-
AuthorContent
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2007
7:46 PM

Post #3131998

I don't have to see a rare plant to enjoy its' beauty...share anything growing in the house or outside with us in the way of pictures...foliage plants...any plants or new projects.
All you need is a digital camera. If you can upload to your computer, you can share with us. It took me two weeks of trying before i finally asked for help...so easy on this site.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 4:42 PM
Dave's website...please remove this as I had already forgotten that this is a forum for only questions...sorry 'bout that...

This message was edited Jan 28, 2007 6:33 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2007
12:13 AM

Post #3132863

Now, now, I think you can have this topic. A way for us to show off and try to inspire a beginner. But all my pics are on the other computer. I can show you something tomorrow!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #3132884

:)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #3133446

sallyg...yea please show tomorrow
notmartha, that reminds me of my grandmother's gardens...going back and really study what you have done to create such a treasure...thanks
nannybee
Boone, IA

January 29, 2007
11:26 AM

Post #3134072

Here is a closeup of my wildflower mixture I have in front of my vegetable garden. I love the corn poppies. It was easy to plant, we just direct sowed before a light snow in March. But keeping the weeds under control has been a lot of work. But they sure are pretty and I enjoy them so much.

Thumbnail by nannybee

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #3134354

Two beautiful submissions already, showing slightly different styles, but I love the massas of flowers in both!
let's see if this is the picture I wanted- kinda hard to see these thumbnails. A casual area, part of my 'vegetable'garden that I lowered my expectations on when the groundhog kept eating it. So I put in a row of zinnias,and one on cleome, an amaranth came up, and a feww odds and ends of other thingsgot in there.
The mailbox, I dumpster dove for it from my neighborhood cleanup, painted and mounted on a branch. It makes a handy place to put some blank labels and pencil, string, gloves, pruners, quick stsh for seeds, etc to keep the rain off and make them handy.

Thumbnail by sallyg

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2007
1:48 PM

Post #3134430

These pics are just too good. For the weeds, I have discovered Preen from Walmart...a preemergence . Once the plants come up and get established just for a few weeks, I go back and use Preen which keeps weeds from coming up AND is a good fertilizer. Someone told me to be sure that the leaves of the plants weren't wet when I applied, but I am amazed at the difference in lack of weeds. I won the greatest looking mailbox at a charity auction (and I don't even get my mail here at the house) ...you have given me a great idea!!!!!
Do you remember which cultivar of seeds you planted of corn poppies...such pretty colors...

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 9:50 AM
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2007
1:53 PM

Post #3134454

here is another angle

Thumbnail by notmartha

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2007
1:57 PM

Post #3134467

this is another of my favorite pics
This is the main garden -i have several others! ;)

Thumbnail by notmartha

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2007
1:59 PM

Post #3134474

think I may be having zone envy??? although Grandma's garden looked just like yours...so pretty and natural
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2007
2:11 PM

Post #3134507

All of these photos are inspiring and offer hope for things to bloom this Spring. I decided to offer a couple of inside photos of my beloved African Violets. Ü

Thumbnail by DonM47

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2007
2:13 PM

Post #3134509

Another, They keep my spirits high on cold winter days.

Thumbnail by DonM47

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #3134525

last one,

Thumbnail by DonM47

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2007
2:29 PM

Post #3134578

I am jealous, Don...I just ordered 10 from Rob's site online...I know what medium to put them in, but what containers do you have yours in and how do you water??? and feed??????
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2007
2:33 PM

Post #3134597

I love dahlias, so here is Snowbound.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2007
2:35 PM

Post #3134605

And Spartacus, much darker red than I could get my camera to show.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #3134619

Hi Betty,

I use African Violet pots. They are the two part pots that have inserts that fit inside a larger pot where the water/food is placed. Then the insert that has an unglazed section, soaks up the water. They work well for me, and I have a couple dozen AV's. Important part...always water from the bottom.

Thumbnail by DonM47

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2007
2:39 PM

Post #3134627

And one whose tag got washed out before I realized it. Actually I have more of those. I spent much of the summer in the hospital, and they had to just survive on their own. My fall helpers mulched the bed for me and pulled out all my stakes and name tags, so this summer will be a lot of fun!!

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #3134635

This is Mary.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2007
2:43 PM

Post #3134638

Last one for today is Firebird.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2007
2:50 PM

Post #3134669

Also should have mentioned that I use Eleanor's VF Food. Use it almost always when I water.

Wicked Dandy Pots work well for AV's as well. Both can be obtained from Charley's Greenhouse and Garden. Make sure when you choose a pot, that it is not too big for the plant. I use inserts in teacups for minis. Good luck!

Lovely dahlias, 1gardengram. Ü Can't wait for Spring!!!

Thumbnail by DonM47

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2007
2:53 PM

Post #3134679

Don, I'm really glad to see AV pots in action. I've looked at them in the stores, but could not figure out why they were so great. Now I know. Do you keep water/food in the outside pot all the time and let it "wick" itself into the inside pot?
Diane
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #3134711

I feel selfish for starting this thread as I am learning so much and the pictures are soooooooooo inspiring...the dahlias are great looking...Don, these violets I ordered will come in 2/12 pots, so what size do i order of the wicked dandy pots?
nannybee
Boone, IA

January 29, 2007
3:51 PM

Post #3134910

bettygail,

The corn poppies came from American Wildflower Seeds over the internet. It was just a mixture of poppies. That's what makes them so much fun. I'd go out every morning to see what was new. There were many colors and some single and some double. Poppies are so pretty but I never had any luck picking them and bringing them in the house. But there were many wild flowers that made great cut flowers. I have a big bed for these flowers, about 7' by 50' so my granddaughters could pick to their heart's content and there would still be plenty of flowers left. I remember picking big bouquets at my grandma's house and wanted my girls to have the same experience.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2007
3:57 PM

Post #3134935

daylilies are my favorite flowers!
this is Kiah Townsend

Thumbnail by notmartha

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2007
4:16 PM

Post #3135017

Betty, depending on whether they are standards or minis, is what will determine the pot size. When you receive your AV's in their 21/2 inch pots, check to see if at what development stage they are at. They could possibly remain in those pots until they are big enough to repot. With AV pots, you can get them with the inserts that are 21/2 inch, 31/2 in and so on. I urge you to check out the AV forum stickies, the top threads of the forum on, transplanting and pot sizes.

1gardengram, AV pots aren't normally "wicked". Dandy pots and other containers can be and they work well. The self watering AV pots that I mentioned earlier have the inner insert with a portion that is unglazed which allows the plant to absorb the water/food from the outter water chamber. I usually let my pots to dry out before I fill them up again. Once a week or more depending on the time of year and environmental conditions. With wicks, I have read that you shouldn't let the wick dry out. I have had this happen many times accidently before I fill the reservoir again without any adverse results.
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2007
5:33 PM

Post #3135276

I need lots of help to get my garden to grow. Here's the beginning of my pond garden's edge after 28 years of weeds were wacked down. The flags mark the spots,where some daylilies are or were planted, if you can see the flags in the pic. I'm sowing swamp milkweeds, cannas & other bog plants to plant at the water's edge. I do have an iris about to bloom if the frost doesn't dip it. If it blooms, I'll post a picture.

Everyone's pictures look like postcards! Lovely and inspiring.
Deborah♥

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2007
5:47 PM

Post #3135312

I found those pots you were talking about Don on Charley's site...wow, they are expensive, but i may buy them anyway...thanks for the help..I have standards coming.
right now I am overwhelmed trying to make up for lost time not living out here in the country...have ordered a lot of daylilies and the ground is not even prepared (LOL). I love them, too notmartha!!
Does anyone know if i took the field next to my brother's house and tilled it with the tractor, would corn poppies grow in our zone 9?? what other wildflower mixes would work in this 100 temp in the summer with high humidity? He really wants me to grow something in the way of wildflowers.
My grandchildren always want to pick flowers and give to their moms.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2007
6:29 PM

Post #3135427

In this picture you can see to the right I mixed bachelor buttons and poppies, everyone that comes to
the garden just luvs them-Id love to do the fields here in flowers! :)

Thumbnail by notmartha

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
6:44 PM

Post #3135466

Those are all the most beautiful gardens and flowers I've ever seen :))
We like to grow Dahlias too and we feed them Eleanor's VF-11

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3135475

They were named when we bought them but we did not keep track .

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
6:48 PM

Post #3135478

another one

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
6:50 PM

Post #3135483

I have always enjoyed growing African violets too !
This one is a Wasp and name is The Martian

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2007
6:50 PM

Post #3135484

I have 2 albums, one on Yahoo suitable for dial-up and the other is our website on Comcast, suitable for broadband users:

Dial-up on Yahoo:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jkom51/album/576460762324223128

Broadband Comcast webpage:
[HYPERLINK@home.comcast.net]
(Click on one of the Flowers set, then click through the photos in each set by clicking on the Right arrow button near the top right)
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
6:52 PM

Post #3135490

This ones name is Annabelle she is from Optimaras Southern belle series

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
6:53 PM

Post #3135493

We enjoy growing all diferent named Sunflowers !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2007
6:53 PM

Post #3135494

Oh you are a daylily lover too! I have these 3 daylily beds and then there are 2iris beds and 2hosta beds and growing!!! I do have several smaller gardens around the garage and pool area! But ive posted all these pictures already here at daves! :)

Thumbnail by notmartha

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #3135498

These are some of my shelves Hubby made me to grow my house plants !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
6:57 PM

Post #3135503

We love Flowers !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
7:00 PM

Post #3135509

Anyone who' like to play we have a new Bingo starting soon in African violet/Gesnerid forum ! Everyone is Well comed !
sjonesartist
Brick, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #3135519

notmartha - those burgandy and peach daylillies are GORGEOUS!!! i've never seen them before.
so pretty!!!
stephanie (sjonesartist)
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #3135606

notmartha--What a gorgeous daylily!! If you get tired of it, you can send it to live at my house. ; ^ }

Don--I understood that you weren't using real wicks in the AV pots, but didn't know what term to use for the water soaking in through the portion designed for that purpose. Yours are so pretty. I'm wondering if it would be possible to buy pretty ceramic pots that cost less than the official AV pots, and get the same effect.

