AuthorContent
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2007
10:55 PM

Post #3199871

Hello Everyone,

I was out cleaning up by beds today, raking the pineneedles and came across eggs, partially buried under the needles. This is a 12' x 4' bed and there are well over 50 eggs. Could be as many as 70. I have a pond nearby and frequently get snakes and turtles. The eggs are semi-soft and round, kinda squishy. Some are quite small and others are the size of a small plum. I covered them back up as well as possible. My rake probably damaged a few.

Can anyone tell me what I have in my beds by these pictures? My camera is not great so this is the best I could do.

Thumbnail by knolan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3199877

Here is another picture. You can tell they are kind of clumped together in spots.

Thumbnail by knolan

ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #3199899

Knolan - Are they round or oblong?
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #3199918

They're round.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2007
11:14 PM

Post #3199926

Turtle eggs are round. I just think you have several kinds of turtles from that pond, using your nice soft soil to dig and lay eggs in. I get them in my yard, too - from a pond nearby. I just can't figure out why the predators haven't got them yet.
I'm eager to hear what others have to say...
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2007
11:16 PM

Post #3199934

There is a large ant bed on the other side of the bed which I treated today. I get possums, racoons, skunks and armadillos. I'm pretty surprised nothing has found them either.

I do hope they're turtles. Love those guys.
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2007
11:17 PM

Post #3199938

Maybe all the foot traffic scares them away ?
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #3199953

I saw a turtle laying eggs last year in my neighbor's yard. Got permission from them to cover the spot with a big square of hardward cloth, then pegged it down. The very next morning, something had dug under the hardware cloth, and torn open eggs were all that was left. They can smell them. I am amazed that any survive. This is not my first encounter with this, and they have always been found and destroyed. This was the first time I tried to protect them.
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #3199968

OK - I'm asking a serious question. What if somebody
poured garlic juice in the area? Would that deter predators?

(You can chuckle now, if you feel so inclined, but I really want
to know)
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #3199985

I'll keep an eye on them and hope for the best. I'm not sure I want to go out and buy all the incubating materials, especially since I might have damaged them. I caught a turtle laying eggs in my backyard last year on Good Friday. Ants got to them.

I hope they make it.
Stelco
Dewitt, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #3200395

You don't have to buy anything. You just need to transfer the eggs to a safe haven and give them the same environment that they are in. So, a box of some type would possibly be a cost. You may have something that you aren't using for this purpose.

Another idea would be to dig down a couple of feet in a square and put some chicken wire around the nest and bend it over to prevent predation.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2007
1:41 AM

Post #3200432

Thanks, Stelco.

I have a 10 gallon aqaurium that's not in use. Should I mix some soil, vermiculite and spagnum moss (got that off a website Ceejay sent me) and put them in there with an incubator light? Do you think handling them will be okay? They're very round and it will be hard to tell which way WAS up unless I move the aquarium around with me as I dig them up. I have a wagon...I can do that. That was a 'duh' moment, sorry. Hmm...I also have a 25 gallon, plastic storage box that's not in use. Should I keep them outside, inside, in the garage?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #3200601

i dont know if this will help you or not... but i read this thread the other day. Maybe the gal could give you some guidance

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/644337/
Equilibrium

February 18, 2007
4:41 AM

Post #3200821

Great that you knew you had to keep the eggs up. Thats one little critical fact that some people don’t think to mention. Turtle eggs really should be handled ever so carefully and eggs should be repositioned exactly the way they were when they were found. You can take a black marker (pencils are too sharp and pointed) and place an arrow pointing to N on the top of each egg and then dissect that arrow with another line. This helps people reposition the eggs in the exact same orientation they were in before they were relocated. Sometimes merely moving an egg can rupture the membrane that attaches the developing embryo to the top of the shell but if you accidentally position the egg sideways in an incubator, that could place unnatural pressure on the membrane. If that membrane becomes compromised or detached, the life line to the little one has just been cut off.

Fireants are wiping out eggs of many turtle species so some people are incubating them in tortilla warmers to help out. A tortilla warmer filled with some of the same earth they were originally found in should work. You would want to keep the earth damp, not moist. I’m sure there’s information on the net about volunteers using cheap old tortilla warmers which everyone either has or knows somebody who has.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2007
5:09 PM

Post #3201896

That's great information. Thak you Equilibrium. A tortilla warmer? I would have never guessed.

I think I'm going to have to try to protect at least some of the eggs. There are far too many to do them all.
Equilibrium

February 18, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3202177

Pretty bizarre, eh? It's one of those, "who woulda thunk" deals. I guess people do what they can to try to lend a helping hand. Exotic Fireants are a big issue down south.

So glad I told you to go on line to find information about volunteers using cheap old tortilla warmers- not. I just went on line to try to pull up a few sites and all I could find was information about how to cook turtle meat and turtle eggs for about 10 pages. Really sorry about that. What I recall reading is that the average tortilla warmer is just the right temperature for incubation. Since no information seems to be available on line other than how to prepare turtles and turtle eggs for a fine dining experience, they take the earth from the area where the turtle eggs were found. They place that in the bottom of the tortilla warmer. I was told they brought the tortilla warmer over to where the eggs were to reduce over handling them so the eggs could be placed directly into the make-shift incubator. They used a different marking system than what I suggested but I don't recall what it was however the end result was the same in that the orientation of the eggs would be the same in the tortilla warmer as it was where the eggs were found. After the eggs were placed in the tortilla warmer, it was then moved back inside her house. A spray bottle was used during the turtle egg "cooking" to keep the area damp. You would need to check on your tortilla warmer daily. Please don't help them break out of their shells. I know it is hard watching them struggle and I know some might not make it but this is for the best. After your new babies have hatched, you might want to take them right back to where the eggs were originally found so they can make their own way out into the world. You will be sharing photos won't you ;)

Here's another added little nudge to consider a tortilla warmer- the sex of many turtles depends on the incubation temperature of the egg not sex chromosomes. Higher temps around 88°-89° in some species generally result in females and lower temps for some species of around 79°-80° generally result in males. Most tortilla warmer hit a decent temp range to produce both males and females right on the money. If you want to find out what temps yours will attain, go to WalMart and get one of those $1 floating fish tank thermometers and stick it bottom down in the soil. The reading won't be perfect but for a buck you can get pretty close. If your temps aren't in a decent range, you could always add more earth or leave the lid partially cracked to help regulate temps.

If they hatch and you find you are a Red-Eared Slider Turtle Mommy, would you please consider taking them to a pet shop.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2007
7:57 PM

Post #3202365

Wow. I have a styrofoam tortilla warmer. Is that the kind you are talking about?

Looks like I have a new project. I've done tadpoles and butterflies...this will be a new experience.

My only question now...what if they're snakes?
Equilibrium

February 18, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3202481

Snake eggs... lucky you. I love snakes.

The tortilla warmer I saw used definitely wasn't styrofoam. It had a clear lid like a slow cooker and it was electric just like a slow cooker. The lid was all scratched up from use and you couldn't see through it. Mine is not electric and is some sort of a tan plastic but my MIL has an electric one. Give me a minute. Lemme see if I can find an image on line. If I can't find a photo on line, I'll take a photo of hers but I'm pretty sure I've seen them at WalMart. They're pretty common around here but we're in a heavily Mexican area so maybe we just buy them more out here by me than by you possibly?
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2007
8:49 PM

Post #3202497

I'm southeast Tx so I can probably find one. I've never seen an electric one. That's pretty neat. I'll bet Wally World has one.

If they're turtles, I'll definitely donate them to the pet store. If they're snakes, want them? Lol. Do snakes lay that many eggs?
Equilibrium

February 18, 2007
8:55 PM

Post #3202518

This is like the one I have and it isn't electric-
http://www.texasrollingpins.com/warmerset.jpg

This is like the one my MIL has but hers isn't red. Looks as if Salton makes them-
http://www.pricescan.com/ItemImages/ImagesL/720829.jpg

Some of the incubators they have out there are pretty darn cheap these days as many kids love to see chicks hatch. If you buy an actual incubator, just make sure you don't get one that automatically turns eggs. That's fine for chicken eggs but not great for herp eggs.
Equilibrium

February 18, 2007
8:58 PM

Post #3202526

Oops, typing when you were typing. Depends on the snake but I don't think those are snake eggs even though I can't see the photo all that well. Time will tell ;)

Only donate them if they're Red-Eared Sliders. The turtles that are indigenous to TX should be released and probably couldn't be sold by a pet store anyway.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #3202633

I can't believe that I have never seen a tortilla warmer like that. I cook alot!

