Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: Will these seeds work for Winter Sowing?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 49, Views: 754
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2007
2:19 AM

Post #3170964

Hi! I am such a novice to WS--just found the forum, in fact-- but it sounds so appealing and interesting, and I LOVE the opportunities to recycle used containers. I am expecting the following seeds (which I ordered for starting under lights) to arrive any day now from Park Seed. Are they at all suitable for Winter Sowing? If not, I would appreciate being "wised up."
Thank you so much.
--Emily

IMPATIENS SUPER ELFIN PARADISE MIX HYBRI

MARIGOLD AURORA MIXED

GERANIUM HORIZON PICOTEE HYBRID MIX

BEGONIA NON STOP MIXED

ITALIAN PANSY COLLECTION

Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3171812

Hi Emily,

Impatiens would be a bit too tender to go out now in MA I would think. The rest, possibly okay, but this is just my first year so I'd wait for a more experienced WS'er to come along ;)

Here is where most of us get our information, Trudi's site: http://www.wintersown.org/

There are lists for seeds based on your zone, as well as all kinds of tips and instructions.

Have fun, it's a blast - and welcome to the forum :)

~Sunny
PVick
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2007
1:17 PM

Post #3171825

Hi Emily -

Welcome to Winter Sowing!

First thing I want to emphasize - "winter sowing" covers ALL of the winter months, right thru March. That said, all of the seeds you mentioned are suitable for WSing, with the exception of the impatiens.

Impatiens don't do well when WSed in the coldest part of winter, but they should do well if sown outside in the later, "warmer" months - like March, or even April (when it becomes "spring sowing"). Since we are rapidly approaching March, I'd say you can give them a shot then.

Pansies are a definite "GO"; they are the first annuals I put out - usually in January. Sowing them now is fine. I've sown marigolds as early as February, and had good results, but got better results when I waited two weeks and sowed them in mid-March. Same for the geraniums and begonias.

Give them a shot - if you're unsure or uneasy about it, you can always try just a couple outside and see what happens.

Hope this helps ...

PV
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3173889

Thank you so much, all of you who answered my question about my seeds. I am so glad to have the time-line for sowing my pansies (first), then waiting till March for marigolds, begonias, and geraniums. Just gives me a bit more time to collect my containers! I already have a bag of Pro-mix thawing out in my garage for the pansies. It's even warming up (to 32 degrees F---hooray!)
I appreciate so much the wisdom, not to mention the enthusiasm, of this group.
--Emily
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2007
7:54 PM

Post #3175618

What to do? What to do?

I don't want to be perceived as a downer, but begonias need to be started inside and so do Impatiens if you want to see the flowers in a timely fashion. If you have the lights already and a place to do it, I would sow these inside - use a heat mat if you have one. I know this is the WS forum, and I truly LOVE the prospect, but for these 2, plus a few others, I would sow them inside so they bloom earlier -- May or June. If you aren't in a hurry, go ahead and winter sow the Impatiens -- I have some here that reseed every year as long as I don't cover them too thickly with mulch. In fact, they are getting beyond their bounds, but they don't bloom early enough to suit me and even with the million seedings I have, I end up buying a few flats because I want flowers sooner.

As an aside on Impatiens, they are mutually stimulated, so you'll want to sow in a single pot and transplant when they either get crowded or have 2 sets of leaves. I have been running an experiment on them just this past three weeks and the seeds in the cell packs aren't germinating well, and aren't growing well once germinated.

Pansies, well, here they go dormant in late June...they quit blooming, sort of elongate and look terrible. I would sow these inside -- in a cool place -- and get them outside as soon as possible. They can take a LOT of cold -- and can freeze and thaw many times, especially as baby seedlings. The secret is to get them germinated early so they bloom early -- the chilly basement under lights would be my first choice. Maybe in the cold garage? I sowed mine last July and am expecting them to really take off as a full-sized plant in March (but I also bought several flats at $1.99 a flat last October as a backup.) It's gotten down into the negative numbers here, but pansies in the ground don't seem to care (well, they care, and don't look so hot right now, but they will look really good in March.)

