Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

LG Hi-Mac/Corian

Baton Rouge, LA

Would any of you use this product. Will have my countertops done and really like the solid surface. Looking at almond sand with integrated sink in cream or almond-since it will be free. Will this type of surface go the way of the rust colored couch that I used to own or will they always be around like a classic suit. Should I get a solid and have it neutral.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Get what YOU like. Unless you're selling in the next 2 yrs it's futile to try to anticipate what some unknown buyer will want. Solid surface is not the most "trendy" but is certainly a long-proven, reliable countertop. It cleans easily and the seams are invisible.

If you are getting Hi-mac make sure you are comfortable with their installers; both DuPont and Swanstone (which is what I have) are very picky about kitchen installs and will only let their own company reps install. This policy is because both companies had a lot of trouble early on with poor quality installations causing warranty troubles. I don't know what LG's policy is, in comparison.

LG has a so-so reputation for customer service -- they're the old Lucky Goldstar Corporation. Some folks have had good luck with them, some haven't, but that's on the appliances side. Haven't seen much feedback on their countertops although it is the exact same mix as Corian.

With any solid surface, getting a pattern minimizes the surface scratches that occur. Dark solid colors have been know to scratch white, so you should test samples of anything you are interested in. Good luck!

Baton Rouge, LA

Thanks so much-decided to go with Corian aurora-found the fabricator that does work for the Lowes and they are cheaper without the middle man(Lowes). They told me either way I go they are going to do my job. Lowes tacked on so many extra charges. Besides being more expensive,what are the advantages of going with Lowes.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't think there's really any advantage in using Lowe's or HDepot's services since they contract all that stuff out and as you have found, tack on some pretty heavy middleman expenses. On the other hand though, you personally have to take responsibility for checking references, liability insurance, etc., yourself -- instead of having a big box company with clout (and a name to protect) behind you. Yes, you can save money by contracting directly, but if the install gets screwed up -- and install, on counters as in so many things, is EVERYTHING -- you don't have the leverage the big box stores do. He knows he'll probably never get another job from you personally, but if he screws up a big box project, he'll be off their future list of contractors.

Go with your gut feeling. If his references check out -- and they should NOT be big box project references, BTW -- and you feel you can trust him -- go for it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

That's exactly the reason I go with Sears on things like furnaces, etc, they do the same thing where they contract out the work and if I wanted to I could go find the same contractor and have them do the work directly, but if I get it through Sears it saves me a lot of time researching the contractor, plus if something gets messed up they have more inspiration to fix things because they have a reputation to maintain and they have lots of other things they'd like me to buy from them in the future. Not to mention that they'll probably come down hard on a contractor who messes up because it reflects on them and they have a lot more time & resources to go after bad contractors than I do. So if things go right, you'll be glad you saved the extra money but if things go wrong, I think there'll be less stress involved in getting things made right if you go through Lowes.

Baton Rouge, LA

They say they have been in business for 30 years. Have done work for many big businesses here in town- I just don't know. This is a lot of money I will be saving. This company sells the product and installs. The work in the showroom looks nice .

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's your choice--if you do your homework on them and they're reliable, then by all means go for it and save the money. It's just more work for you up front to make sure they're trustworthy. But please don't base your decision on how the showroom looks, that's no indication of how they would behave on a job. You say they've done work for a lot of businesses--have they also done a lot of homes? I would make sure to check some references of individuals whose homes they've done work in, that'll give you a better idea of how you'll be treated than checking with the businesses they've done work for.

Baton Rouge, LA

They were supposed to come out yesterday and measure. No show or phone call.I called to find out what happened-the receptionist said I wasn't in his book. I had just talked to him the day before and he said see you tomorrow. Front guy called him and called me back and said he got tied up on an out of town job. Maybe they realize they gave me a great price and don't want to do the job.I don't want Home Depot around here,I went in, gave them my measurements-called them a couple of times and they never called me back. New Orleans area here and they can pick and choose-guess I am just the small guy,with the small job.I'm not getting granite(maybe Quartz instead of Corian). So.....

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

My wife wanted Corian countertops when we bought our new house but after we started looking, it didn't appear that granite or quartz was that much more than solid surface.

We went with manufactured quartz (I think it was Avanza) which looks like granite but doesn't have the pores of granite. We got it through Lowe's which was supposed to be guaranteed 21 business days from the order date but turned out to be more like six weeks. Once you pay for it, Lowe's is out of the loop.

It is now the manufacturer and the installer who are responsible for getting it done. The installer had problems just getting to the house for 3 days to take measurements, then the manufacturer in TX (they have the rights to make the stone which is patented or owned by some Italian company) said they were overloaded and didn't know a thing about the 21 day guarantee. I threatened to drop the order if they didn't get it done in a week (four weeks had already gone by). Finally the countertops arrived in GA but the installers said they'd get it done the next week. My wife said it had to be done the next day (we were closing in two days) else we would cancel. They got it done the next day. Anyway it looks great despite all the hassles.

