Thrift Store Bedroom Decor

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

My specialty is Shopping. I love going to thrift stores. You just never know what kind of treasures you will find.

Both my father and my father in law were overseas in the Air Force 30+ years ago. Both of them brought back nice things from the Philipines and Japan. Several years ago I began collecting things that would compliment some of these items.

Here is our master bedroom.

Pillows on the bed (front to back):
Asian Pillow - Goodwill - 99 cents
Black & White Pillow Cases - Goodwill - 99 cents each
Red Dragon Pillows - hand made by me with half off fabric from a store closing sale Less than 10$ total (including 2 waybigo pillows from Goodwill)
Big Paisley Pillows with Black Trim - Goodwill $2.99 both cases, $2.99 both pillows (found same day)
Flannel King Pillow Cases (we use these) Goodwill - 99 cents each
Center Back Pillow & Pillows on the little "fainting couch" - Came from the Philipines

Rust Duvet - Goodwill $6.99

Fainting Couch - Salvation Army - $10
Rust Colored Valance - used as slip cover - Goodwill - 99 Cents

Painting over the bed - Treasure House $15.00

Copper/Brass Shield - Treasure House - $25.00 (Had an original art certificate with price of $450 on the back of it)

Curtains - Handmade by me. Same store closing sale - Fabric & trim - less than $12.00

More of the room and close-ups of treasures will follow.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The 2 photos in this picture came from the Phililpines. Hubby painted the frames a glossy black.

The fan on the left side came from the Treasures House for $5.00
The Grasshopper candle holder from Ross for Less - $13.00
The big bowl with potpourri - Goodwill @2.99
The Gargoyle - Goodwill $2.99
Bamboo above the window is 3 pieces wrapped together. I bought 2 sets of these at a garage sale for $5.00

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The mirror on the wall came from Goodwill - $24.99
The blanket - Goodwill - $2.99 on the bamboo shelves - 12.99 (Those shelves hold the extra pillows at night while we sleep)
Jewelry Box - Goodwill - $14.99
Brass Candle Holder - Goodwill $1.99
Glass Scene Trifold - Goodwill $2.99
"Little Gods" in front of the trifold screen - My Dad brought back from Japan
Ceramic Geisha Doll -Goodwill $6.99

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Here are some close-ups

The Pillows

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Painting over the bed

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The Copper Shield

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Grasshopper

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Gargoyle

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

One of the Paintings over the Chest of Drawers.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The Curtains. The bamboo shade behind also came from Treasure House for $8.00.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I found these 2 bamboo candle holders at Goodwill for 99 cents each. The candle holder under them also came from Goodwill $1.99. I happened to find another of those months later that was very similar, so now both of the bamboo holders sit on the ceramic holders.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The bamboo shelf and blanket. I love that blanket to nap with.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Jewelry Box

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Another shot of the jewelry box and the brass candle holder.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The Ceramic Geisha Doll

along with a few other figurines.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The big bowl of potpourri. The red metal charger and the bamboo mat also came from Goodwill.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The Little gods and the trifold screen.

When I was a little girl, our neighbor always referred to those little men as Little gods. I just loved to play with them.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The fan, sitting inside of a ceramic vase, sitting on a ceramic pedastal. The vase and pedastal came from Goodwill. I haven't found a great place to hang the fan so that it is fanned out yet.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The ceiling Fan pull chain that I beaded.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The tops of the curtains

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Since all of those photos were taken last week, I found the geisha doll that my Dad brought back from Japan in a closet. The glass case needs some repair, but I thought she'd look much prettier on the chest of drawers than that big bowl of potpourri.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Here she is up close. A friend will cut the glass for the case (hopefully this coming week).

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The red bamboo in the corner is something that I picked up at Hobby Lobby when they were half off. I bought 4 of them. I'm hoping to figure out a way to hang them in the corners of the room.

I'll post another photo when I get that done.

That's it. I just thought I'd share my room with you folks who "turn up your nose at shopping at the thrift stores"! HAHAHA

Yeah, I'm cheap! I can't stand to go to the mall. So sue me! HAHAHAHA (I AM just kidding here. You can't always hear the kidding in the typed word.)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

You have a good eye!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Darius! I like to think so. But truth be told, I just happen to be in the right place at the right time. I guess that comes from ALWAYS finding an excuse to hit up the Goodwills and Thrift stores in our area.

