-
AuthorContent
iagardenwolf
Ankeny, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #3140199

I'm looking for a red (could be pink but not yellow or orange or a cherry) variety for making tomato sauces with in addition to some of the other tomatoes I'm growing. When I've been making sauces, it seems like they are very thick or really runny and the water tends to separate out. I'm not sure if it's the tomatoes or the cook! I don't know if I'm adding too many roma / paste tomatoes or not. Here are the varieties I'm growing:

Opalka
Celeberty
Cheokee Purple
Red Brandywine
Viva Italia
Persimon (yellow)

Any advise or impute would be helpful!
petit_potager

January 31, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #3143513

From a cook's perspective: San Marzano is the coveted Italian import for canning, tomato paste, or puree that is often specified in authentic recipes. The finest exports will often specify that they are San Marzano. The fruit is high in pectin, this gives sauce and paste a natural thickness. The finest quality of imported, glass bottled Italian tomatoes is traditionally San Marzano. Scatalone is a refined San Marzano. San Marzano 3 is an improved indeterminate vining type variety.

The variety that is a favorite for drying is Principe Borghese. They are small thick walled tomatoes. Principe Borghese is found dried and preserved in extra virgin olive oil through out Italy and used for export.

All of the above are good yield, particularly Principe Borghese.

Bavicchi and Scafati are good Italian seed companies if you want the real deal. Or, Victory Seed has good Principe Borghese and Heirloom Seeds is also reliable domestic seed provider.
petit_potager

February 3, 2007
7:50 PM

Post #3153561

I see the author duplicated this inquiry elsewhere, and thank them for the notation informing others.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2007 1:54 PM
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

March 10, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #4644469

Roast them; they all work this way.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #4644510

Franchi Red Pear is a beefsteak-sized meaty tomato:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/163854/

Maybe too good fresh to make into sauce however.

I used a black---nyagous--for most all the sauce last year. Mainly because it was incrediblely prolific and rather bland fresh but developed a wonderful flavor when roasted. Don't know why my blacks were bland last year, most everyone else has a difference experience.

Nyagous:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3844028

glymar
Macon, GA

December 16, 2008
7:29 PM

Post #5898414

We use everything. Cherry type, roma, beefsteak, ect, ect. Put them in a 12 qt pot and cook about 10-12 hours. You can add a bit of pepper early, nothing else. Its up there, nothing even close.
zeuspaul
North San Diego Coun, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #5900036

I don't find much use for the paste tomatoes as they don't seem to have much flavor.

After running tomatoes through a strainer to remove skins and seeds I put the sauce in a stainless pressure cooker. Bring it up to 15 psi and then shut it off. Then pour the sauce into a strainer and the water runs off leaving a very thick sauce. Then add the onions and carrot puree and spices.

Zeuspaul

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America