Thanks for all of the wonderful info. Time will tell if my turtle mommy skills are up to par.
Equilibrium

February 18, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #3202678

You've been deprived. You poor thing. All joking aside, if you don't already have one (we use hers for parties) I wouldn't buy one. They're sort of silly to own because how long do tortillas last? It's not like the family eats and then grazes on them all night long and we use ours mostly to keep them from drying out.

If you're going to try this without a tortilla warmer or incubator, you could easily create your own using a heating pad set to low that doesn't have an auto-off feature. You could pick up a rubbermaid or sterilite storage box to set on top of the heating pad. Those come with lids which would help out with humidity. I've done this to germinate seed before. You can regulate the soil temps by adding or removing dish towels from underneath the storage box. This is where the $1 floating fish tank thermometer comes into play.

You'll be fine. No need to invest a lot of money.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2007
6:35 PM

Post #3205462

Have you done this, Equi? I have to wonder why it is necessary to heat up the turtle eggs when they are not heated up out there in the yard. Just curious...
ginger749

February 19, 2007
6:57 PM

Post #3205519

It is very important to keep the humidity up .
I would put them in your aquarium ,with a gallon of water in a bucket .
Then a glass lid to keep the humidity in .
Include lots of the mulch from where you get the eggs .

These were 14 snake eggs .
The warmer the temp . The quicker they hatch .

Thumbnail by ginger749

ginger749

February 19, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #3205550

This was all 14 of them on a branch over the water .
They were 10 inches long at birth .

Thumbnail by ginger749

ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2007
7:21 PM

Post #3205594

ginger - What kind of snake?
ginger749

February 19, 2007
7:25 PM

Post #3205604

All info here .
http://www.smuggled.com/auspyt4.htm
joepyeweed
Peoria, IL

February 19, 2007
7:51 PM

Post #3205678

They look like puff ball mushrooms to me.
ginger749

February 19, 2007
7:53 PM

Post #3205685

Unlike turtle eggs ,
Snake eggs are all stuck in one bunch .
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2007
8:21 PM

Post #3205770

Some of my eggs are stuck together like that. And they look like that, only smaller.
ginger749

February 19, 2007
8:30 PM

Post #3205811

Turtle eggs are generally round and all individual .
If you really want / need to know . Cut 1 open .
Or , Hold 1 over a bright light bulb .
Sometimes you can see a shaddow inside . Kell
Equilibrium

February 19, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #3206274

Eeeeek! Don't tell her to cut one open! For shame Ginger! For shame ;) Men! They simply think differently than women!

LOVE your snake photos Ginger!

Yes, ceejay. I've done them before inside and outside. Outside was accidental. Momma Snapper came in the night and dug a nice hole for her babies then promptly layed her eggs, covered them, then took off. I had little to do with the hatching of those. It was kind of funny to watch them one by one surface. Pretty wild actually. The eggs we found and "rescued" were in an area that was being excavated to build a new Mobil gas station. I could see some sort of eggs in the bucket that had scooped out a hunk of earth. I saw a chunk of the earth fall away and it exposed 8 or 9 eggs. Me and the kids had been watching the heavy equipment because boys like that kind of thing. The operator was real nice and stopped when I started frantically waving at him. I told him I had seen something in his bucket that I was pretty sure I wanted and explained what I thought it was so he gently placed the contents of the bucket back on the ground and told me to get out of there and get my butt back within a half hour. He was smiling so I figure he was a parent himself. We went home, grabbed a marker, dumped the contents of a sterilite box, then hauled our rears back to the site. We had an egg incubator here from a past project but it had an automatic turner so that was no good which was why I grabbed the sterlite box. We marked the eggs then transferred them one by one into the sterlite box that the kids had placed muddy earth in. We went the route of the heating pad. That was how I knew you could test the soil temps using the elcheapo WalMart floating fish thermometer and I already knew dish towels could be added or taken away to help regulate the temps from germinating seed. When they hatched they were about the size of a quarter. Not all of the eggs hatched but I think we got 4 or 5 all on the same day. Kids were really upset when one couldn't wiggle its way out of the egg. I would not allow them to help it and explained why. It passed away so they buried it outside. The rest of the turtles made it. The eggs ended up being Eastern Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta picta). We placed them all in the far back of the yard and they took off for the back pond. I'm sure there are still some around here. I was comparing notes with a girlfriend of mine who was a biologist in Florida. She was the one who told me folk down there were using tortilla warmers and why. She sent me photos of their "rescuees". I can't find her photos or I would have posted them.

Regarding the heat, they would have been perfectly fine without supplemental heat if it would have been possible to leave them where they were. As it was, the few that hatched are lucky I caught those spots of white in the bucket. The temps in most homes are around 70F. Move them out of the natural environment and now we've got to step in and attempt to re-create that which Ma Nature does so effortlessly.

The turtle eggs we've accidentally unearthed around here have been oval shaped. None have been laid above ground. All have been in clumps and were touching. I've never run into snake eggs. I wish I would run into snake eggs. That would be so cool if you ended up with baby snakes knolan!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2007
11:47 PM

Post #3206386

Actually, we did cut one open when we first discovered them because we thought it was possibly a fungus. No way to tell from the insides what they are yet as they're still in the 'yolk' stage.

Well, I bought a good little box today and some soil, an aquarium thermometer and an extra heating pad. I'm willing to try, even if they are snakes. But, if they are, I'm going to do one of those little 'screaming and running and freaking out dances' and then I'll calm down and figure out who to give them to. I'm not a snake person but I'll allow them to live. My cat brought a live one in one evenging and DH jumped on the table. Funniest sight I've ever seen. So, you know who, got a towel, picked it up behind it's neck and threw it into the pasture. It wasn't a pleasant experience for me but I did it. Problem is, we have nasty water moccassins around here and those really scare me. My luck, if they are snakes, that's the kind they'll be.
Equilibrium

February 20, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #3206502

I've cut open what I believed was fungus before so I can see that happening. I must admit I liked his candle idea better than cutting open an egg but then I like things that go bump and slither in the night.

I actually like the heating pad idea better than an actual incubator. At least you can use the heating pad again on your aching bones next time you have a marathon gardening session.

One thing, since you found the eggs on top of the soil you might want to put them back in your box on top of the soil. I partially buried ours because I could see they were a few inches under ground when we saw them.

Do you have a video camera? I'm told we're soon going to be able to post video clips here at DG so I'd like to see you do your snake jig (little 'screaming and running and freaking out dances' ) when the time comes. Aside from that, maybe we can all take a stab at identifying your babies (regardless of what they are) after they hatch. This is going to be so much fun. What a nice break from the winter blahs living vicariously through your find!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #3206530

I'm glad I can entertain!

I'll definitely put them in the box with a little of the soil I bought but I'll dig up about 2" underneath and around them and include the pine needles and mulch. I'll try to maintain the environment they are already in as much as I possibly can. I noticed today that a few of them look as if they're drying up. I'll put the healthiest looking batches that I can find in my box.

I'll post pictures tomorrow and then as they progress. Sure wish I had a better camera.
Equilibrium

February 20, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #3206640

A crowd please amongst us! Who would have thunk!

Try misting them with a spray bottle of water.

What ever camera you have will be fine.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #3207174

Thanks, Equi! I would love to see the knolan "Dances with Snakes" too!!!!

Good luck, K.!!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007
7:34 PM

Post #3208852

The deed is done! Here we go...

Thumbnail by knolan

knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007
7:36 PM

Post #3208855

That was one of the little nests before I dug it up.