I do not want this to be perceived as a negative statement on wintersowing -- I have over 150 jugs and containers outside as I type, with another 100 or 200 planned. I am all for it because I don't have a lot of space underlights, but there are just some things that, while are perfectly happy germinating and growing outside, just take too darn long to get to bloom size!

Suzy
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #3175879

Thanks Suzy for the insight on growing impatiens and begonias inside, will write that down in my journal so I'll have early blooms. ;0)
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #3175975

Uh, Suzy - you are scaring me! The prospect of having 300 milk jugs in my backyard . . . what will you do if everything germinates? Perhaps you sell your plants or maybe you live on an estate? :-)
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2007
1:24 AM

Post #3176528

Thank you, Suzy, for your advice on impatiens and begonias. Intuitively, I sense that you have a point.

I am a bit confused about what "mututally stimulated" means in the case of potting impatiens. Sounds. . . well, how can I phrase it? Like more fun than I thought seeds HAD!

Anyway, thanks for the informative post. I really appreciate your taking the time to help this novice to Winter Sowing.
--Emily
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2007
6:12 AM

Post #3177112

LOL, CapeCod! I wondered if anybody thought that was as funny as I did. When I first read it I thought it said MANUALLY and that really had me in a double take!

All it means is keep those Impatiens together as seedlings in a communal pot, and then wait until they get fairly big before transferring to the cell packs...or whatever you use in lieu of cell packs. In the garden they are happy enough if you plant them closer. Don't plant the seeds in the cell packs directly because they can't mutually stimulate. ROFL!

What am I going to do with 300 jugs? Now, that's a darn good question! I have no idea. There are just so many things that caught my eye, y'know? I'm hoping the perennials grow slowly so I don't have to worry with them until June-July-Aug. Or maybe repot them and put them in a holding area. Mr. Clean and I have turf wars and I have gotten control of an area in the back. The first thing I did was put cardboard down to kill his grass. ROFL! Then I added manure and good stuff over all and it's amazing! I could plant those seedings right in there...not sure even that area will be big enough, though.

I am going to have a "Help me Dig My English Ivy Out" Party...You're all invited. LOL! If that were yanked, I would have room for 400 jugs!

Suzy
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2007
1:52 PM

Post #3177596

Here is something that I have not paid attention to: looking at this thread it occurred to me that maybe all (or many) of the seeds I am sowing now won't be ready to do anything this coming year, except of course establish root systems. I won't be able to count on getting them to actually flower, which I think means that I will still have to buy a bunch of plants for where I need various sizes/shapes/colors etc. to fill in ( have a bed that is only one year old).

Perhaps my annuals (both hardy and not) will "work" this year?

Any thoughts or experience?

Suzy, you are saying that you would put your perennials in pots and keep them in a holding area until you have time to plant them. What would that holding area look like, I assume it would be outside?

I guess your English Ivy pulling party would be fun, I like to weed and pull honeysuckle.
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2007
4:51 PM

Post #3178212

OK I'm veering a tad off the WS topic, but since growing impatiens inside has already been mentioned in this thread I'm considering it free reign. I've been hunting and hunting for double impatiens seeds without much luck. The few sources I've found have been for mixed colors and I prefer a solid color mass instead (preferably that beautiful coral color). Anybody know where I can find them?

Thanks,
La
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #3179148

Welcome Emily to the Winter Sowing Forum.

Pansies will do very well via this method and since they enjoy cooler temperatures. I would winter sow them now. The other seeds you mentioned probably would do better if sown next month and I would probably wait until April with the Impatients.

Suzy: 300+ wintersown containers...wow! Looking forward to seeing some awesome pictures from you!

Clementine: Annuals will bloom for you right away. Just ws them and they will reward you will their beautiful flowers. Most perennials will put down a good root system the first year and will give you blooms the second year.

