-
AuthorContent
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #3156421

My specialty is Shopping. I love going to thrift stores. You just never know what kind of treasures you will find.

Both my father and my father in law were overseas in the Air Force 30+ years ago. Both of them brought back nice things from the Philipines and Japan. Several years ago I began collecting things that would compliment some of these items.

Here is our master bedroom.

Pillows on the bed (front to back):
Asian Pillow - Goodwill - 99 cents
Black & White Pillow Cases - Goodwill - 99 cents each
Red Dragon Pillows - hand made by me with half off fabric from a store closing sale Less than 10$ total (including 2 waybigo pillows from Goodwill)
Big Paisley Pillows with Black Trim - Goodwill $2.99 both cases, $2.99 both pillows (found same day)
Flannel King Pillow Cases (we use these) Goodwill - 99 cents each
Center Back Pillow & Pillows on the little "fainting couch" - Came from the Philipines

Rust Duvet - Goodwill $6.99

Fainting Couch - Salvation Army - $10
Rust Colored Valance - used as slip cover - Goodwill - 99 Cents

Painting over the bed - Treasure House $15.00

Copper/Brass Shield - Treasure House - $25.00 (Had an original art certificate with price of $450 on the back of it)

Curtains - Handmade by me. Same store closing sale - Fabric & trim - less than $12.00

More of the room and close-ups of treasures will follow.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Click the image for an enlarged view.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:15 PM

Post #3156433

The 2 photos in this picture came from the Phililpines. Hubby painted the frames a glossy black.

The fan on the left side came from the Treasures House for $5.00
The Grasshopper candle holder from Ross for Less - $13.00
The big bowl with potpourri - Goodwill @2.99
The Gargoyle - Goodwill $2.99
Bamboo above the window is 3 pieces wrapped together. I bought 2 sets of these at a garage sale for $5.00

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #3156447

The mirror on the wall came from Goodwill - $24.99
The blanket - Goodwill - $2.99 on the bamboo shelves - 12.99 (Those shelves hold the extra pillows at night while we sleep)
Jewelry Box - Goodwill - $14.99
Brass Candle Holder - Goodwill $1.99
Glass Scene Trifold - Goodwill $2.99
"Little Gods" in front of the trifold screen - My Dad brought back from Japan
Ceramic Geisha Doll -Goodwill $6.99

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:22 PM

Post #3156461

Here are some close-ups

The Pillows

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #3156468

Painting over the bed

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007

Post #3156471

The Copper Shield

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #3156472

Grasshopper

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #3156475

Gargoyle

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:26 PM

Post #3156478

One of the Paintings over the Chest of Drawers.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:28 PM

Post #3156484

The Curtains. The bamboo shade behind also came from Treasure House for $8.00.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #3156494

I found these 2 bamboo candle holders at Goodwill for 99 cents each. The candle holder under them also came from Goodwill $1.99. I happened to find another of those months later that was very similar, so now both of the bamboo holders sit on the ceramic holders.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #3156499

The bamboo shelf and blanket. I love that blanket to nap with.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:32 PM

Post #3156503

Jewelry Box

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:32 PM

Post #3156506

Another shot of the jewelry box and the brass candle holder.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:33 PM

Post #3156509

The Ceramic Geisha Doll

along with a few other figurines.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #3156514

The big bowl of potpourri. The red metal charger and the bamboo mat also came from Goodwill.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:37 PM

Post #3156524

The Little gods and the trifold screen.

When I was a little girl, our neighbor always referred to those little men as Little gods. I just loved to play with them.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:38 PM

Post #3156529

The fan, sitting inside of a ceramic vase, sitting on a ceramic pedastal. The vase and pedastal came from Goodwill. I haven't found a great place to hang the fan so that it is fanned out yet.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:40 PM

Post #3156535

The ceiling Fan pull chain that I beaded.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:41 PM

Post #3156539

The tops of the curtains

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #3156545

Since all of those photos were taken last week, I found the geisha doll that my Dad brought back from Japan in a closet. The glass case needs some repair, but I thought she'd look much prettier on the chest of drawers than that big bowl of potpourri.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:43 PM

Post #3156548

Here she is up close. A friend will cut the glass for the case (hopefully this coming week).

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3156558

The red bamboo in the corner is something that I picked up at Hobby Lobby when they were half off. I bought 4 of them. I'm hoping to figure out a way to hang them in the corners of the room.

I'll post another photo when I get that done.

