-
AuthorContent
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #3167912

I'm so glad this forum is here and I hope some of you may recognize what kind of bird would build this nest. My friend says it was about 8 or 9 inches long and was hanging from a branch in an Arbutus shrub. She was told by several that it was a hummer nest, but it is many, many times larger than several hummer nests I've seen in these parts, all of which were more the size of a large thimble. TIA for your help. Janet

Thumbnail by jcangemi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2007
8:32 AM

Post #3168618

An oriole, presumably either Hooded Oriole or Bullock's Oriole in CA.

Resin
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2007
1:12 PM

Post #3168966

Thank you Resin, I read the description of the two Orioles in my 'Birds of Northern California', both of which are common in our area and the nest description fits.

[quote]Hooded Oriole Icterus cucullatus
Nesting: nest is suspended from a palm frond or a deciduous tree branch; female weaves a pouch of plant fibers and grass with materials provided by the male; nest is lined with feathers, hair and plant down; female incubates 4 eggs for about 12-14 days; both adults feed the young.[/quote]

Similar description is given for Bullock's Oriole Icterus bullockii.

I now have another forum to frequent and thank you for your help. Janet
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2007
8:07 PM

Post #3175650

Update on the bird nest in question. Turns out that it is the nest of a Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus. They are more common in Northern CA but there are colonies of them in areas further south, including Merced, Madera, Fresno, and many nests are found in the San Joaquin River bottom areas, according to 2 members of local organization that do bird counts at designated times of the year. This nest was located about 5 ft. up in this tree-like shrub. According to the bird counters, the nests that Orioles typically build are at 15 feet or higher. Their nests are very similar, hence the mis-identification, but Bushtit's are much more intricate, taking up to 50 days to construct, with both male and female working feverishly. Very interesting.

Janet
Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

February 11, 2007
6:42 PM

Post #3178606

Defiantly a Bushtit nest. Orioles build sack like nests. The top on an Orioles nest is open. Where as, in Bushtits nests the top is closed, and there is an access hole, on the side just below the top. The nest in your image has the side access hole, of a Bushtits nest.
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2007
8:12 PM

Post #3178922

Thanks for the confirmation on the id.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #3178932

Had a look at some pics, got to agree with Bushtit. I'm not too familiar with archaic 18th century measurements ("inches") so wasn't too sure on what size the nest was, but on digging out the conversion formulae and a calculator, it comes out too small for an oriole nest as well.

Resin
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 11, 2007
8:55 PM

Post #3179049

Being from the archaic schooled (lol), I have to take a peek at a chart anytime the other is mentioned.
jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #3179241

Ditto on that. . aaarrrrgh! You'd think after having 3 babies I might have an idea of a centimeter??? Nahhhh. Liter, yes, and sorry to say that's about the extent of my metric knowledge. I have to look at the charts too! jc

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America