Lala: You might want to look at Park Seeds. They seem to have a large variety of Impatients.
http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&SearchText=p16.v226;p16.v230;p4.v8&CharRange=II&DisplayAvailable=A&mainPage=advsearchresults&scChannel=Seeds%20AS
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #3179178

Thank you, Shirley1md. Just as I thought. Are there any perennials that would bloom this year if could find the seeds NOW?
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #3179272

Besides the ones mentioned in this article, I would add Achillea (Yarrow), Dianthus & Poppies. Probably others, but those came to mind first.

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00195.asp
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2007
2:51 AM

Post #3180295

Hi, Shirley1md, thanks for that site. I am partially ok, because I have some gauras already and more seeds, and I just wintersowed some Rudbeckia, although it is hirta, not fulgida. Definitely will look for dianthus, and will consider poppies, although I don't know anything about poppies, except that I seem to have read that there is some trick in starting them and so I did not buy any seeds.

I really appreciate all you posts to other questions too, they are so informative, to the point, and so generous.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2007
3:03 AM

Post #3180318

Clementine, Take a look at Foxy Foxglove, too. Blooms 5 months from seed. What zone are you in? A lot depends on the zone...Is Rudbeckia hirta a perennial there or an annual? There are a ton of those -- all different amounts of bronze or brown on them. Plus Prairie Sun and Irish Eyes. It is my understanding they all bloom first year from seed.

Dahlias - Bishop's Children and all the others also bloom from seed. They are perennial there, I imagine, but you'd want to dig them some time to clean up the tubers.

Snapdragons would.

What about Coreopsis, Platycodon, Campanula, and Aquilegia? Would those bloom first year?

If you're going to hold a place for your perennials by using annuals, be careful the annuals don't get so big they shade the little guys out - that was my big problem last year, and why I was thinking a nursery bed/pot farm for me next summer. I have an area that's low and I made a nice big high lasagne bed on it. I can already tell it's sinking, so I would want to add more stuff before I'd plant in it or I'd be fighting the low ground forever. That's the perfect place for a nursery bed, especially a pot bed. What will it look like? A ghetto pot farm, probably! If I put the pots down, and then mulch between them, maybe they won't be quite so visible. Luckily it's in an area that's not real visible, either from the house or from the neighbors, so I'm not too worried.

Shirley, Sure -- I'll send in some pictures of my ghetto pot farm. LOL! A friend told me she does the hunk o' seedlings on perennials, too, and it works really well and gives a bigger, fuller plant sooner. I was thinking about breaking the milk jug square into 5-6-7 pieces and planting those. But like Clemmie, I want flowers next year, not just plants, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Suzy

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2007
3:48 AM

Post #3180393

Coreopsis and Platycodon have a good chance of blooming their first year, Campanula maybe, and Aquilegia doubtful.

edit: The Campanula depends on the species, and Aquilegia is not going to bloom its first year that I can find anywhere

This message was edited Feb 11, 2007 11:58 PM
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2007
4:21 AM

Post #3180431

Oh, that's a bummer! About 7 of those milk jugs out there are filled with Aquilegia!

Oh, well,
Suzy
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2007
4:28 AM

Post #3180444

Well it's still a nice plant - you have to start somewhere! I think the young ones are nice for the foliage, anyway.
Didn't you start any last year? lol
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2007
12:08 PM

Post #3180722

Aquilegia Origami is supposed to bloom the first year. I sowed some last year on Mar 8, they germinated kind of late but didn't bloom. If I'd gotten them out earlier in the winter, maybe they would have. Hopefully I'll have some blossoms this year. I also did some Rocky Mountain and McKana's giant, and none of those bloomed, either. The foliage looked nice and healthy, though, so I'm hopeful for some pretty columbine this year.

Karen
Tammylp
Lima, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2007
5:49 PM

Post #3181708

Illoquin - to pick your brain...
are there any other common/popular annuals that should be started early indoors to provide an earlier bloom (instead of WS)? Nothing is more frustrating than watching something grow to the point of flowering and filling out, then it's suddenly August with a heatwave to battle.
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #3182054

Had to run into town for something so I looked for seeds of course. I found only Dianthus Cottage Mix, and the package says that it will bloom the first year, so I have already put some into a jug. Tomorrow I will go to some other places that may have a better assortment.