That's it. I just thought I'd share my room with you folks who "turn up your nose at shopping at the thrift stores"! HAHAHA

Yeah, I'm cheap! I can't stand to go to the mall. So sue me! HAHAHAHA (I AM just kidding here. You can't always hear the kidding in the typed word.)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2007
4:59 PM

Post #3156621

You have a good eye!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #3156644

Thanks Darius! I like to think so. But truth be told, I just happen to be in the right place at the right time. I guess that comes from ALWAYS finding an excuse to hit up the Goodwills and Thrift stores in our area.

Our Goodwill has a Customer Value Card, which my sister Connie and I call our Get Outta Goodwill Free card. We never leave home without it. For every $15 you spend, they stamp your card. When you have 10 stamps on the card, you get $15 in merchandise - hence the name "Get Outta Goodwill Free". I've turned in MANY of those Get Outta Goodwill Free cards over the past 15 years since they started doing that. :-)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2007
5:14 PM

Post #3156683

When I lived in Atlanta I decorated over a 2 year period with yard sale, moving sale and thrift store items. The new owners came over just as the house was empty and the movers leaving. The bride burst into tears saying, "I want it like it WAS!"

All the yard sales and thrift stores in this area only have used baby items. Sigh.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2007
5:45 PM

Post #3156790

We get a pretty good selection of home decor in our area. There are 4-5 Goodwill stores and several nice thrift stores. I don't usually do garage sales because I prefer to sleep later and by the time I get up and remember that I could be garage saling, most of the good stuff is gone. Besides that, I feel almost guilty if I don't buy ANYTHING at a garage sale. Not so with Goodwill, etc.

The good thing about shopping at Goodwill, etc. is that no matter when you go, there is always something "new" to check out. Certain days they have good sales too. Sunday and Monday, certain colored tags are 50 cents. On Tuesdays, housewares, etc. with green (or pink on alternate weeks) tags are 29 cents. Can't beat that with a stick!

Janet
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #3158185

Beautiful Janet! That Oriental Fan you have sitting in the ceramic vase would look awesome hanging on the wall!

You and your sister are so creative and talented! Wish you could channel some of that creativity my way! LOL.

Oh ... and I would LOVE to come to Texas and shop with you! I love to shop at the mall too, but I REALLY love bargains and thrift stores!

Great Job! Now, you just need a couple of vases with bamboo growing and a water feature ( just a little fountain of some sort ) in the room!

Lin
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
2:07 AM

Post #3158250

Thanks Lin for your kind words. I have bamboo growing, though it's not at it's best at the moment. It's inside the house and anytime I bring ANY plant into the house, it gets neglected from me forgetting to water it. My bamboo will get cleaned up soon and be put back outside. I never have a problem watering things when it's not bitterly cold. At the moment, God is taking care of watering all of my plants. I haven't watered anything since about the middle of November when I put plastic all around my deck in the back.

As for the fountain, I have plenty of those, but don't really like the fountains in the bedroom. I tried different fountains for a while and they just never got turned on.

Here is one of them on my deck that would be PERFECT for that room.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #3158257

When they did get turned on, water splashed onto the surface of the chest of drawers and would have made a horrible mess had I not noticed it.

Here's another one that WOULD be perfect in there.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #3158263

Most of the fountains that I have came from Goodwill or the Treasure House. I can have as many as I want outside. :-)

Edited to add: This copper fountain came from Goodwill. The cedar frame behind it was built by my hubby. He sealed it and it still looks just as good.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2007 9:12 PM

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #3158270

What is Treasure House? Is that a thrift store in your area?
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #3158277

Yes. It's put on by the folks from St. Mark's Church. They've been around at least 25 years that I've been "galivanting". (That's what Connie and I call thrift store shopping. Either galivanting, or spending money frivolously! HAHAHAHA)
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
2:24 AM

Post #3158304

I am always looking for things to decorate with. I buy waybigo vases and make lighted floral displays. The vase was $4.99 from GW. The flowers were from my daughter's wedding. I spent over $150 in silk flowers (and that was half off) to decorate for her wedding. This bouquet was made from the flowers I kept afterward. I wrapped tiny white Christmas lights around the stems of the flowers. Then stuffed the remaining lights down in the bottom of the vase. This photo shows the daytime view.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #3158308

Here is the night time view.

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2007
2:28 AM

Post #3158312

Very pretty! What a great idea ... hmmmmm ... I've got a vase that I think I might have to try that with! Does the electrical cord get in the way?
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
2:33 AM

Post #3158326

No, I leave enough hanging out the back to plug it into the wall. I keep that one lit all the time. It's been moved to my front room and provides a nice night light in that seldom used room.

I love decorating with lights. I have a lot of flower garlands that are above my windows. They are all lit and stay lit all year long.

