Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Movies you could watch again...and again

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

I watched Catch Me If You Can with Tom Hanks and Leo Dicaprio for the 3rd time tonight. I just love love love incredibly smart movies and shows like this. It is especially refreshing to see movies about real people so Hollywood doesn't have to work so hard trying to just make remakes of old ideas.

Link to the actual character portrayed in the movie: http://www.abagnale.com/index2.asp

For good humor and clean romance I think The Princess Bride wins, hands down. I must have seen this movie 30 times since I was a kid!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I saw your post and the first movie that came to mind was one I loved called Avalon. Must've come out in the early 90s maybe? Wonderful story, but I always cry when I watch it. I bet I've seen it a dozen times - always cry.
Deb

Do you remember any actors from it? Was it based on truth? Love story? Comedy?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh, sorry-shoud have said. Fiction. It was Armen Mueller-Stahl (sp?) and Aiden Quinn and a bunch of others. Family saga kind of thing. Kid remembering the stories his grandfather told him about how he and his brothers came to America, to Baltimore. Alot of it is very funny.
Deb

Sounds similar to Second-Hand Lions? That was a good one to!

Hard to believe but the only movie to make me cry was the latest version of King Kong...of course I was prego at the time so hormones were whacked, lol....but oh how I cried as he hangs off the bldg in the end!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

U have a very good excuse! However, I don't, and I cry at the weirdest things. The other night I cried at the end of a "Dr. Who" episode. ((Just between u and me and the internet.)) So embarrassing.

I should check out Second Hand Lions. I think it's on "free" cable, now. :)

Deb
PS/Most of the others that come to mind as ones I can watch over and over are pretty "vintage" stuff. Like,...mmm... Rear Window (suspense..Hitchcock), and ...mmm...Mame (comedy, not the musical version).

This message was edited Jan 27, 2007 11:57 PM

free cable...is that network tv?

yes yes second hand lions is a VERY GOOD clean cut movie.

Morpeth, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

One I watch over and over is Vertigo. Love it. I also watch Casablanca, Miller's Crossing, The Philadelphia Story, Singin' In The Rain, Aliens and The Exorcist pretty regularly.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Singin' In The Rain! Classic! Love that one. :)

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Oddly enough, to some, mine is Almost Famous. Before that it was Happy Gilmore. lol

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

My all time favorite movie is The Color Purple. I could watch it again and again, but it is really long, so I don't. ;o)

I also really liked Catch Me If You Can.....and just about anything else with Tom Hanks in it.....except for Joe Versus the Volcano...I just couldn't sit through that one.

Loved The Princess Bride and Second Hand Lions!

I just watched The Lake House last night and is excellent!....but then I'm a hopeless romantic. I really loved The Notebook too!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Gosh, there are a lot I'll sit and watch part of if they're on. In no real particular order, they're all some of my favorites. I'm beginning to see a theme here, so just about anything with Robin Williams or Gene Hackman. :)

Dirty Dancing
Good Morning Viet Nam
Heartbreak Ridge
Fried Green Tomatoes
Mr. Holland's Opus
Dead Poets Society
Patch Adams
Grumpy Old Men
The Birdcage
Mrs. Doubtfire
Mississippi Burning
Hoosiers

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, My Fair Lady, Layer Cake, Lions of Winter (orginal version) LadyHawke, Clerks

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes! My Fair Lady. Another I just love is My Favorite Year with Peter O'Toole. Very funny.

..and speaking of P. O'Toole, I could also watch Lawrence of Arabia over and over, except that as MGH said bout her fave, it's too long. I do watch it from time to time.

Deb

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Melissa, great list! We just watched Patch Adams recently. I'm putting The Birdcage on my list to rent!

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Cyrano de Bergerac with Jose Ferrar

Thomson, GA

I think DH and I have watched Tombstone at least 30 times. I am a big Val Kilmer fan, and I think that was his very best role as Doc Holiday. I saw Dead Man Walking for the first time last week and I was stunned by the performances; very moving. Field of Dreams is another that we will watch again and again. And even DH likes a good cry in Steel Magnolias! Oh and how could I forget Pretty Woman!

I've not seen many of the classics but loved Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady....it's the only thing I've seen her in but it sure was a good film!

I've not been able to sit all through Gone With the Wind yet.

mgh: sounds like we have the same tastes!

konkrete, I've not seen Almost Famous. But since you like it that well I am going to check it out!

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

TNN, it's not for everyone, but I loved it. I like it because I love music and have friends in bands.

Most of my CD collection is movie sdtks for the variety!

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I used to adore scary movies. The scarier, the better. I read somewhere that an important reason why people liked scary movies was because in their deep subconscious, they didn't believe the plot/storyline was feasible or probable. (how many people have monsters coming out of their belly a la "Alien"?). Fantasy to people that watch these movies is safe; reality isn't.

