-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2007
6:25 PM

Post #3192423

Any of you put together an upholstered headboard? Everytime I see it being done on an HGTV show I get excited about making one. I must make a trip to Mill Ends fabric outlet soon.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2007
1:58 PM

Post #3194997

We did one years ago because our bed was up against the outside wall and was wider than the space between the two windows... brrrrr. I used spray adhesive to mount the foam to a plyboard backing, then put batting and fabric over that... just like they do on TV with chair seats etc, flip it over and draw the fabric fairly tightly around to the other side (as evenly as possible), then staple it in place.

I have a couple of tips... I thought it would be best to use high density foam, but I wish I had used the cheaper foam (and maybe thicker batting) because it would have been softer to lean back against. Also, I made covered buttons and spaced them along for a "tufted" effect, but I didn't know about an important trick: get another button (any one will do, since you won't see it, bigger is probably easier to work with) and thread through it on the back side... this will give you something to pull against when you're trying to snug the button on the front side down into the fabric and foam, which will save you a lot of frustration!

Let's not even go into the design of how we supported the headboard... DH vetoed my design (which I got from watching Christopher Lowell... use a piece of plyboard or MDF that goes all the way to the floor, and then attach a board at the bottom that makes an "L" and goes under the legs of the bed to hold it in place), and his design (shorter piece of plywood with wooden pieces at each end that were supposed to bolt to the frame) turned out to be so unstable that we just ended up leaning it against the wall and shoving the bed into it to hold it in place. *sigh* I guess I went into it after all, LOL.

Anyway, I think if the bed is going up against a wall I'd suggest just mounting the headboard to the wall!
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #3195227

Great points, Critter... I will refer to your points when I start this project. I intend to secure it to the wall.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2007
3:27 PM

Post #3195246

Oh, and those DIY covered button kits work out really well!
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2007
4:40 PM

Post #3195493

I have used them w/ throw pillows.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2007
4:44 PM

Post #3195507

Cool!

Oh, and I wanted to add, about the material... The comforter that we purchased came with sheets in a coordinating fabric that I liked -- but I didn't like the fairly coarse texture of the sheets! However, they worked perfectly for covering the headboard and for making shams!
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2007
2:19 PM

Post #3214294

I have the board cut for my headboard and have used the 2x4 cut at a angle and half on the wall and half on the back of the headboard to attach it.

I plan on using a swimming pool worm cut in half to make it rounded on the top edge. I have a pic of approx what I want it to look like at home... will try to post tonight.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2007
2:47 PM

Post #3214350

Sounds good!

I like the pool noodle idea... although if you've got a nice piece of foam underneath, the top edge will round over pretty well when you pull the material over it and around to the back... If you're not sure, you can always pull just some batting over the foam and staple to the back to see the shape, decide if you want to include the half-round piece or not for more of an edge.

Have fun & good luck!
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #3214391

yea.. but I need a bigger rounded edge. It will have a different material on the pool noodle than the headboard back. you will understand when I find a pic.

ok something simular to this

Thumbnail by renatelynne
Click the image for an enlarged view.

renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2007
3:07 PM

Post #3214394

or this

Thumbnail by renatelynne

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #3214422

OH, I like that! I wondered if you were trying to "frame it out" with the pool noodle... very creative!

anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2007
3:43 PM

Post #3214485

pool noodle? the styrofoam things used in water exercise classes?
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2007
3:57 PM

Post #3214513

yes
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2007
8:10 PM

Post #3215145

your headboards are fabulous!
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #3215165

those aren't mine... they are what gave me the idea for mine.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2007
10:22 PM

Post #3215459

renatelynne, you are tooooo honest. yours are probably even more fab!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #3215506

You know we're anxious awaiting pics of your headboard! :-)
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2007
2:42 PM

Post #4128668

I am back on the subject! I saw an HGTV show last week w/ homemade headboard and they used a cleat to secure it to the wall. Please explain to me, real real slowly, what a cleat is and how it works.
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 27, 2007
6:54 PM

Post #4129364

Anastatia - I'm no expert, but I think is what you mean: http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Scribing_cabinets_and_Z_clips.html

Scroll down the page to see a hand-drawn diagram.