The lights above the window aren't lit in this photo, but you can get a general idea of what I mean. This is what the bedroom looked like BEFORE I re-decorated it with the Far East theme.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
2:36 AM

Post #3158335

This photo happened to be at Christmas time. You can see how the lights are lit over the windows in the dining room and the family room. The tree came down, but these provide nice soft light in the room we watch TV in.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #3158337

I like to watch for half off on those garlands. Certain times of the year, the hobby and plant stores put them half off. If I like the flowers, I'll FIND a window to hang lights over! HAHAHAHA
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2007
2:40 AM

Post #3158348

Wonderful treasures and you've put them together beautifully. My favorite is the ceramic Geisha doll. She's just lovely. I see a little Treasure Craft menehune there next to her on the right. I was in the antiquing business dealing mainly in Hawaiiana for a few years and I'd know that little guy anywhere. Funny, I spent years and years collecting stuff for the house and now when I go to the thrift stores I only look for stuff for the garden. Didn't have a garden for 20 years and now that's all I'm interested in. Your place looks great.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #3158406

Thank you Stella! Many of the treasures I acquire, I never know the history of. I'm glad to know this tidbit about that little fella. I just thought he was adorable.

Believe me, I look for gardening stuff too. Though I don't need any clothes, I sometimes look for them too. God has richly blessed me by putting things there in the stores that I manage to "NEED"!

Not long ago, I was going to sell a McCoy cobalt blue butter dish on eBay. I took photos and watched the one that was at that time currently running. It sold for $51. I paid $1.99 for mine a few weeks before that at Goodwill. I was editing the photos and my youngest daughter Hillary was telling me something. She saw what I was editing and said, Mom we've had that in our family for YEARS! (This from the child that has a memory like you wouldn't believe, but has absolutely no concept of decorating.) I looked at her and said, "Oh really?" She said, yea mom, you shouldn't sell that.

I thought about it and decided NOT to sell the butter dish. Little did I know that I'd collect so many cobalt blue dishes over the next 2 years. I still use that butter dish. :-) Sometimes our kids may not "sound" like they know what they are talking about, but they surprise us in the end. I'm really thankful that I didn't sell it now. :-)

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2007
3:43 AM

Post #3158573

That would be my downfall, dishes. I have partial sets of at least (needed to think and count here) seven different patterns. When I finally decided to eBay some of the things I absolutely do not use nor need (you know the squatty little cups that are worthless, lol?) my sister reminded me that I had willed that set to my niece (her daughter) Megan and that she might want to keep those. So...here they are, worthless and taking up space. Then there are the pieces that I have nothing to match but I use every day because of their function. The extra-large restaurant soup plates in a banana leaf pattern are a good example. I could get over $100 each for them but I can't find them in the patterns I really want and I'm not willing to live without them for my own use. What's a girl to do. Love your cobalt McCoy butterdish!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
3:59 AM

Post #3158603

I'm forever buying partial sets of dishes too, just because the price is right and I like them. I have several sets of beautiful glasses that we only use on holiday occasions when the whole family gets together. Isn't that a shame! I used to have a massive collection of coffee cups. We are getting ready to do a major remodel in my kitchen from the floor to the ceiling, including new cabinets and appliances. My PLAN is to have a place for everything. I've weeded through much of my kitchen stuff and boxed up ONLY what I am planning to keep. My girls have been given lots of my old dishes to start their houses with. I'll be dern if I'll keep them until I die for them. I told them, If they want them, come and get 'em! HAHAHA

It's funny about the thrift store shopping. Connie and I can be just about any where in town and be doing errands. Inevitably, one of us will say, "We might as well hit up (such and such- insert Goodwill or Treasure House) since we are right down the road." Yes, we're addicted, but we both can think of much more expensive habits to have. :-) She's into 40's & 50's antiques and I'm more of the modern kinda gal. :-)

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2007
3:58 PM

Post #3159840

Boy would Connie love my place. I have mostly 30s-40s, some 20s and some 50s stuff.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
5:12 PM

Post #3160084

I'll have to get her to post some of her thrift store finds in this thread so you can see her antiques. This will give you an idea of her house. She's always finding cool things and restoring them.

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2007
5:41 PM

Post #3160178

Here's a shot of my dining room.

Thumbnail by stellapathic

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #3160219

Love those chairs! The artwork is great too!

I have just invited Connie to this thread. Hopefully she will show up here and post more photos.

I have my grandbaby here today. Trying to get her to take a nap now. Be back later on.