Here's their new home...

This message was edited Feb 20, 2007 7:19 PM

Thumbnail by knolan

knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #3208856

And now they're inside snuggling on a heating pad.

Thumbnail by knolan

ginger749

February 20, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #3208857

Good work knolan ,
My educated guess is " Lizards "
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007
7:41 PM

Post #3208863

Thanks, Ginger. I'll take lizards too.
ginger749

February 20, 2007
7:48 PM

Post #3208882

Hope it doesn’t turn out to be one of these.
HUNTSMAN SPIDER .

Thumbnail by ginger749

knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007

Post #3208891

Eeeeeek!!!!! Tell me it can't be possible! Please!
ginger749

February 20, 2007
7:56 PM

Post #3208903

How many EYE`S can you see ????
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007
8:13 PM

Post #3208947

I see four but I'm sure there are eight. Where are the other four hiding?
ginger749

February 20, 2007
8:17 PM

Post #3208955

Right behind the front four .
They are facing upwards .
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #3209096

He's scary looking. How big does he get?
ginger749

February 20, 2007
9:53 PM

Post #3209240

This one WAS 8 inches from leg to leg .
Their eggs are smaller than a pin head .
So there`s no need to worry .
This was him next my house keys . Kell

Thumbnail by ginger749

renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #3209254

ok you can KEEP those there please!
ginger749

February 20, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #3209287

We have 6 resident HM spiders .
They don`t build a web .
They live behind my paintings on the walls . And eat all Bugs & flying Insects .
As they are nocturnal , We don`t see them very much .
Only when I`m moving a painting will one show its annoyance at being disturbed .
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #3209290

Our lizard eggs aren't that big. I'm still betting on turtles...
Hey! We could bet on these! I'll be the bookie. Nah - Dave wouldn't allow it...
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007
10:11 PM

Post #3209296

ginger - You are really cool!! Is Mahnot reading this? We'll have to pick her up off the floor!
ginger749

February 20, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #3209305

This was 5 of our youngens .

Thumbnail by ginger749

ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #3209333

Those are the baby pythons?

Quick, someone give Mahnot mouth to mouth resuscitation!! Her eyeballs have rolled back!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2007
11:07 PM

Post #3209449

I've got the broom and dustpan! Hold the bag open...it'll take us all to get her in there.

Ginger...you are a brave woman!
Equilibrium

February 21, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #3209644

I think, not positive... based on writing style... that Ginger might be a male but I've been wrong before.

I don't know what I'm betting on any more because those eggs were laid above ground. What I do know is that knolan did a find job creating a make shift incubator. You might want to take a piece of cellophane and stretch it over the top to retain some humidity. Poke it a few times with a knife for some ventilation.

This thread simply gets more hysterical as time goes on. I turned on my computer and there were eyes staring me down. I like spiders very much too.

Nice photos of your younguns Ginger!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #3209661

Ginger is a male but you are more than welcome to call him a woman. LOL. I swear, at times he is one. LOL. Now for that, I may have snakes thrown at me. :)
Equilibrium

February 21, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #3209684

I knew it! I just knew he was a him!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #3209690

Oooops...my bad. So sorry, Ginger! Didn't mean to step on your snakes, I mean spider eyes, I mean eggs, I mean toes.

Thanks, Equilibrium! I'll do the cellophane stretch. My DD thinks it's wonderful to have eggs on the dining room table. Especially ones we don't eat.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2007
12:18 AM

Post #3209694

LOL. He admitted it in his canna thread. He lives to confusr people.

I should say confuse. knolan, you're messing up my spelling here!! LOL

This message was edited Feb 20, 2007 7:19 PM
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #3209706

Don't mean to confuse ya, Pepper! Sure you're not salt?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #3209715

LOL. Oh ya. Very sure. :)
Equilibrium

February 21, 2007
12:34 AM

Post #3209745

[quote]eggs on the dining room table[/quote] Egads, we did that. Had to have the whole top of the dining room table refinished. Quick fast, place a bunch of layers of cardboard underneath your heating pad, towels, and egg box to protect your wood. By the time our chicken eggs were done "cooking" and hatching out as peepers when we could move them out into the garage, I found a huge mark in the shape of the incubator on my dining room table. I haven't a clue how condensation got under there but it did and the whole table had to be sanded down a few times, re-stained, then sealed with a few coats of something or other that the furniture guy had. My husband was not a happy camper. I was in shock.
ginger749

February 21, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #3209763

For those confused SOULS .
Ginger Is a typical Nick Name for Aussie Males with Red hair .
Just so no one is further confused .
A Pic of Moi on a recent Bush Walk with my God Son .

I think " Gilligans Island " has a lot to answer for . Kell

Pep, Or is it Salt ? You had better look out . lol

Thumbnail by ginger749

Equilibrium

February 21, 2007
1:02 AM

Post #3209835

Well, given all the gender confusion... perhaps you should post a photo of you in drag. You look way too masculine in that above photo to ever be confused with a woman but what do I know.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #3209860

A red headed devil you are! I've had my culture lesson this evening and I've also had 'Egg on my face'. LOL.

Thanks for the heads up on the table. I have some matting board that I'll lay under there RIGHT now.

ginger749

February 21, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #3209874

This is about as close to drag as I get .
Taken at My # 2 Sons 21 st. Feb 06 .

Sorry knolan, Not trying to High Jack your thread .

Thumbnail by ginger749

Equilibrium

February 21, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #3209886

My my my! We've all certainly dated ourselves with the reference to Gilligan's Island now haven't we.

I was getting flashbacks there for a while to the day we moved the peepers into the garage. You could have heard a pin drop as we both stood there staring at the rectangular imprint of the incubator in the middle of our dining room table. It lifted the finish right off the table but it had been there in the same spot for a few weeks. Talk about having to suppress a gag reflux.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007

Post #3209887

I love it! Have fun, Ginger! Just keep posting pics like that and I am easily amused. Hijack away!
ginger749

February 21, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #3209889

If Yall have time ,
Please Feel free to go to http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/690891/
And make a Comment .
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #3209892

My DH would have a fit if I ruined this table. It was his grandfather's and my DH refinished it to perfection. I think I'll just move the eggs to the bar. Safer that way.
Equilibrium

February 21, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3209897

My husband got extra large panty hose and picked up shoes and clothes at Salvation Army once for a party we had to go to. You look almost as cute as my husband did. People like you and my husband shouldn't even attempt to cross dress. I think beards and mustaches do you two in but I'm sure the hairy legs sticking out through panty hose are a dead give away too.
Equilibrium

February 21, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #3209904

Our table was only a few months old when I did it in with one of my "projects" for the kids. I had waited months for that set to get delivered. We set up everything on the kitchen counter these days or on racks.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #3209911

Ginger...I couldn't resist. I posted to your thread.

EQ - don't you hate learning lessons like that?
ginger749

February 21, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #3209919

Equilibrium #2 Sons 21 st Was an ABBA Dress up night .
Another "date ourselves" Give away.

I`ve experienced a glass of water on a Antique table .
Next day , A big round white ring .
Thank god 24 hrs it went away .
ginger749

February 21, 2007
1:33 AM

Post #3209927

knolan TaaM8.
Now talk the rest from GFW into contributing .
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3209931

Re the table: We had a family reunion and used those very nice thick paper plates for the cookout. I had quilted place mats on the table too. When we picked up the plates and placemats, the heat (and steam) from the food had ruined the finish, in perfect round circles. Eight of them. It was a disaster. Best on the bar. Don't take any chances.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3210052

Learn me, Ginger. What does TaaM8 stand for?

I'll put a fire under all my buddies to tell us over or under. What a great thread you have! Hilarious!
ginger749

February 21, 2007
2:30 AM

Post #3210127

Thanks knolan ,
They are great Pics you put on " WHAT ARE YOU ? "

Taa M8 = Thanks mate .
OnJaaM8= Good on you mate .
Equilibrium

February 21, 2007
2:52 AM

Post #3210203

My mother had a few sayings that I didn't fully appreciate until I became a parent. They were:
When one is dumb, one pays.
You put your time in now or you put your time in later but you will put in your time.

