Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Ammi majus

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #3168132

Anyone ever trying growing this? I have very unsuccessfully twice. The pictures of bloom looks like the weed Queen Anne's Lace or wild carrot? It looks like a wonderful filler for bouquet making.
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2007
11:20 AM

Post #3168747

Hi Lenjo! I did just happen to grow this for the first time last year. I winter sowed the seeds in February and transplanted them to the garden as soon as all danger of frost was gone. Of course, I'm in a much cooler zone than you are. You might want to check in the Winter Sowing forum ( http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/coldsow/all/ ) or maybe the Pacific Northwest Gardening forum ( http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/region_pnw/all/ ) to see how your timing differs.

--Ginny
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #3171265

Hi, Lenjo :) I also tried Ammi last year for the first time and it was nice...for a while...
I found that by mid-summer they had all died out...I was kind of dissapointed. They didn't seem to take any heat very well. I noticed in the fall that they are prolific re-seeders...tons of seedlings...

Steven
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #3173492

So gin, you transplanted your own seedlings and Steven, did you direct seed? Does it really look similar to Queen Anne's Lace the weed? I have only seen it in pictures.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #3173652

I started my seeds in a cold frame...early April and planted them out late May.
Where you are you could start them earlier though. Lucky you :)

Steve
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2007
4:29 PM

Post #3178121

Yes it does look like Queen Anne's Lace the wildflower, Lenjo. If that is the look you are looking for you should be pleased with the results :-)

--Ginny

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America