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2007
6:32 PM

Post #3160338

The table and chairs are dated 1951 and I got them on eBay, in the original box, pretty much unused. They are folding a card table and chairs and highly prized in the hawaiiana world, I guess for the leaf pattern on the backs of the chairs. The art work is probably from the mid 40s and I've never seen others like them, though only two came together and within a week I found the third many, many miles away. Funny how that happens. All 15 years of hunting and those are the only 3 I've ever seen. I'd love to see more of Connie's stuff. I love the pieces she has, especially the old scale.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3160371

She must be tinting a car today. She has a window tint business.

Let me see what else I can post for you to "drool" over! HAHAHAHA

This photo was taken in 1988. This is her kitchen. All of her appliances work. Drinks are kept in the fridge. I don't DARE light her stove when I go to visit. But Connie has put out some fabulous meals on that old stove.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
6:44 PM

Post #3160387

I hope she has some more current photos. Here's one of the other side of her dining room.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
6:45 PM

Post #3160392

I found another photos of the scale. The phone on the little table does work!

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2007
7:34 PM

Post #3160504

Oh how I envy that fridge! I need to look in another hard drive for more pics of my kitchen stuff. I have a water cooler that would look great with her stuff.
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

February 5, 2007
10:22 PM

Post #3161066

No I don't mind Janet. :) Stella I had the same thing happen with some coffee tables. They are Lane and not identical but evident;y from a set of some sort all having the same inlaid degign on the top. I found one at the downtown Goodwill and refinished it. Months later I found a mate not exactly but the same design and nearly a year after that at a different Goodwill I found the third. Not too long ago I saw another one but I passed. How many do I need????

Thumbnail by maidentheshade

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2007
10:33 PM

Post #3161093

Greetings Connie! It's about time you got here! HAHAHAHA

Connie has covered all of the chairs in the above photo with coats and jackets from Goodwill.

You need to take a photo of that leather couch. I remember when you practically hyperventilated when you found it.
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

February 5, 2007
10:34 PM

Post #3161097

I gave 50 bucks for the fridge. I'd have given a weeks pay if they'd wanted it. I happened to work at an Air Conditioning Company at the time so the service guys were thrilled to take a look at it for me. Needed a little freon. It works great! Had to be defrosted of course so I solved that problem by putting a pan under the tiny freezer and have it on a timer to go off for an hour a couple times a day. Now I just have to remember to empty that little pan once a week. Then some friends who saw it said they knew where a stove to match was that had come out of an old rent house when they remodeled, When I saw it sitting on the back porch and I thought I would hyperventilate. Remember how I was when I found that leather sofa at Goodwill Janet???

maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

February 5, 2007
10:36 PM

Post #3161102

Yes you do remember:)

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2007
10:38 PM

Post #3161106

Connie, that's so cool that you do all that work. I used to, but because I was in the business, I got really burned out and got to the point where if it didn't come to me sellable, I just let it go. It used to give me anxiety to see all the stuff that I thought I was going to get done and, for lack of time, didn't. And, again because I was in the business, I was able to constantly upgrade the things I kept until almost everything is in original, pretty good if not pristine, condition. I'm mucking about reading DG when I should be working. When I'm finished with work I'll find some shots of my stuff.
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #3161113

That couch looks mighty inviting about now. I'm very burned out from work today and would love to curl up there for a long nap. Whipping myself back to work instead.
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

February 5, 2007
10:44 PM

Post #3161119

One piece at a time it was and still is fun. I can imagine how overwhelming it would be. But to have a constant supply ! How wonderful. Mine are not perfect and I never intend to sell them they are just for me so I do what I what without worrying if I devalue something. Those who are left behind me will worry about that. I have fun and am happy when I have a project to work on. I have a huge one I am working on now that is nearly over so I already have the gears turning on what I want to do next. I just wish I could do my thing and not have to earn a living.

When I find something now I really need to decide what do I want to replace with it. I don't need any more furniture so something has to go. Some things I will always have and others are temporary till the right thing comes along.
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2007
11:13 PM

Post #3161215

Absolutely. I do exactly the same. If I get to keep a piece it has to replace something else. I just plain have too much. I especially have a weakness for lamps and rugs.
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #3165049