Our Goodwill has a Customer Value Card, which my sister Connie and I call our Get Outta Goodwill Free card. We never leave home without it. For every $15 you spend, they stamp your card. When you have 10 stamps on the card, you get $15 in merchandise - hence the name "Get Outta Goodwill Free". I've turned in MANY of those Get Outta Goodwill Free cards over the past 15 years since they started doing that. :-)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

When I lived in Atlanta I decorated over a 2 year period with yard sale, moving sale and thrift store items. The new owners came over just as the house was empty and the movers leaving. The bride burst into tears saying, "I want it like it WAS!"

All the yard sales and thrift stores in this area only have used baby items. Sigh.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

We get a pretty good selection of home decor in our area. There are 4-5 Goodwill stores and several nice thrift stores. I don't usually do garage sales because I prefer to sleep later and by the time I get up and remember that I could be garage saling, most of the good stuff is gone. Besides that, I feel almost guilty if I don't buy ANYTHING at a garage sale. Not so with Goodwill, etc.

The good thing about shopping at Goodwill, etc. is that no matter when you go, there is always something "new" to check out. Certain days they have good sales too. Sunday and Monday, certain colored tags are 50 cents. On Tuesdays, housewares, etc. with green (or pink on alternate weeks) tags are 29 cents. Can't beat that with a stick!

Janet

(Zone 1)

Beautiful Janet! That Oriental Fan you have sitting in the ceramic vase would look awesome hanging on the wall!

You and your sister are so creative and talented! Wish you could channel some of that creativity my way! LOL.

Oh .... and I would LOVE to come to Texas and shop with you! I love to shop at the mall too, but I REALLY love bargains and thrift stores!

Great Job! Now, you just need a couple of vases with bamboo growing and a water feature ( just a little fountain of some sort ) in the room!

Lin

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Lin for your kind words. I have bamboo growing, though it's not at it's best at the moment. It's inside the house and anytime I bring ANY plant into the house, it gets neglected from me forgetting to water it. My bamboo will get cleaned up soon and be put back outside. I never have a problem watering things when it's not bitterly cold. At the moment, God is taking care of watering all of my plants. I haven't watered anything since about the middle of November when I put plastic all around my deck in the back.

As for the fountain, I have plenty of those, but don't really like the fountains in the bedroom. I tried different fountains for a while and they just never got turned on.

Here is one of them on my deck that would be PERFECT for that room.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

When they did get turned on, water splashed onto the surface of the chest of drawers and would have made a horrible mess had I not noticed it.

Here's another one that WOULD be perfect in there.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Most of the fountains that I have came from Goodwill or the Treasure House. I can have as many as I want outside. :-)

Edited to add: This copper fountain came from Goodwill. The cedar frame behind it was built by my hubby. He sealed it and it still looks just as good.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2007 9:12 PM

(Zone 1)

What is Treasure House? Is that a thrift store in your area?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes. It's put on by the folks from St. Mark's Church. They've been around at least 25 years that I've been "galivanting". (That's what Connie and I call thrift store shopping. Either galivanting, or spending money frivolously! HAHAHAHA)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I am always looking for things to decorate with. I buy waybigo vases and make lighted floral displays. The vase was $4.99 from GW. The flowers were from my daughter's wedding. I spent over $150 in silk flowers (and that was half off) to decorate for her wedding. This bouquet was made from the flowers I kept afterward. I wrapped tiny white Christmas lights around the stems of the flowers. Then stuffed the remaining lights down in the bottom of the vase. This photo shows the daytime view.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is the night time view.

(Zone 1)

Very pretty! What a great idea .... hmmmmm .... I've got a vase that I think I might have to try that with! Does the electrical cord get in the way?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

No, I leave enough hanging out the back to plug it into the wall. I keep that one lit all the time. It's been moved to my front room and provides a nice night light in that seldom used room.

I love decorating with lights. I have a lot of flower garlands that are above my windows. They are all lit and stay lit all year long.

The lights above the window aren't lit in this photo, but you can get a general idea of what I mean. This is what the bedroom looked like BEFORE I re-decorated it with the Far East theme.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

This photo happened to be at Christmas time. You can see how the lights are lit over the windows in the dining room and the family room. The tree came down, but these provide nice soft light in the room we watch TV in.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I like to watch for half off on those garlands. Certain times of the year, the hobby and plant stores put them half off. If I like the flowers, I'll FIND a window to hang lights over! HAHAHAHA

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Wonderful treasures and you've put them together beautifully. My favorite is the ceramic Geisha doll. She's just lovely. I see a little Treasure Craft menehune there next to her on the right. I was in the antiquing business dealing mainly in Hawaiiana for a few years and I'd know that little guy anywhere. Funny, I spent years and years collecting stuff for the house and now when I go to the thrift stores I only look for stuff for the garden. Didn't have a garden for 20 years and now that's all I'm interested in. Your place looks great.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.