We did get 10% back from Lowe's for all the hassle which we then used at the same store for garage door openers. There should be a penalty clause in all contracts for poor performance.

HD has Silestone which is a similar product but the Italian colors at Lowe's looked better to us.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Cassie--I'm sure they're not avoiding you because they gave you a good price, your price probably isn't as good as you think, I'm sure they're still making a nice profit off your job and I doubt you got a better price than what they give everyone else. Probably what happened is the guy had good intentions of coming out, but then he got caught up with something else and it never got told to the receptionist, and since he probably talks to tons of people each day if you didn't get on the receptionist's calendar then he's not going to remember that he was supposed to come out. So you could give them another chance, or take this as a sign that if they can't be responsible enough to put you on the calendar and come out to take measurements before you've even given them any money, how likely are the to come back and fix problems once they've been paid.

Do you have Angie's List in your area? It's a site where homeowners can write reports on companies/contractors who have done jobs for them, and if you find a company on there that's gotten a lot of good ratings, then you know they're probably more trustworthy (although even trustworthy companies will sometimes need to be bugged a few times on things, and the job will still take longer than they tell you originally).

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Ecrane, you are right on the money about the good intentions and what can happen. Sometimes the contractor/handyman may lose their notes (or minds) and if you don't call them back, you will never know if it was you or them. It happened to us one time where my wife called a painter and he did not call back as he promised the next day. My wife called him back after a few days and he was thankful she did because he lost our number. He came right over and gave us a quote. We hired him due to good references and his modest price. He and his crew did a great job.

Baton Rouge, LA

I called them yesterday. The contractor called me right back within 15 minutes. Said he was sorry,put my name down as the name of my street and was hoping I would call and straighten everything out. Said he has been very busy because his boss,who owns the business ,is on vacation and he is trying to handle everything. He was going to come right away,but I said wait until today. He seems like he probably has a lot on his plate right now and would honor Corian free sink deal and edge upgrade even if the offer is over. Hope I don't throw him too much off by maybe changing to zodiaq quartz. I just don't like seeing seams. Corian looks so much better to me.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

cassie - what did you end up doing? This is my first visit to the Kitchens forum because I, too, am considering Corian. We now have a Corian topped table (7 years) and I'd like countertops to match. They do still make the same color. What are you doing for backsplash? Thanks.

Baton Rouge, LA

I ended up getting vanilla corian with vanilla sink. The guy who owns the company says he thinks I made the best choice and he sells it all,quartz,granite and corian,Lg,formica. I think I will be pleased. Tell me what you decide to do

When I read that long expanses may crack it frightened me. I have one long piece - about 15' 6". I'll need some kind of guarantee that it won't happen. Did you get any guarantee with yours?

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

With any countertop material, not only does it need to be properly supported (which is why install is critical, and DuPont and Swanstone, amongst others, do NOT allow any but certified installers for kitchens) but consumers need to realize that the seams are more vulnerable. This is true no matter what you are installing, whether it is granite, marble, laminate, quartz, engineered stone, or solid surfacing!

Seams in anything except tile counters are done with epoxy, which is more vulnerable to heat damage than the countertop material it is holding together. The danger with solid surfacing is that it is the only surface with invisible seams, so if you don't remember where your seams are, and keep putting hot pans or household appliances on them, you are risking possible damage.

Another cause of cracking is thermal shock, which can happen again to any large expanse. It is why you are safer with the guarantee of a large corporation like DuPont or Cambria or Swanstone, than with your local granite yard. Yes, you can put large hot pans down on granite, but many of the more popular granites are not true granites at all, and they can and (infrequently) have been known to crack or chip. Solid surfacing, however, can be always repaired invisibly and even repolished to look like new again.

I really do appreciate your help. I do put hot pots right on my slab of granite now but will have to be more careful if I go with the Corian. I will check guarantees. Thanks!

After two dealers never appeared to give an estimate, yesterday the man from a kitchen firm with high marks from neighbors did come over, measure and sent me the estimate. Thank heavens I was sitting down when I received it!

I still want to call one more company that does Corian just to verify the cost.

Sinks have been ripped out, along with the cook top removal, to remove the current tops and put in the Corian Sahara. Hard to believe it's four months.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Don't forget to post some pix so we can see your new counters! Good luck!

Ideal sink. No cleaning required.

Thumbnail by pirl

Can't burn a thing on the cook top anymore!

Thumbnail by pirl

This is where the deep sink was (and will be again), which we use for washing vegetables from the garden, big roasting pans, things that have to soak, etc.