Janet, it's good to see that there are others in different parts of the country that love to thrift shop! My mother in law calls goodwill her 'doctor' and she gets sick and needs to visit often! Her son (my hubby) knows where every thrift store in town is. When he finds a new one, we have to hit it! I think it's neat how you need something and you always end up finding it and not having to pay full price for it. When we go visit my dad we hit all the thrift stores there too. I love your butter dish! I have 2, both McCoy, one is brown and the other is brown drip. Your decorating talent is wonderful! I love your bedroom and I bet you feel a sense of accomplishment every time you walk in the door.
Connie, all of your antiques are right up my alley, especially the black americana and old kitchen utensils. I would love to have an old stove and refrigerator like yours. Can you tell me what is growing in the glass jug? I saved one like that but haven't done anything with it yet. Was thinking about painting it.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful homes with us. Don't want to get yall in trouble, but goodwill has an auction site too! LOL
Susan
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

February 7, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3165080

Susan, It's just a variegated pothos ivy. I hoped it was a giant variety that a friend gave me a piece of. Her's was HUGE! but it must not be. I found that bottle at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Someone had cut a hole in the side of the upper roll towards the top and I found a small piece of stained glass that fits perfectly in the hole. It had been a lamp. But the hole really made it easy to plant in it. The rattlesnake cane belonged to my sister. I have a picture of it a little closer.

We know about the GW site. It kinda makes me mad that they save all the good stuff for the auction.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2007
2:19 AM

Post #3165138

Susan, it's funny that you mention GW as the Doctor. Sometimes I just feel like I need a "fix" and I can just walk in the store... and feel much better. I don't HAVE to buy anything at all, though I usually do. It's very rare for me to come out empty handed. I've redeemed many a Get Outta Goodwill Free Cards. The gals at GW know Connie and I well enough that they let us combine our purchases for a stamp if neither of us has enough for one.

Connie those jeans look great!

Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2007
12:13 PM

Post #3165817

I am the same way. I think it's called 'retail therapy'. It sure does work! Hey, I wish they had the Goodwill cards here. We asked someone once and the only thing they had similar was for the people working in corporate.
I never leave the store empty handed! You would not believe some of the stuff that people donate. My house is full of it and so is my MIL's. There are 3 stores within 15 minutes of our house and 2 or 3 more in the bigger cities. Some of the GW gals give us deals because we are regulars. I got a box full, most of a set, of McCoy dishes for $6. All I need is the butter dish but I couldn't bring myself to pay $10 for one. LOL!!
My camera has been sent off for repairs, but I'll show you some old pics. The butter dishes and milk jug canisters are both McCoy. Salt/pepper, candleholder and tins all courtesy of GW.
Susan

Thumbnail by Raggedyann

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2007
1:03 PM

Post #3168945

Hi Susan,

Those are awesome! It never ceases to amaze me the things that folks donate to the thrift stores. Not for one minute! I don't know if it's things that folks get tired of, or have inherited that just don't fit in their decor, or what. But hey... don't think I'm complaining.

A year ago, or was it 2, Goodwill opened a new store right across the road from the Mall. Opening day, they had all kinds of door prizes. That store was so packed with people. Not shoppers, so much as Goodwill executives. I spent 45 minutes in the store excusing myself around the groups of bigwigs while trying to look at the new treasures. It wasn't a pleasant experience. I left that day empty handed and spoke to another group of 4-5 execs at the front door. I told them that if they'd get half of THEIR people to get out of the way, it would be a much more enjoyable shopping experience. I went back later that day. There were only a few execs in the store then. Much better. That store has become one of my favorites to shop in. The "upper class" folks usually donate their stuff. I am supposing here, but I figure they are getting rid of stuff so they can go across the street to the mall to buy MORE stuff.

Good things come to those who wait. Patience is the name of the game when it comes to thrift store shopping. I have plenty of patience. :-)

I bought this box of apple stuff one day for next to nothing. It would have gone great with your apple wallpaper. I eventually ended up selling it on eBay.

Janet

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2007
4:44 PM

Post #3169591

What a bad, bad influence you girls are! Yesterday, while out and about I just HAD to stop at "Love Me Two Times," a new thrift here in town. I haven't stepped foot in a thrift for probably five years. I don't need anything, don't want anything, but I just had to look because you got me in the mood again. This is a bit of a froo froo shop. The really good things were as expensive as an antique shop. They had a really cool old small stove, probably from the 40s but wanted I think $500 for it. The only thing that tempted me were four panels of long velvet drapes in a chamois color for $25. I may just go back and get them, though I have no use for them in this house. They would have looked great in my bedroom at my last place, though, and I plan on painting one of my rooms that color in a future place (this thinking is how I accumulate waaay too much stuff BTW). Here's a shot of that bedroom with one of the chairs from my 30s set. The other two pieces, low-back chair and couch, are deep red. See the color of the walls? That was the color of the drapes.

