Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daturas: starting datura inside

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 16, Views: 222
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2007
3:35 AM

Post #3190729

Hi, I am new to gardening... last year a dear friend gave me a datura ... and I trully fell in love... I let one pod open outside and left the seeds there... I have been really careful with the place and now there is plenty of snow there... I have some seeds and I want to start some inside... just in case... but regardless I want a border of daturas... so any help on starting them inside would be appreciated!!!!

thanks... I am on zone 6
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2007
1:10 PM

Post #3191330

Hi, I am in Zone 6 also, last year I started some in small peat cups and it worked good, the main thing is they do not like their roots disturbed so by planting the cup the roots are not touched, I also cut the cup down each side when planting.
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2007
6:03 PM

Post #3192344

I have had the best luck starting my seeds in the disposable tupperward boxes this year! I have used them for all my plants. I started out with them last winter with my Brugs and Datura. I didnt have a problem transplanting them just scooped the seedlings out with a fork and put them in a 20oz cup. from there I put them in the ground in spring. I had no clue they didn't like their roots disturbed... I'll be more gentle with them this year.

Thumbnail by Heavinscent
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2007
6:04 PM

Post #3192348

Heres a look into the Datura box
Good Luck!
Caren

Thumbnail by Heavinscent

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2007
6:17 PM

Post #3192393

Hmm .. that's a new one on me .. not liking roots disturbed. Datura is a weed, and in my experience they can take all sorts of abuse. I transplant them all the time and greatly disturb their roots. I've even gone as far as trimming the roots. They've never told me they didn't like it. Perhaps you are thinking of a different plant kareoke.

I pretty much start all my seed in one communal container. Once they sprout I transplant into their own individual pots. When it's warm enough to go outside I transplant them again into their final home. The picture on the left is how I start pretty much all of my seeds. The one on the right are some datura seedlings that just got put into their own little pots.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2007
6:18 PM

Post #3192397

Looking good Caren! Mine always end up wearing silly hats for a day or two! lol

X
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #3192404

Oops .. just noticed I posted the wrong picture. Here's the right one with my community nursery.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

larlienda
Strasburg, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2007
7:37 PM

Post #3192638

hi Caren...some very basic questions, do you have holes in the tops of the tupperware containers & do you take the lids off once the seeds have germinated?

thanks, lynda
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #3192824

No, I don't put holes in the tops or bottom. I do open them daily tho. The seed mix is moist not wet.
Last year I had a horrible time with fungus gnats so I had to take drastic measures. I leave the seedlings in the box lid and all till they touch the top of the box then move them to a 20oz cup. I leave them in the cup till they either out grow it of its time to plant out. I know there is other ways to battle the gnats but Im lazy and this works just fine for me lol!
Caren

Thumbnail by Heavinscent

larlienda
Strasburg, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #3192887

thanks! i think i may give your method a try...my first attempt with seedlings of any kind didn't go very well...i'm in a drafty, old house which made a difference, but i put in such a variety that being in one tray with a dome didn't work...some were screaming for out & others hadn't even peeked out yet :-)
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2007
3:31 AM

Post #3194183

Thanks everyone... i will definithy take your sugestions!!!
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2007
1:32 PM

Post #3194897

Last year I had some lovely Dats, I transplanted them and they died, then someone on the forum said they do not like their roots disturbed, so I figured that was why they died, now I am carful not to disturb them.
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #3195423

ok. what I did is plant them on those peat moss things that you add water and they inflate... so the seeds are in my bathroom, next to the radiator in a lillte dome ... this way when they sprout I will just add them to another peat moss container and so I can safely plant them outside... what do you guys think???

I can still put in glad containers withouth touching the roots... (well they don't have any yet!!!)
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2007
5:00 AM

Post #3203945

Any plant raised indoors will need to be "hardened" before it can stay outside 24/7. Take the plant out into a part sun/part shade place or take the plant out for an hour the first day, a little bit more the second day, etc. etc. until they are used to a full day of sun. Putting seedlings in the sun for a full day the first day out, often kills them. They have to build up chemicals in their leaves to protect them from the sun. It takes a few days to complete the process. It is similar to the plant having to get a tan before it can lie in the sun all day.
steph_gem
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 20, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #3206870

X do you start them outside?
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2007
2:47 AM

Post #3206893

do you winter sow daturas? I am going to plant some more... guess what? they are starting to sprout!!!!! I am so happy!!!!!
I am going to get some more dishes tomorrow... so happpyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2007
5:09 AM

Post #3207252

I start mine in the greenhouse. In fact, they are all starting to peek out wearing silly hats.

X

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America