However, today's scary movies seem a lot more realistic to me so I no longer watch anything that scares me, makes me cry or angry. Funny, romantic or inspiring is all that's of interest to me. A little suspense can be fun also.

Back to faves: any James Bond movie with R. Moore or S Connery
Clint Eastwood anything
Audrey Hepburn anything
Wm. Holden anything
Meet Joe Black (Brad Pitt in remake of Death takes a Holiday)
Dirty Dancing
Terms of Endearment
Empire Strikes Back
The Commitments
Bend It like Beckham
The Full Monty

Can't count how many times I've watched those. DH teases me saying I don't rewatch them because I like them, but because I forget them so they're like "new movies" to me. He's silly.

I really liked Little Miss Sunshine. If you haven't seen it, go to the show and enjoy yourself with this one. I hope it wins something at the Oscars this year.

voss,

I have a terrible memory and can re-watch movies like Harry Potter and still say, "What's he gonna do now?" LOL! But movies that I've seen more than I can count on my hands (like The Princess Bride) I can narrate along with them. =)

Too funny, Tir!! My DH and I can narrate along with that one too!

Mawridge....mawridge is what briinggs us togevar today. =) LOVE IT!!!!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

To Kill a Mockingbird (Gregory Peck - anything). :)

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

ahh I love to Kill a Mockingbird....

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

ahh I love to Kill a Mockingbird....

Napoleon Dynamite and Shrek I and II

I've seen all three more times than I have fingers. They always make me laugh. =)

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

You have to watch Napoleon Dynamite more than once to really appreciate it. The first time I kept thinking "this is SO stupid!" but then I laughed later.

Another movie I remembered last night that I like is Swing Kids.

Good point konkrete about Napoleon. When we rented it I almost couldn't make it to the end. It ended and we said, "Goll that was so dumb!" Then the next day I caught DH watching it again. He said there must be something we missed. ROFLOL because it's given us tons of laughs since then!!!

One weird thing I noticed is I was thinking the movie was set back in the day, right....but then Kip is playing on the internet...so it can't be....but gotta love that 80's music at their school dance! EW!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

My list is a bit chick-flicky:

Practical Magic
Steel Magnolias
Love, Actually
Chicago
Moulin Rogue
When Harry Met Sally
French Kiss
The Birdcage

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I LOVE "To Kill A Mockingbird"! One of my all time favorites.

Other favorites are:
"Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid"
"Dances With Wolves"
"Doctor Zhivago"
"Gone With The Wind"
"Lawrence of Arabia"
"North By Northwest"
"The Graduate"
"The Sound of Music"
"West Side Story"

Thornton, IL

In no particular order:

Meet Joe Black
Wedding Singer
Legends of the Fall (Pitt and Hopkins again, TKO cast)
The Edge
Housesitter (practically anything with Steve Martin)
Witches (with Anjelica Huston, delicious children's scarey movie)
Friday (only the first one, the rest are NOT funny)
The Terminator (plus the sequel, even T3 isn't bad)
BIG Drew Barrymore fan, so anything she's in, except ET (once every other year is plenty, LOL)
Napolean Dynamite
Donnie Darko
The Good Girl
It's a Wonderful Life (mandatory at Christmas)
Bad Santa (ditto)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Matchstick Men

Oh, I LOVE Ferris Bueller's Day Off!!

Thornton, IL

mgh - OT question. Did you (or anyone here) ever catch the game show "Win Ben Stein's Money"? It was the guy who takes attendance in that monotone voice, very dry, ribald humor. Co-hosted by Jimmy Kimmel.

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

The Bridges of Madison County
Somewhere In Time
Paint Your Wagons
Nicholas and Alexandrea
Miss Congeniality
Tremors, 1 2 and 3
Beautiful To Look At (from late 50's and beautiful gowns)
The Unsinkable Molly Brown
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
The Harvey Girls
Oklahoma
Almost anything with Gene Kelly or Judy Garland
Topper
Down Periscope
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way But Loose
and last but not least - Full Metal Jacket

My husbands favorites - anything with John Wayne

I never saw "Win Ben Stein's Money", but I know who Ben Stein is. "Anyone, anyone, anyone??" ;o)

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

Forgot to add:

Grease and Grease 2

I miss Ben Stein's Clear Eyes commercials. "Clear Eyes is awwwesome." LOL!

LC2: Grease 2 was actually good huh? I've never seen it and never heard anyone mention it! I was going to order the Grease 1 from Amazon...they have the special edition folks for like 11 bucks...the one with the faux leather jacket cover. SWEET. It's 45% off and cheaper than at Walmart.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

The Money Pit (Tom Hanks), makes me laugh every time. "We have a small problem in the kitchen. Nothing trivial."

If you're a home owner, it's very funny.

Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.