I was dumb, really dumb. I should have never placed that incubator on my brand new dining room table. I don't particularly mind learning lessons. I just wish they weren't so expensive. Have you any idea how many plants I could have bought with the money I had to shell out to refinish that table?

Now, will somebody please give me a link to this "other" thread you all are talking about!
ginger749

February 21, 2007
2:55 AM

Post #3210214

Here you Go .
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/690891/
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
2:56 AM

Post #3210216

Hey, you just saved me from doing the same dumb thing. Don't feel bad...I have many of those, "I'm a knucklehead" moments.

Here's the link to Ginger's thread (it's up above too)...it's one of the funniest topics I've yet to see.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/690891/
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
2:56 AM

Post #3210218

Ooops...we were typing at the same time.
ginger749

February 21, 2007
2:58 AM

Post #3210228

Two heads are better than one .
or
Two Threads are better than one .
What you say, knolan ?

You know I have a thread right here ? http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/681622/
I stopped posting because I felt there was no interest in it any more .
I hope that may change . Kell

This message was edited Feb 21, 2007 2:04 PM
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #3210258

Absolutely. That's a good thread. I've had that happen to me...sometimes they just die. I'll be happy to visit ya'll there.

I loved the pictures. You really have those wonderful creatures roaming through your yard from time to time? You ARE are a lucky devil. I also like the salamander picture. I get small ones in my yard all of the time
ginger749

February 21, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #3210269

It`s a bit like an Artist at a Fair .
Ppl just keep passing you bye.
And in the end , You just don`t come back.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
3:39 AM

Post #3210357

It's a shame, ain't it? Well, I can probably keep you bogged down with the wildlife in my yard thse days. Nothing like that cute little creature in your pics.

For example:

I moved in here 15 years ago and the area I live was very much a swamp in those days. Lots of new construction since then and lots of little creatures moved from their natural habitats. I've always felt sorry for them...urban sprawl ain't pretty. But, I didn't always feel sorry for the creepies that scared me. I've since learned an appreciation for them. Especially spiders.

The first experiences with them were tarantulas. I have found three or fouur in my house since I've lived here. I'm not too scared of them because I grew up with my cousins capturing them and letting them loose in the house. I've also had to drive on a Moped through hundreds of them while vacationing in Mexico.

My single most horrible encounter was a large brown spider, in the house. His back looked fuzzy but at the time I needed glasses and didn't know it. I took a shoe and smushed him. Well, when I hit the poor guy, hundreds of tiny specks went running everywhere. They were babies on it's mom's back. I felt like such a heel. It's some kind of water spider. Sorry, I'm not skilled in the specifics of bug types, names, etc.

The best experience I've had was with a large banana spider in my back yard. His web went from the brick of my house to the fence, about 12'. He was huge, yellow and black and looked like he was wearing armor. Every single neighbor on my street came over to see. Now, that's humdrum...we have them all over the place! They make huge nests in the trees and there might be as many as 30 in one big nest. They're gorgeous! Most of my neighbors enjoy them...a few are too scared to see the good.

Then again, we get our fair share of brown recluses (my father was bitten and he was horribly sick...the sting ate a huge hole in his hand, caused high enough fever for him to hallucinate and he almost lost his thumb) and black widows. I've found several on my porch. I just feel like I have to kill those. I've got children, 3 cats, a dog and a great hubby...I don't want any bad bites for them.

I've also got a fair share of poisonous snakes. That's why I'm a little worried that my eggs might be snakes. I don't mind if they're garters or chicken snakes. Anything else worries me. I don't know what to do with a snake other than ooohhh and aaahhhh.
ginger749

February 21, 2007
3:50 AM

Post #3210372

I`m a professional snake catcher .
Meaning I get paid to go and get them and relocate them .
I teach ppl to catch their own and save Gig Bucks .
Get a 6 ft long length of 2 inch pvc. pipe.
Tape one end up , and hold the open end in front of them .
They will climb into the dark hole really quick .
A cap over the end whan they are in . MAGIC .
Saves $ 107 . Too easy . Kell
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
4:00 AM

Post #3210397

Okay, if I see a snake hole, I think I can do that...but, then, what do I do with them?
ginger749

February 21, 2007
4:06 AM

Post #3210408

Relocate them .!!!

From the pipe into an empty pillow case .
Rope around top of pillow case , short drive to nearest nature reserve .
Easy Peasy Japanesy .
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
4:08 AM

Post #3210412

Ship 'em off to Mahnot! Do you think she's avoiding this thread?

BTW, K - That was a wolf spider. A very good guy.

That's great info on catching snakes! How about rats?
ginger749

February 21, 2007
4:13 AM

Post #3210421

Funny you should ask .
I leave the same pipe on the ground over night .
One end covered .
In the morning stand pipe up and you got them .
You will need a bit of bait !!! Whatever they like .
Here it`s peanut butter .
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
4:15 AM

Post #3210426

Peanut butter here too. Maybe I should use the Peter Pan and give the critter salmonella!! What keeps them in the pipe until morning?
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
4:19 AM

Post #3210434

Oh, I couldn't do that to Mahnot. She's too wonderful. Yup, I'll bet (if you could get that bookie thing going) she won't come here.

Ginger...Where on earth will I relocate them? Hooo...just got the heebie jeebies...but I'm okay. There's a beautiful park with a lake nearby but so many kids visit there.

Ceejay, I get plenty of wolf spiders here too, but this wasn't furry at all. What I thought was fur was actually the teeny weeny little babies. I've since seen the exact spiders in the pond and gully nearby...just floating on top...with babies on their backs. They're smoothe and brown and about the size of a 50 cent piece.
Equilibrium

February 21, 2007

Post #3210435

Rats you ask?

Why use a ratzapper!

http://www.pestproducts.com/rat_zapper.htm

Can't use peanut butter to bait around here unless you are doing it in an attic or crawl space or you'll get a chipmunk or a squirrel.
ginger749

February 21, 2007
4:20 AM

Post #3210437

Thin pipe & I guess they don`t have a reverse gear ?
Equilibrium

February 21, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #3210447

I saw that pipe trick on some wildlife show once. Pretty neat. They did surgery on the snake while it was in the tube.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
4:51 PM

Post #3211614

Equi - We've tried the zapper - didn't work for us. They preferred the wiring in DH's Corvette. Twice. Hey! I just had an epiphany!Maybe we should bait them with electrical wiring!
ginger749

February 21, 2007
5:34 PM

Post #3211740

ceejaytown
Rats ate some wires on my Ute .
They were climbing onto the motor in the cool of the night
So they could warm up and have a party .
Had to call in RACQ the next morning .
ginger749

February 21, 2007
5:52 PM

Post #3211779

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/644337/
knolan Have you seen this ?
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
6:11 PM

Post #3211830

That's a great thread. Thanks, Ginger.

I've been out inspecting the rest of the little nests. I'm afraid I might have disturbed some of them beyond repair with my rake the other day. Those are the ones that appear to be drying up a little. I probably damaged the shell. But there are plenty still half buried and looking good. No predators yet. I'm really surprised because I had a racoon in my back yard night before last.

I'm off to my Master Gardener class this evening and I'll take my little box of eggs and heating pad with me (I'm bonding with my babies...LOL). Maybe someone there can identify them for certain. I have a strong feeling this is just going to be a 'wait and see'.
ginger749

February 21, 2007
6:26 PM

Post #3211878

My snakes took 70 days to hatch.
So if they are reptiles , Don`t hold your breath .
As you said , they were only yokes inside 2 days ago ,
You still have a long way to go .
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2007
6:49 PM

Post #3211950

It will be a lesson in patience as well.
Equilibrium

February 21, 2007
8:52 PM

Post #3212300

[quote]I'll take my little box of eggs and heating pad with me (I'm bonding with my babies...LOL).[/quote] Thata girl knolan! That's the spirit! So many gardeners view moles, voles, squirrels, and chipmunks as the enemy; turtles as that nuisance critter that messes up ornamental ponds, and snakes as something to completely rid the garden of. Glad you're one of the new breed of gardeners.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2007
4:33 AM

Post #3213582

I have a few phobias...snakes, spiders and heights. Guess I'm hoping to overcome my phobia of snakes through this little experiment. I just told another friend that a good mother always says, "I will love them no matter what they are", and I will. After taking care of them, how could anyone not love them? I won't know what to do with them but I'd take pride in the fact that they made it.