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2007
4:45 PM

Post #3169596

And a few items from the kitchen.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2007
1:33 AM

Post #3170862

Ya know, the way I look at it... sometimes it's cheaper to buy the panels at the Thrift Store. Even if I'm not going to use the fabric as drapes/curtains. Fabric isn't cheap. But panels at Goodwill usually are. My daughter makes quilts and really adorable children's One of a Kind outfits. Sometimes you have to "look outside of the box". I believe most thrift store shoppers are recyclers at heart. That fabric in the panels would look fantastic in the room, whether on the walls, or on the chair. There'd be enough to do all kinds of things.

I figure God puts wonderful things in my path. It's up to me to find them and use them to make ME happy.

Yeah, I'm Janet. I have a Goodwill Habit. I'm a Thrift-a-holic. I just can't stay away!

Just today, I had to go pick up the grandbabies from pre-school at 2pm. I worked here until noon thirty. After lunch, I decided that I could work another half an hour or so, or stop by Goodwill for a few minutes. It's on the way to the Pre-school. I had to pick up a prescription for my daughter on the way. She had a wisdom tooth cut out 2 days ago. I've had at least 1 grandbaby every day this week for most of the day. So I drop off the RX to Jen and head to GW. I've got only a few minutes. I managed to hit all of my favorite areas. I found a cool pair of cargo jeans, brand new with the tags for $9.99. Jeans are usually 4.99 (unless on Sun or Mon when if you get the right color tag they are 50 cents.) I love those cargo style jeans. So comfortable! I also found 2 of the cutest washing mittens with characters sewn into the fingertips. Cute Cute Cute! The GB's loved them when I gave them their bath tonight. Definitely worth the $1.50 I paid for them both. I'll get a photo of them tomorrow to show you how cute they are.

BTW, I made some soap this morning. It's got Bergamot, Amber Romance and Leather for fragrances. Oh Man it smells like a harem! I made a bunch, so if anyone would like a bar, dmail me with your address and I'll send you one. It can't be used for think it's 21 days. I'll check on the soap forum to be sure.

G'Night Folks!
It's been a long night already and it's time for Calgon to take me away for a while to Ireland (that's where my book is "located").

Janet
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 9, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #3171061

Watcha reading Janet? I'm in the Congo at the moment with Barbara Kingsolver in "The Poisonwood Bible," which I've read a few times but I always love her stuff and they're the few books that are keepers. There's a character, Rachel, 17, with perfect skin and platinum blond hair and a brain to match. Two of my favorite quotes from her are, when the chief in the village decides he'll take her as another of his wives: "I'll just tell him that we Americans have a perfectly good type of marriage and that's called MONOTONY." And, when she sees the native women walking around bare-breasted she says "I wouldn't do that for all the trees in China."

I'm a reader from way back. Never quite connected with the TV thing and haven't had one in a house I've lived in since 1968, when I left my childhood home. If I end up in front of a TV I can't see anything but something Rachel might relate to. I'd love to hear what you're reading and enjoying. If you think God puts wonderful things in your path and say noon thirty (I say late o'clock) then we're simpatico for sure. Now I'm intrigued by which of the Irish stories I've read that you may be reading. And, even though I have no idea what I'm going to do with those panels, I'll probably go get them in the morning. Here, you're a reader, so maybe you like the spoken word too...there's a program on one of my favorite stations that starts in 1/2 hour from now. Hmmmm, I'm thinking that's probably 10:30 pm your time, right? Anyway, please check out "The Road Home." http://www.ckua.org/
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #3171090

WHEN you go back tomorrow and they are still there, you'll know they were meant just for YOU! :-)

I'm heading to bed after I post this. The book I'm reading is called Sushi for Beginners. It's by Marian Keyes. Uncorrected Proof. I found it at Goodwill for 89 cents. This is the first book by her that I've read. It's not a bad book, but I don't think I'd put it up there with my favs. There are 3 women to the story and they're all going through some pretty emotional things. I like more of an upbeat story myself. I don't care for perfect characters. There are a few in this book.

I don't watch much TV myself either. I get more out of reading than I do sitting there twiddling my toes in the recliner. I suppose that's why I enjoy Dave's so much. There's always something interesting or fun to read about here.

