Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Salad greens in the middle of summer...

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 148
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

February 2, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #3150180

It's the strangest things; peppers and tomatoes are wonderful in salads, but at that time of year the lettuce is unavailable. We've tried year after year to grow good greens for summer salads and the "slow bolting" varieties still end up in seed by June.

We've had good success with chards but some more variety would be great. Do ya'll have any ideas?

Dave
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 3, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #3151036

Realizing that there's quite a difference in my climate and yours, there are a few tricks that you can try if you haven't already.

There's a trick called 'Cut and Come Again' with leaf lettuce. As soon as the outer leaves get about 4 inches long, cut them off, leaving the inner leaves to grow. It's supposed to prevent the plant from thinking it's mature enough to bolt.

Also, if you plant the lettuce in the shade of taller plants, or in amongst your tomato plants, the other plants will offer the lettuce some shade when it gets hot.

Also, lots and lots of water will help also, and also help prevent the bitterness leaf lettuce sometimes takes on in the heat of summer.

As far as varieties, I've only had luck with Black Seeded Simpson and Romaine.

Hopefully someone else will have some more ideas. I'd be interested to learn more also.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #3154927

There is a great heat tolerant variety that was bred in Israel called "Jericho". I grew it for the first time last year and it really held up great in our summer weather. (I first saw it the year before at our farmers' mkt, being sold by a fellow vendor; he was gracious enough to let me in on his 'summer lettuce'!)

Johnny's Seeds also sells a variety called "Summer Crisp" (comes in both green and red) which is a smallish loose-head type (bigger than the Tom Thumb varieties but not as big as Red Sails loosehead types).

As for planting in the shade, that helps up to a certain point by keeping the direct sun off the plants but once air temperatures are consistently warm the lettuces will still bolt. (I've often thought of planting an ice cube in the hole when I set out plants but for some reason don't think that will work unless I continually side-dress with more of them. *grin)

Hope this helps.

Shoe
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2007
6:38 PM

Post #3156995

Here's a couple:

Red Orach - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1084/ Definately a hot weather substitute for spinach in the garden.

Also - and don't hit me... dandelions :) Johnny's has a red ribbed version that actually does grow nicely in containers in the shade :)

Dea
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2007
6:45 PM

Post #3157018

We've eaten the dandelions here, leaves as well as the flowers. Dea, you ever tried the Orach? I wonder what it tastes like and whether it is eaten raw or needs cooking.

Shoe
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2007
6:50 PM

Post #3157032

Yes, the Red Orach is eaten raw and tastes a bit like a cross between spinach and chickory - Thomas Jefferson grew it and when we visited Monticello some years back, it was the blistering heat of the summer and they were doing very nicely :)

http://monticellostore.stores.yahoo.net/600204.html

They also have the seeds at http://www.heirloomseeds.com/lettuce.htm - almost all the way at the bottom of the page under Orach.

Dea
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2007
2:35 AM

Post #3158331

Thanks! Just might add it to my inventory/grow-out list this year!

Shoe
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2007
10:39 PM

Post #3170427

I had a great salad garden this year.. a first for me, lol

I planted the usual romaine lettuce, a mesclum mix, buttercrunch lettuce and a marvelous red romaine lettuce.

I planted beets and 'rainbow' swiss chard too.

At picking time, every plant (including the baby beet greens and swiss chard) was pinched for a leaf or two (or three...) constant harvest kept them wondering and growing. Harvest constantly, even if you have to toss stuff onto the compost heap..

Lots of water...

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2007
9:26 PM

Post #3179164

Using sprinklers cools the air in the immediately vacinity so if you will use one on the lettuce row it will help cool it down during the summer months. A shade cloth should also help.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #3180333

Did read somewhere about using shade to cool them. Skeptical that it would make that much difference in your heat zone 8. here in MD they bolt like crazy
Got orach seed from Pinetree this year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America