Clapya: I guess I should try Coreopsis again, but last year I bought plants I may have killed them, won't know for a while of course. I also have one Platycodon in a container, maybe I'll set it out, even though I did not particularly like, but somebody gave it to me, so I kept it - it is a conversation piece.

Suzy: I am in zone 7a. Rudbeckia hirta is perennial acc. to a Ferry Morse package I looked at today, but Park says it is annual. Wikipedia and Floridata say it is both and also biennial. So who knows what I got. But tomorrow I will look for the Floxglove you are recommending.

Thank you all!! This is such a good thread (even though it has a lot of bad consequences for me)

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2007
12:18 AM

Post #3182961

I would also add Datura to the list of plants that bloom the 1st year. In zone 7a, Datura act like a perennial, but bloom like an annual. Does that make sense? They like to drop their seeds on the ground and the following year you'll have a whole bunch of them. Good for making a visual impact or for sharing with friends.

It would be wonderful if my Aquilegia bloomed the 1st year, but no such luck! That means that I should have lots of them in bloom this year, right? Absolutely!! I love the Aquilegia origami series and hopefully this year they will reward me with some of their beautiful flowers.

Apparently, the trick with Poppies is to plant the h.o.s. while they are still small. My Poppies pooped out on me last year. It gets hot here quickly. I had mine growing in full sun, because that's what the growing instructions said. They just didn't like all that heat, plus our humidity. So this year, I'll plant them out in a different bed. One that only gets morning sun and see if they like that location better.

Platycodon bloomed the 1st year for me too. I forgot about that one. Would you believe it is flowering in its plastic bottle? Here's a picture of it.

You're very welcome Clementine. Glad to help when ever I can.

Suzy, "ghetto pot farm", LOL! You'll have beautiful flowers...just wait & see!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2007
2:51 AM

Post #3183562

That is a lovely picture, Shirley. You won't believe what I did almost all evening: I looked at all - every single one - of the perennials in the Bluestone perennials site - drooling, and I did especially notice the platycodons. I hope mine (even though I never liked it much) will make a good transition out into a bed.

Suzy, your pot ghetto will be interesting. Would you post a picture when the time is right?

Good night, time to go and dream some more.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2007 12:05 PM
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2007
12:33 PM

Post #3184181

Hey LaLa~ saw the double coral impatien seeds at Walmart, debated and debated whether to buy a pack or not as I already have some impatiens to start indoors.
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #3186449

Thanks Clementine..."a picture is worth a 1,000 words".
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2007
3:46 AM

Post #3186918

Shirley -- I thought of you today -- WSd your evening scented stocks. :) Thanks, though it was probably a swap not a trade.

On the poppies -- did they bloom? If they bloomed, then that's all there is. They are a "one hit wonder" and you have to be ready with some Cosmos or Zinnias to fill the void they leave. There are 2 schools of thought on Poppies -- one is to pull themas soon as they finish blooming in order to get somehting else in there. The other choice is to let them go to seed so you have somehting to trade. :LOL or something to reseed. Most people suggest pulling up all but one or two -- keeps the mess down and you still have somehting to reseed. Some people put a spreadig plant next to them to fill the space that way. Those same people put small groups of poppies around instead of a big swath of them, so those smaller holes just sort of get filled in as the season progresses.

Tammy -- the big 4 that take a lng time to come into bloom are begonias, impatiens, coleus and pelargonium (annual geraniums). Now I supposed you can add angelonia, which is new to me. And parsley which has unusual requirements. Next might be snaps & petunias which take a long time to come into bloom, but also seem to be happy to grow in the cold, so wintersowing is okay.

