Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Daturas: planting vegetables near daturas

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 5, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
luckysue
Columbus, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2007
3:02 PM

Post #3131019

Since daturas are very toxic, I'm wondering how far daturas must be from vegetables. Are the datura roots toxic if they are in contact with veggie roots, or are the flowers alone toxic? Thanks!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #3131167

The general consensus is you should not plant datura next to consumables. Datura is in the same family as Tomatoes and Potatoes, Solanaceae. I have never heard of anyone becoming sick from vegetables growing next or near them and have done extensive research considering your question. On the other hand, honey produced near Brugmansia and Datura has been found to contain the 3 primary drugs found in Datura and Brugmansia.

All parts of Datura/Brugmansia are poisonous. Roots, stems, leaves, flowers and seeds. They contain the drugs atropine, scopolamine, and hyoscyamine in varying concentrations.

X
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3180080

I have never given Honey a thought. The man down the road keeps bees and I do buy his Honey. My yard is full to the brim with Brugs and Datura. Just how much of the toxins come thru in the honey? I have never noticed any strange affects but then I have no Idea what effect those drugs have on the body. Have there been any studys on this? Very curious now...
Caren
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2007
2:47 AM

Post #3180287

This is what Wiki had to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bees_and_toxic_chemicals

Toxic honey

Some substances which are toxic to humans have no effect on bees. If bees obtain their nectar from certain flowers, the resulting honey can be psychoactive, or even toxic to humans, but innocuous to bees and bee larvae.[35]

There have been famous episodes of inebriation of humans from consuming toxic honey throughout history. Xenophon, Aristotle, Strabo, Pliny the Elder and Columella all document the results of eating "maddening" honey.[36] Honey from these plants poisoned Roman troops in the first century BCE under Pompey the Great when they were attacking the Heptakometes in Turkey. The soldiers were delirious and vomiting after eating the toxic honey. The Romans were easily defeated.[37][38]
Rhododendron ponticum
Rhododendron ponticum

For example, honey produced from nectar of Rhododendron ponticum and Azalea pontica contain alkaloids that are poisonous to humans but do not harm bees. Honey produced from the nectar of andromeda flowers contains grayanotoxins which can paralyze the limbs, and eventually the diaphragm and result in death.[39] Honey obtained from Kalmia latifolia, the calico bush, mountain laurel or spoon-wood of the northern United States, and allied species such as sheep laurel (Kalmia angustifolia) can produce sickness or even death.[40] The nectar of the "wharangi bush", the Melicope ternata in New Zealand also produces toxic honey, and this has been fatal.[41] The dangers of toxic honey were also well-known among the Pre-Columbian residents of the Yucutan Peninsula, though this was honey produced by stingless bees, not by honey bees, which are not native to the Americas.[42] Bee nectar collection from Datura plants in Mexico and Hungary, belladonna flowers, henbane (Hyoscamus niger) plants from Hungary, Serjania lethalis from Brazil and Gelsemium sempervirens from the American Southwest can all result in toxic honey.[43]

X
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2007
3:19 AM

Post #3180351

The most common symptoms of datura/brugmansia poisoning are blurred vision, agitation, pupil dilation, dry mouth and mild headaches. People react differently to the drugs and the dosage. Datura/brug poisoning usually occurs when you are cutting branches, pulling leaves or harvesting seeds. What happens is that you have cuts on your hands or fingers or touch your face or eat something. That is why it is important to always wash your hands after working with dats or brugs or wear gloves if you have cuts on your hands. Most people do not associate dat/brug poisoning with the above symptoms because they are mild and short lived. When I have been poisoned, its usually after harvesting datura seeds. I get the blurred vision and agitation. Rarely are the symptoms severe enough to require a hospital visit, but if they are severe enough, it is very important that you tell the nurse or physician that you have been handling datura or brugmansia.

X
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2007
5:04 AM

Post #3203953

Fascinating and important. Thanks. Xeramtheum, for the heads up. I would never have thought of it if you hadn't made a point of mentioning it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America