Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Begonias: Begonia Dead?

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 13, Views: 464
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2007
3:44 AM

Post #3165406

My 'Color Vision' Begonia, I received one unrooted leaf in a trade in May 06, has been sitting on the southeast facing kitchen window-sill since last summer. This morning I noticed the whole plant was drooping. I pulled it out of the window and could tell it was from the cold. We had subzero temps last night for the first time in years. That is unusually cold for this area. Will it recover if I cut it back? It was looking so beautiful, I was getting ready to pull a leaf off to see if I could get it rooted to trade for another begonia cultivar. Wish I'd already gotten it done :~(

Lana

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2007
3:55 AM

Post #3165434

Here's a pic of it a couple weeks ago.

Lana

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2007
4:10 AM

Post #3165464

Lana, yep those cold windowsills will do a number on our plants ... even down here in Florida. We've had some low temp's a couple of nights and I forgot and left a couple of plants in the windowsill. They were pretty pitiful looking when I remembered and saw them the next morning! I wouldn't say your Begonia is a goner yet ... give it a chance to warm up. I don't think one night in a cold window has totally killed it. I don't know about cutting it back just yet, but hopefully some of the expert Begonia folks will see this and chime in with some good advice.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2007
4:21 AM

Post #3165482

Thanks, Lin. I'll wait and see. There are a lot of experts on this forum I've seen by lurking and learning :~)

Lana
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2007
11:50 AM

Post #3165765

Just cut the most obvious damaged leaves off and give it time to come out. As long as the rhizomes are firm then it will be okay
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2007
6:54 PM

Post #3166988

Here's what it looks like today. The rhizome feels a little squishy. Not as much as the leaf stems though, we'll see.

Lana

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3167006

It doesn't look too good but you never know. Trim away all the leaves (any leaves that are still fleshy - you might try propagating but even that is iffy) and put a clear cup over the rhizomes. See if they perk up in a few days.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

stownes
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2007
6:32 PM

Post #3169841

Lana,
I have one that lost all it's leaves a couple of months ago, but since it was close to some others in the greenhouse I just kept on watering, and there's new growth coming out, so maybe yours will recover.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2007
6:57 PM

Post #3169923

Thanks for all the help everone. Hope it comes back. I really love that plant, it's gorgeous.

Lana
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2007
2:34 AM

Post #3307610

I had gotten 3 leaves off the plant, the rhizome was a goner. The leaves had small roots so I potted them up in tiny clay pots and have them in the terrarium jars I got at the fleamarket. A couple of the leaves have fuzzy mildew on them so don't know if they'll make it. I've been taking the lid off their terrarium to keep it from staying too moist. The ones that got mildewed were inside a ziploc baggie. One leaf is doing great, it was in a cookie jar. See pic below. I just potted a few days ago and it's already sending up new growth from the roots.

Lana

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2007
8:00 AM

Post #3307871

Lana, your begonia is looking good!

With real humid conditions, a chance for quick mold growth is a real possibility. Keep debris cleaned up to prevent problems plus watch for signs of fungal growth on leaves and stems. Vent if it is too humid or keep cover off for a day or two.

Here are some of my starts from leaves. I started these by water rooting first back in the early fall.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2007
9:09 PM

Post #3373499

Good save, Lana!!!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #3374251

Thanks, two other leaves that I thought were goners are now starting to put up tiny starts :~) So I'll have some to trade if all goes well! I'll have to get a new pic of the leaf above, the new leaf has gotten bigger.

Lana
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #3383646

I love the leaf color. Hope it does well.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Co-ops? Wvdaisy 27 Apr 14, 2007 9:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America