I have not been really happy with myself doing a little bit of wicking, so have been bottom watering only. I am just getting to the point where my AVs are starting to bloom. I was not able to take care of them last summer and fall and I lost a tremendous number of them. The people taking care of them for me let them sit in water for days and days, thinking that way they would not have to water again for a while. I am rebuilding and loving the process, but it will be a while before mine look like yours and Allison's.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #3135791

I am curious about those living in zone 10 as to when you grow dahlias...i love them, but would never even think that i could do it here...do you grow yours in the winter because you don't get freezing weather? This winter we are getting another arctic blast just as we are cleaning up from the last one 10 days ago...
have to go back to jkoms' sites and look at all the 'prettys'
Jkom...what a project you have accomplished...thanks for sharing such a big treat...not a bad photograher either(LOL) as I need some lessons in taking pics...
Isn't this fun on a cold rainy day here>>>

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 4:40 PM

Paul, how incredible...which cultivar is that petunia???? please share with us...it trails soooo far.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 4:42 PM

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2007
8:40 PM

Post #3135809

Enjoy

Thumbnail by paulgrow

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3135822

My coleus did really well last year.

Paul

Thumbnail by paulgrow

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3135841

These were started from a cutting

Paul

Thumbnail by paulgrow

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2007
8:49 PM

Post #3135862

I can'r wait for spring

Paul

Thumbnail by paulgrow

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2007
8:50 PM

Post #3135864

paul-gorgeous-- those coleus don't look like the run of the mill that I'm looking at in a seed catalog.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2007
8:57 PM

Post #3135883

somebody hogged all the dahlia pics already :) that's alright I have others

flax and cosmos, low maintenance

Thumbnail by bigcityal

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2007
9:02 PM

Post #3135910

Those coleus have been gathered from all ovet the place. Some I bought some were cuttings given to me etc.
I save "mother plants" of each variety and over winter them in the basement under lights. Around the first of February I start cuttings to transplant in the spring.

Paul
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2007
9:03 PM

Post #3135916

Limelight and Tardiva hydrangea

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2007
9:07 PM

Post #3135935

lillies

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2007
9:17 PM

Post #3135966

One of my Shasta Daiseys

Thumbnail by Sashagirl

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2007
9:21 PM

Post #3135980

garden border

Thumbnail by Sashagirl

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
9:24 PM

Post #3135992

Beautifl Paul!
Diane don't feel bad those plants I gave them all away. Last Summer I sold mt stands, lights sold some plants gave most away I just can't take care of them.
I just have a few favrites, siz new ones I got from Bluebirds a few weeks ago from a Christmas Gift Cert. , I do have some Gesneriads and Begonias. The Gesneriads I do Have are ones I had a long time they keep giving me babies !
Are you going to Play Bingo ! New game starting soon :))
Here is some of my Chirita babies !.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2007
9:25 PM

Post #3135998

don't know the variety of this hibiscus. I received a pencil sized cutting in a quart milk jug, 10 years ago, which I rooted and planted.

Thumbnail by Sashagirl

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #3136006

Allison

We're coming down there for the month of March. We've rented a place in Tarpon Springs.

Any good gardens to see that time of year?

Paul
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #3136007

Oh their babies of Chirita sinensis 'Hisako' and here are their flowers.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #3136033

Beautiful DeannaV !!!
There is Cypress Garden, Sunken Gardens, Tarpon Spring is fun down by the Sponge Docks all the cool little stores, boat tours , lots of great Greek food .
There are more gardens seems like I've been bed bound so long :((
Bush Gardens is fun like an amusment park with gardens, plants, animals rides and shows.
I think in the Largo area there is a botonical ( SP) Gardens. A friend Jan " Jannich" visited some when she was here last year and took pictures. I think if you do a search if will bring up many more !
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #3136048

This os a new flower that brightened my day on Sunday ! I grew this by leaf ! She;s so beautiful with the whitest snow white flower with deep,dark purple .

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2007
9:49 PM

Post #3136095

OK - just one then

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3136104

Beautiful !!
dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3136154

One of my favorites - Trumpetvine and Company - Dax

Thumbnail by dax080

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 29, 2007
10:44 PM

Post #3136348

Salvias, Agastaches and Echinaceas are favorite plants of mine!

Here is one of my new favorite Salvias, which I grew for the first time, last year. And, it won't be the last!

This is Salvia microphylla ‘San Carlos Festival’! I really love it! I took this on 10/22/06. I plan to plant it again this year and in the ground this time.

Marilyn

edited to say that I've thrown away that rusty looking plant holder. I used it for the Hummers to perch on. I'll put a new one its place for 2007.

Edited to say that I've been growing plants mainly to attract the Hummers and Butterflies and it's rewarding!

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 6:46 PM

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 7:16 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #3136402

1Gardengram, I buy all of my AV self watering pots on ebay. Not too often, as I wait until I find one at just the low enough price, and with shipping costs that are not too high. You can get lucky sometimes. Ü

Don
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 29, 2007
11:13 PM

Post #3136435

Another one of my new favorite Salvias planted for the first time last year. This is Salvia 'Wild Thing'. I love it so much that I have 4 plants of it! Beautiful!

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2007
11:26 PM

Post #3136468

Beautiful everyones plants wow so beautiful!
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #3136549

these pictures plus starting seeds and cuttings have just made my day a verrrrry bright one...didn't even know some of these plants existed...love that white cosmos and the bright pink salvia.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2007
12:00 AM

Post #3136587

beautiful pictures all of you- I am not as good as you guys~~~
Deanna- I just ordered tithonia. In your picture, it looks(nicely) bushier and with larger leaves than I thought, I was picturing a lankier tall thing for some reason. Or am I getting the zinnias mixed in there? Love your combination. Would you say tithonia is bushy?
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #3136635

sallyg mentioned a wonderful idea of putting an old mailbox in her garden to keep some labels and small gardening tools. Look at the mailbox I won at an auction and nothing to do with it until now...can't wait to put it in the yard somewhere among the flowers.
sallyg, tithonia gets very bushy and Torch is my favorite cultivar...

Thumbnail by gessiegail

beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2007
12:33 AM

Post #3136701

You can also get AV pots at places like Home Depot. I would think HD prices would not be as much as Charley's.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #3136747

When I say I live in the middle of nowhere, I mean it...this will be the biggest challenge yet to make beautiful gardens out here...hope this pic is not too inappropriate to show you what I have to work with along with the rattlesnakes, coral snakes, wild hogs, etc. I am having fun starting a big giant project of gardening once again. These are some of the deer being raised down from my house.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 8:49 PM

Thumbnail by gessiegail

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #3136851

bettygail, I love the mailbox!! and what a great idea.

do you have a pic of your home and yard area?

Maybe, we could collectively come up with some inexpensive suggestions for "Flora-scaping".
The whole project will seem less daunting, if you can concentrate on the area close to your home, than expand out from there.
You have a wonderful venue, with which you can incorporate lots of the themultiplying "prairie look" flowers, like cosmos, prairie daiseys, coreopsis, tithonia-so many.
Oh! and speaking of the Tithonias, they got to 6 ft. tall, at least-and extremely bushy-probably a 4 ft spread to each plant(1 seed). They all but choked out my zinnias!

Deanna
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #3136865

Al--I knew you would not be able to stand it for long!! ; ^ } You always have such pretty pictures to share.

Paul--I came to Florida for the first time last year and went to Cypress Gardens. I drooled my way through two whole days of flowers, waterfalls, more flowers, birds, more flowers, butterflies...etc., etc., etc. It was the prettiest place I've seen.

Sally--You are absolutely not allowed to sell your self short here. Do you think we would post pictures of our "messes"?

Betty--I envy you living out away from town like you do. What pretty country!

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #3136878

I moved in last summer and too hot to start gardening..when fall came, i got lazy and took over the veggie garden for flowers...now I am ready to start around the house...I will take pictures tomorrow unless it is raining like they said it would...maybe you all can help me...getting excited already just thinking about what i have seen on this site so far..just remember I can't put anything up against the house that is a ground cover or low growing. The rattlesnakes are too bad...keep trying to think of climbing things or window boxes, etc...thanks and i will be waiting for you, Deanna.
I grew over 800 plants from seed in the fall and am germinating and growing as we speak...will grow even more this spring.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 9:30 PM
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3136935

Wow!

sounds like you have big plans, already!!!
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #3137152

Another new favorite Salvia, being planted for the first time last year, Salvia 'Indigo Spires'. Beautiful! A 'must have'!

Taken on the evening of 10/9/06. Closeup pic.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #3137185

Again, another new to me Salvia that's a favorite! My husband really loved it last year too! It was planted, along with another just like it, along the driveway, where he and I got to see and enjoy them all the time. They were planted with other Salvias and some Agastaches.

Salvia leucantha 'All Purple'. Taken early evening of 10/3/06.

I'm going to want to plant it every year in the ground. Beautiful!

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007

Post #3137188

I have been growing Indigo Spires for years...yours is a beauty...it really needs to get away from the afternoon Sunday here in zone 9 in Texas...otherwise, they just keep growing up and out to the side...my brother's plant gets over 10 ft. tall and 10 ft. wide every summer.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #3137214

Another beauty! This blooms late for me in my zone 6 garden. I usually have it in a large potted container on the patio, but I might have to plant it in the ground next time, because I think it will bloom sooner.