Edited to add...
The link is showing a cabinet hung with cleats. Most things I have seen hung that way have a recessed back or side panels to hide the cleats.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2007 1:56 PM
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #4130269

thanks, jasmerr. Did I understand from this article that there are metal cleats?
ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #4130557

I have made an upholstered headboard. As well I have an article in a book I have about it. Fairly simple. I did mine with a half sheet of plywood and 2 2x4's for the legs. You can attach them with screws to the back of the plywood or you can use 2x4 to make sort of a frame with the plywood over that. I put holes at the bottoms of the legs to attach the whole thing to the bed frame. You can cut the plywood to any shape using that whats-it-called saw that cuts out the shapes on the decorating shows. I then glued foam to the board and then wrapped it with the batting. That spray glue in the can is good for this type of thing. Then I wrapped it in fabric. I even finished off the back of mine to make it finished looking and so the wood wouldn't damage the wall if it bumped. Basically though you just staple the fabric to the back with a staple gun. Fairly simple but time consuming. You can buy all kinds of notions and trim to finish it off too. I think my books shows exactly how to do that edge thing and how they get that wrinkled or pleated look on that section like in your photo. If you want it, I can find it and scan it for you.
I think the other way to do it is by attaching a 2x4 horizontally to the wall with a groove cut out. Attach another horizontal piece of wood to the back of the headboard with the opposing groove cut out so it hangs from the one on the way. Imagine the one on the wall like a right side up 'L' with it sticking out from the wall then the one on the headboard being upside down then they would lock together and hang the headboard from the wall. Did I confuse you cause I think I confused me.
(The reason I use the spray glue is so the layers of foam and batting hold still inside the fabric and you don't get a wrinkly, lumpy mess under the fabric over time.)
Olivia
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #4130582

ga_peach, does the headboard wood with the cut groove to the opposing cut groove need to be nailed together? the article jasmerr has does not mention nailing these together and I cannot imagine them not being nailed together.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #4130602

Oh my gosh! Call me special. A cleat is not always the term used for the strip of wood secured along a wall to the studs and that is what the heavy object is secured to, right? I got it!!!!
ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #4130723

woah! anastatia...take it slowly...I am blonde...just kidding. I did get confused though. I am not sure what a cleat is. Here, I did a rather juvenile drawing of what I am talking about. It does not need to be nailed, it just hangs. Personally, the one with legs was easier for me.
Pardon my writing and my goofy drawing. I have kids running all around driving me crazy.
Olivia
ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2007
2:09 AM

Post #4130727

Forgot to attach it ...sorry

Thumbnail by ga_peach

ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2007
2:28 AM

Post #4130780

I scanned these instructions in for you. Disregard the dated fashions and the shape. You can do whatever shape you choose. Also, my mom buys me all these bargain books for like a buc at these sales for do it yourself projects cause she knows I am very artsy-fartsy and a real d-i-y'er. I like them cause the concepts never change, just the style.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2007 9:36 PM

Thumbnail by ga_peach

ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #4130781

page2

Thumbnail by ga_peach

ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #4130786

page3

Thumbnail by ga_peach

ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2007
2:36 AM

Post #4130798

I also have a pattern for one where it is made of tufted squares of silk which looks to be very beautiful but really time consuming so needless to say, I never did it.
I don't know what they used for their half round edge, maybe is says, but I priced some of the stuff at stores and I am sure your noodle idea is cheaper.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2007 9:40 PM
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #4131714

ga_peach, I am already a fan of yours; "kids running around" and you remain artsy fartsy. But then the artsy part contributes to your good mental health! I will read this all slowly and get back to you.
ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2007
3:49 PM

