Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Honeydew melon seeds

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CajunPlantLady
Lafayette, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2007
7:00 PM

Post #3163832

Hi, all! A couple of days ago, I was cutting up a honeydew melon and decided to keep some seeds. (I recall my grandmother having a compost bin in her backyard where she threw peelings from her vegetables and fruit. Eventually, canteloupe began growing in it--quite large too!) Anyway, I have these seeds sitting in a small glass bowl on the windowsill of my kitchen. (I get excellent light there since it faces south.) I was wondering if I would be able to plant these seeds now and the honeydew would grow. If not, when can I plant them? Or am I just wasting my time altogether? I have never tried anything like this before. I usually just buy a packet of seeds at the store and plant them. Has anyone ever done something like this before? Thanks ahead for the input...
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 6, 2007
7:27 PM

Post #3163932

I did it before . I also did it with the real sweet red , yellow different color sweet peppers the large ones that use to cost so much . ( Not sure what they cost now I'm disabled not able to shop)
But anyways with all I took and put them in a little glass jar in the Frig. until I got a dome with the peat things that sweel up. They were in there about a week.
Then I sowed them watered threw those little pots swell . I put lid on top and left it on our dinning room table that got real nice light.
I had a load of plants I shared with many friends !

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2007
1:31 PM

Post #3166082

Melons do best when sowed directly outside in the ground. They don't like to have their roots disturbed, and usually you only save a couple of weeks with inside starting because of this. After that, handling the little plants can get tricky if you're not experienced in working with seedlings.

What I would do, is prepare a spot outside where you can plant the seeds. Not knowing anything about the variety, chances are, it's a hybrid. That means that it had several different parents, and the offspring...(your seeds) have a chance of looking like the parents, the honeydew that you ate...or something totally different. So long as you know this, I see no reason to plant them and see what you get.

You're in zone 9, so you've got to be getting warm, and seeds can be planted outside as soon as danger of frost is over. Melons need full sunlight, and a sunny windowsill blocks the UV rays that they need so badly. If you start inside, remember that even though it looks bright...your plants need to be outside as soon as possible.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America