Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Help!!!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 7, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Grassless
Warner Robins, GA

February 12, 2007
9:53 PM

Post #3182479

I am a city girl who just purchased my 1st house and knows nothing about gardening. I want to start off with the basics like what is the best grass to use? I live in middle Georgia if that helps out any. I want the pretty green grass but people keep telling me that down here in Georgia I can't have that unless I am ready to spend lots of money on my water bill. Can someone please help me in finding a good low maintanence grass that will survive the Georgia heat.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #3182766

You don't say what zone you live in but i am assuming it is at least 7 or 8...therefore the new disease free St. Augustine is wonderful but needs so much water...the zygoza (sp?) is not nearly as carpeted, but requires very little water and stays so green. I am happy down here in zone 9a in Texas to have Bermuda. I am getting ready to fertilize and then it only gets the rainfall (or a little help sometime). Ask your biggest and best nursery in town...I am just talking off the top of my head..
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #3183425

Turfgrass, in my opinion, is highly overrated. I know many homeowners want a "perfect lawn" and for it to be greener than the neighbors'. There are so many ecological reasons why turfgrass and lawns are unnecessary and detrimental. Nature strives for balance, and balance is achieved with diversity. Rarely in a natural setting would you find several thousand square feet of nothing but one plant. It's not natural.

Okay, getting off my soapbox now to try and give you the advice for which you asked. It does seem that bermudagrass would be the lowest maintenance choice. St. Augustine is beautiful, but does require more water in summer to keep it healthy and "happy."

Here's a link from the University of Georgia which seems to be a good starting point if you don't mind doing some reading: http://www.commodities.caes.uga.edu/turfgrass/georgiaturf/Turfgras/index.html

Best of luck! :-)
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2007
8:48 PM

Post #3199495

Grasless: I think you should post your question on the Georgia Gardening Forum and see if someone in your area might be able to help. I'm in zone 9a here in East Central Florida and we have St. Augustine Sod and it does require a lot of water until it's well established ... We've been in our home 32 years and our sprinkler system is on a timer and only comes on twice a week @ 1 hour for backyard and 1 hour for front yard at 4 O'clock in the morning and is off by 6 a.m. If I had my way, I wouldn't have ANY grass at all! I would love to have a totally native, natural setting with cottage gardens everywhere! But, my hubby likes lawn! Good luck in your new home and just remember, it takes time. You should take photo's of how your yard looks now and again approximately every 6 months, I think you will even be surprised at the difference as you begin planting and gardening!

Welcome to the Garden! You will find lots of great people and information here!
Grassless
Warner Robins, GA

February 18, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #3200518

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. You have been a really big help. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #3200542

Grassless,

I used to live in Savannah, GA. Almost everyone there had Bermuda grass. It definitely uses less water. If you are from another part of the country where it Bermuda isn't as common, it might take some getting used to. The blades are thicker than "regular grass" (zygosia).
Burnet
Ashland, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2007
4:34 AM

Post #3222387

How big is your property? Instead of a big expanse of grass with an occasional shrub or planting bed cut into it, you could have a big expanse of plantings (shrubs, trees, perennials, ground covers) with a lawn area or two cut into it, just where a lawn would be most useful. That would allow you to get the most value out of the smallest amount of greedy grass, and then use less water-hungry plants for the other areas.

Burnet

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2007
2:33 PM

Post #3223100

Grassless,

Why not walk/drive around and ask your neighbors for opinions? Especially if they have nice lawns. Knock on the door, introduce yourself, tell them you just moved there and ask for helpful information.
That's the way a neighborhood should operate! Might even make some new friends...

Gita

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America