Extreme closeup of Salvia elegans (Pineapple Sage). Took the photo late afternoon of 10/3/06.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
3:23 AM

Post #3137218

I love that Salvia elegans...never have seen it...will it grow from seed? I have never heard of Pineapple Sage...
gail
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #3137227

Bettygail,

Wow! 10 ft. x 10 ft.! That's some Salvia plant! Do you have any pics of it?

Guess everything grows really big in Texas!

Think this photo shows more of the plant. Taken in early Oct. 06.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
3:32 AM

Post #3137239

It froze back this year (pretty tender) with these arctic blasts we have been getting. I will try to remember to take pics this summer...they have to pull the plants out of the ground as they spread so fast and take over everything else...you know how hardy durantas are (and how big they can get...almost tree like) ...this silly indigo spires was trailing all over the durantas, etc.
The reason everything get so big is that our growing season is so long...I had hibiscus blooming all over the front porch in January until the weather came in...it is still cold, but by the middle of February, we can start putting plants in ground again...by the end of March tender perennials are half way there...

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 11:35 PM
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #3137242

Gail,

I'm surprised being in a warmer zone with a longer growing season, that you don't know about Pineapple Sage. I don't know about growing it from seed, I have always bought plastic containers of it a couple of nurseries and you can buy it from some places mailorder here at the Garden Watchdog.

Here's the link for the plant on Plant Files on Dave's Garden.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1913/index.html

The leaves, if you crush them, smell just like pineapple, hence the name.

Marilyn

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
3:36 AM

Post #3137248

thanks, Marilyn...zone 9 is new to me...just moved back home this past summer...
gail
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
3:39 AM

Post #3137256

Gail,

Here is a photo of some Pineapple Sages. The one with the lighter leaves is 'Golden Delicious' and the one with the green leaves is the one I just posted. The flower is the same for both. This flower stem is from the green leaf one. The one with the 'yellow' leaves bloomed a little later.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #3137265

Gail,

Good for you! You'll be able to grow alot more plants and for a longer season in TX.

The 'Golden Delicious' Pineapple Sage was the first time I grew it last year and I made sure I grew it next to the green leaf one so they would look great together.

Marilyn

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
3:53 AM

Post #3137308

Another new to me Salvia (just can't get enough of Salvias, Agastaches and Echinaceas!), is Salvia greggii 'Hot Pink'. Beautiful!

Late afternoon of 10/18/06.

Marilyn

Edited for spelling and grammer.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 11:54 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
6:00 AM

Post #3137491

I got this from High Country Gardens for the first time in 2005 and I really love it! It's Salvia 'Raspberry Delight'!

In fact, I'm getting another one this year from them, because I love it so much!

Beautiful!

Took this photo late morning of 9/19/06 and it's not showing the whole plant!

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
6:02 AM

Post #3137492

A closeup showing the flower of Salvia 'Raspberry Delight'.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
6:09 AM

Post #3137498

One of my long time favorite Salvias for attracting the Hummingbirds is Salvia 'Lady in Red'.

Here it is with 'Adonis Blue' Butterfly Bush and 'Purple Emperor' Butterfly Bush.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
6:19 AM

Post #3137501

Another Salvia I planted for the first time last year and love alot is 'Flame'. I got 2 pots of it at Lowe's. Hoping they will survive the Winter.

It's 'redder' than the pic shows it to be. I took this at 9 am with the morning sun shining on it on 9/15/06. It's more of a true red with no orange.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
6:33 AM

Post #3137505

Salvia 'Cherry Chief'. Beautiful and I love it!!! First time planting it last year. There are 2 plants here of it. Hoping they survive the Winter.

Another new favorite Salvia to love!

Late morning of 8/20/06.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
6:46 AM

Post #3137509

Another Salvia I love and it's a favorite with me is Salvia penstemonoides (Big Red Sage). I got it in 2005 and love it! Beautiful!

Here it is with Lavender 'Grosso' and Verbena Bonariensis.

Morning of July 7, 06.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
6:57 AM

Post #3137521

One of my favorite Agastaches! But then, all of them are!

Agastache mexicana 'Acapulco Salmon & Pink'.

Late morning of 7/7/06.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
7:12 AM

Post #3137536

Another favorite! It's Salvia 'Hot Lips'. Beautiful! Planted it for the first time last year. Hoping it survives the Winter.

Afternoon of 6/24/06 and I don't think I had it too long at this time.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Dravencat
Edgewater, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2007
1:40 PM

Post #3138030

I just do not take enough pics of the entire garden but, this is one of my favorites that shows more than just one flower.
I really hope the beginner gardeners come in and ask as many questions as they can and remember there is never ever a thing as a stupid question.

Thumbnail by Dravencat

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
1:43 PM

Post #3138043

I just germinated 50 'Magnus' coneflowers...love yours with the butterfly...since i really don't have a plan yet for my yard, i just keep germinating seeds...whatever i can't use in the yard I will put down at the garden and use for cut flowers. You all are all so nice to put up with me.
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2007
2:56 PM

Post #3138262

Bettygail, you're sure not a "beginner!" You just have a new home in a new area!

Thumbnail by Murmur

Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2007
2:58 PM

Post #3138274

I forgot to compliment everyone on their lovely, lovely flowers - boy, do I wish I could be outside right now!
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #3138302

Murmur, I could look at your combination borders all day. Love the rocks!

Deborah♥
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2007
3:21 PM

Post #3138360

Deborah, thank you!! That particular bed was first created the summer of 2004 - and it took off like I never imagined. This year I have to move some things as they are too crowded for their own good and some get lost in the thickness. I still need to add rocks as the other side of the bed doesn't have any, and I'd like a few more in some places. Overall, though, I'm pleased with the effect. Many of the rocks were from my own rockery (I only took ones that I didn't think necessary), and many from places where they were getting rid of them. That bed is pretty darn big (probably twice the size I originally designed!).

This photo was taken from the other side (in September) and the tall blue flower to the right is a perennial Salvia - "Black and Blue." It's of the tender variety, but has done well so far . . . here's hoping for this year as we've had colder weather than usual. It has become quite a favorite of mine, as has "Argentine Skies," which doesn't show in this photo, but is of a similar heighth and a lighter shade of blue.

Thumbnail by Murmur

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #3138405

Murmur, I noticed in your picture that you have so many different varieties of perennial flowers blooming at the same time. Was that picture taken in maybe mid June or do you plant your beds to bloom at the same time? I'm asking because I'm just getting started making new beds. I had to fill in with many many annuals just to have something blooming. Also, other problem I had last spring was not planning the heights correctly. Since I'm in south Georgia, some plants that are suppose to only grow 3ft tall actually can grow 4 to 5 ft. I dream of the day mine become mature beds like yours.
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2007
4:00 PM

Post #3138475

The first picture was taken in June, the second one in September. A great many of the perennials bloom at the same time, but there is just enough that continue on, or bloom later, to keep me reasonably happy. I have a number of daylilies which are rebloomers, Phlox which has a long blooming time if I keep it deadheaded, and late bloomers like Snake Root.

The Tall Verbena (the purple to the left) has a really long bloom time, as does the Salvia. However, the Tall Verbena can be a real pest, too - pops up everywhere!! It is easy to pull, though, and I last year I sold a bunch of it at a plant sale my friend and I had.

Early on, I have bulbs blooming - some in the ground (as in this picture), but also quite a few in containers which I later remove and put at the back of my property so I don't have to look at the dying foliage (and the tulips do really well this way as they hate being over watered).

Thumbnail by Murmur

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #3138730

Murmer, I call myself a beginner has I lived in an apt. for 10 years with no gro lights...The seeds I started in the fall were the first in 10 years, so I am really starting over.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2007
7:23 PM

Post #3139104

another garden shot

Thumbnail by notmartha

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
8:05 PM

Post #3139249

I got a that same type of BF on some of my Coneflowers last Summer too. What is that cutie? Thanks!

Marilyn

Edited for spelling.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2007 4:05 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
8:12 PM

Post #3139277

Murmur,

I really love your flowerbed!!! Beautiful! Love how you did your rocks around the edge! I have rocks at my border's edge too, but the way you did it is fantastic!

Marilyn
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
8:14 PM

Post #3139281

Everyones's photos are great too! Forgot to mention that too.

Marilyn
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
8:17 PM

Post #3139283

Murmur,

Love your Salvia 'Black and Blue'! Beautiful! Mine never look any where near that great, so what's your secret? Spill the beans please.

What is that shorter blue flower in front? Is that another Salvia? What is it?

Marilyn
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #3139287

Murmur,

In your 3rd pic, what is that big, tall dark leafed plant, the one behind the pink Tulips?

Marilyn
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #3139328

I got lots of Verbena Bonariensis in my gardens too. I let it reseed and if I don't want some of the seedlings somewhere, I just pull it up. The BF's love it! I've seen Hummers on the flowers too sometimes.

Here's a pic of some blooming with a Monarch BF on it taken last Summer.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3139344

Gail,

I can send you some seeds of Verbena Bonariensis and possibly some other seeds I might still have if you're interested.

Let me know please.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3139357

oops! wrong pic.

I'll see if I can add the right one I going to add.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
9:47 PM

Post #3139586

Marilynbeth, I would love to trade seeds with you in about 3 weeks...I am knee deep in germinating right now...I love trading seeds so much that I am devoting too much time to it right now...let's not forget this trade in a few weeks now. I would love to try theVerbena Bonariensis again...grew it in Houston one time and it was pretty...(I get overly excited when I see something I haven't seen or had forgotten about)
gail
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 30, 2007
11:01 PM

Post #3139813

Hi Gail,

Ok.