Suzy

Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2007
12:54 PM

Post #3187551

Ooh Garden6, thank you! I surely do hope my local Walmart has them as well. I swear I've looked at Walmart's seeds and didn't see them...maybe I just overlooked them!
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2007
1:04 PM

Post #3187586

You're welcome and let us see how they grow for you! ;0)
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3189241

Suzy, I am interested in angelonias, I started another thread on that, asking whether they can be wintersown. What do you know about them ( you are mentioning them in your last post)?
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #3190201

Lala~ noted them again today at Walmart, they are listed as double bush balsams and double camelia balsams, with various assorted swirls, pastels and your corals! ;0)
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2007
4:38 PM

Post #3192038

Suzy:

Due to a storm related power outage, I couldn't reply yesterday.

Hope the evening scented stocks will perfume your garden with their exquisite scent & beauty.

The Poppies bloomed briefly & I left them where they were planted. I enjoy their interesting looking seed pods as much as their flowers. Hopefully, they will bloom this year again and then I'll move them to a location that only receives morning sun. I do have seeds for Cosmos & Zinnias, so I'll be wsing them to replace the small empty spot left by the Poppies. Thanks for your help.
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2007
8:44 PM

Post #3192940

Higher up in the thread I had asked about perennials that bloom the first year from seed. Someone sent me this nice link, where he lists a whole bunch of them - but unfortunately he says that most of them would not bloom if wintersown, at least not in zone 6.

http://www.robsplants.com/plants/fastperennials.php

Very nice website, though.

I am still sowing, today I did a jug of Passiflora incarnata.

It is very cold here (for us), low of 18.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2007
11:05 PM

Post #3206235

Clementine: Is Rob referring to wintersowing as we do it? Sometimes you will see that term used in referring to direct sowing into beds. I have also seen it used in reference to sowing seeds inside under lights in winter.

I've been told that wintersowing as we do it can speed up blooming of perennials by fooling the seeds into thinking that they have already endured one winter (which they have).

I did have a few perennials bloom in their first year- lady lavender, verbascum Southern Charm, oriental poppies, butterfly weed, hardy hibiscus, gaillardia goblin I know for sure. And maybe a few that I'm forgetting...

Karen
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #3206806

Well, Karen, here is what Rob says:
"Note that I start most of my perennials indoors, starting in early winter. Many of the plants listed would not bloom if started outdoors in spring, or if wintersown to sprout when temperatures warm up - at least not in our zone 6 garden."

I assume he really means wintersowing when using this word, but as you can see, what he says is not very encouraging, and he does not tell us, which ones he thinks would not bloom.

Lucky for me, I also sowed Lady Lavender, so that should work, I haven't done my oriental poppies yet - tomorrow, tomorrow. I also still have asclepias, don't like gaillardia that much.

Last year I kept driving by someone's house, and from the distance I saw what I am fairly certain were two daturas. I have decided that I will stop by there (don't know them at all) and just confess that I would like to have some seeds from them if they have any.

Tonight will be the first night in at least two weeks that it will not freeze, last night we had 15F. I got some more milk jugs from a friendly Starbuck's today.

Good luck with your sowing!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2007
2:20 AM

Post #3210098

I love "the seed site", he includes so much wonderful information. But I do get a kick out of his references to winter sowing. Here's one excerpt"

More about Winter Sowing:

A traditional way of sowing seeds in Europe, this is now becoming popular in the US. As growing indoors under lights is one of the most usual methods of starting seeds in America, the most popular method of winter sowing is a sort of half-way house between sowing outside and sowing indoors, with the seeds being kept in unheated propagators kept outside. As this produces a humid environment, there are still problems with aphids, leggy seedlings and damping off. In England, it is more usual to sow seeds in pots and leave them uncovered either in a cold frame or in the open garden in a sheltered place. In fact, this used to be the method also used in the United States (Prof. Norm Deno, of Pennsylvania State University, wrote in 1993 in his book Seed Germination Theory and Practice: 'A time honored procedure in horticulture and gardening has been to sow seeds in pots and place them outdoors in the fall'), but they seem to have got side-tracked and come to believe that it's essential to sow seeds indoors under shop lights.

Another:
Winter Sowing
This is the usual way of sowing seeds of perennials, trees, and shrubs, in Europe and elsewhere, and simply involves sowing seeds outside in the autumn, usually in pots, to allow them to experience the ups and downs of winter temperatures to encourage them to germinate in the spring.