People think I belong to a family of nuts. My brother used to be a sheriff's deputy (he's a detective now) but accidentally ran over a possum one evening. He was smart enough to check and sure enough, she had babes in her pouch. 1" pink, no hair, still attached to mom's teats. He put them in a box with a little blanket and quickly drove them to my mom's who hand fed them every two hours (all 9 of them) with an eyedropper. They became pretty domesticated...would hang on our fingers and crawl all over us. When they were about 3 1/2 months old, we took them to a wildlife rehabilitator that lives near me and she was able to reintroduce them to their natural habitat. The rehabilitator was absolutely amazed that my mom was able to keep them all alive. Mom has a knack for that kind of thing - she had a pet possum as a child named Lizzy. Used to curl up and sleep on her head. I love that PBS commercial...'Dare to be Different' with the family who has a skunk for a pet. Reminds me of us.
Equilibrium

February 22, 2007
4:53 AM

Post #3213615

My heroes! [quote]He put them in a box with a little blanket and quickly drove them to my mom's who hand fed them every two hours (all 9 of them) with an eyedropper.[/quote]
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/656149/
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2007
5:11 AM

Post #3213648

That's a great link. So many people are afraid of them. I just love them. Yes, they're a little scary when they get big and you happen upon them and scare the daylights out of them. Those teeth! I feel more sorry for the possum than I do the person who interrupted them. I put dry dog food out for them when I know a family is nearby. I keep my garage door cracked just enough for them to get in. As soon as it gets dark, in comes the mom and usually 6-10 babes following.

EQ - are you a WL rehabilitator? If not...you should be! I want to take the course but I can't until my cats are no longer with me. That could be up to 15 or 20 years from now. Here, the courses are given by the State's Park and Wildlife division. My daughter wants to take them with me as well. You can specialize in mammals, reptiles or birds.
Equilibrium

February 22, 2007
5:40 AM

Post #3213680

I already walk my dogs on a leash 100% of the time because I don't want them chasing down wildlife so there is no way I could leave my garage door open. Other than that, I think I like my arm in its socket and I can guarantee one of my dogs would want to play with a nice opossum in the garage and it would drag me to the ground. I'm too old for that and I'm not even that old.

No, not a wildlife rehabber and never have been. I did volunteer at an animal shelter for quite a while but I ended up taking too many home and my husband asked me nicely to quit. I do run across critters and I do my best or turn them over to people qualified to provide care for them. Orphaned opossums are not so dissimilar to orphaned kittens though. Care is similar.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2007
5:54 AM

Post #3213692

Working at the animal shelter, I bet that was tough.

Is there a better option than the WL rehabber program...like, taking them to a local vet or animal control or??? I'm not sure, but I don't think the vets in my area are very wildlife friendly. I was horribly disappointed with my vet of 12 years and had to move on.

Oh yes! You have the great, huge dogs. Haahaa...do you ever try to walk all 3 of them together?

I only crack the garage door and Socks in entirely in the house now so she can't get out there. Luckily. But when she goes into the backyard at night to do her business, if there is a critter...hold on to your boots. It takes everything I have to pull her away. I've been lucky so far.
Equilibrium

February 22, 2007
12:21 PM

Post #3213998

What I did for the animal shelter was heart wrenching at times but no more so than what those who were paid employees did every day. Toward the end, most of my work was administrative but I did still take home foster projects. There was always a need for foster homes and pretty much everyone in a position to chip in and help did.

The best option is to get a hold of somebody to help you care for them yourself if possible. Animal control will humanely destroy skunks, opossums, and raccoons around here and they don't have the manpower to care for orphans. Wildlife rehabbers are far and few between but they are out there and they will try to assist you. Most vets aren't licensed to handle wildlife, they're mostly domestic animal practices around here. Only one of mine is able to provide care for wildlife. I suspect you may have the same issues in Texas with licensure. Good news is we have the Internet at our tips these days.

Because I have a training collar on the youngest dog, I could walk them at the same time but then the leashes get tangled up as they sniff for the ultimate spot to pee. Without the training collar on the one, I can assure you I'd end up having my arm yanked out of the socket while I was dragged a couple hundred yards to chase whatever it was that caught his fancy. I know what you mean about running into critters. We walk our dogs in the front yard to try to cut down on interactions. It's a big help to keep them out front and we rarely run into anything other than stray cats, rabbits, and frogs in the front yard and I do have that special collar on the one dog.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2007
3:02 PM

Post #3214384

There are licensed rehabbers here. I ran into one the day we rescued Sunday. She was out looking for grubs to dig up to feed 'possums. And I know a guy that rehabs skunks. I know Jesse H Jones Park is a long way from you, but the naturalists there could probably tell you where to go. (Hmmmm, how can I word that differently?...)
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2007
4:10 PM

Post #3214555

I have possums, armadillos and deer that show up pretty regular. We have had to tip the trashcan twice to let the possums get out after they got stuck! In the back of my property I had a couple of trees fall and I have left them for wildlife habitat.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3215015

Heeheehee...good one, Ceejay.

Actually, we have several out here also. I've had to find the various ones for their different specialties thanks to my cats.

My GM had a baby owl that I had to go and pick up on her side of town, deliver to a rehabber on this side and when the owl was okay, I had to pick him back up and release back where he was found. She's on the NW side of Houston. It all worked out well.

EQ - that was how it was with my ridgeback. She was so scared of water that to bathe her, I would have hook her leash on to a 400 lb. toolbox. Well, she dragged that toolbox all the way down my street with every neighbor around trying to help me chase her down. She yanked my arm too many times to count. But she was still a great dog.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #3220313

Hi y'all. My dear friend Ginger/Kell asked me to drop by because someone had asked about becoming a rehabber. I rehab ducks mostly baby Wood ducks but I will take any and all. If anyone is interested in becoming a rehabber of any kind (you can be very specialized...I only take ducks, some only take songbirds, etc), check with your local Game and Fish Comission, Vet or Cooperative Extension Office.

I tried to read all of the posts and someone may have already stated the above. I am thrilled about the egg find. Kind like an Easter egg hunt came early. lol I adored the dining table story. Our ducks have their own room and bathroom...but hey, these are our children. ;o))

Have any questions? please post or d-mail me

Kim

Kim
Equilibrium

February 24, 2007
5:36 PM

Post #3220560

Hey Kim! Accolades to you.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2007
7:43 PM

Post #3220841

Cooperative Extension Office? We don't know nuthin' about wildlife rehab... Maybe Parks & Wildlife would know something.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2007
8:29 PM

Post #3220974

Yes, in Texas you get licensed through Parks and Wildlife.

Kim, one day, probably 10 or more years down the road, I definitely plan to do it. Right now, I have cats and they're my babies so...I've got a while.

thanks for the information.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2007
4:08 AM

Post #3222344

I forgot to tell ya'll...I had a dream the other night, you might say a nightmare, that my eggs hatched and they were gators. I'm not scared of baby gators...I've played with plenty at parks where they let you. But these guys scared me. Thought it was kinda funny.

Soil temps. are staying at a steady 73 degrees, I'm misting with a sprayer and have a little fungus growth on top of the soil. Perhaps I'm misting too much or it's too humid with the cellophane. Maybe I'll have a bunch of little girls. I'd better get busy crocheting turtle skirts.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #3222374

Thanks, Equilibruim.

