Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Need help with Bird of Paradise seedings

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 9, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 17, 2007
5:52 AM

Post #3197742

We grew these Bird of Paradise from seeds and they are 6 months old growing inside. Some of the leaves have black spots on them. Do you know why and how to treat it? I used plain Japan dry soil from by back yard.

Thumbnail by MGJapan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 17, 2007
5:54 AM

Post #3197744

Here's another picture.

Thumbnail by MGJapan

MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 17, 2007
5:55 AM

Post #3197746

and another one.

Thumbnail by MGJapan

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2007
4:01 PM

Post #3198709

In your third pic I can see some white stuff on the stems and undersides of the leaves--I think that could be your real culprit, could be some scale or maybe mealy bugs (or maybe something else, I can't tell without seeing a closeup!). If it's scale or something like that, they make honeydew which often leads to sooty mold which could be the black spots on the leaves. I would try taking a q-tip dipped in alcohol and use it to wipe off the white stuff, then give the plant a good shower/hose off to get rid of the black stuff. The black spots could also be some other sort of fungus, soil from outside is going to have all sorts of fungal spores in it which will start to grow when you give it warm moist conditions, when you start seedlings you're better off using a sterile seed starting mix. I would also recommend using potting mix instead of garden soil for anything that you're growing in a container--garden soil is often too heavy and can lead to root rot when you use it in containers, but potting mix is designed specially for containers to give them good drainage. Changing the soil won't fix the problem you have now, but it could help save you from more problems later on.
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 17, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #3199599

Ecrane3, thank you very much for all the great information and it will be put to good use. Great tip about the soil and I will change it all out. arigato.!
BjsBloomers
Lewiston, CA
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #3215511

Yes, it looks to me also, that you may have mealy bugs or something else going on on the under side of the leaves. Be sure to wash the plant well before putting it into new soil or you might just bring them with the plant. Bj
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 23, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #3216198

Hi Bj and thank you very much for that very important tip.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #3226927

I have a BOP that got leaf scale (LS) last summer. I used a product called NEEM, judiciously on a regular spraying schedule of once a week. I had it on the run, too, until the rains came and kept washing it away. I love NEEM on the plants, cause it really makes them shine, too!

Trouble with the LS is that they can burrough down into the soil and come back again, so it's important to treat the soil too. And wash your pruning equip and tools with bleach, as you can transfer it back and forth, especially to any Sago Palms you may have. Good luck!
MGJapan
Houston, TX

February 27, 2007
9:30 AM

Post #3229313

Hi Gymgirl, thanks for the tip and I was able to find Neem on ebay. We will give it a try this season.
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

March 11, 2007
7:12 PM

Post #3271068

Take a Q tip or Cotton tip, dip in 50% alcohol, and wash off. Then take a soft tooth bruch to remove the dead insects. You may need to do this several times. Norma

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America