It might seem obvious, but only sowing seeds in the autumn or winter can be called 'winter sowing', and you sow seeds at this time for particular reasons. When I see references to 'winter sowing' in spring or summer on US Forums, I conclude that this new discovery by American gardeners is just the rediscovery that seeds don't need artificial light or heat to germinate.

Whilst sowing outside in natural conditions is the method most usually practised throughout the world, sowing seeds outside in the autumn or winter is not the best way to treat all seeds. A few seeds of some species might germinate if sown at this time, but that might be despite, not because of, this treatment. Surely the whole point of sowing seeds yourself is that you can choose the best way for the particular seeds you want to germinate?

You should always consider the type of seeds that you want to sow, to make sure there is a reason for sowing them over the winter. There is no point in sowing seeds of tender or tropical plants outside in the colder months. They do not need a period of cold to induce germination, and they will not germinate until the warmer weather arrives in spring. In the meantime, they may be killed by the cold, or be eaten by birds or animals, or they may rot. If you are sowing seeds of tender or tropical plants outside in areas where you have frosts, you would do better to wait and sow them when the weather warms up.

There are two quite different reasons for sowing seeds in the autumn or winter, and before sowing seeds this way, you should understand why you are doing it, so that you can choose the right sort of seeds and know what sort of results to expect.

My point here is "wintersowing" means different things to different people. We on this forum are all on the same page, so to speak, but there are those out there who are on quite another...

Karen

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #3210131

Karen, to clarify, are the last two lines yours or rob'splants' ? He seems like he's basically on the same page... just curious, thanks. That's really interesting about Europe and the history.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2007
10:23 AM

Post #3210672

Sorry, the last 2 lines are my words. Point is, "wintersowing" is a term which means different things to different people. For some, it's just going outside and throwing seeds in flower pots which are there. For others, it's just throwing seeds directly into beds, sometimes on top of the snow. For us, it's milk jug madness.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
2:28 PM

Post #3211239

-- How about Coleus?

anyone winter sow these?
I did see Suzy's comment on long time to bloom.

i have some seeds and really don't want to start them in the house.
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #3221977

tcs1366: Just saw your question about wintersowing Coleus. This tropical plant thrives in heat, so I started by Coleus seeds indoors under grow lights. I've read that these seeds don't germinate well via the wintersowing method.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2007
3:27 PM

Post #3223265

Thanks Shirley,

I did wander over to the Coleus forum. I'll probably purchase a heat mat (been looking on ebay) and do them in the house... though i just may do say 10 seeds as WS and see how they do... i think i have 100 seeds - so if 10 dont do well, i'll still have A LOT more.
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #3225346

It never hurts to try!
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2007
2:30 PM

Post #3229998

I know many of you already have seedlings coming up - AND SO DO I!!! I am quite excited but now here is my problem: I am in Zone 7a.
My jugs are on the deck with morning sum, now until about 11:30 which will rapidly get later. Should I move all of the jugs or just the ones that have germination or none into shade maybe at 10 in the morning?

Now it is quite warm outside, no frost for the past 5 days or so and highs getting to 60 today. If we get another cool down, with frost/freeze, how will the seedlings do? Will they need protection?

Here is what I have so far:
larkspur
malva moschata
penstemon
amaranthus caudatus
agastache foeniculum
cerastium
alyssum
convolvulus tricolor - these look quite sad with the seed on top and the body toppled over, will they recover?

I have noticed that nobody has wintersown vegetables yet (sorry if I missed some, there is so much to read). I have tomatoes (only a few of some varieties), eggplant, peppers and squash seeds.

The seed list on the wintersown site for zone 7 says to sow, for instance, tomatoes in March; do you have any suggestion as to when in March? Or should I just put them in next week and "have faith"? Again, what if we get a freeze? I could put all the seedlings into the basement. which is in the mid-50s, for a couple of days.

This has gotten to be a lot of questions, I apologize. Sometimes I feel like I don't know anything or am afraid of failure, so I come to you all to benefit from your experience. Thanx!