I usually read several books a week. I'm a big Nora Roberts/J D Robb fan. I've read 99% of what she's written. I love LaVyrle Spencer. She's now retired and I read Every single one of her books. She's the only author that I have ever read the SAME 20-25 books over, just for a LaVyrle "fix". Jude Devereaux, and Sandra Brown and on the top of my list also. There are others, but my brain is already starting the shut down process for the night. I'd love to watch the show, but don't think the eyelids will stay up much longer. :-)

Janet

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 9, 2007
3:31 AM

Post #3171108

1) There's no "watch" to Road Home, it's a perfect thing to listen to to fall asleep. 2) I've probably most, if not all of Nora Roberts/J D Robb's stuff too and love her. 3) I thank you so much for giving me a new author to delve into. I will check out LaVyrle Spencer ASAP. You've read her stuff over and over and I've read Barbara Kingsolver, John Irving and Zora Neale Hurston, over and over and over.

OK, Road Home about to start. Do listen some night, very, very soothing.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2007
3:37 AM

Post #3171164

Lots of great "finds" on this thread!

Shortly after we moved here (about 5 years ago, new subdivision), I was at a neighborhood gathering, and the subject of home decor came up... one person said they were into "country casual," another said she wanted to do her kitchen in "french provincial," yet another was furnishing with "contemporary, maybe a bit of retro in the mix," etc... somebody turned to me and asked what my decorating style was... I said, "Monday night auction!" Absolutely true, and I got some wonderful pieces there before the place changed hands... but it cracked everybody up, and the conversation got a little less stilted/pretentious from that point on. LOL

Our local Goodwill is underwhelming, but there are a couple of other thrift shops that we just love, and from time to time we find an especially good yard sale too. Half the fun is in the hunt, of course... but there's a lot of satisfaction in seeing a room come together from things you've picked up here & there and combined & recombined until they worked for you!
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2007

Post #3172403

Janet, I love the apple stuff you had! Guess where the wallpaper came from? You guessed it! I have done both my bathrooms, kitchen and dining room with paper from GW. I ended up painting the dining room and got an antique table from my dad's auction buddy for $10. This man amazes me!! He goes to auctions on Thur. & Fri. night, resells some of it Sat. am or goes to yard sales and then resells at an auction on Sat. night. You wouldn't believe the goodies my dad has acquired from him.
My hubby came home last night and told me he saw a box covered with brown paper in a customers attic yesterday. He took a peek because there were cobwebs everywhere and saw old milk bottles, etc. I would have asked, after I said OOPS, I accidentally knocked the top of the box off. LOL!!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2007
5:20 PM

Post #3172608

Good Afternoon folks!

Stella, I know you will love LaVyrle's books as much as I do. Several of her books have been made into movies. If I remember right, her husband is some type of a big whig with a movie studio. I see her books at Goodwill all the time. I can't say that any particular one was a favorite. I never read anything that she wrote that I didn't go through the gamut of emotions, from laughing to crying. She really has a special way of putting the words to the paper that just makes it easy to visualize.

Critter, I too have heard folks say stuff like, My furniture is Early American, or some such. It's hard for me to not roll my eyes, but instead to just smile. I try not to be pretentious. So many of the things in my house came from one thrift store or another. You are absolutely right about half of the fun being in the "hunt".

Our sister Diana loved things from the Treasure House. She always turned her nose up at anything from Goodwill. The Treasure House is more of an upscale thrift store. When she was in the nursing home and we started having to buy clothes, etc. for her, Connie and I would find things and regardless of where they actually DID come from, we always told her they came from the Treasure House.

We really don't have any place that does auctions any more. There used to be a place that had auctions. Connie and Diana went much more often than I did. There were some really neat things there. I bought a beautiful cherrywood drop leaf table there one time. I really didn't need it and it didn't fit in with the rest of my furniture at the time. I just wanted it. My mother fell in love with it and decided that it would be perfect for her Casio Keyboard to sit on. She ended up buying it from me for what I paid - $50. I have a feeling that I'd be more likely to spend much "Bigger" money at an auction than what I do at the thrift stores. We have several really nice second hand stores, but a lot of them want prices like you'd find at a retail store. I avoid them when I realize that, or just go look around for ideas.

cici77
Banning, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #3190099

hello, uniQuetreasures, love what u did with ur bedroom!!! funny cuz i go yard saleing every weekend and that is how i decoreated my bedroom.. here is a pic of my room.. i got all those peacock feathers at a yard sale for 5.00 , the purple swag , i got 4 of those for 15.00 , the blanket on the edge of the bed, .50 , the bed frame i had before i started to yard sale... the zebra skin i had gotten seven years ago off of ebay , i got 2 of them for 65.00 , the ficus tree, 5.00 yard sale... half the pillows on the bed, .25 to 1.00 each...

Thumbnail by cici77

cici77
Banning, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2007
12:37 AM

Post #3190120

here is a pic of the peackock feathers and their i guess u would call it a vase that holds them.. i got that at marshels for 14.99 i have other pics of the rest of the room but they are not up to date.. so maybe when i make my bed tomarrow..lol( hubby slept in so i couldnt make it before i left) i can take newer pics..

