Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Daturas: Aphids and lost leaves

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 10, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sheshe5245
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #3131369

I love my Datura, I only have three, a double purple, a double yellow and a white one. I have a terrible problem with aphids on them. The plants are still quite young, I received them at a Round up, but they have all bloomed, however, the leaves have fallen off the lower part of the plant and they look very leggy. I have been treating them for the aphids with a home made mixture that I got here at Dave's. I don't think it is the mixture, since I use it on other plants that are fine. Is it due to the winter, or are they ill? They just bloomed for me last week, one bloom on each plant. I did not get seed pods though. Any advice would be appreciated :0)
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2007
4:41 PM

Post #3131405

When all else fails I use Sevin Dust.

X
sheshe5245
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2007
4:55 PM

Post #3131444

Thank you, I have never heard of that! I'll look it up. Do you think the aphid problem is the reason they have so few leaves left?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #3131570

most likely and the sevin will take care of pretty much everything.

X
sheshe5245
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #3131581

Thanks very much :0)
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2007
4:00 PM

Post #3184773

Xeramtheum is exactly right!! I had the problem on my Daturas one year and it worked great. Only problem I experienced is it killed the worms so be careful. If I were to have the problem again, I would lay down newspaper on the ground then pick it up when finished, this should insure my worms would be safe.

Happy Gardening!!

Judy

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3185535

Here's a graphic example. On the left is what one of two datura looked like before Sevin. I was on the verge of pulling them up and putting something else in, but it was late in the seaon and said what the heck. On the Right is about a month or so after using Sevin. I dusted the leaves top n bottom and dirt around them. They turned out to be my last Datura of the year and stunning too.

Like Judy said, it is not earthworm friendly so I usually only use it in containers.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sheshe5245
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2007
1:41 PM

Post #3198268

Thank you for the pictures and information. When I went shopping I saw a Sevin Dust spray as well as the Sevin dust powder, I didn't buy either as I am a chicken when it comes to putting anythying on my plants, other than my home brews. But your pictures sure have put my mind to rest and now I know I need to get the powder form. Thank you so much for your help :0)
PiggyPoo
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2007
1:50 PM

Post #3214218

I was just reading along in this forum and bumped into this thread. I had/have/had a datura plant last year, and it looked just like the picture that was posted above...but it wasn't aphids that attacked it. It was spider mites. Will the seven dust kill those guys, too?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #3214519

Sevin kills pretty much everything. That's why you have to be judicious in its use and try like the dickens not to get too much on the ground as it's earthworm unfriendly. I only use it in containers.

X

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2007
11:00 AM

Post #3408142

Well said, X. Thank you, I'll be sure to avoid using this product while trying to raise more earthworms.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America