C.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2007 8:18 PM
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2007
1:52 AM

Post #3232728

Clementine: Congratulations on having so many seeds germinate already! They will be fine with morning sun and 60 degree temps. As long as you have adequate precipitation, they will continue to grow. If the temps drop, which is pretty likely since March weather can be very unpredictable, some of the seedlings will be culled by Mother Nature. However, the ones that remain will be the strongest and hardiest. Mother Nature has done the work for you.

As for veggies, you mentioned above only warm loving varieties. Last year I wintersowed my tomatoes in mid-March and the peppers in late March. I haven't tried wintersowing eggplant. The squash I grew last year was zucchini, which I direct sowed because it grows so quickly. Again, they need warm soil in order to germinate & grow.

Once you have wintersowed your seeds outdoors, don't bring them indoors as this may weaken their stems. Take the "leap of faith" and believe in your seeds. They are real troopers and they will survive!
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2007
2:39 AM

Post #3232936

Thank you, Shirley, you are so helpful and encouraging. Actually, I told my DH what questions I had posted and said: I bet they will say that if they don't survive they were weak, it will be survival of the fittest - and that is just what you said, in essence.

I will do as you did with my tomatoes and peppers. Did you sow them in individual containers or in jugs? I guess I'll start eggplants under lights.

I just love the WS forum (and the soil and composting forum), I read in it quite often. That is why I have some (LOL) faith in what I am doing and for the rest I just post a question.

Good night, C.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2007
8:52 AM

Post #3240178

Clementine,

Did your convolvulus straighten out? I had some Larkspur that seemed like they might have the same problem, bu they did indeed straighten out.

Suzy

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #3241003

Clementine: Always glad to help. We're are all here to learn and by asking questions, that's the best way.

I sowed by tomatoes & and peppers in individual jugs. I sowed each variety in different containers. When it came time for planting them out, I was able to separate them "gently" with my fingers or if need be with a sharp knife. I love the fact that wintersown seedlings don't need to be hardened off! They are ready to be planted directly into your garden. Yes, they might be initially smaller than ones grown indoors under lights, but they catch up very quickly and will start producing delicious veggies once the soil warms up and the temperature soars.

If you have a light set-up, then it's probably a good idea to start your Eggplant indoors to get a head start.

Convolvulus tricolor will recover when the temps warm up. It's probably is sulking with the chilly temps right now.

I'll have to wander over to the Soil & Compost Forum and check it out. I don't usually get over to that one.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 11:32 AM
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2007
8:07 PM

Post #3241796

Suzy, I just went to look at the convolvulus jug, it does not look all that great. There are a couple that look nice and stout, but there is one that is really tall and lanky and is totally fallen over, so that one is a loss, and one or two in between. I am hoping that that jug is not finished germinating, because not many came up.

Shirley, thanks for the heads up on the veggies. I am not going to have manytomato plants, but they are all different varieties. I got a nice collection from Trudi, each seed is different. And I bought some currant tomatoes (tini, tiny) and yellow pear tomatoes from Harvest Moon Seed Company (felcopruners.com). I am looking forward to a bowl of the two of them mixed together with chunks of fresh mozzarella, basil and olive oil.

I think I will put each seed in a styrofoam cup under a domed situation, not quite sure what yet, but have several containers available.

Thanks again, Shirley. And I love the Soil and Composting forum too. Need help from them on my lasagna beeds, great place, great people, too.
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2007
6:43 PM

Post #3247565

Clementine:

Don't give up on your Convolvulus tricolor. I think they will perk up as the temperatures rise.

Hope you get lots of delicious tomatoes this Summer. I also enjoy eating them drizzled with olive oil and some mozarella cheese & basil (of course wintersown) on top. YUM!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3248030

oh shirley... that is one of my favorite snacks... though i think i use balsamic vinegar too... i get that fresh mozz and garden grown basil. oh -- now i can't wait for summer!!

I had a 2# beefsteak once... i topped it with sharp cheddar and bacon and cooked it. oh man... outstanding.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America