Marilyn
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2007
4:06 AM

Post #3140850

Gail, I'm excited for you!!!! Hope you'll share pictures as you create and create and create!!! I lived in apartments for five years (late 80's) and missed gardening so much - the only thing that saved my sanity was that I could do some container gardening on the balconies of both places I lived.

Marilyn, thank you so much for all your nice words . . . makes me feel absolutely wonderful!!! The flower in front of the Salvia Black & Blue is a Caryopteris (I think anyway). The plant in back of the tulips is a Hebe which has a really nice purple flower. I don't know what the secret is on the Salvia, believe me - I think it's a lot of blind luck . . . I just hope they survive the winter. Our local garden center sells them as an annual because they're tender, but you're in a colder zone than I am and yours are surviving, right? Their first winter I mulched them with straw, but I haven't done anything since (this is their third winter) and I'm apprehensive. I'm very happy with how the rocks turned out, too - the bed is slightly raised so I think it made it a bit easier to place them. I have a funny little "creek" (drainage ditch, it must be admitted) right along my property line and I'm hoping to eventually line it with rocks as well. I found a great source close by, but not for free so I'll have to buy them a few at a time. I haven't priced them yet so may change my mind altogether!

I was just looking back over all the photos that have been posted on this thread and they are awesome - I wish I could comment on every single one, but it would take all night. It's just so inspiring to see what everyone is doing! I just keep going back and looking and looking and looking!

Not Martha, it's a pleasure to be seeing some pics of your gardens again - I remember from another thread that they are glorious.

Marilyn, I really like Agastache, too - in this photo it is in back of that Hebe you asked about. At least I think it's Agastache - I'll correct myself later if I find out I'm wrong!

Thumbnail by Murmur

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #3141308

HI Everyone! Y'all have been really busy for 2 days of posting..May I join you all? Good to see all yas from BF&H and BW forums too!! :-SSS

Bettygail! Nice to see you, and you've definatly come to the right place for ideas and inspiration. Everybody has been so generous with advice and pics...Beautiful gardens and flowers y'all!! WOW!

So bettygail, your new to South Texas? Your good for checking out what will survive the heat! Did you know you live right smack dab in the middle of Butterfly land? Something to consider... You may want to plant some host plants for those. The pics in this thread are great nectar sources too, ie. Salvias , Agastache ...Man! you all have such pretty flowers!! There is a thread for Host plants here> http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/661953/ You will get a lot of great ideas there too.

As for getting plants and seeds for growing in Texas, you cant go wrong with Texas Natives. I found several good sources for seeds and plants.
Here is the Texas Native thread in the 'Texas Gardening Forum'> http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/528122/ Tons of good ideas for your climate. There are links in the main Sticky page, so you can check the cultivars you like and get the native variety. I have some seeds I can send you as well. You will find a lot of people in your specific zone there too, all sweethearts!
Seed and plant source, (I love these people!)> http://www.easywildflowers.com/
Texas Native Seeds here > http://www.seedsource.com

Hope that's not overloading you. I will dmail you with my phone number if you can call me.

Deb Magnes

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #3141807

One of my new favorites. This is Salvia 'Dark Dancer' and I planted it for the first time last year. I haven't gotten another one yet, but probably need to. I was hoping this would survive the Winter here, even though I'm in zone 6, but it may not (sadly). It's beautiful! It looks like the 'color' 'sort of' like Salvia 'Raspberry Delight' from High Country Gardens, which I have had since Spring 2005.

I took this photo in the early afternoon of 6/24/06, sometime I got it mail order.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2007
3:10 PM

Post #3141819

i luv sweet williams, they were a favorite of my moms!

Thumbnail by notmartha

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #3141840

I get so inspired by these wonderful pics...am wondering how many salvias I could grow in zone 9?? also, notmartha, what cultivar of sweet williams grow this tall?????????
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2007
3:19 PM

Post #3141849

Notmartha, what a lovely setting that garden is!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2007
3:26 PM

Post #3141868

The sweet williams are the reds and pinks just past the fountain
Foxglove right behind the fountain-leaning becuz of a strong wind storm
Tall seedpod is rhubarb!

Murmur thanks! I have put lots of work into the gardens.
here is a peek at the iris beds

Thumbnail by notmartha

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
3:27 PM

Post #3141872

Murmur,

That's an Agastache 'Blue Fortune' you have planted and it's doing great. Looks like you have 2 plants growing there. I love 'Blue Fortune'. I think I need to make sure mine gets more moisture than the other types of Agastaches.

Salvia 'Black and Blue' never survives the Winter each year here and I have to buy new plants each Spring.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
3:30 PM

Post #3141876

Notmartha,

Beautiful gardens you have! I remember seeing the one that has the Iris in it from the Iris Forum! Beautiful! More work than I could do.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #3141896

Hi Deb,

Glad you came over from Dave's Garden! With both Dave's Garden and Gardens.com, there are so many forums to pick from to enjoy!

So many forums, so little time!

Marilyn
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2007
3:35 PM

Post #3141903

Thanks, Marilyn - now I do remember - lol!!! I love your Salvia Dark Dancer.

Fabulous irises, Notmartha - I only have a few, but enjoy them thoroughly.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
3:38 PM

Post #3141915

Salvia patens 'Blue Angel' is beautiful and a favorite of mine! Love its large blue flowers! And, I love the color blue! . I have to plant it each year, as it's not hardy here.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2007
3:39 PM

Post #3141918

Cordeledawg, I just looked again at your lovely setting with your pond - I can only imagine how glorious that is going to be. You've already done an incredible amount of work, judging from your comment about cutting back all those weeds!!!!
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #3141922

Marilyn, I really have to check into some of your Salvia - I love my tall ones, but those shorter ones would be perfect in a number of spots. I need to make a list - lol!
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #3141927

Murmur,

Quoting:Thanks, Marilyn - now I do remember - lol!!!

What do you remember? You've lost me.

Marilyn
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2007
3:43 PM

Post #3141940

The name of the Agastache (Blue Fortune). Sorry to be so scattered sounding!
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
3:50 PM

Post #3141955

notmartha...i recognize them but they look like they are maybe 18" tall...the only thing we get in the nurseries are about 6 or 8 inches tall...those are the best!!!!!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2007
3:57 PM

Post #3141988

This kind is about 18in tall

painted daisy(james kelway)and lupines,allium and iris

Thumbnail by notmartha

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007

Post #3142001

I love Fuchsia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt'! And the Hummers do too! I plant pots of it on my front porch every year for them. It's 'neat' watching tv and see them come up to the window to 'their' flowers! (I have the pots under the window on the porch). The get the morning sun and then, shade for the rest of the day. They are covered by the overhang of the porch.

Here is a closeup of one of the pots. I get these every year from a local nursery. I usually plant 3 to a pot, but last year I only planted 1 to a pot. Think the Hummers love the 3 to a pot, so I'll have to do that this year.

This isn't hardy here in zone 6.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #3142047

LOl Murmur!

This is Agastache 'Red Fortune'. Beautiful! I got this locally at a nursery. I loved it so much that I got 4 one-gallon pots of it!

As you can see, I already deadheaded it some (so I can have more flowers). I might need to give it 'more moisture' than other Agastaches.

June 24, 06 pic.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2007
4:15 PM

Post #3142066

Oh my, Notmartha, please tell me what are the short clumps of yellow flowers called? (in your Post #3141819) Just gorgeous!

Deborah♥
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2007

Post #3142067

Gorgeous! I can see why you wanted four pots!
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #3142071

Cordeledawg and I posted at the same time and both used the adjective "gorgeous." Not about the same flower, but don't great minds think alike?
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2007
4:19 PM

Post #3142083

I have aAgastache tuti-fruity its an orangish pink
I have 2 blue Agastache kinds-one that smells like licorice and the other is more herbie smelling???
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3142095

deb those are ground sedums flowering
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2007
4:27 PM

Post #3142115

The winding paths has inspired me to do something like that around my pond since I'm planning to make the beds deep starting from the water's edge going out into the yard. Everyone's garden shots really helps me invision the plant combinations and possibilities. Much better than a magazine. Thank y'all so much for posting, thank you for this thread. Please keep the pictures coming.
Deborah♥
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 31, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #3142175

Bettygail Thanks for starting this awesome thread !!

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #3142250

Have any of you posted some of your pictures in Plant files? Sometimes just showing the bloom doesn't give me enough of an idea of how it would work into my garden. For example seeing the picture of the painted daisies with the lupine really helps a newbie see how colors combinations work.
Deborah♥
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #3142334

I dont have many pics in the database just on the forums

Thumbnail by notmartha

Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #3142344

Omigosh, Notmartha - what is that glorious Clematis? Beautiful variety of Lupine, too.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #3142345

don't thank Me...I am benefiting the most!!!! You have given me so many ideas that never would have plopped into this head of mine...I am so excited as I just received my first seed exchange and need to dmail her.
I am going next winter to try those big sweet williams...I won't forget. In the past I always grew bellis perennes during the winter months, but these Sweet Williams and all these salvias and Agastaches (for summer) have given me a new perspective on growing.
Allison, you lucky duck sitting zone 10b, those coleus are probably looking that good at this moment...
The rain and no sun is still going on...two more days, they say...then I can get outside, take pics of the drab empty grounds around my house...and get those of you on here to give me some ideas...I love your gardens a LOT!!

This message was edited Jan 31, 2007 1:33 PM
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #3142410

the clematis is 'Dr. Ruppel'
I have no idea on the lupines! :)

here are some great cluster bellflowers that look good with all kinds of color combinations

Thumbnail by notmartha

skimper
Greenwich, OH

January 31, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #3142418

Here is Japanese Morning Glory Hatsu Arashi from this summer.

