-
AuthorContent
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2007
2:54 PM

Post #3172146

This article and set of photos made it easy. Thanks :)

Dea
dave

February 9, 2007
4:29 PM

Post #3172426

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2007
10:11 PM

Post #3182554

Good article Dave!! I don't grow tomatoes now because the birds and the squirrels get them before I do, but if the need should arise, I know what to do now.
You had some lovely peppers last fall at the RU that you brought to share, do you do those the same way?
Josephine.
Gustichock
Tandil
Argentina
(Zone 10b)

February 14, 2007
2:09 AM

Post #3186632

What exactly is a hairloom? I know the meaning of hair and the meaning of loom but... (?)
I really want to start cultivating herbs and veggies. As a matter of fact I've already started but I need a lot more to learn. Hopefully this coming winter I'll start sowing indoors so after the last cold I can plant my seedling outdoors.

Thanks a lot for sharing so much knowledge!

Gus.
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #3197503

Gus,
Here is a link with a good explanation. Hope that helps! :~)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heirloom_plant

Dave, that is a very helpful article and your step by step pics are a real plus.

Edited to say:
Gus, I just finished reading a really nice article by a member right here on gardens.com regarding heirlooms. If you have not already seen it, take a look.
http://gardens.com/learn/article/16/

This message was edited Feb 16, 2007 8:18 PM
TARAJEAN
Trenton, FL

October 24, 2007
5:57 AM

Post #4117324

How long do the seeds last ? The reason im asking is I believe my aunt brought back some seeds from Italy (of tomatoes) several years ago and never planted them. I wonder if they are still viable?
If so i live in florida and im gonna give it a try. I found out the hard way here in florida tomatoes need partial shade during the day or they dont flower they just grow to tremendous heights lol. im new to the forum but we have 5 acres that we can utilize and its just sitting here gathering weeds. thank you for the advice and happy planting to all ! !
dave

November 28, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #4240039

Sorry for not seeing this until just now...

In my experience, tomato seeds do last a long time, but with each passing year you'll have a smaller percentage of seed remain viable.

After 5 years, I would guess than 50% of them would still germinate. Beyond that, I really don't know.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Saving tomato seeds using fermentation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
About the same tcfromky 4 Mar 3, 2007 9:42 AM
Saving Heirloom Seeds - Varietal Spacing challweaver 1 Jul 24, 2007 2:30 PM
Fermentation seedpicker_TX 4 Sep 7, 2009 9:09 PM
seed saving flowerfantasy 1 Nov 27, 2008 11:42 PM
How long is "several days" RussMartin4154 11 Jul 15, 2010 8:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America