Thumbnail by cici77

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #3190198

Great looking home...My favorite thrift stores are: TJ Max, Marshall's, Tuesday Morning, Target, and in Houston, there is a whole section of SW Houston of hundreds of stores of all kinds...mainly Asian people and Indian people with lots of goodies...
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #3190297

Wow! Cici, that is beautiful! You're my kinda gal!

You too Betty. There are only a few "real" stores that I don't mind going to. And then I just go to check the clearance sections. Shopping at thrift stores for as long as I have (24+ years) makes it hurt to have to pay even half price for some items. (Lord that makes me sound cheap! HAHAHA)

Betty, Connie and I get to Houston now and then and check out the one close to Federal Road. There's several really nice stores in Pasadena. We have "radar" when it comes to going out of town.

When we evacuated to San Antonio for hurricane Rita, we found a whole lot of thrift stores to pass the time for almost 3 weeks. I was thankful that Connie had her truck there to haul back all of the goodies we bought while there. We were fortunate to have our Mom's house to stay in for that time.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your room CiCI.

Anyone else have photos of their treasure rooms? I love getting ideas.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #3190316

UniQue Treasures...the best place in Houston that I was referring to for bargains is off of Hillcroft near the SW freeway or actually the West Belt Loop...there are literally so many places up and down Harwin street, you can't cover it in two days!!!!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #3190442

I went there one time with my boss. There was some business thing going on there and I ended up having to drive her around before taking her home. You are right, there ARE a lot of shops there. I bought all kinds of beads etc there when I first started making jewelry.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2007
2:06 PM

Post #3191541

Betty,

I just saw your home on the "wall color" thread. Absolutely beautiful!

Janet
DianeinFL
Wimauma, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2007
3:32 PM

Post #3191814

Great thread!

Thrift store shopping is such a rush - it is really hard for me to go into regular stores and buy things when I know they will show up for a lot less at the local thrift stores.

It is a bit embarrassing, though - since I have been shopping thrift stores for so long... I now want the items to be the sale items at the thrift stores. The "bag of clothes for $5" makes it hard to spend the few dollars per item on other days! It's also a great place if you are a crafter. I buy cashmere sweaters and unwind them... then I can knit with cashmere for less than the price of a few skeins of acrylic. A couple of old (not heirlooms) quilts I had needed mending. New fabric would have looked so out of place, even if it was the right print. Goodwill provided some well worn, appropriate fabrics in clothing and pillowcases... problem solved.

Thanks, all - for sharing such great inspiration, stories, and pictures.

Diane
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2007
2:30 PM

Post #3870837

Hi again folks,

Just thought I'd update this thread since I've found my comforter and a few other items to put in this room.

These photos were taken this morning.

The comforter came from Goodwill. $49. Yeah that was HIGH for Goodwill, but it was EXACTLY what I was looking for. It came with pillow shams and 3 pillows that are parked on the little bench at the end of the bed.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2007
2:32 PM

Post #3870846

Art above the bed has changed. All 3 pieces came from Goodwill. The center piece was there the day I found the comforter.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2007
2:36 PM

Post #3870863

The two 3 dimensional pieces on the sides. The pair was 5.99.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2007
2:37 PM

Post #3870864

an intarsia piece I found last month at the Goodwill in Houston.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2007
2:39 PM

Post #3870868

3 Dimensional screen I found at a thrift store. The scene is made of mother of pearl pieces, etc. It's really pretty.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #3870870

Overall view of the dressing table (not used as such)

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #3870874

Figurines found at Hobby Lobby during the summer clearance sale. $6 each for man and woman.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2007
2:42 PM

Post #3870878

The woman

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2007
2:43 PM

Post #3870882

I found this man at Goodwill for 1.99

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2007
2:45 PM

Post #3870894

Believe it or not, I found another wooden fish like the one under the window. It was identical. One found in Houston, the other in San Antonio.

daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 18, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #3871696

Very pretty! Love the colors!

I am going to try and take some pix of my bedroom soon for you! It is all thrift store too and I am quite pleased.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2007
10:07 PM

Post #3872084

Thanks! I really like it. :-)

I can't wait to see your room.

I took these photos today because I've been concerned about Hurricane Dean heading this way. My daddy told me that anytime something like that looms on the horizon, take plenty of photos. It's much easier to remember things when you have photos, than when you don't. That was before the age of digital cameras.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 164 Nov 19, 2014 12:23 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America