Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bromeliads: What Do you buy a Coleus addict?

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 28, Views: 248
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2007
3:50 AM

Post #3194239

For Valentines,,,Bromeliad
Can anyone give me alittle advice on the care?
or The name of this one I've searched google images
and Can`t seem to find anything on it.
Thank You from a Coleus Addict.
Pheadra

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Click the image for an enlarged view.

digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #3196281

I can tell you that your plant is a Guzmania, very likely a hybrid, and a stunning one at that. It looks a little like Guz. Nacho, but the color banding on the bracts is much more intense. It almost looks like the inflorescence turned into an "albino" form. Keep it in strong Winter light and water when dry. Most of all it wants the humidity to be high and air moving. Watch for offsets to form in the lower leaf axils and you can carefully cut them off and root them when they are about 1/3 the size of the blooming plant. When you do, be sure the part you are cutting is woody and don't be afraid to take a little bit ot eh mother plant with it. Typically you will get 3-4 offsets (pups) from each mature blooming plant. Often, these mass-produced Guzmanias are forced into blooming a bit prematurely and this may limit the number of pups it can produce. You don't have to remove the pups at all if you want to grow a multi-headed "new" plant. The blooming "branch" will slowly dry and you can remove it then. Gumanias keep in great color for many months making them the absolute favorite for high-end hotel lobbys.

I'd love to have a pup if you want to trade for some other Bromeliads. I'm praying for Spring here where the Winter has been hard and long.
Dave.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #3196291

Wowza! That is a gorgeous bromeliad. Where did you find something like this?
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3196382

Just for grins I took a look at Deroose Plants online catalog and it appears that your plant may well be Guzmania Kay.

http://www.derooseplants.com/en/select_plant_details.asp?PlantWebInfoId=413

Deroose is a giant grower of Bromeliads (among others) in Belgium and Orlando (Apopka).

It's a real beauty.
Dave

This message was edited Feb 16, 2007 3:46 PM
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 16, 2007
9:24 PM

Post #3196524

gorgeous bromeliad
chris_lcf530
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #3196551

I dont have any Bromeliads, but that really is beautiful!
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3196600

Dave,Thank you for the information,I have looked very closely at it and I see a very small side shot developing on one side.As soon as it is big enough to remove It is yours.I also noticed small brackets
or something coming up from the first set of White leaves.

hcmcdole,I`m not sure where DH got it I know it was in Albany,I`ll ask him. I do know that he paid 23.00
for it.

Allison_FL,Thank you

lcf530,This is my first Brom.DH has 3 or 4 of them.HMMM makes me wonder who it was for HUH.lol
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3197243

I don't know anything about Bromeliad's, but that is one BEAUTIFUL plant! I want one just like it! Do you know where "Cupid" purchased that Beauty?
JanetOS
Ocean Springs, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #3198752

Very unique bloom!!!
Love that one!!
Congratulations.
Janet
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 17, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #3198813

Oh Lin you must get some Bromelaids they grow carefree and love Florida garden beds :))
We don't have many but dreaming of getting more in Spring !!

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 17, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3198827

Janet how are your broms doing !!!
I love the few we have !!

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2007
4:44 PM

Post #3198833

Many years ago I had one exactly like that silvery green one with the pink bloom. I love that last photo, gorgeous color! Are they planted in sun? Or do they prefer shady conditions? I don't know why, but I thought they liked full shade. I have mostly sun in my yard, but I thought it would be neat to hang some of these in the trees, if I could keep the squirrels away from them!

Oh, also, how much water do they require? If I put some in the trees, would I have to water them every day?
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 17, 2007
4:59 PM

Post #3198887

I like the Neoregelia broms their the most colorful ! Lots of them like Full sun somre requier 30-50 percent shade. Some need full sun to get more colorful
I also read cooler weather mkes them more colorful !
Hubby had the the silver vase variegated Acheime when I met one in pot/ We planted it in ground 4 years ago and it has had a dozen of more babies each year they bloom for months ! None have died. We gave a half dozen away in Oct/Nov to neighbors and some went out to trades !!
This is Brom Neoregelia Tri-Color I got her last Spring.
We keep vase full and water once a week in Summer. Their all in ground, transplant well too.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 17, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #3198955

A few I dream of but be lucky to get one !!
I love them all !
Love to have
Aechmea Ice Tea
http://www.bromeliadworld.com/productView.asp?productID=139
Androlaechmea 'O'rourke
http://www.bromeliadworld.com/productView.asp?productID=126
Aechmea Bromelifolia
http://www.bromeliadworld.com/productView.asp?productID=30
Neoregelia Ruby Slippers
http://www.bromeliadworld.com/productView.asp?productID=29
Sunshine Pink
http://www.bromeliadworld.com/productView.asp?productID=106
Rosa Lineato
http://www.bromeliadworld.com/productView.asp?productID=69
Cotton Candy
http://www.bromeliadworld.com/productView.asp?productID=143
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2007
5:33 PM

Post #3198965

I love them ... so colorful. I didn't know they would grow in the ground. I always thought they were epiphytes (sp) that you had to grow in moss baskets. And, I thought they HAD to be grown in shade.

