Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Gas or gardening term?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IncurableGardnr
Nampa, ID
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2007
7:33 AM

Post #3180551

I am primarily a rose and flower gardener with a few grape vines and herbs on the edible inventory. After cultivating naught but weeds in the vegetable garden for more years than I can recall or would admit; the time has come to take the plunge. I am now in the research phase concerning which varieties would be best to plant of the types of vegetables I want.

I have to say, that what vegetable varieties boast about is very different from what flowers are proud of. Roses that are mildew and disease resistant hold their buds up high; perennials get press when they can claim tolerance to drought or sub-zero winters; and ground covers get coverage for their foot-friendliness, (I won't go there today.) A packet of vegetable seeds--more specifically, cucumber seeds--however, wears a Miss-Universe-type banner over its shoulder that boasts, "BURPLESS!"

So what I need to know here is just this: Does this cucumber have the best table manners and thus least likely to embarrass the other entrees when served alongside in the salad? Is this the non-carbonated variety of cucumber and 'burpless' was selected as the most tactful word to extol its qualities and/or general effect on the consumer? Or, is this a term that has been around for so long in vegetable gardening circles that its meaning is taken for granted, (and spoken with a straight face,) by all but those who are new to the art; rather like "dead-heading" in flower gardening circles.
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2007
8:13 AM

Post #3180560

Hi, and welcome to DG. I see that you just signed up.

This is very clever. You should post it in the Jokes forum.
Lots more folks would see it there and have a chance to
appreciate it.
IncurableGardnr
Nampa, ID
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2007
5:47 PM

Post #3181705

Thank you, I'll have to do that. I haven't had a look at the Jokes Forum yet. Gardening is a wealth of tongue-in-cheek, especially through the eyes of a newcomer. "Bolting" lettuce, for example; get a visual on that one...picks up its little skirt of leaves and makes a run for it.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2007
11:51 AM

Post #3184067

Incurable,

that is toooo funny!

P

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America