Thumbnail by skimper

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #3142420

ok last one for now-I HAVE to get busy here! Its freezing outside and I sure enjoyed ignoring it looking at the pictures!

This is the garden mid-June

Thumbnail by notmartha

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #3142456

I know, I'm in the middle of baking cakes. It's hard to pull away from these beautiful scenes.
Kimper, that's a goreous color of blue!
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2007
6:15 PM

Post #3142464

I've been gardening for the vast majority of the last 40 years - and I am constantly seeing something I've not seen before that just grabs me completely! Do you all have any idea how many plant names I have written down just from this thread???!!!

Ain't the life of a gardener just grand?
skimper
Greenwich, OH

January 31, 2007
6:23 PM

Post #3142496

I love that color of blue also.It is hard to believe,all the different variety of flowers out there.
I have been gardening for a long time.I find it very rewarding and enjoyable.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
10:43 PM

Post #3143294

Beautiful flowers and gardens everyone!!!

This is Lavender 'Grosso' in one of my beds. I love it! It's very fragrant too! Give it some space to look this beautiful.

Morning of July 2, 06 photo.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
10:57 PM

Post #3143335

One of my flowerbeds last Summer taken July 7. I've since pulled about 5 plants out.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 31, 2007
10:57 PM

Post #3143337

All these beautiful flowers amazing. Bettygail those Coleus we have had the same ones for almost 5 years. They are forever growing perris for us ! The impatients seed dropped down from hanging baskets we had for years seeding themselves growing tall in between the coleus ! Each time we moved we took a handful. It roots and grows fast. It does not always look as good in the Winter but in Spring perks right back up. We have shared it with neighbors, Mom , Mom neighbors :)) It grows bushy like shrubs !
We are lucky in five years have not seen frost, in ten years only few times we cover and have not lost anything.
This week they did say we were in a freeze warning and Hubby covered everything , Thank God we had a blanket of clouds protect us and we lowed about 45. The heat has been running most of the week though our home went to 75 today so it shut off. Next couple days 70's and rain. Rain is good were low on it.
It was amazing today , I don't get out ofetn but to see the Purple leaf Shamrock Oxlis ( real name too long for me to spel) growing and blooming away . The Mexican Marigolds I was told/Cosmos the pretty flower blooming away, Impaitents blooming, morning Glories . We need rain bad though were in a bad drought and allowed to water one day a week.
This Begonia gives us a show each year. A friend gave me a tiny peice about 4 years ago now we have a couple in garden beds and some left in our home next door we sold. Gets now special care.Loads of the prettiest pink flowers !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #3143345

that begonia is drop dead gorgeous...remember me with cuttings later on...PLEASE...
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 31, 2007
11:01 PM

Post #3143347

I love these pictures when the sprinkler is on and the sun hits and glistens !
This was last summer. We don't grow as much as we use to nieght of us can do the gardening ourselves . We grow easy stuff !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 31, 2007
11:08 PM

Post #3143370

Oh yes Bettygail once it gets going we only took a couple clumps when we move nov, it's growing nice next door the new owner is a plant freak he is in for a treat I can get a section with leaves and rhizome for you !
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #3143372

I ordered coleus seed from Jungle Seeds in the UK...they came in today...I will share with you sometime this summer when they get going...the new seeds I got from them are: Coleus 'Black Dragon' and Coleus "Giant Exhibition Limelight'...I also got Abutilon F1 series ...love abutilon..I also ordered two amaranthus...we will see what happens...OH...going to try "Brazilian Fireworks" , a pot plant whose botanical name is Porphyrocoma pohliana????????????????????????
Aren't everyone's pictures just the best...I have started writing down every plant I want in the salvias and other plants just from these pics
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
11:10 PM

Post #3143375

One of my favorite Agastaches! 'Tutti Frutti' in bloom in front of Lavender 'Grosso'. I really love this Agastache! Beautiful!

July 7, 06.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #3143408

Love this one! It's Penstemon 'Red Rocks'. I love it so much that I got a second plant of it.

Closeup in July.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #3143491

Of course, this is one of my very favorite plants in my yard! Daylily 'Marilyn Grua'. It's named after me. I took this photo in July 2005 at Dan and Jackie Bachman's Valley of the Daylilies. It's in 'better form' then the start I got from Dan last year. Mine hadn't 'settled in' yet.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #3143514

Here's a pic that shows the height of it. Dan Bachman registered it as 48” tall with the bloom size as 7.75”.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #3143523

Another photo of Agastache 'Tutti Frutti'.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
11:53 PM

Post #3143542

Echinacea 'Fragrant Angel'.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 31, 2007
11:58 PM

Post #3143557

Agastache 'Tutti Frutti', Echinacea 'White Swan', Perovskia (Russian Sage) 'Little Spires' and Echinacea 'Magnus'.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 1, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3143574

Beautiful Marilynbeth !
Bettygail I've never grown Coleus by seed I bet they will be stunning !
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #3143584

Another shot of Agastache mexicana 'Acapulco Salmon & Pink' in different lighting (shows more of the truer colors).

Love this one! Beautiful!

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #3143605

This one of Agastache mexicana 'Acapulco Salmon & Pink' is in a different part of my flower bed. It's next to Salvia 'Mystic Blue Spires'.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #3143608

Thanks Allison.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #3143645

Salvia 'Lady in Red'. This is a 2006 seedling that came up from one of the previous plants I had in the backyard the year before. Love it! Always attracts Hummers! Beautiful!

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2007
12:27 AM

Post #3143673

Marilyn, I am absolutely drooling over your flowers - and you have a wonderful ability to put things together!

Allison, lovely, lovely!!!

Skimper, that Morning Glory is . . . well . . . glorious! What a shade of blue that is - I'd love a sweater that color!
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #3143678

Agastache aurantiaca 'Coronado'. Love it!

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #3143684

Thanks Murmur.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #3143686

MB,
Is Agastache the plant I call Hysopp? It looks the same, and the bees just go nuts over it. I got mine from a friend(he grew it from seed).

I'm up in zone 5, and it reseeds prolifically, here.

Deanna
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3143731

One of my flowerbeds late morning 9/19/06.

I have different Lavenders, different Agastaches, different Salvias and different Echinaceas growing here. Some of the Salvias aren't 'hardy' in zone 6, but we'll see if they come back this year. Hope so!

This is one of 'my favorite' beds, because since I have MS, I can't be outside most of the Summers (too hot, too humid and too muggy for me) and I can look out the window behind the bed and see my flowers.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 1, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #3143758

Thanks Murmur.
Marilynbeth do you grow them all by seed ?
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
12:54 AM

Post #3143788

Deanna,

Here's a link to one of High Country Gardens (Garden Watchdog 30 ) http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/11825/. This is a great place to get Agastaches/Hyssops/Hummingbird Mints.

Another great place to get Agastaches/Hyssops/Hummingbird Mint is Lazy S'SFarm Nursery (Garden Watchdog 30 ). http://www.lazyssfarm.com/

I 'tend' to think the Agastaches attract the Hummers & the Hyssops attract the Butterflies and Bees. Also, I just refer to the whole group of all those plants as Hummingbird Mint, which they are.

Marilyn

This message was edited Jan 31, 2007 8:55 PM
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #3143799

Allison,

I grow them by plants. But, when the Salvia 'Lady in Red' plants go to seed, I pick the stems with all the seeds and 'use' them for more plants.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #3143803

Gorgeous colors you all!! Marilyn, Alison, and Dori!

Betty~
I have the best luck with Coleus by finding a cultivar I !love!, Then propigate the plant by cuttings. Growing from seed has always been inconsistant for me but *different can be good*. Just to ensure I get what I want I rather clone than seed Coleus. Another thing with these beautiful tenders is to not let them go to seed. It saps the life out of the plant's foliage. If planted with flowers and bloom food is used they will tend to flower more rapidly.
Coleus is a great plant! Most do best in soft sun or shade. In 100* weather I needed to water good either late at night or early in the morning every day, unless it rained.

Here is a cool place I just came across..Coleus finder it has 1115 pictures.
o/~
Deb

Shhh~~ in this pic I had let the Limelight go to flower, eek!! The do make the most psychodelic purple flowers tho' it really does sap the plant.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2007 6:58 AM

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #3143813

Here's another pic of Agastache aurantiaca 'Coronado' that shows more of the plant. It's behind Agastache mexicana 'Acapulco Salmon & Pink'.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #3143816

LOL Deb!
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #3143832

Autumn Sage 'Rosea' (Salvia greggii) with Agastache rupestris (Sunset Hyssop). Morning sun shining on plants on 9/15/06.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #3143873

Sowed some Agastasche rugosa, and still yet the Monarda fistulosa to sow. Even trying Syringa vulgaris...who knows it might turn out alright. Won't know until spring though, and it has me waiting..I keep reminding myself how to wait patiently! It's reaal hard!
Marilyn you have some stunning varieties!
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2007
1:35 AM

Post #3143932

Mariyn, you have more cultivars of salvia and Agastache than anyone I have ever seen...how many years have you been in collecting all these!!!!!
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
4:18 AM

Post #3144492

Thanks Deb.

Thanks Gail. Only very recently. LOL! For the last 2 or 3 years.

I'm going to get alot more Salvia and Agastache this year. Some of the Salvia aren't hardy in my zone.

If I hadn't belonged to Dave's Garden and find out about the Garden Watchdog, I wouldn't know about all these companies to order these wonderful Salvias and Agastaches!

Marilyn
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
4:26 AM

Post #3144508

BTW, I got that Autumn Sage 'Rosea' (Salvia greggii) from Lowe's last year. Wished I had gotten more at the time.