Post #4132031

Reading it confused me a little because I can never concentrate. I just look at the pictures.
I know that sounds like I have the IQ of a dolt but that is the brain damage you suffer from when you have children. I have totally lost my attention span.
The reason I did mine with the separate legs is because at the time I made it, I had found a pattern is southern living that called for the frame method using nice wood and then putting in a padded insert in the center for a child's room and I didn't have this book at the time to show me this method.
Looking at something totally different, I went to Calico Corners one time. I don't know if you have ever seen them where you live but they are a high end fabric store for decorator fabrics. They also upholster, sell finished products and you can order furniture from them like couches for a few grand and then either do them your self or have them do them. Anyway, they had a headboard there similar to the red one posted here. They wanted a crazy price for it but I looked it over. They used this exact method. The only difference was they actually used a solid color fabric in the back instead of white that coordinated with the rest of it. Then they got that rick-rack sort of trim and covered all the seams in the back. Basically they made it looked really 'finished'. I thought 'wow, I could do that' but I don't have a storefront to command those prices.
ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #4132046

Jasmerr,
Sorry, yesterday I couldn't get that link to load that you posted. I see it now and if that is what a cleat is, that is exactly what I meant. Your link explains it much better than my little stick figure drawing.
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 28, 2007
4:52 PM

Post #4132234

ga - your hand drawing was great. I only know what cleats are because I watch so much HGTV!
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #4132463

Calico Corner is a great place for ideas. Their prices are crazy like mortgage your house crazy.
ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2007
7:47 PM

Post #4132723

Yeah, so you know exactly what I am talking about. The one I know of here is around the corner from The Country Club of the South. That is the subdivision with the gates that Jeff Foxworthy, Whitney Houston, Football Coaches live in. That is also where that singer from TLC burnt down her boyfriends house and where Allan Iverson is now suing his builder on a 2.2 million dollar home. So...If that gives you an idea of their crazy prices. I saw fabrics go there at $40-$60 a yard. An unupholstered couch for $3000 and then you have to purchase the fabric to cover it at the rates I mentioned at on average 10 yards per sofa. I am lucky if I spend $800 or so on a sofa. And even then my frugal hubby has these time limits in his head on how long things should last so I better keep it minimum 5 yrs.
I just get the catalogs and browse for ideas and see if I can get knock-offs elsewhere.
Hey, and speaking of them, they have a drapery catalog thing that shows various picks of valances and draperies and the types of windows they would be used for. It is just simple drawings but it does show the names of each type and can be helpful in finding ideas pertaining to what styles are out there. It may help in your valance quest on the other post.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2007 2:51 PM

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #4147741

There's a Calico Corners in this area which has fabrics starting probably in the $16/yd. range. Actually, $40-$60/yd. isn't the highest price out there. When you get into really high end fabrics, you're talking three digits per yard. And there are high, high end specialty fabrics even pricier than that. Some of the expensive fabrics are so beautiful they're works of art.

It's possible to find lovely fabrics at a reasonable price, though. But if you fall in love with something more expensive, then you might just buy a yard for pillows or a couple yards for a small occasional chair. That way you get the oomph without breaking the bank to cover an entire sofa.
Also, you can stretch the pillow fabric by using the pricier fabric on only one side, while a less expensive one is on the back.
ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2007
5:18 PM

Post #4164201

anastatia,
Did the instructions help you at all in your headboard quest? I am just dying to know and see what your doing there.
You'll have to let us see the finished product for whatever you're doing.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #4165100

I will let you see. I originally planned on making one for a friend who moved and had nothing (divorce) but he did get a bed w/ a head board donated. Now I will plan on making one for a daughter, grown. However, she is living @ home since her little house we were helping her fix up was burglarized a few week ends ago while she was away. She still has to have her bent metal door and frame replaced. Her homeowners ins. has not come thru yet. I keep thinking if we can fix it up and make it look homey (it is not now) she will gain confidence. She has great neighbors. We will install some motion detector lights and dusk to dawn lights too. But this friend who I originally planned on making the head board for is living in a little rental with 0 stuff in it. He does have some limited $ to put toward decorating/furnishing and I am going over there Sat. So maybe another project is in store for me. I will be in touch w/ some you more talented people.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America