KISS Camping

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Keep
It
Seriously
Simple

If you were to go camping with 4 people total (2 kids, 16 and 7), a tent and a small car, what would you absolutely HAVE to bring?

1. Tent
2. Sleeping bags/bedding
3. Dutch Oven
4. Cooler/food
5. First aid kit
??

We used to go camping all the time when we also had a minivan. Now we are back to one car, and a small one at that, but it does have a large trunk.

I had a great camp kitchen that I designed and DH built, but it barely fit in the van, there is no way I could transport it now. *sigh*

So what would consider absolutely necessary?

mg

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

a trailer..even a small one

How would I find out if I could pull a trailer, or install a hitch?

I have a 2001 Ford Focus like this one.

mg

Thumbnail by mornin_gayle
Missouri City, TX

We did it for several years in a Mazda GLC.
Had roof racks, and 2 17 foot Folbots on top.

Must have for us included:
Coleman stove
non-stick skillet 8 - 9"
Coleman lantern
Flashlights
Matches in waterproof container
jackets.

In addition to your list.

For hitch - see if there is a Master-Hitch dealer near you. I have them on both my Subaru's.
A friend gave me his 4-wheeler trailer - made a platform from plywood - works great.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2007 4:07 PM

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

gayle,

Check with the rental companies about a hitch. I got my last one at U-Haul but the yellow pages will have others. I once had a hitch on a Plymouth Horizon. worked great with a small trailer. Since I gave up Pick up trucks my trailer is a MUST.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I disagree. NO TRAILOR. Just tell the kids that you are going on a survival trip and have them make their needs. IE camp fire, "Lean-to" (insead of tent), collecting mosses and branches to make the ground soft. Teach them fun things like carving or cooking in the wild, let them play games with you like eco-hunts. IE lists of what is in the forest and have them find them, take a map (topo) and learn to use compass headings to find a "treasure" on the map. Have them plan a meal with what could be available and have them look for it in the wild. Of course bring meals but make them simple and then have one big treat at the end. IE Cornbread cooked in the dutch oven, Peach cobbler etc to make the highlights something to anticipate. We used to do many of these and it was facinating to 8 to 14 year olds. It is a trip that they will never forget. OH yes get a chart of the stars and heavens and look for the treasures in the heavens. Give each child a responsibility for the teaching of what ever skill and they will lay looking at the sky in wonder, finding plants, tracks, seed types etc.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

you could get a roof carrier. it will provide a little extra space for hauling stuff. actually, this is why i prefer backpacking because all that i need is going to have to fit in my backpack. when we go car camping, we tend to bring 5 times as much stuff and really don't even use it all. i have stopped packing toys for the kids because they never used them. they have a blast just playing with what nature provides them with.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have been trying to show DH that this is doable, he just didn't want to agree with me, lol. I can't wait to get back to camping again!

Now does anyone have that magic "no storms I'm in a tent with cranky kids" unrain dance?

mg

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Living in Seattle when I was raising our kids we just kept doing what ever when it rained. In those days there were no sunny days but about 20/ year. Thanks to global warming Seattle is like San Jose.

Greeley, CO(Zone 5a)

Food takes up a fair amount of space and pre made meals you buy in sporting goods stores cost a lot of money. Two books, both by Dorcas S. Miller, are for backpackers however they will help conserve space for you. "BACKCOUNTRY COOKING" from pack to plate in 10 minutes, and "MORE BACKCOUNTRY COOKING", moveable feasts from the experts. Nutritional information is provided for each meal. Best to you and your family.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I agree with jackalope. If you ditch #3 & 4 on your list by going with food geared towards backpacking rather than car camping you will free up a ton of space. Although Sofer's food suggestions are making me hungry. The magic no storm dance is to have a good quality tent that won't leak, then don't let on to the kids that you are scared. They'll sleep like rocks. That or run them silly during the day so they are beat.

I have been camping from a Corolla for years and you can do it. If I can do it with an infant with all their required accoutrements, than a 16 & 7 year old can do it. The shoe is on the other foot as we just bought a minivan and will go camping probably in May when our new baby, Natalie, should be sleeping through the night.

Willis

See, I get the best info from DG'ers!

Thank you all so much!

mg

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

willis, congrats on the new addition to your family! how old is natalie? i bet she will enjoy her first camping trip.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Congratulations PaPa! Natalie is a fortunate child to be raised with a dad with adventure. Life will always be larger for her. Well done. I used a van with my own inventions in it to take care of the immediate needs of my youngins. When it was cold she would just get between mom and dad and it was warm.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Natalie was born on Feb 6th. Just about to hit that 3 week growth spurt. I think we might go to Big Bend in May and visit some relatives in Texas. Big Bend is where I took my wife on our first date. She was hooked on me ever since :)

What kind of inventions did you have in there Sofer?

Willis

Thumbnail by willis_mckenna
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Awwww!! She is a cutie pie!!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Very few just a sliding bed it was quite variable. We used it to build forts and sleep and hide and be comfortable when we were in the rain. I could be used as a double/bunk/single bed. Remember I raised my kids before global warming and in Seattle it rained a lot. I had a sink and stove etc. In my sliding door I had a vomit pail for one of my labs Panther. She always dumped a load so I trained her to do it in a plastic pail. We always had a friendly wager and who ever got it closest to her timeof V didn't have to get up in the morning and start the van to warm it up. I felt it taught my kids responsibility by having the parents on an equal with the kids for wanting to get up in the cold. LOL

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL. that's pretty good sofer.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

she is precious, willis! newborns are so lovable. hope she is good for you and that mom and dad are getting plenty of rest. thanks for sharing the photo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images