Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cfstx
Harlingen, TX

February 7, 2007
8:13 PM

Post #3167209

We have many trees and woody shrubs, what needs pruning? How much? We are in zone 9b,
Hibiscus are still blooming, mimosa just lost it's leaves, orchid trees are budding (???), roses are
green, When do we prune?
LarissaH
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2007
3:25 PM

Post #3169339

I found this guide helpful:

http://www.arborday.org/trees/pruning/ - just click on "Launch the animation" link at the bottom.

In general I say for big shade trees, you only need to trim dead limbs or limbs that are crowding out other limbs, or low limbs to raise up the canopy for more light. You want to trim deciduous trees only in late winter or early spring so you don't stimulate growth when the weather is too harsh for it to cope. Evergreen trees you can trim anytime. Be sure to read up on the proper way to trim so that the tree's wound heals properly, and don't use those "sealants" for wounds, they are harmful, not helpful.

Hibiscus you would only trim dead wood when it's dormant late in winter, if yours is still blooming, then I would say only trim for shape and looks anytime.

I don't know much about Mimosa or orchid trees, hopefully someone else does.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2007
7:43 PM

Post #3170041

If the orchid trees are budding now, I would wait until after they bloom and prune them then. In general, things that bloom in the spring should be left alone and pruned just after they finish blooming, and for most other things they should be pruned while they're dormant in late winter (if you prune the spring-bloomers in late winter, you'll prune off all the flower buds, that's why you need to wait until after they bloom). There are exceptions, and there are some things that you can prune at other times of the year and be fine too, but this rule is a good starting point.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America