Gail, keep an eye out weekly at Lowe's to see what they put out for plants. They usually put alot more plants Thursday and esp. on Friday (for the upcoming weekend crowds). I got Salvia 'Wild Thing', Salvia 'Hot Lips', Salvia "Flame', Agastache 'Tutti Frutti' there last Summer during different weeks.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
4:31 AM

Post #3144519

Flowerbed next to sidewalk and driveway on 9/15/06 at 9 am with morning sun shining on it.

Mostly Salvias with a few Lavender varieties showing.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
4:33 AM

Post #3144523

2 Salvia 'Flame' plants I got from Lowe's last year.

Sept. 15, 06 shot.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
4:40 AM

Post #3144543

Salvia 'Dark Dancer' with Salvia miniata,(the Belize Sage) behind it in September.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
4:44 AM

Post #3144554

Salvia ‘Mulberry Jam’ and Salvia miniata (the Belize Sage) in September.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
4:48 AM

Post #3144563

'Mystic Spires Blue' Salvia with Agastaches behind it and on the left of it. 9/19/06.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2007 12:49 AM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
4:55 AM

Post #3144575

Closeup of Salvia darcyi with some Lavender and Verbena Bonariensis.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
4:57 AM

Post #3144578

Here's another shot of it.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2007
5:00 AM

Post #3144584

Gosh, Marilyn, the names alone are enough to make me buy them!
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
5:00 AM

Post #3144585

Here's a different view on one of the above pics of one of my flowerbeds.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
5:01 AM

Post #3144588

Murmur,

LOL
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
5:06 AM

Post #3144601

This is the 'whole' shot of Salvia microphylla ‘San Carlos Festival’ in the plastic container - late afternoon of 9/25/06.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
5:09 AM

Post #3144609

Another view of Agastache 'Tutti Frutti'. Actually, I have 3 plants in this area of this bed. Two of them are probably in the photo.

9/25/06 late afternoon.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
5:11 AM

Post #3144613

Still another view (closeup) of Agastache 'Tutti Frutti'.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
5:13 AM

Post #3144615

Aster 'Monch' (I have 3 of them and this is one of them). Love it!

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
5:16 AM

Post #3144619

Agastache 'Desert Sunrise' (High Country introduction) with Salvia 'Wild Thing' and Salvia 'Indigo Spires'.

10/3/06 late afternoon.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
5:24 AM

Post #3144626

Another view of Agastache aurantiaca 'Coronado', Agastache mexicana 'Acapulco Salmon & Pink', 'Mystic Spires Blue' Salvia, Dianthus 'Firewitch', Salvia 'Raspberry Delight' and Agastache 'Red Fortune'.

10/3/06 late afternoon.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
5:30 AM

Post #3144630

Salvia ‘Maraschino’.

10/3/06 late afternoon.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
5:33 AM

Post #3144634

Closeup of Autumn Sage 'Rosea' (Salvia greggii) with Agastache rupestris (Sunset Hyssop).

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
12:09 PM

Post #3144899

coral penstemon

Thumbnail by notmartha

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2007
1:59 PM

Post #3145237

notmartha and Marilynbeth...what a show you have put on for us...keep it coming...oh, the fun of gardening...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2007
2:02 PM

Post #3145246

I just went back through this thread and there are so many of you who have sent in fabulous and exciting pics..deanna and all the rest...don't want to leave anyone out!!! they are much appreciated by all who have viewed!!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
2:42 PM

Post #3145378

blue garden

Thumbnail by notmartha

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #3145385

veronica

Thumbnail by notmartha

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
2:49 PM

Post #3145401

another veronica with yellow green leaves

Thumbnail by notmartha

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
2:52 PM

Post #3145411

my sweetest day rock in the blue garden

Thumbnail by notmartha

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
2:54 PM

Post #3145418

spiderwort

Thumbnail by notmartha

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
2:58 PM

Post #3145431

delphiniums

Thumbnail by notmartha

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
3:01 PM

Post #3145443

bearded iris and bachelor buttons

Thumbnail by notmartha

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2007
4:04 PM

Post #3145650

OH I like that combination!
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #3145742

Beautiful flowers and bardens Notmartha.

What are the names of the flowers in your blue gardens?

What are the names of the 2 Veronicas?

Marilyn
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #3145816

the names are under the snow if i still have the tags-I only save names for -daylilies,hostas,coralbells,toadlilies,iris,and some of the roses!

this is a veronica gen(something) i remember that
blue flax in the background

Thumbnail by notmartha

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3145869

'Gay Butterflies' Butterfly Weed in Orange. Lavender 'Blue Cushion' on the left.

6/13/06 photo.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #3145878

gas plant

Thumbnail by notmartha

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
5:06 PM

Post #3145885

wisteria in Michigan! :) 9yrs from planting to bloom!!!

now im off to get busy-daylily seeds to plant

Thumbnail by notmartha

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
5:08 PM

Post #3145894

Here's a closeup of the some of the flowers of Orange 'Gay Butterflies' Butterfly Weed.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #3146040

I was wondering what the butterfly weed plant as a whole looked like. Thank you for posting these pictures. Seeing the whole plant helps me visualize where I can place these in my border.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #3146500

Cordele,

Here's the flowerbed that orange Butterfly Weed is in. It's on the far right of the bed. All that orange is the Butterfly Weed (it's next to the Lavender).

Marilyn

This message was edited Feb 1, 2007 4:18 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #3146520

Cordele,

Here's another view of the orange BF Weed.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
8:26 PM

Post #3146536

Here's another look at it.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
8:35 PM

Post #3146573

Cordele,

If you're interested in planting a Milkweed, which is a 'relative' of the BF Weed, here's one look of 'Soulmate', so you can get an idea of what it will look like in your garden.

Great for the Monarch BF's and the host plant for their 'babies'. I have it in the same bed at the other end.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
8:48 PM

Post #3146625

This is one of my clumps of Crocosmia 'Lucifer'. It attracts the wonderful and beautiful Hummingbirds.

6/30/06.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
8:51 PM

Post #3146637

Cordele,

Here's a 'good' look of the orange BF Weed

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
9:00 PM

Post #3146671

Closeup of Veronica 'Pink Damask'. Beautiful! I love it!

Lavender 'Grosso' is in the background.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2007 5:01 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #3146684

Another look at Crocosmia 'Lucifer'. The Hummingbirds will sometimes sit on the stems for a perch. I try to have some other perches for them to be able to sit around 'their' flowers.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #3146777

A pic of some of my potted containers last year.

The 3 potted plants that are in front and to the left are different Salvias that bloom later.

Edited to add...

The tomato cage in the last pot in front to the left is not for a tomato plant. I added it for a Salvia plant in case the Hummers (songbirds wanted to use it too last Summer). As the Salvia grew bigger and taller, the cage disappeared.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2007 5:48 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
9:57 PM

Post #3146814

Heliopsis 'Summer Sun' among Liatris 'Kobold', Echinecea 'Fragrant Angel', Echinecea 'Bravado', a Gaura, Echineceas 'Sundown' and 'Sunrise' on July 1, 2006.

Other flowers are in this bed that aren't shown.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
10:01 PM

Post #3146826

Here's another view of the flowerbed.

Different Salvias are in front, Veronica ‘Royal Candles’ to the right.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #3146839

Closeup of Salvia 'Black and Blue' and Salvia patens 'Blue Angel' next to each other on the patio last June.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2007
10:20 PM

Post #3146884

Marilynbeth...you must have the most managed and biggest garden I have ever seen...those salvias and even the butterfly plant which we have down here seem to be prettier than 'our butterfly plants;
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
10:46 PM

Post #3146959

Gail,

Thanks for your nice comments!

We don't have a big garden and/or big yard - it's 68" wide by 110" (or 115") long and that's including the house that sits on it. We also have a side entry for our driveway (so that take's away gardening space).

It's definitely not managed. LOL, I wish!

Marilyn
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3146993

Salvia 'Navajo Pink'.

Picked this up at a local store (a very large food/non food - one stop shopping store) last Summer. It was in an 8 or 10 inch pot and I didn't know if it was hardy for my zone, so I placed it into a 14" pot on the patio. When I found this Salvia, there was only one pot and only this color of Salvia left.

Beautiful!

This message was edited Feb 1, 2007 6:56 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007

Post #3147008

Gail,

Here's a Milkweed that is likely to be hardy in your garden, 'Silky Red'. It's not in mine.

The purple flowers around it are Verbena Bonariensis.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2007 7:01 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007

Post #3147013

Closeup.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #3147040

Closeup of Salvia 'Black and Blue' flower.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
11:12 PM

Post #3147054

Closeup of Salvia 'Navajo Pink' flowers.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2007
11:17 PM

Post #3147065

That last pic is what our butterfly plant is...I have a suggestion for you which would never make you have to buy a plant again...get your gro lights in and heating mats...start rooted cuttings to trade of your salvias...you could trade forever...i don't even get to see all those salvias anywhere...i could name on one hand the ones we see down here and I am quite sure that if we can grow salvia greggi in our summers, the south could benefit greatly from trades on your salvias and other plants...does that even interest you to propagate. (I like propagating maybe even more than the actual gardening) well, maybe there is a little "truthiness" (as Colbert says on his report) in that statement.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 1, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3147125

Gail,

I go to store's like Lowe's at least once a week (usually more than once - several times) to get not only birdfood (I feed the birds every day/year round), but to check what they have for plant selection and plant supplies.

I go to 2 local nurseries 'here and there' to get plant supplies and see what they have for plants.

Sometimes I go to Home Depot to see what they have for plants.

