Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Gas or gardening term?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IncurableGardnr
Nampa, ID
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2007
7:33 AM

Post #3180551

I am primarily a rose and flower gardener with a few grape vines and herbs on the edible inventory. After cultivating naught but weeds in the vegetable garden for more years than I can recall or would admit; the time has come to take the plunge. I am now in the research phase concerning which varieties would be best to plant of the types of vegetables I want.

I have to say, that what vegetable varieties boast about is very different from what flowers are proud of. Roses that are mildew and disease resistant hold their buds up high; perennials get press when they can claim tolerance to drought or sub-zero winters; and ground covers get coverage for their foot-friendliness, (I won't go there today.) A packet of vegetable seeds--more specifically, cucumber seeds--however, wears a Miss-Universe-type banner over its shoulder that boasts, "BURPLESS!"

So what I need to know here is just this: Does this cucumber have the best table manners and thus least likely to embarrass the other entrees when served alongside in the salad? Is this the non-carbonated variety of cucumber and 'burpless' was selected as the most tactful word to extol its qualities and/or general effect on the consumer? Or, is this a term that has been around for so long in vegetable gardening circles that its meaning is taken for granted, (and spoken with a straight face,) by all but those who are new to the art; rather like "dead-heading" in flower gardening circles.
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2007
8:13 AM

Post #3180560

Hi, and welcome to DG. I see that you just signed up.

This is very clever. You should post it in the Jokes forum.
Lots more folks would see it there and have a chance to
appreciate it.
IncurableGardnr
Nampa, ID
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2007
5:47 PM

Post #3181705

Thank you, I'll have to do that. I haven't had a look at the Jokes Forum yet. Gardening is a wealth of tongue-in-cheek, especially through the eyes of a newcomer. "Bolting" lettuce, for example; get a visual on that one...picks up its little skirt of leaves and makes a run for it.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2007
11:51 AM

Post #3184067

Incurable,

that is toooo funny!

P

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America