Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Starting new garden...in search of seeds...

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 20, Views: 297
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2007
6:03 PM

Post #3181741

Hi everyone. I wanted to start out by saying how wonderful everyone has been in offering their advice as to how to get started on my new garden. From writing to several of the other growers and reading other forums, I see where you can trade seeds. What if one is just starting out on a budget and would like some sure-fire winer seeds? SO... I am asking if there are any gardeners out there who has any extra seeds they can spare, I will be sure to give them a loving home.

Do you carrot at all for me?
My heart beets for you,
With your turnip nose
And your radish face.
You are a peach.
If we cantaloupe,
Lettuce marry.

The veggies I am interseted in are tomatoes and peppers (sweet and hot), green beans, corn (would really like silver queen), cuccumbers,squash and okra. Or even anything you don't want!

I know it's a lot to ask but I will recipricate next season. I promise...on my fathers grave (who by the way took his life two days before New Years Day). Another reason I need to keep my mind active and to do something by giving love and nourishment. Please add me to your prayers. It's been very difficult...

If anyone has seeds to spare here is my address...and God Bless Everyone...

This message was edited Aug 14, 2007 2:11 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #3183145

I will look but meanwhile, my condolences on your loss.

I bet you get showered with seeds from the DG family.
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #3183661

Thank you very much for your condolences, Sally. It has been very difficult...good days and bad days.
And so far...no luck on any seeds.

Take care,
Angela

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2007
1:50 PM

Post #3184383

I don't have a lot of extra veg seeds. The local groundhog family made it less fun to plant bigtime. I do have at home Cucumber National Pickling, Dill, and Pepper Early Jalapeno(but that last are ten yrs old...but you could try the whole pack and see what happens)
There are many nice people in Dave's, but some days are not as busy as others. the weekend may be more active, it seems.
My mom and dad are both doing pretty well for mid eighties, but I know it can't be too many years now. I will be very sad even though I can see the writing on the wall and have had health crises with them that make it more real. "You're never really ready" and especially so in your circumstance
I also believe in the depressing effects of less sunlight in winter. I hope you are getting out some and trying to exercise. My husband's doc says exercise very important for feeling good all around.
I really like your poem- I'm going to make some little valentines for my family with them-cut out some veg pics from a catalog- Thanks for the ideas! Hope its a good day-Sally
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2007
5:06 PM

Post #3184978

Hi Sally...thanks for keeping in touch and your thoughtful comments. I will keep you in my prayers that God may give you strength during the time you still have with your parents. Let them know how much they mean to you each and every day. I'll never know why my Dad chose to end his life at such an early age of 64 but maybe one day, it will maje sense.
And the depression...winter or not can be very debilitating. That's why I thought starting a garden could be good therapy for me. I can't go to the seed trading site as I am not a member. But hopefully fellow gardeners will find there way to this post and have some extra seeds to spare.
I'm glad you like the poem...I've "bean" trying to come up with some new ones and as I do...I will forward them onto you.
Love and Peace,
Angela

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #3185451

I think gardening is excellent therapy. Starting seeds inside can be so fun, not unusual fo r ome types to sporut in less than a week, it's great to see the little green things. And I can get lost in thought outin the garden- I think they sometimes call that being in the zone? doing something that you enjoy.

Oops on my part- I misunderstood the page that says whether somebody joined the site. See., I'm relative newbie.
Oh- check out the form Carolina Gardening- membership not required.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2007 4:39 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2007
12:48 PM

Post #3194749

I thought to say, did you say your friend has chickens? It would be good to get some of that chicken litter early (as soon as the weather allows, IF the weather is ever going to allow any gardening LOL )and dig it in to your dirt, or get a comport working. It needs time to break down. Too much, too close to actually planting, may be bad .
I'm testing some okra seeds for ya. I had the pods and not sure how old they were. If they sprout at all, I will send.
Also, I made some little notes for my DH and three kids from your poem ideas. It was cute! they got a little grin from it. I don't normally do much like this. Thanks for the spark.