Ceejay, I did not say that the CEO would train you but the one here does tell people the place to call and with whom they should talk. I was just trying to give some ideas. Sorry for the confusion.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2007
4:33 AM

Post #3222386

I just read my post and I thought my comments to ceejay may sound a little harsh. Please, don't take it that way. I was laughing the entire time...but y'all cannot see me.
Equilibrium

February 25, 2007
4:39 AM

Post #3222395

Your "I had a dream" comment gave me the giggles. Turtle skirts... too funny. Whatareya gonna do if they're little girl snakes? Lil pink one-hole sweaters?

I've never had a fungus develop on my earth. I wouldn't attempt to use a fungicide on that. Maybe you better pull off the cellophane. You mentioned steady temps of 73°. Was that a typo? Hmmm, I know this guy who is a herpetologist. I'm wondering if I can't fax him this thread. Do we have a print this thread option so I could print this out for a non-subscriber?

Equilibrium

February 25, 2007
4:43 AM

Post #3222399

Hey duckmother, your comments seemed to me as if you were being sincere and I'm sure everyone took them that way. I can tell you one thing though, the people at our coop ext office would be passing any phone call off that came in about wildlife as if it was a hot potato so ceejay's comments hit home for me and made me giggle.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2007
4:59 AM

Post #3222417

Hi EQ! What am I gonna do if they're snakes? Well, I've crocheted many a wild thing in my time, especially gag gifts for weddings. I can handle the snake skirt...trust me...LOL. I can make them very pretty.

No typo...soil is 73 degrees (how do you do the degree symbol here?) and staying constant.I think I will remove the cellophane. It's probably just too moist. Let me see if I can get a decent enough picture (can't wait till my birthday so I can get a decent camera). I'm able to hit my print button and get the entire thread. Do you only want to print a portion?

Duckmother, Ceejay is a wonderful and kind soul...have no fear. Your comments won't be misconstrued.

Ok ...I'll go take that picture now.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2007
5:08 AM

Post #3222432

I'm simply not going to be able to provide a good clear picture but here goes...

Bad news. In addition to the soil problem, there is one egg...way over to the left of the first picture, that has developed some holes in it and a pinkish/reddish tip around the end. I think that egg will not make it.

Thumbnail by knolan

knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2007
5:09 AM

Post #3222433

Best pic I can get on the poor egg...

Thumbnail by knolan

knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2007
5:23 AM

Post #3222447

I've just been informed by DH that whatever hatches, he hopes they get me first and they sacrifice me to the alien brain sucking gods.

Think he's a little tired of having tadpoles, crabs, caterpillars and eggs in the kitchen area. Yeesh. I cook this man dinner? (Hahahahaha...I'll never tell him what I cook).

He's joking...he's a patient guy.
Equilibrium

February 25, 2007
5:26 AM

Post #3222450

Gut tells me you should remove that egg. I've got to get this thread to that friend of mine.

How to get the °?

Go to the bottom of your computer and click on start then go to programs then go to Accessories then go to system tools then go to character map. Look for the ° in there and select it. Now cut and paste it in when you type. I'm sure there's an easier way to get to it but that's the only way I know. When typing in a foreign language, I change my whole keyboard otherwise it would be a nightmare going back and forth to the character map.

Alien brain sucking gods! That's one I need to share with my husband. Wait a minute, is my husband in your house right now talking about another man's wife that way? I swear that would be something my husband would say. They are twins, separated at birth and they married people like us!

Nightie night!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2007
5:40 AM

Post #3222464

Ah haaa! Hold down Alt and hit 248...you can get the degree symbol automatically here. Whoop - ° There it is!

I'm certain there are many men of our DH's persuasion out there. Alien ships dropped them off in backyards many years ago and we have to teach them to be human.

I'll remove that egg. I don't think I'll throw it away, though...maybe I can find someone to look at it. I think I'll skim the surface of the soil as well and remove as much of the mold growing. Another egg has a split but is not open. Just an extremely soft and wet shell area where the split is. Keeping fingers crossed. It's the largest egg in the bunch.

I do hope your friend can clue us in. Thanks for all the help, EQ.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2007 1:00 AM
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2007
7:09 PM

Post #3224065

Here's the 'dead egg' that I removed last night. Today it has popped open and this is what is coming out of it...

Thumbnail by knolan

Equilibrium

February 25, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #3224109

Looks as if it was developing. I can't see all that well what you've got going on there. Looks like strawberries and raspberries in a blender with ice cream sort of. I can't get a hold of Mike. I have no idea where he's gone off to but I did get a hold of my girlfriend who owns a pet shop and she said to consider removing the cellophane which you had already done and she also said to remove the compromised egg which you already did. Other than that, she says she receives her herps ready for sale (long out of the shell) and that if these were bird eggs she'd probably be in a better position to comment. I'd call that striking out on two counts. I'm thinking maybe you might want to get them in a sunny window. That might help inhibit some of the fungus and those eggs were found out in the open not buried. Maybe try d-mailing a member named joepyeweed and see what she thinks. She's out and about and might have a suggestion about the soil temps and the fungus or she might know somebody who might have a suggestion. Otherwise, do your best and keep knitting those sweaters. Think positively. At least they're not out there subject to predation and they have a loving mommy doting on them by misting them regularly.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3228166

Wow, I read it all.

This is so cool AND I learned how to do the degree symbol!!! ° There it is!!!

Knolan, I can't wait to see what you end up with. I'm rooting for turtles!
ginger749

February 27, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #3228264

I'm rooting for Anacondas!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #3228269

I'm rooting for dinosaurs!! LOL
ginger749

February 27, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #3228274

LOL LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #3228319

Oh yeah, I am GOOOOD!!! LOL
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
12:54 AM

Post #3228352

I'm just rooting for anything at this point. I've had two more eggs pop open today and you can tell that, whatever they are, they were developing. I'm so bummed...I almost cried. Yes Ginger, even if they're anacondas (which I will send to YOU!!) I moved them to a nice sunny spot. I'm keeping them moist. Sniff, sniff. Poor little buggers.

BP...good to see you here. I've been wondering where you've been hiding.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
1:13 AM

Post #3228422

And I already started making outfits.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #3228460

Life gets busy Knolan. I hate being gone for so long. Thanks for missing me!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3228545

Well, glad you're back and ready to party!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3228560

Hi BP!! Glad you are back and ready to boogie!! LOL
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
2:07 AM

Post #3228624

Ya'll know, the things popping out of the eggs look like a pink octopuss. See if you see the resemblance...(I know, I need a photography class and a camera...it's coming in the near future).

Maybe they are aliens.

Thumbnail by knolan

ginger749

February 27, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #3228644

I think you need to call the ,

" GHOST BUSTERS "

Who you gonna call ?

Equilibrium

February 27, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #3228666

You're doing your best. There's not much more you can do.

Got Mike, he said the sheer number of eggs you found doesn't sound like any species indigenous to your area. Mike is from Houston. The time of year you found these eggs is also leaving him scratching his head. He states the size of the eggs precludes them from being a native lizard. He believes what you might possibly have are the offspring of a green iguana that was a former pet. He claims there are many irresponsible people out there who release pets. If these are Green Iguanas, he asked that you please consider giving them to a pet shop.

The trick with any native herp (not an exotic such as what he believes you may have) is to keep the humidity high. He stated keep misting those eggs and to transfer them onto vermiculite maintaining the orientation and to cover the box with cellophane again that has slices in it for some air transfer. He indicated that for Texas, room temperature should be fine. He does not understand why the eggs are splitting open as you described other than that they were grazed by your rake or the pine needles possibly. He also said I need to tell you to do an about face and get them out of the sun.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #3228688

That's good info, I'll follow the directions. Should I actually remove them from the dirt they are in now to place in the vermiculite?

Iguanas? How cool would that be? I'd definitely give them to a pet shop but I'd probably keep one or two for myself. I love lizards.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #3228704

Wow, this gets more interesting all the time. I think Pepper wins with the dinasaur wish!!! I sure hope you get something to hatch. I'll bet the rake did graze them.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
2:37 AM

Post #3228739

Pepper's wish might in fact come true! Wouldn't that be so cool?

I meant to say, this batch was one that I didn't rake over...that's why I chose to move this particular group in. Once I noticed the eggs, I stopped raking. This group was under pine needles near a clump of freesias that had come up.