Thumbnail by pirl
Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

good luck to you! I have corian and love it. I recommend it to everyone. :)

I'll post photos tonight. I love the Corian!!!

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I am also planning to get corian and am decided about the sink. I like the look of corian sink, but they said you can't put hot pots on it, that would leave a white circle (burn mark).
I recently had silestone put in my bathroom. I chose the same company that does installation for Lowes and HD. They were recomment very hightly and the price is exactly half of the big stores.
I am disappointed in the silestone, due to the fact that it is not as thick as the formica that I had. The sink and countertop seems much lower. I did get a undermount china sink and that accounts for 1" lower, but it makes a difference in the height.
I am anxious to hear from anyone that has the corian sink. It looks great when new, but how will it look in five years.

I love the sink. It's so smooth. I realize your concern is the hot pot issue but could you force yourself to put the hot pot back on a cool burner? I was surprised at how I changed from putting hot pots on the granite I had to putting the pot back on the cooktop.

The other nice feature of the sink is the integration with the surface. No ridges to ever have to scrub.

Edited to say: the sink is only a month old!

This message was edited Sep 21, 2007 8:38 AM

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

thanks for your instant reply. I really like the look and ease of the sink. I wouldn't have a problem with the hot pots, it is my husband that will have to be trained. He likes cooking breakfast, anything else he puts in the micro.

Here's a picture of the sink the way I preferred it:

Thumbnail by pirl

But to spoil it all the silly plumber put in the faucet and drain!

Thumbnail by pirl
Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

that is pretty much what I have in mind. Looks great! When I saw the first photo, I wondered where the faucet was!

The sink stayed so perfect when there was no faucet! We do have another sink in the kitchen, a deep stainless steel one, that's great for the pots and pans as well as for whipping heavy cream without splattering the walls and windows.

Thumbnail by pirl
Baton Rouge, LA

I have had my corian since March and absolutely love it. It is easy clean. I have Vanilla counters and vanilla sink. So glad I got it. I will probably do granite or silestone for my bar area but that is in my greatroom and is an entirely different part of my house.But I mught just end up with sand or sahara corian.

Sahara is what I have. I think I remember a nice one called Chamois. I hope that's the right name.

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I am looking forward to getting my corian counter & sink, hopefully within the next month. Your replies have been helpful.

What faucet are you getting?

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

haven't decided on a faucet, definately one lever. I have seen the pull out spray one piece faucet, but don't have any opinions on that.
What do you recommend. I have always had chrome, but now that I have a brushed stainless front fridge, I am thinking about the brushed chrome.
Any advice is welcome

I have the chrome. The stainless was another $100. or so but $521. (without installation) for the chrome still shocked me! I love it. The name is Grohe.

How close is the refrigerator to the sink? That might sway me and have me going for the stainless steel. I do have a brushed stainless steel refrigerator but it's across from the Corian sink, not next to it. We kept the deep brushed stainless steel sink we use for pots and pans and messy work, like cleaning garden pots, etc.

Richmond, VA

Several years ago we purchased Hi-Mac countertops from Lowes in Glen Allen Virginia. About 3 years later the seam over the dishwasher popped open. Lowes sent a repairman by to repair the split. Several months ago the split reopened..

My husband and I have taken excellent care of the countertops, but I think because of where the seam was placed, it was bound to fail. Two associates from Lowes came out to photograph the crack. I asked them when they were here why it is that the countertop is hollow above the two seams. (Looking from under the counter one can easily see that the counter is not deep where the seams are joined.) We were told that this was not the way it should be. We're told by Lowes that Hi Mac will not repair the crack.

Now I wonder if the problem we’ve been having is because the countertops were poorly constructed. Why is the thickness of the countertop thinner (or hollow) above the seam?

What does a 10 year warranty means when the counters split apart?

Buyer beware.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Again - proper install is EVERYTHING. It's like prep work on paint jobs - some pros skimp, but it's the customer who pays in the end when the job doesn't last.

No warranty means anything when the install is bad. Caveat emptor means precisely that. Most people see the word 'warranty' but don't read exactly what is, and what is not, covered.

You can probably get this issue resolved, but it will take you time and effort. You might even want to get your local TV station involved, if they have a 'consumer reporter' on staff.

Asking here on a public forum is not going to do you any good except to vent emotionally.

When we had our Swanstone counters and sink installed, I tried a third-party vendor but business was booming in 2003 and nobody was interested in our small job. I contacted Swan Corp. directly and they sent out the rep and installers. Did a beautiful job, and no issues after a lot of abuse over the last 7 years. What I love most about them is the matte finish and the invisible corner seams, which you can't get with any other slab-type counter materials.

Thumbnail by jkom51

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.