and it was under shade so the picture isn't too good but maybe you will see enough detail to identify it. It's sitting on a holder for a 6 inch pot and it's bigger than a robin.

Thank you ever so much.

Judy

PS Woodpeckers were here a week ago, but now the cardinal and bluejay have moved in and the woodpeckers are no where to be found. Were they run off by the more aggressive birds.

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Click the image for an enlarged view.

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #3127924

Looks like a Brown Thrasher ...
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 27, 2007
2:48 PM

Post #3127952

Looks like a Brown Thrasher to me.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #3128075

Definitely.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2007
3:29 PM

Post #3128078

also think thrasher, but you know that by now!
I have a couple blue jays here this year, and same several cardinals as usual, but the same woodpeckers too, they don't seem to be bothered.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2007 11:29 AM
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #3128134

Thank you, Thank You.

Encouraged by your responses, I was able to find an Internet picture of one with a bill that was as long, that was the sticky point with me, such a long bill and it appeared to be longer than the Brown Thrasher pictures I had seen before. I think I was trying tooooooo hard.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Judy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3128146

I have brown thrashers and they are big birds...look like a mocking bird. Is that one puffed up. My brown thrashers dont seem to have such a wren face. Maybe it is the angle
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3128232

gardenglory

Puffed up - yep, it was 31F. It was patiently waiting for the cats to finish eating their turkey hopeful of getting some leftovers. It also eats purina puppy chow out of the dog bowls.

Is it possible that it is an female thrasher about to lay eggs?

Judy
portland
moving to Prescott, AZ

January 27, 2007
5:08 PM

Post #3128376

Do you mean, like, pregnant? lol
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #3128537

if its eatting puppy chow..thats thrasher size. I have no idea why I like my thrasher so much, the memebers of household hear me regularly calling...brown thrasher-brown thrasher. Its silly really, but i do it everytime.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2007
6:33 PM

Post #3128583

portland

Yes pregnant, but I was unsure how to phrase it when talking about birds, maybe "with eggs". lol lol The word pregnant sounds so "human" to me.

Judy
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2007
6:37 PM

Post #3128591

I've been trying to get a picture of a bird which goes up and down trees like a woodpecker but it's black on the top and white speckled on the under part ... I think I've only just started seeing it.

Someone tell me the term to use for a bird who is about to deliver a clutch.

Happy Watching...

Judy
portland
moving to Prescott, AZ

January 27, 2007
7:05 PM

Post #3128673

judy,
A bird can only produce one egg in a 24-hour period.
lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2007
7:09 PM

Post #3128686

I don't think any wild birds would be about to lay eggs at this time of year in Tn. - the babies would die from the cold. But they do puff their feathers up for better insuulation when the weather gets cold kind of like this goldfinch is doing.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #3128732

[quote]I don't think any wild birds would be about to lay eggs at this time of year in Tn. - the babies would die from the cold[/quote]

Overall, I'd agree, and it would apply to Brown Thrasher - but there is a small handful of exceptions of birds that would be about to lay eggs at this time of year: Red Crossbill, Common Raven, and also (with a reliable food source) House Sparrow and Collared Dove, will all lay in January.

Resin
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2007
8:10 PM

Post #3128845

LOL They produce the eggs one at a time over days!! Oh My, I learn something new everyday. So I guess that leaves out the term "with eggs". I figured since they only laid 2-3 eggs that they would all be growing at the same time. lol lol You all are giving me a wonderful education on birds.

We keep food out for them all the time. I have bowls of wild bird seeds and an extra bowl of puppy chow or cat food sitting on a tall bench. The cats eat, move on out, then the birds come in to eat. They also perch to wait for the dogs to leave their pan of food. When the woodpeckers are with "young" they will deman I give them softened puppy chow for the young ones. If we don't they will get on a low limb of a tree close to our path and talk to us. If we don't pay attention to them, they will pursue us by flying tree to tree down low so we can't help but notice.

Something I didn't know before this week was, bluejays love raw peanuts in a shell. I had bought a 5 lb bag that had some kinds of tiny moth like creatures in them and it was obvious they had laid eggs in the shells. I put the peanuts in a pile outside about 10 feet from the porch so I could see what ate them. It wasn't 20 minutes before the Bluejays were fighting off all of the larger birds. I wondered if they would eat the peanut and use the shells to line their nest.

Judy

This message was edited Jan 27, 2007 3:41 PM

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #3128864

Judy - I think the bird that is going up and down the tree is some kind of nuthatch. We have white-breasted nuthatches here. They are the only birds to go down the tree as well as up. Becky
Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

January 27, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #3128871

Quoted:
" I don't think any wild birds would be about to lay eggs at this time of year in Tn. - the babies would die from the cold. "

The Great Horned Owls nest in February, as far north as Canada and Alaska! There are exceptions. A few years ago a pair of Great Horned Owls nested above the cross-country ski trail in a local park. They were dive bombing skiers so regularly, in defense of the nest, that warnings were posted, on the news media.
lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #3128921

Wow, you do learn something new here all the time - I stand corrected!

beclu, I was thinking nuthatch at first too but I can't figure out the "speckeled underneath" part.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2007
8:57 PM

Post #3128967

beclu727

You are exactly right, white-breasted nuthatches!!! That is what I've been seeing but by the time I've laid my hands on the camera they were gone.

Grasmussen - re: Owls - as far as I know there is only one pair in the immediate area and they just came last year. I've never seen them, but hear them at times calling to each other. I sure wouldn't want one dive bombing at me.

gardenglory - I'll have to make sure DH doesn't read your posting, he's already making bird and cat sounds, plus he interacts with the deer. I have to keep reminding him if they become to friendly they will be easy prey for hunters or wild animals.

Resin - thanks for you input, we have all sorts of small birds eating with us. I'll have to compile a list.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post.

Judy, who is actually afraid of birds, thanks to a mama Bluejay protecting her nest which she built in a tree shading our path into the school yard, way back when.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2007
8:59 PM

Post #3128972

lilyfantn

Here I go thinking again, I thought perhaps it was because they were puffed up against the cold so I was seeing down into the feathers. They like a particular tree which is right in front of the house but I've only seen them 3 times and that has just been within the last week.

Judy

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3129730

http://whatbird.wildbird.com/obj/362/_/target.aspx
if it worked there's a link to the nuthatch song. It's a funny thing, to me sounds like a little goose honking.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 28, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #3129737

First part sounds like a very weird laugh. :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #3129779

I guess I take weird laughs in stride around here , ha ha. have only noticed the second part.. But I am so glad to know the nuthatch and some others are around even if I haven''t seen them, because I hear them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America