Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: How do you make chamomile tea?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2007
7:44 AM

Post #3171402

Where can I buy the herb chamomile? Is it sold in the tea bag section of the grocery stores? What strength do you make it? How often do you water seedling trays with the tea?
Deborah♥
peony01
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2007
2:17 PM

Post #3172027

I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but Bigelow markets chamomile tea under the name "Cozy Chamomile" with the sole ingredient being chamomile flowers. I've bought it at Wal-Mart. Try www.bigelowtea.com for info. Don't know if this is what you're looking for. The gardener at the Alabama Wildlife Federation HQ grounds uses it regularly. I don't know the strength. I'll give her a call, if someone else doesn't answer your questions.
peony01
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2007
2:46 PM

Post #3172115

McGee & Stuckey write in " The Bountiful Container," brew up a batch of chamomile tea and water the seedlings with it." They don't address weakening the brew, but they do suggest it's best to water the seedlings from the bottom, as a general practice. Hope this helps. The chamomile tea may help minimize damping off, and it is organic.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #3173365

Cordeledawg/Deborah...

Good points made above by peony01...some folks do use it for damping off disease.

As for where to purchase seed so you can grow your own...

Even though "common" chamomile is most likely growing in your area there is a great variety called "Bodegold " which has much bigger flowers, and it's those flowers that you make the tea with.

Johnny's Seeds has seed packets of it as well as a few other kinds. This link will take you there:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/subcategory.aspx?category=205&subcategory=220

Have fun! Happy Gardening!

Shoe
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2007
10:20 PM

Post #3173376

Thank you Peony and Shoe. I didn't know it was flowers that were brewed into the tea...thought leaves were used.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2007
10:25 PM

Post #3173391

Yes, actually it's the petals of the flowers. And by the way, chamomile also grows great in containers in case you are short on space.

I used to go harvest the common chamomile, it springs up around here like a weed. (Matter of fact, some folks refer to it as such.)

Chamomile brewed with a couple rose hips makes a great tea. Not that I drink tea very often but when I do it is usually in the Winter, most likely cus I am brewing it with summer ingredients and love it!

Shoe

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America