Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Plant ID

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 161
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pjank46
Selma, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2007
8:59 PM

Post #3157398

In the plant files, plants are id'ed by Family, Genus, and Species. Where would you find the cultivar?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #3157425

The cultivars are also listed in Plant Files right after family/genus/species. Not all plants have a cultivar though so maybe that's why you haven't seen it for the plants you've been looking at. Here's an example of one that does have a cultivar:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54644/index.html

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2007
1:55 PM

Post #3184400

If you're like me an don't know all the names or even which is a family name or genus, I click on the generalized search and you can type in any of it and it will usually find what you are looking for. I call it PF for dummies, like me!!!!

Jeri
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2007
5:48 AM

Post #3269920

I love my garden and now it looks like I will be moving maybe its a good thing since I have no space to plant more babies in this garden in the past three years I have won five awards for my garden two for best front garden and three for best over all garden it is hard since I change most of my garden every year maybe I should go all natural in the new garden just to see what grows on its own hahahah weeds.

It is now March we did move to the national capital area and we have over 400 centimetres of snow fall so far this winter and more coming well for the imperial that is over 13 feet of snow, when will it be gone maybe by the end of may if we are lucky lol hahahah

This message was edited Mar 9, 2008 9:03 PM

Thumbnail by scicciarella
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #3271932

scicciarella: Beautiful Garden! If I were you, and moving ... I would have to dig up a "few" things to take to my new home! LOL.

When you get settled in your "New" home, I'm sure if you posted on here a lot of generous folks could help you with seeds, plants, bulbs to get your new garden going!

Lin
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #3278438

Scicciarella:
The burgundy plants in the back along the fence, are those Hollyhock? I can't tell. They are beautiful. If that doesn't make you crave spring...
When you move are you still going to be in the TO area?

Maureen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America