See, I am learning something new every day here on DG!

Ya know, I just remembered ... I have a plant, I think it's some sort of Bromeliad, growing in soil in a glass vase ... hold on, I'm gonna go take a picture!

Thumbnail by plantladylin

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2007
5:36 PM

Post #3198973

Ok, I took it out front to get a clearer shot. I've had this plant for probably 3 or 4 years, but don't have a clue as to the name.

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2007
5:39 PM

Post #3198984

oops .. posted the same pic

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2007
5:43 PM

Post #3199000

Oooh Allison ... those are so pretty! And some are pretty pricey too, aren't they? I love "Cotton Candy" ... may have to put that on my "Wish List'. And I really like that first one too - "Iced Tea". Love some of those vivid colors. I gotta do some research and read up on these babies! Thanks for posting those links!
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 17, 2007
7:18 PM

Post #3199254

Aechmeas and Neoregelia Live in dirt easy to grow inside as house plants but where warm like Florida excellent in garden beds ! There are lots of pictures here in this forum of them growing in peoples gardens !
Not all Bromeliads are Airplants. Airplants grow without soil while most types of Bromeliads do best in soil.
Most tillandsias are epiphytes (plants that derive moisture and nutrients from the air and rain and capable of living without soil), and are therefore often referred to as “air plants”. These Tillandsias have highly evolved characteristics that allow them to live under very harsh conditions, such as in tree canopies, on cacti and rocks or even in desert sands, under conditions that range from extremely hot and dry to cold and very humid Tillandsias are amazingly adaptable, able to survive long periods of time with little attention, provided they are placed in well lit and ventilated rooms and are sprayed with water once and not more than twice a week (direct sunlight is best avoided). Adding low dosages of fertilizer to the water is very beneficial to the plants. Their incredible characteristics allow them to be mounted on wood or rocks, even with some types of glue, or even to be used as live plants in humid or dry terrariums. Tillandsia blooms are rich in color and bright, often changing the coloration of the entire plant during the blooming cycle, which also makes them perfect options for floral arrangements in single plants or multiple plant combinations
http://www.teasnursery.com/page11.html
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 17, 2007
7:32 PM

Post #3199286

PS not sure what your plant is Lin maybe someone else will ! Might even start a new thread with it. Very pretty love the variegation.
I went outside today and a Brom I call Cindy as a neighbor Cindy gave it to us when it was tiny, tiny and all green. She said it did nothing special just
plant it here in the dirt. She had wanted one of our Broms she said was hard to find anymore.
Well in Nov 2006 I will post picture Cindy was turing beautiful deep purple fushia color.
Today I went out she is larger and no green all solid deep deep a purple or fushia. Gorgous. This is Nov 2006 pic I'll try to get a new picture tomorrow !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2007
7:50 PM

Post #3199329

So Pretty! I am really going to have to do some reading on Aechmeas ... and I've never heard of Neoregelia before. Are all of these plants in the Bromeliad Family. It is soooo confusing. I have heard of Tillandsias before, I know of the ones we always just called "Air Plants" that you see living in Oak tree's here in Florida.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #3199330

oh ... just went to Plant Files, typed in Bromeliad ... so many Gorgeous Plants and lots of info!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2007
8:03 PM

Post #3199353

I sure hope someone ID's that one Georgiagardener3 got for Valentine's Day ... That is one of the prettiest I have ever seen and I sure would like to find one!

I looked at every one in Plant Files and didn't see one like it there. I did however find one very close to the one I have ... Aechmea mulfordii 'Jubilee'. Don't know if that's it, but I'm going to post a photo on the Bromeliad Forum to see if any of the experts can ID it for me.
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2007
8:16 PM

Post #3199388

I believe Digital Dave Id it correctly. as Guzmania Kay
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #3199414

Oh Thanks ... I missed it! Now I will be on a search to find a source for that one.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 17, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #3200023

Yes their all in the Bromeliad family . I like the Neoregelia best their most colorful . there are thousands of different Broms ! Let me find a special link for you !
JanetOS
Ocean Springs, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2007
8:35 PM

Post #3292770

Hey Allison,
Most of them are doing great, although pemiento has no pinkish color yet, as it has been inside all winter. I didn't want to take a chance with it. I brought it out last week, and am hoping it will start changing soon.
I did lose my black chantini, not sure what happened to that one, just slowly withered away.
Thanks for asking. Yours look great!!!
Janet
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #4516607

I'm back!!! LOL and could use your help again.
But first i should mention that through all DH;s hard work I did manage to keep the first one alive and I now have 3 wonderful blooming offsets from it...

Now back to the show!

georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #4516611

Up close and beautifulll

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America