If you don't get from the mail, see if your dollar or discount store has seeds. Packets usually have plenty in them. Walmart also has cheap seeds- you don't need designer brands.
essentialplanet
Wilsonville, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #3196074

Hi Angela,

I am sending you a few seeds.

Tomato Juliet
Bush Bean Maxibel
Crookneck Squash
Lemon Cucumber
Tasty Green Hybrid Cucumber
Spring Swallow Cucumber

Hopy you get lots more!!

Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #3197259

Sniff, sniff...(smilin)
Thanks...you guys are great. Recent times have been very difficult for me and sometimes just getting dressed in the mornings are hard. I pray everyday to God for strength and guidance, to help in my healing of my fathers suicide.
That's why I want to have a purpose, every morning to get up and grow a beautiful garden.

Thank you again for all of your help.
Love and Peace,
Angela
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #3198925

Pinger,
Are you still needing veggie seeds? If so: Inside a regular envelope addressed to me, send me 3 first class stamps and your name and addy and I'll mail you back a yellow bubble mailer (have tons of these I need to get rid of) of asst'd veggie seeds. My name & info is in the addy exchange. Just look under the extras tab and then address exchange, scroll down 'til you see me.
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #3199392

Hi Berry...I think you may have to be a member to get the addresses?? I don't see the "addy exchange. Just look under the extras tab and then address exchange". But if I can get your address, I'd very much like to have some seeds.
Thanks,
Angela
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2007
8:44 PM

Post #3199481

Pinger,
Didnt realize you werent a member. Sending you a dmail with my info.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2007
3:24 PM

Post #3230148

Hi again- check your mailbox in a few days.
Hope you're having a good day and getting some decent garden prepping weather down there.
lizren
Coaling, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #3240937

Angela, I am putting together a packet of seeds for you , they will be in the mail tomorrow. I also want you to know of my prayers for you at this time of difficulty and sadness. My prayer is for you to have peace that passes understanding... Elizabeth
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3241116

Thank you sooo much Elizabeth. Your kind words and thoughtfulness could not have come at a better time. It's been a really tough morning emotionally. I know that human touch is a necessity for one to survive and I am so over due for a hug. But just knowing there are people like you, who take the time and effort to do a good deed, means the world to me right now. And I will take an online hug anyday.
Pinger
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 2, 2007
8:39 PM

Post #3241886

Angela,

I'm sorry I didn't find you post last week. I have been winter sowing and planted all of my vegetable seeds. However, go to this link http://wintersown.org/wseo1/Free_Seeds.html. You can send them a self addressed stamped envelope (SASE) and they will send you seed. They do this to get people to try winter sowing. I don't know if it is too late to winter sow in your area, but the site (http://wintersown.org/) should have good information for you. The Winter Sowing Forum is another area you can access here on DG, without subscribing, and there are people from southern states who can probably answer your questions better than I: http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/coldsow/all/.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Jody
lizren
Coaling, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2007
3:06 AM

Post #3245935

Angela, I sent out a seed packet today, but I'm not sure if it will really get in the mail until Monday (may have missed the pickup cutoff at the local PO) -- anyway, you should have some seeds by midweek. I'm still praying for you. Elizabeth
lizren
Coaling, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3269340

Got your kind card, Angela. Still praying for you daily. I have your name on a sticky note on my fridge so I will remember... Hope your gardening is going well. I spent the entire day working on a lasagna bed. And am exhausted!
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2007
9:02 PM

Post #3274219

Hi lizren...how's the lasagna coming along? I'm putting on the parmesan cheese today, with some extra sauce (water) and putting it in the oven in the morning! I'm very excited to see how well this works.
I hope your day is going well.
Pinger

PS...I keep your card by my seed station and read it every morning...(smilin')
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2007
9:07 PM

Post #3274232

Jody...thank you for the links and for the prayers. Both are very helpful!
Ping
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2007
9:09 PM

Post #3274237

Liz,
Are you doing your lasagna garden for this spring's crop? If so, are you adding fresh grass cuttings to it?
Thanks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America