Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jeff30103
Adairsville, GA

January 31, 2007
2:39 AM

Post #3140551

I bought a Bridal Veil plant this summer it flourished on my front porch all summer. I live in NW Georgia I brought it in for the winter (Was this Necessary?) and it is not dead it has a ton of green still on it but it looks really dry it stays in a room about 40 degrees F Is it dormant for winter or have I almost killed it?

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2007
3:18 AM

Post #3140702

Is this the plant you mean?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/64375/index.html
I searched for Bridal Veil in Plant Files, but it pulled up two plants that are definitely not commonly sold, so I think maybe you mean a bridal wreath spiraea instead? If so, you definitely don't need to bring it in for the winter, it's hardy in colder climates than yours. They lose their leaves in the winter, so my guess is that's what's happening and you haven't killed it.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2007
4:58 PM

Post #3142233

We had it growing on the back porch in Belgium. We cut it down to 3 or 4 inches each winter, and it always came back great.
peony01
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2007
5:06 PM

Post #3142259

Jeff, If your plant is bridal wreath spirea, you don't need to bring it in or prune it. In our neck of the woods it is a beloved, old time plant. Be careful about letting it dry out - it's a deciduous plant (drops its leaves during the winter), but it still needs watering, if you have it in a container. It will do great in a natural setting outdoors in the ground. Good gardening.
Ray

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2007
6:17 PM

Post #3142472

OH - at my last house i had tons of these boarding my property line. (I'm outside Chicago)
They always did great. They were planted under pine trees, so it was quite shaded.

We could cut them back, and they again grew like weeds.

and when i was a kid, we had really cold winters, lots of snow, etc and they did fine.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 31, 2007
7:12 PM

Post #3142671

In Plant Files it says Full Sun. Other than this sounds like easy to grow people have had it in their yards for years. Very pretty !
Jeff30103
Adairsville, GA

February 1, 2007
6:50 AM

Post #3144664

None of these are the plant I am talking about I do not think I looked at the picture and It looks nothing like that. It is a hanging basket and it has cascading gree foilage and tiny single white flowers that resemble a tiny Baby's Breath.. I did a google search and found the exact plant her but I do not know how to search this entire site.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2007
1:29 PM

Post #3145124

Do you have a photo of your plant, or post the link to the "googled" info. Then maybe someone will know what you have.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2007
3:12 PM

Post #3145475

Maybe it's this one? I did some googling and then found this one here. The places I found it on google called it Tradescantia instead but I think it's the same plant
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55107/
Plant Files doesn't list the hardiness, but I think this one is more tropical so you probably do need to bring it in for the winter. I don't think it's supposed to be turning brown, my guess is that the humidity in your house is way too low for it and that makes it unhappy, try misting it every day and also make sure it's not directly in the path of hot air blowing from vents.
Jeff30103
Adairsville, GA

February 4, 2007
7:05 PM

Post #3157077

YES!!!!!! Ecrane3 that is the exact post that I saw when I googled it. It is Tahitian Bridal Veil. There is no heat in the room it is in it stays about 45-55 degrees in there I never thought of misting it that could be the problem because it does look like a fern does when it needs misting.

Do you think that the fish fertilizer used for ferns would be good for it as well?

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #3157260

It's not related to ferns, but assuming that the fish fertilizer you're thinking of is something that can be used on regular plants and isn't specifically for ferns I'm sure it would be fine.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #3157976

Jeff ~ not sure what your zone is but here my Tahitian Bridal Veil has left volunteers, stems which broke off and rooted in different beds around the yard. Including in the compost pile. It dies down in winter (this winter we had quite a few nights in the low 20s) and will come back with a vengance in the spring. It is a hardy and sturdy plant, it will definitely come back in the spring... I shouldn't think it would need fertilizer. I never fertilize mine but if you want to fertilize, wait till it begins the spring growth. This link will take you to my journal page for this plant. http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/viewentry/111260/
Jeff30103
Adairsville, GA

February 6, 2007
6:17 AM

Post #3162299

Podster

Thank you very much!!! Died down is exactly a description of what mine has done. the upper layer of leaves are dry ansd brown but underneath there is a ton of green waiting to come back. Thanks again.

Jeff
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2007
11:16 AM

Post #3162432

Jeff, you can trim or break all that dry foliage off. It is a messy plant to keep in the house. That is how I got starts of it all over the yard ~ even in the compost. It is also a good plant to root starts and give to those that admire it... best wishes pod
Jeff30103
Adairsville, GA

February 12, 2007
12:02 PM

Post #3180713

podster

Thanks for the advice!!! I will keep mine in a hanging basket heaven knows I am already facing disaster with Seven Sister roses, Wisteria and mint LOL they should plant those 3 things in landfills and in no time the plants would be victorious.

Jeff
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2007
12:24 PM

Post #3180760

Jeff ~ In my soil, things are reluctant to grow. The branches of this plant are brittle and will break off and take root. It is easy to uproot so I really don't mind. Kind of have to admire a plant that is that hardy! Wisteria is beautiful for a short time each year here. I have seen it bring some huge trees to their knees though by strangulation. My mints are in contained beds or pots ~ I love them. The Seven Sister rose is not one I am familiar with... I stay away from roses as I despise thorns. Admire them and cacti from afar! Like thru the computer monitor. LOL pod
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2007
2:55 PM

Post #3184589

In my zone it would freeze it's little tush off if it was outside. I have some in the house and it is doing good sitting in a sunny window.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2007
11:37 PM

Post #3186229

Makshi ~ Does it bloom for you indoors during winter? I wonder too, is it messy? I knew a gal that said she could kill off any plant... I said boy do I have a plant for you. ; ) These are tough.
PrpleAster
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #3189576

I hate to push my way in but I was hoping since so many had info on the bridal wreath. How can I get some info on transplanting and so forth on this pretty.
Dianne
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #3189978

Dianne, you just jump in... I don't think any one here will mind. Do you want the shrub Spirea ~ commonly called bridal wreath?
PrpleAster
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2007
8:39 PM

Post #3192912

Yes Podster my grandma has one and she says that years ago when she planted it it was the right spot but now is the wrong spot. I am planning on getting over and helping her do a lot of things so I wanted to get all the info on everything she has so I don't hurt anything. On a good note she gave me some clippings to root a little while back of her 25+ year old roses. We shall see how that turns out. I am so excited.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #3197076

How exciting to get true heirloom plants from a loved one. No doubt she has had an interest in gardening and is happy to share. If her Spirea is large, it will be tough to dig up and relocate. On the other hand, the roots can be divided to make more plants. I would not cut it back until it has bloomed this spring. When you do relocate it, I think I would cut in back by at least one third. One reference book I use indicates that it can be propagated by semi hardwood cuttings taken in summer or hardwood cuttings taken in fall. I have never done cuttings, only root divisions on this plant.
That is the extent of my knowledge on these beautiful plants. Maybe some one else can contribute more info. Good luck Diane... You are blessed, enjoy the time together.
PrpleAster
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #3199647

Thank you so much. You have been a huge help. Maybe one day I can meet up with you on our many trips to TX and give you a big hug in person, but until then (((Podster)))).

Dianne
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2007
1:01 AM

Post #3200299

Dianne ~ you are welcome... best wishes for your time spent with a loved one!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America