I've moved them from the sunny spot, put a new covering of cellophane with nice big holes. I'll have to get the vermiculite tomorrow.

Also, there is a neighbor boy down the street that raises big lizards. I'm sure he would love to have one if this turns out to be the case. I always give them a call when I find tomato hornworms. He and his father come and pick them for their lizards. They collect large lizards and large birds. Pretty cool family.
Equilibrium

February 27, 2007
2:42 AM

Post #3228758

Yes, Mike's a sweetheart. Really glad I was able to get him on his cell. He said to get them on vermiculite or a vermiculite/perlite mix actually (sorry for forgetting to mention the perlite but he was rattling off info and I was typing and then we got to talking about other things in between me sucking his brain) and to get them out of the sun. That means moving them to me. Just be careful handling them and retain the orientation.

I thought the eggs you found were in the open? Are you saying they were completely covered by the pine needles?
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 27, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #3228767

I was going to say it was some kind of lizard. That is what the popped open pink octo look like to me.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
3:00 AM

Post #3228866

Yes, they were completely covered by the pine needles but not completely buried in the dirt.

Thank you so much for talking to your friend. I really appreciate it. I hope he's right!
Equilibrium

February 27, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #3228903

Ugh, completely covered in pine needles eh? Sorry about that. I must have missed you saying that before somewhere. He's a Herpetologist, I'm not. I'd go with what he says. We're both Naturalists but a Herpetologist trumps a Conservationist in this particular situation.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
4:21 AM

Post #3229084

Bad news.

It's been, what, maybe two hours since I moved them and recovered them, another one has split. It showed no indication of splitting earlier. I was making my bedtime rounds and noticed it. I wonder what could possibly be happening. I'll try the vermiculite mix tomorrow and if they all end up splitting, I'll just monitor closely the ones that are still in the bed out there. Nothing appears to be bothering them yet. I should say that I've noticed this happening to quite a few out in the bed as well. Not just the eggs in my box. This is just sad.

I'm going to go out there several times a day and report to ya'll. Hopefully we can get some babies. I'm happy to share if we do.

I'm really bummed. There are only 4 left in my box and 2 appear as if they are shriveling.

I've been doing everything right, I hope...spraying often, keeping the soil at a moderate temp. If it's happening outside too, well, could it be that we are unseasonably warm right now? Today it was 85° and low humidity. A week and a half ago the temp dropped down to 19° here. Night time temps seem to be in the upper fifties and low sixties right now. This is the only thing I can think of that might be causing problems for the poor little eggs. Maybe the freeze did something to the eggs to prevent their proper development? The freeze was before I brought this little group in.
Equilibrium

February 27, 2007
4:26 AM

Post #3229093

Shriveling or "sucking in" means the humidity is too low. Spritz the eggs some more.

You're a good egg mommy. If I had eggs, I'd give them to you to hatch out.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
4:47 AM

Post #3229130

Thanks, EQ. I needed a lift.

I'm trying to find something on the internet about temperature. So much for my early to bed theory.
Equilibrium

February 27, 2007
5:11 AM

Post #3229165

Mike said that room temperature was fine. Look at the contents of those eggs, they are developing before they split. That means your temps are fine and that some other phenomenon is responsible for the splitting.

Do you want me to give you Mike's home phone number? I don't know that he can offer much more without seeing good crisp photos but I already told him that you were like me and would be the kind of person to try to save a skunk so he'd talk to you.

Forgot to mention that from what little I could see oozing out of that split egg, you don't have turtles.

I don't know that it will do much but make you feel better by doing something but you could put some shot glasses of water in with your egg babies. That might help with humidity. We do this in curio cases we have with little ivory figurines my husband collects called netsukes. We don't know that it helps but we don't know that it hurts. Could be one of those things we humans do just to do something pro-active. I dunno. Spritz your eggs one more time then go to bed egg momma.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
5:33 AM

Post #3229193

Thanks, EQ...I'll rinse the shot glasses out real quick (just kidding)...seriously, I'll try that. I'll spritz them some more. Too bad I can't convince my dog to snuggle them.

You don't think the freeze might have hurt them? Even though they were developing, couldn't the freeze have done something in an early stage to ruin their chances of reaching full development?

You say by looking at them you can tell they weren't turtles. I can say for certainty that they're not snakes either. The pinkish development looks like limbs forming in a curve. There are definitely four limbs and a spine to this creature. So, snakes are out of the question too. Tomorrow, I'm going to completely remove the shell of the largest one and see if I can see a head that had started to develop. I can't see that from what is exposed peeking out of the egg. I've tried to find photos of embryo development and haven't hit one yet. I've come up with lots of scientific mumbo jumbo that means nothing to me...I want pictures for comparison. A turtle develops like this...a snake develops like this...a lizard develops like this...that's what I want to see in different stages of development for each of them. Anybody out there need a science fair project? LOL. Honestly, I'd like to see someone do this. I can't find this information anywhere.
Equilibrium

February 27, 2007
5:45 AM

Post #3229205

Well, the freeze could have done em in but I don't know. He did mention that the time of year you found these eggs was leaving him scratching his head. It seemed kind of early to me too.

Your photos weren't clear enough (really sorry but my vision isn't the greatest) for me to see any limbs forming. I'm an extremely visual person and I also want to see photos of "...a snake develops like this...a lizard develops like this..." . One problem, I would never be the one to slice open any unknown egg to photograph development. It's not in me to do that.

Nightie night EggMomma. Sweet dreams.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
5:53 AM

Post #3229215

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginated_Tortoise#Incubation_and_hatching

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/7608/hatchlings/hatch.html

Scroll down to eggs and their development - There's a little information there of interest... http://www.deancloseprep.gloucs.sch.uk/chelonia/testudo/articles/breedingT.htm

Google tortoises. Technically, turtles are sea creatures; tortoises are land creatures.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
5:57 AM

Post #3229218

Oh, I won't slice open a good egg, no, no, no...didn't mean to insinuate that. Just one that's already popped. No, never. I just want to remove the entire shell of one of these that hasn't made it so we can see a little bit more.

I'm going to borrow my buddy's good camera and take a good picture for you to see. Take that back. I'm going to have HER take a good picture for you to see.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
6:04 AM

Post #3229222

Reading the devleopment there, and looking at my expired eggs, yup. The main development is occurring around the yolk area. It's surrounding it, so to say. The limbs are developing already...well, I can say that for sure AFTER I remove some of the rotted shell and see what was going on. The shells are still super soft.

knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
6:13 AM

Post #3229233

Goodnight, EQ!

It just occurred to me what you were saying. You wouldn't like to see anyone crack slice an egg in half to see its development. I agree.

I was thinking more along the lines of someone...like Ginger, who raises reptiles, probably has a lot of eggs and probably sees a few expire during their development. Once they do expire, from whatever natural cause, open it up and see where it was in it's developmental stage, take a picture of it and record it. Show it to the rest of us so we know what they're supposed to look like at the various stages of development. That's what I meant. I said it the wrong way. Sorry. Does that make sense at all? I'm not for injuring a good egg of any sort.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
6:21 AM

Post #3229240

Unless they're the eggs from 'Alien'. I'll pull a Sigourney Weaver and kill 'em.

On that, good night and sleep tight. I'm 3 hours past my bedtime tonight.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2007
12:49 PM

Post #3229701

I am so sorry about the eggs. However, I am thrilled that there are some still developing. You are doing such a great job. I will continue to watch for updates.

Kim
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 27, 2007
2:12 PM

Post #3229956

http://individual.utoronto.ca/kjackson/pics.html

ginger749

February 27, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3230761

http://www.funpic.hu/files/pics/00001/00001679.jpg

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2007
6:58 PM

Post #3230805

So sorry that the eggs are continuing to split. I hope at least one makes it.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2007
9:14 PM

Post #3231806

Thanks, Nada. That picture rules out a snake for sure.

I just checked the bed and while there are a few that have opened, there are many more that look good. There is no longer any hope for my box babies.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #3232400

I tried, really tried, to open the rest of the shell of one that had popped but the stench was so foul that I came close to getting sick. I can't do it.