I order from High Country Gardens for plants and supplies (lately it's been for Salvias, Agastaches and Lavenders).

http://highcountrygardens.com/

I order from Lazy S'S Farm Nursery for plants (lately it's been for Salvias and Agastaches).

http://www.lazyssfarm.com/index.html

I order from Crownsville Nursery for plants (usually for Salvias).

http://www.crownsvillenursery.com/

I've looked into Plant Delights for Salvias, but haven't ordered yet, but I'm sure I will order sometime soon.

http://www.plantdelights.com/

I just placed an order for Salvias from Cottage Garden. They have their catalog online, but you can't order online at this time.

http://www.cottgardens.com/index.html

I haven't started growing plants inside. I just order more that die and/or aren't hardy.

Being in Texas with a warmer (hotter) zone, I would think you would be able to find and grow alot more than I can. And, to have more places to get flowers year round.

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #3147191

We have trouble with most perennials...can grow coreopsis, asclepsias tuberosa, ecinacea, , etc. Although we can grow many things during our long season...tropicals outside, etc...we can't grow a lot that you do..I lived in zone 6 and grew totally different plants. I am going to order from some of the above sites...you would never find these salvias and agastaches in our Lowes or Home Depot...mostly tropicals and some ordinary bulbs and perennials...
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007

Post #3147370

Gail,

The only Agastaches that I found at Lowe's is 'Blue Fortune', 'Golden Jubilee' and 'Tutti Frutti'.

You might have to do like I do and get the plants I really want through mail order.

The following companies are Garden Watchdog 30 companies'

High Country Gardens
Lazy S'S Farm Nursery
Plant Delights
Logee's Greenhouses

Plant Delights just became a Garden Watchdog 30 company this year. And, I just placed an order earlier this month at Logee's for the first time and am getting 4 Salvias.

I really like High Country Gardens and Lazy S'S Farm Nursery.

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #3147458

thanks and i am planning ordering from the sites you gave me...first i have to keep planting seeds...beginning to see double...maybe even crosseyed...
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2007
6:07 AM

Post #3147976

Marilynbeth, if you're not a landscape designer, you have missed your calling for sure. Folks on DG could really benefit from your pictures if you can submit them in plantfiles. All too often only a picture of the bloom is submitted by most people and not enough of the rest of the plant is shown. Not only do your pictures show a full view of your topic plant, it shows just enough of its companion plants as well as your hardscapes. These are the design relationships I've been looking for. Your pictures could easily be submitted to Better Homes and Garden. I'm not just trying to flatter you, I'm serious as a judge here. You and Notmartha both have some wonderful gardens and I can't tell y'all enough how much we, {I'm sure I can speak for Bettygail as well}, appreciate y'all sharing your pics.
I've sown several of the plants in your pictures, both inside and winter sowing in jugs in the shade of a pine tree. With your pictures, I'm able to take notes on where they will be planted and how they will be combined. Crossing my fingers here ☺
Feeding the birds year round is one of my priorities too. Another priority is to provide as much of a natural Butterfly habitat as I can. I'm a regular lurker on the butterfly and bird forum and I'm learning alot about the Monarch Watch certification program. Getting my yard certified as a butterfly habitat is this year's goal.
I've never heard of the cultivar 'Soul Mate' milkweed. Is it A. incarnata? I'll have to put that one on my wish list.

Gail, I like to take cuttings too. Successfully rooted some Brugmansias and mexican petunias "sticks" which has now given me the propagating bug.

Happy Gardening y'all!
Deborah♥
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2007
2:11 PM

Post #3148569

deborah, wait until this summer and we can do a lot of trading...I am rooting right now Jatrophas in two colors (red and baby pink)...I would love a Brugmansia...never had one...Propagating is more addictive than actually gardening out in the yard 'me thinks'...
I just moved in a few months ago so am just firing up for more gardening for years to come in this location.
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #3148670

Deborah, I agree with you about Notmartha and Marilyn - I truly cannot get enough of their garden photos!!!

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #3148934

Deborah and Murmur,

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!! Thanks for your nice comments!

Most of these photos are in the Dave's Garden Plant Files.

I mainly plant for the Hummingbirds and Butterflies (and plant some host plants). The forum of gardening for BF's and Hummers is a favorite along with the new Bird Watching forum. It's very rewarding to me to feed the birds everyday, year round. I add seed to the feeders and on the ground, since some birds only eat on the ground. I get to see the 'baby' birds when and after their parents feed them. I get to see the migrating birds stop in the Spring and the Fall. I really enjoy the Hummers that come for the Spring/Summer months (sadly, they depart early Oct.) I get to see the songbirds that come up during that time and breed here.

Love to see the BF's in the yard/garden and on the flowers. I feel like 'mother hen' with the BF cats on their host plants.

Yes, Milkweed 'Soulmate' is A. incarnata. I'll be happy to share some seeds of it with you (after it blooms this year). I got Milkweed A. incarnata 'Ice Ballet' last year and this year should be the first year in has blooms (that's how 'Soulmate' was too). I ordered Milkweed 'Cinderella' from Gardens Crossing. this year. I'll be happy to share some seeds of those too after they flower.

Marilyn

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 12:01 PM
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007

Post #3148945

I got Agastache 'Orange Flare' from High Country Gardens (one of their new introductions). It's another beauty and I have another one coming this Spring (along with some other Agastaches).

This photo was taken 9/19/06, late morning.

Marilyn

Edited to add...Salvia 'Lady in Red' is on the far left of the pic.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 12:02 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #3148962

Agastache 'Heather Queen' with Agastache 'Orange Flare'. I found 'Heather Queen' at a local nursery and I just 'had' to get it! Beautiful as all Agastaches are! They smell great, look great and are long blooming. I love having plants that smell good, look great and are long blooming!

I'm always adding each year plants that attract the BF's and Hummers. Gotta take care of them!

9/19/06 pic.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2007

Post #3148984

Deborah and Murmur,
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!! Thanks for your nice comments!-------ditto what Marilynbeth said

I know i have put yrs of work into my gardens and i really love doing it. I plant a little of everything i guess!
The birds,bees and people come to the garden and all are welcome!
Each day is a new day in the garden with something different blooming. I think thats the most fun, finding something new blooming!

Thumbnail by notmartha

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #3149275

Notmartha,

Beautiful garden! Plants must really love growing where you live! Beautiful colors you have growing together!

Marilyn
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #3149334

This photo, I think, shows the whole plant of Salvia 'Indigo Spires'.

If one doesn't have this much space for it, a smaller identical Salvia is 'Mystic Spires Blue'. I planted both for the first time last year. Except for size, they look exactly the same.

Photo of Salvia 'Indigo Spires' taken on 9/25/06 late afternoon.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007
6:16 PM

Post #3149430

Salvia 'Mystic Spires Blue' with Agastache mexicana 'Acapulco Salmon & Pink' in front and to the right of it and Agastache aurantiaca 'Coronado' behind it and to the right of it.

Late afternoon of September 25, 2006.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007
6:30 PM

Post #3149498

This beauty is Agastache 'LSS Hot To Trot'.

It's an Lazy S'S Farm Nursery introduction that I bought last year from them. They haven't offered it yet this year and I don't know if they will offer it later during the year. (if they do, it will be listed under their "Recently Added Plants" link on their website).

I love it!

Took this photo on 10/3/06, late afternoon.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3149567

Here's another view of Agastache 'LSS Hot To Trot', which shows more of the whole plant. I don't know if this will survive the Winter ( I think it was listed as zone 7 ), but I hope it does. Agastaches sometimes take a season or two to reach their full size, so this is what it looked like by October 3, 06.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007
6:56 PM

Post #3149612

Here's another view of Agastache mexicana 'Acapulco Salmon & Pink' that I have in a different part of my yard.

With all my Salvias and Agastaches, I give them very well drained soil and add some 'all purpose' sand (I get it in 50 pound bags at Lowe's in the lumber section inside the store. Don't use the play sand, it's not good for drainage for plants). Iusually add more sand when planting the Agastaches and put pea gravel on top instead of wood mulch. They esp. like to be 'drier' year round and definitely in the Winter.

Late afternoon 10/3/06.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2007
7:17 PM

Post #3149663

Marilynbeth you are the Agastache Queen! :)
Your flowers are beautiful too! :)
im going to end the day with a daylily

have a great weekend all!
its going to be -5 here with a windchill of -20's
cant wait for spring!
48days!

Thumbnail by notmartha

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #3149747

Notmartha,

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!! Thanks for your nice words!

I love the Agasaches alot and keep buying them! I even potted up a plant of Agastache mexicana 'Acapulco Salmon & Pink' for my patio to see and smell it close. I knew the Hummers would delight in having another of 'their' plants close to 'their' feeder. I'm hoping that even though it was potted up that it stills grows for me in that container this year.

June 24, 06 pic on the patio in a plastic container.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007

Post #3150387

Salvia leucantha (Mexican Bush or Velvet Sage) purple and white flowers. Beautiful! A closeup of the 'furry' flowers. You can see and feel it too ('furry'). I love it!

This is a late blooming Salvia. I had this in a 20" plastic pot on the patio that got full sun.

I took this photo late afternoon of 10/18/06.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2007
11:14 PM

Post #3150447

And, here's 'part' of the plant blooming in October.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #3150799

yea...we have that one (Salvia leucantha)...I will let you know this summer how my salvias and agastaches are doing...there will be sun tomorrow i think...don't get lost as I am going to need everyone's suggestions for starting from scratch out here on the farm...
Everyone has gotten a new education in landscaping...never dreamed it would get this goooood!!
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #3151057

Gail,

LOL

Marilyn
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007

Post #3151106

Agastache 'Apricot Sunrise' with Salvia greggii 'Wild Thing' on October 18, 2006.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #3151122

Here's the closeup of Agastache 'Apricot Sunrise' with Salvia greggii 'Wild Thing'.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #3151127

Salvia leucantha 'All Purple' closeup of flower.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #3151156

2 plants of Salvia leucantha 'All Purple'blooming in mid October.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #3151179

Closeup of Veronica 'Royal Candles' on 10/18/06.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #3151189

Veronica 'Royal Candles'with Lavender 'Hidcote Blue'on the left.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
1:24 AM

Post #3151195

Lavender 'Hidcote Blue' on 10/18/06. Love the foliage color and the flower color!

