Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 11, 2007
6:25 PM

Post #3178553

Had to leave 12 types of bamboo when we moved..

But, the good news is: I think I'm getting one for Valentine's Day..lol

I spotted one at a local nursery (Golden Groove) but that's about all I can do for now.

Any suggestions for Hardy Bamboo in New Mexico? Clumpers only..

Thanks..

A.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2007
5:40 AM

Post #3183852

Where in New Mexico is that? I grew up there and never heard of that town.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 13, 2007
3:20 PM

Post #3184659

Hi there,
Yeah, me either. I grew up in ABQ . We're not too far from Deming, SilverCity, Alamagordo, Hatch, which are just a few of the larger towns surrounding us.

Lots of Pecan Orchards, cotton fields, Chili, and alfalfa.

I brought lots of cactus and lost more than half. They froze and I have several covered with tarps till we get some protection around the house.

Where did you grow up?

A.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2007 9:27 AM

This message was edited May 18, 2007 3:12 PM

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 22, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3215118

Hi Gourd, long time no see. I din't know you had moved. Tell us about it
Sandra
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2007
10:53 AM

Post #3216833

I didn't either...you must have started a thread somewhere about your move?

Such a distance too, changing states and all. Must have been difficult to leave so much of your gardens behind.

Molly
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 24, 2007
8:48 PM

Post #3221033

Hi Sandra and Molly,
Yes, lots of my stuff stayed behind.. I really miss the garden there. lots of cactus and succulents froze. Starting over here is alot of fun though, this time hopefully I know a little more about plants, last time I did not know anything.. made so many mistakes and lost so many plants.

Got two running bamboos, Nigra and Golden Groove, that is all they have locally. Also found these huge metal tubs (they look like bathtubs) that we are going to bury as barriers for the bamboo.

Have alot of room though.. Well, not as much as in CA. one acre here. But, it might be just the right size for me to weed..lol, the other was too much. I really like it here and we are just in the process of getting estimates for some rockwalls and a patio.. hopefully soon I can take my seedlings outside. I am so used to growing year-round that i've been growing inside my kitchen lots of Morning Glories, tomatoes, and a couple of flats of snap peas...

Hope you guys are doing well.

A.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #3222004

I don't know a thing about gardening in NM but these might be promising.

http://www.garden.org/articles/articles.php?q=show&id=2746

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 26, 2007
11:42 AM

Post #3226071

I am doing well, I am like you I need to downsize, so I can take better care of things, but you know how that goes when you start trying to cull things out. I just need to keep it--lol
Good to hear from you. I stay mostly on the Mid-South forum and when the daylilies are growing I stay on there some too. There are too many forums to keep up with now.
Sandra

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #3239925

Well at least you are at the better gardening end of the state... gets cold where you are, too, but nothing like where I grew up (Los Alamos, near Santa Fe)- CCOOLLDDD... had about a 3 month growing season there. No way you could ever grow bamboo in that climate. How cold does it get there in Mesquite? Is there water?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 2, 2007
4:41 PM

Post #3241258

snapple, thank you.

Sandra, sounds like a plan for us..lol. we finally got a couple of estimates for a fence and courtyard, maybe then I can start something.

Palmbob,
wow, I was raised in Espanola, NM, about 20 miles from Los Alamos.. that is a beautiful place there in Los Alamos. Most of my relatives worked in the labs there. My grandparents had property in Espanola and I still visit the relations there. I remember the ice on the roads there in Los Alamos, not a good drive.

It is going to be okay here, I think... The openess of it all is sometimes overwhelming, but being able to put in some fruit trees gives me some joy, especially the cherry trees. No there really is no water, not rains anyway, but there are ditches that carry the water to the fields here. Although we do not have water rights, our neighbors all do, we are kind of boxed in one acre here.

We do have a well, so that is great for us. I don't know how well the bamboo will do here, but gonna give it a try. I walked a little ways to take this photo, they grow alfalfa in that field, the nexy field is cotton, and across the stree from me are all pecan groves, behind us there is an onion field and soon to be grape vineyard. It should be very interesting here.. this is our house and didn't really get close enough to take the photo, but you get the idea.

A.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 2, 2007
6:14 PM

Post #3241474

Oh Gourd, that looks like a lovely place and yes I would think it would be very interesting to have so many different neighbors.
Sandra
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #3282294

I just found this thread...and didn't know you had moved!! Now, if you come through AZ on I-10...give me a yell and I will meet you in Benson!! Jo
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 15, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #3282906

Thanks Sandra,
I'm really liking it here too..

Hi Jo,
yes, I could have sworn I mentioned it to you in another d-mail.. that is one of the reasons I could not attend the RU in Socal..
A.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2007
2:47 PM

Post #3284081

You probably did...but you KNOW my memory chip has a chip in it! LOL Jo
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 15, 2007
2:49 PM

Post #3284093

Don't feel bad Jo, mine does too. Now this is what I think... "thank god I don't have to remember that!!! and now it goes for pretty much everything.. lots less stressful.

A.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 15, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #3285372

Sometimes I tell my kids my brain is so full of useless stuff that the important stuff just falls out--lol
Sandra
NJBGardener
Riverside, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2007
3:46 AM

Post #3286649

Hey Gourd, want me to go steel some of your bamboos? ha ha ha ha. Just kidding. But I was thinking that maybe I could go over to where you use to live and see if the new people will let me take some for you. What do you think.

Norma
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2007
9:56 AM

Post #3286963

Norma? Do you know how difficult it is to take bamboo?

Molly
:^)))
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 19, 2007
12:35 PM

Post #3297917

Oh Norma, you dear. Yes it is hard to dig out..lol I've moved some twice after it spread some (the Timber Bamboo).

You know they probably yanked it all out, I had planted back there in the middle of the horse corrales..lol.

Thank you for thinking about that though. I don't know how friendly they would be.

Norma, if you ever get a chance, and find a source for Blue Dawn Morning Glory, the one I had all over the place there. Can you grab some (lots of roots and bag them up in plastic and mail them to me.

I may have given you some in one of the pots, but it is too hard to know which pot. If you ever drive by my old home there, it is the one all along the fence and all around it just so you can know which one it is. It is a perrenial and spreads by underground roots. I would have to bring it in probably for the winter. Ipomoea Indica sometimes labled IpomoeaAcuminata at Lowes, HD and Target.

It easier to find someone that already has it though, you can get lots more roots in mass.

TTYL.
A.

A.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Grass and Bamboo Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bamboo stakes tiG 10 Nov 3, 2011 1:16 PM
Black bamboo question linden 51 Aug 6, 2008 3:15 PM
Hardy bamboos at zone 6 Esther_z6 21 May 6, 2008 12:31 AM
A few clumps of my grass :) hczone6 32 Sep 5, 2007 2:47 AM
Bamboo Seedling Speedyg 2 Feb 16, 2008 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America