Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: growing shallots

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eskinola
Glen Riddle Lima, PA

February 12, 2007
4:15 AM

Post #3180425

i'd like to try growing shallots this year. i'm in zone 6b, in PA.

i'd like a fall harvest this year and then a spring harvest next year. i'm going to plant bulbs, not seeds. does anyone have experience growing them and know whether i can plant some in spring and expect a successful fall harvest, and if they will overwinter well and survive until spring?

thanks,

joy
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2007
5:17 PM

Post #3181615

Yep, I'd encourage you to grow some! You'll actually get a harvest before Fall if you plant soon (From sets you can expect a crop in approximately 80-90 days.) If you know when to set out onion sets in your area that would also be a good time to set out your shallots. However, if you have any kind of protection like a cold frame or garden tunnel you could plant them as soon as you like.

Pretty much treat them as you would onions, keeping them well weeded and well-fed. When you harvest them this Summer/Fall save some, divide the bulbs, and replant for your Fall/Winter crop.

Happy Growing!

Shoe
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2007
3:25 AM

Post #3213445

Glad to see this thread. I planted some about 3-4 weeks ago. How long does it take to see shoots coming up? We've had lots of rain since I planted them and I thought maybe they had gotten root rot. Probably I'm too impatient! lol...
eskinola
Glen Riddle Lima, PA

February 22, 2007
6:29 AM

Post #3213719

thanks shoe... i have no idea how to grow onions either... but i'm willing to learn.

bookworm, i know what you mean. i'm impatient too. i wish i could answer your question. i can only add to it though LOL.

i have to find shallot sets. i don't know where to get them yet. anyone have any good sources? i prefer organic. perhaps grey shallots, but dutch shallots would do too.

thanks,

joy
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #3214339

joy, I just checked Johnny's Seeds. They still have a few varieties available but it looks like you better order quick, many of their other ones are already marked "sold out":
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/subcategory.aspx?category=1&subcategory=46

Bookworm, it can take a while for them to "declare", depending on how cold the weather has been as well as rainfall. The biggest thing is to not plant them too deeply, usually only stick about 3/4th of the bulb into the ground (I do a tiny bit deeper 'cause the rains tend to pack/lower the soil depth a bit, exposing more of the bulb than I want).

Shoe
eskinola
Glen Riddle Lima, PA

February 22, 2007
8:50 PM

Post #3215245

there is snow on the ground still. is it still ok to plant shallots now?

also, can you plant shallots from a market? we have an organic market nearby and i have a few bulbs...

thanks,

joy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America