When I plant Lavenders, I always make sure that it has excellent drainage with 'all purpose' sand mixed into with the soil. It has to have 'lean' (not fertile) soil so that it will be able to stay on the dry side, esp. during Winter. Need to add pea gravel around plant and not wood/bark mulch.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 9:29 PM

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 9:34 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
1:32 AM

Post #3151234

Closeup of Lavender 'Hidcote Blue' flower.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #3151350

Gaillardia 'Oranges and Lemons' next to Buddleia (Butterfly Bush)'Ellen's Blue'. I love these 2 colors together!

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #3151361

Closeup of Gaillardia 'Oranges and Lemons' with bees on some of the flowers, a Monarch BF on one of the flowers of Buddleia (Butterfly Bush)'Ellen's Blue'.

Photo taken late afternoon of 10/18/06.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #3151386

Closeup of flower of Buddleia (Butterfly Bush)'Ellen's Blue'.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2007
3:06 AM

Post #3151485

I just planted that Gaillardia this last Fall - three of them. Is that Butterfly Bush a miniature? I, too, love those colors together, but my Butterfly Bushes grow BIG - even though I cut them to the ground every year.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #3151488

Salvia leucantha purple and white flowers, blooming on the patio in its 20" pot on the afternoon of 10/22/06. Other Salvias are blooming next and behind it.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007

Post #3151497

Murmur,

No, I kept 'pinching it back', but I've read somewhere that it will get 'bluer' the bigger it gets, so I'm not going to keep it on the small side next year. Of all my BF Bushes, and I have about 10-12 of them, the BF's seem to really favor this one.

Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2007
3:22 AM

Post #3151525

Butterfly Bushes are a noxious weed out here (not the highest list, but noxious nonetheless), but I refuse to give mine up. I do keep them deadheaded which pretty much eliminates the problem. I can't think of the name of mine, but they are deep purple. I have a bunch of starts (talk about an easy plant to start) as well.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
3:28 AM

Post #3151541

Another 'look' of Agastache 'LSS Hot To Trot', Salvia 'Indigo Spires' and one flower of Salvia greggii 'Wild Thing'. I took this at 2:18 pm on 10/22/06, and I noticed that the colors are darker and brighter than they were earlier in the season. I think it was a chilly and cloudy day that day also.

Beautiful!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 11:29 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
3:44 AM

Post #3151589

I always keep mine deadheaded too. Gotta have the flowers blooming for the BF's, lol. Never had a problem with 'invasiveness' (didn't even know till a few months ago that BF Bush was 'invasive').

I have

Black Knight
Pink Delight
White Profusion
Ellen's Blue
Cornwall Blue
Buddleia fallowiana 'Lochnich'
Buddleia x weyeriana 'Honeycomb'
Royal Red
Buddleia davidii nanhoensis 'Nanho Blue'
'Adonis Blue'
'Peacock'
'Purple Emperor'
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2007
3:50 AM

Post #3151601

Black Knight is the one I have that I really like (the one I couldn't think of) - I also have starts of a much lighter one that I got from my neighbor.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 3, 2007
11:52 PM

Post #3154348

Daffodils 'Geranium' in April 2005. Sweetly fragrant and beautiful!

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Walnut23
Avon, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2007
10:34 PM

Post #3157700

Great pictures Everyone. It is frigid here in Western NY, so I am really enjoying the pictures and daydreaming of spring. Here is a picture from one of my gardens

Thumbnail by Walnut23

Walnut23
Avon, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2007

Post #3157752

Another view

Thumbnail by Walnut23

Walnut23
Avon, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2007
10:59 PM

Post #3157761

And a month later in mid July

Thumbnail by Walnut23

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2007
11:14 PM

Post #3157790

walnut23, your beds are beautiful ...so healthy looking and i envy all those big trees...send us more...we love it and we keep getting good ideas...
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2007
11:56 PM

Post #3157895

This is my pic of my double flw shasta daisy. I think its called "Teddy Bear" or something like that.

Thumbnail by momo125

rmccormack2001
Denver, CO
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2007
7:14 PM

Post #3224079

I thought I would share a pix of a portion of my flowerbed.

Rebecca

Thumbnail by rmccormack2001

Plant_Dreams
Seminole, FL

February 25, 2007
7:16 PM

Post #3224087

Very pretty What are the names of the flowers in front tall pretties ?
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3224244

If you are talking about the little yellow ones, they are coreopsis...one of my favorites...I am growing from seed about 4 kinds and then I ordered from Park some that don't grow from seed.
I am still crazy about those shasta daisies...I order seed for Crazii shastas...will have to germinate in the early fall and put them in the ground for spring...
rmccormack2001
Denver, CO
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2007
8:10 PM

Post #3224284

Correct they are coreopsis 'Sterntaler'. From back to from: Gaura flanked by red Snap dragons and Liatris 'Kobold, Coreopsis 'Sterntaler, and pink Jupiters Beard.
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #3224290

Lovely combination of plants (and they all look really healthy & happy!!).
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2007
10:54 PM

Post #3232125

Cassia phyllodena (I think) from AU

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #3232224

Dale, your picture of Cassia phy?, is that a shrub or a tree? Is it different from Cassia alata?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2007
2:39 AM

Post #3232932

Dawg,

It is a shrub here, but, may be tree like over time. Much different plant than alata. Shorter, grows slower, blooms twice a year, doesn't attract ants like alata (so yellow butterfly larve can munch on the leaves and grow to adults), more tolerant of cool weather, just a better cassia for sub tropical climates. I don't know much about its range or where it comes from, other than it's from Australia. I am not sure if it is root hardy like alata is (in your zone). The bees found the flowers on this cycle of flowering so I have 3 seed pods, so far. I hope to have some to trade and I would really like to grow more of it.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2007
2:56 AM

Post #3233006

I may have some seeds, not sure. The lady that gave them to me put cassia py? on the package with the question mark. Want me to send you some, even if they may not be the real deal?.

Dale, your picture looks like a Desert Cassia, Senna polyphylla.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 12:07 PM
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
1:47 PM

Post #3240707

What a bunch of great gardens and beautiful photos. My son photographs for me,and just taught me how to share.

Thumbnail by gardengus

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
1:53 PM

Post #3240726

another photo

Thumbnail by gardengus

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
1:56 PM

Post #3240732

one more for practice

Thumbnail by gardengus

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2007
2:32 PM

Post #3240834

Your son taught you well; great photos. Thanks for sharing.
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2007
2:47 PM

Post #3240874

Gardengus, wonderful photos!!!
rmccormack2001
Denver, CO
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #4476745

I have spring fever bad, and I still have several more months to go. =(
Here is a picture of one of my flower beds in the spring.

Thumbnail by rmccormack2001

marzissa
Irvine, CA

January 31, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #4479246

Here is my cactus garden; definitely the best show in my garden.

Thumbnail by marzissa

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #4479289

How much fun to see all these photos!
gail
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2008
12:09 PM

Post #4481613

Beautiful pics everyone! Wonderful thread!!
Hi gessiegail... You might want to make a new thread for this one, it's up over 300. (Some DGers are on dial-up).

Just title it the exact same way only with "Volume 2" or "Page 2" added to the title. Then go back and post the new page url here.:-)

... and refer to this thread url in your opening post..

debnes
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #4482562

How in the world did I miss this thread. Everyone has such beautiful flowers. I always love looking at Not Martha's garden. : ) And, Marilynbeth, your salvias and agastaches are to die for. : )

Thanks for showing us your beautiful gardens everyone.
~Lucy
lilcaro
San Jose
Costa Rica

September 23, 2008
2:48 PM

Post #5588876

My first Dahlia
After all the problems I had due to my little knowledge about gardening finally I got a beautifull flower

Thumbnail by lilcaro

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #5589388

Congratulations!!! Beautiful color.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #5590858

wow is right! Good growing and good picture!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #5604125

Too bad I didn't notice this thread in the spring. But here's a shot of right in front of the house

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #5604134

Pot of coleus.

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5604166

one of my rose blooms

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5604178

wildflower garden

Thumbnail by flowAjen

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5604222

I love roses so much!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5605534

Ok gessiegail, here's another rose just for you.

Thumbnail by flowAjen

lusarytole
Fairmont, WV

September 28, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #5607704

Here you go...

Thumbnail by lusarytole

qweabab1
Paking
China

June 12, 2010
3:13 AM

Post #7880981

I have the same problem

This message was edited Jun 12, 2010 3:15 AM

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8611755

Here is one of my gladiolas and cl. Don juan; hasn't bloomed yet. First year. First year with a garden too! And I put down a flower seed mix, but can't tell what's weeds & Whats flowers. Lol

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8614860

This is blue eyed grass and Burgundy glow ajuga :) love everyone's pictures!

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81

PrairieFolly
Flint Hills, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #8953036

BigCityAl, Love your flax and cosmos. Do you remember the varieties, and did it hold up ok through the summer? Did you seed in place or put in plants? Do you mind copy cats? I think I am about the same zone, and need to line a walk. This was a great thread, and I studied it. If DG had a place for us to collect our fav pics to refer back to... I'd have filled it up! Thanks, PF
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #8958971

Love this thread and I think it is perfect for beginners...

It has gotten quite long for those on dial up.

Starting a new thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1236350/

This message was edited Jan 8, 2012 10:27 AM

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM
Knockout Roses MrNvestor 6 Mar 26, 2007 6:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America