Thanks for the cheerups, Duckmother and BP.
Equilibrium

February 28, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #3232846

Awwww, I'm so sorry for your box babies. Hang onto those lil pink sweaters because you'll get to use them again.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2007
2:24 AM

Post #3232855

I've been following along, lurking really, and I too am sorry about your box babies. I couldn't wait to find out what was in the eggs.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #3232876

Me too. I was hoping they would make it. You tried!!!
ginger749

February 28, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #3232901

I was secretly hoping Pep was right .
Jurassic Park would have lived on DG .

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #3232983

Yeah, me too! A small dinosaur wouldn't be any trouble. Remember, there's eggs left outside. We still have hope!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2007
3:24 AM

Post #3233112

I'd say an iguana is a small dinosaur...sorta.

Well, there's still a lot of hope because there are LOTS of eggs still in the bed. We'll just cross our fingers and hope for a little miracle.

I'll keep on crocheting. Believe...believe...believe.

Thanks for all of your well wishes.

Still wish I had the guts to open up and look at the guts of the ones that have expired. If I had a noseplug I could do it.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #3233124

If it stinks that bad it's probably not in any shape to look at either.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2007
3:31 AM

Post #3233134

Actually, it really doesn't look that gross. The embryos are kind of dry. It's what's deeper inside the eggs that stinks. Ooohh...just got the willies.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2007
3:35 AM

Post #3233150

Terry - just saw you there. How ya doin? Keep your fingers crossed for me, pretty please.

It takes a small village...
ginger749

February 28, 2007
8:55 AM

Post #3233442

knolan
You be very carefull please.
You may have some of these .
http://www.funpic.hu/files/pics/00031/00031751.jpg
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2007
11:41 AM

Post #3233614

ginger ... you are funny! NOT! *giggle
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #3234663

Ginger, that sort of looks like what's coming out of the eggs. Yikes!
ginger749

February 28, 2007
6:05 PM

Post #3234696

renatelynne
Show us some of your statues .

knolan , I know .
That`s why I posted the link .

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #3235167

ROTFL!!!!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2007
5:08 AM

Post #3236595

I talked to someone tonight, only briefly, and she suggested that the eggs could be from a killdeer bird. They lay their eggs in the ground. Came home, looked it up and it doesn't seem likely to me. This bird usually lays on it's eggs, like normal birds, and they usually lay the eggs in gravel. I've seen no ground birds around here and certainly no birds in the flower bed.

I'm really thinkin' alien here. LOL.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2007
3:32 PM

Post #3237375

Nah - Kildeers lay them on top of the ground - like you said - usually on gravel and the like. They are so well camouflaged that you can't see them if you are looking straight at them. And there is always an adult nearby doing a broken wing act to lure you away from them. And they definitely look like bird eggs!!
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2007
7:02 PM

Post #3238051

I have some pics of a killdeer on some gravel in front of a nursing home my great aunt was staying at. I need to scan those in.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #3238474

You need to trade the aquarium in for a video-cam so we can all watch the little things hatch.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #3241446

Here's a good one for ya'll. Watch the lizard in the bottom left corner.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ccIc-On5MLI&mode=related&search=

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2007
7:19 PM

Post #3241667

ROTFL! He probably thought he had the wrong end of the snake for a minute there!
Equilibrium

March 2, 2007
8:04 PM

Post #3241786

That was funny! His facial expressions were priceless!
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
5:12 AM

Post #3243423

I loved those funny little noises he made. Urk, gkk... ROTFLOL
ginger749

March 3, 2007
4:58 PM

Post #3244364

renatelynne
Still waiting for you to come visit other thread ?
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #3254704

Well, we have a new possibility as to what my eggs are:

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/weeklypics/10-10-05.html

They don't look like this to me but...maybe.
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2007
9:13 PM

Post #3254715

wow... I've seen the fungus that looks like dog poop at my place but never seen this one before. Have you posted in the fungus forum?
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #3254747

Not yet, I will.

I'm still convinced these are the eggs of some creature. Time will tell.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2007
3:11 AM

Post #3256124

Wow! I am so glad you found that information. I was wondering what that nasty stuff was that grew in my flower bed, last year. When I first saw the broken egg, I wondered if it may be the same thing but I did not know what it was called. I really hope that is not what you have. I want there to be a creature/critter!

Kim
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2007
3:57 AM

Post #3256292

Thanks, Kim. Me too. I'm certain this isn't a fungus. I'm keeping my eyes out and a lot of the little eggs are still popping open but there are still more that look ok. I'll post more pics. as I get good ones.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #3256340

Veddy interesting...Maybe so. Hmmm...It would make sense.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2007
4:27 AM

Post #3256346

The things popping out look way too much like an embryo, with limbs. The eggs aren't 'finger shaped' and don't look anything like the pictures of the fungus shown on that website. Also, key point here, when we first discovered them, we thought they might be a fungus so DH opened one with a machete. It REALLY, REALLY looked like an egg. Gelatinous on the outside, yolk present, very much an egg (I think).
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2007
8:01 PM

Post #3258266

Well, I'm pretty sure now that these are indeed, a fungus. I just went out to dig up a new batch of healthy 'eggs' and lo and behold, there are little roots growing on the bottoms. I sure didn't see those before.

I'm a little bummed.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2007
8:12 PM

Post #3258289

Awwww, that's a bummer!

There's a fungus among us heehee

knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2007
8:40 PM

Post #3258389

Yeah...and I'm sending some your way! I sure did want turtles or iguanas.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2007
8:48 PM

Post #3258418

Did you make any little outfits? Would they fit the stinkhorns? I would love to see a pic of that...it's kind of slow, I'm easily entertained. lol

Yeah, hard to get excited over a fungus, especially one called stinkhorn.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2007
9:01 PM

Post #3258446

Why, those little stinkers! They were supposed to be turtles. Cancel that call to Mike!
And you tried to do a necropsy on one, but it stunk too much. LOL! I love it! I mean, I'm sorry, Kristi.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2007
9:02 PM

Post #3258451

Like I said, Ceejay...SUPER DORK!
Equilibrium

March 7, 2007

Post #3258531

Oh ha ha! I actually can't wait to call Mike and let him know that the "eggs" might be stinkhorns. See, now you can knit those little sweaters and you can have toasty warm stinkhorns.

This has been a fun thread. May we have many more like it.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
12:14 AM

Post #3259082

Hey, K! Go to this site and scroll down to the bottom photo. Is that yours? It sure fits the description you were giving - like a body forming inside the "egg"...
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/july99.html
Equilibrium

March 8, 2007

Post #3259087

Oh ceejaytown! Excellent detective work! Way to go!
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2007
12:24 AM

Post #3259128

Oh my! This has sure taken an interesting twist! The link is very good too ceejaytown!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #3259528

That bottom photo is EXACTLY mine! See the pink octopuss resemblance?

Yes, EQ...may we have many more of these adventures.

I took a box and shared with my class this evening. Everyone got a kick out of the fact that I was controlling the soil temp, misting them...you know, everything but actually sitting on them. But, hey, they REALLY REALLY look like eggs.

Ah, a little family of stinkhorns. I'm so very lucky.
Equilibrium

March 8, 2007
2:36 AM

Post #3259569

I reread this entire thread and it has got to be one of the funniest threads. I can't help but point this post out from the middle of February by joepyeweed- [quote]They look like puff ball mushrooms to me.[/quote]

knolan! You're a good stinkhorn momma, the very best I might add.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
2:59 AM

Post #3259650

I reread the whole thing again, too. It really is hilarious. And to think, I lost sleep over these 'babies'. Geesh.

No wonder I couldn't open one up. If ya'll could have smelled the stench. Ugh! Absolutely disgusting. It truly almost made me sick to my stomache. Worse than roadkill on a Texas highway in August.

Well, what can we discover next?????
Equilibrium

March 8, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #3259700

I can't get the thought of you incubating stinkhorns out of my mind. I also can't get the thought of me helping you incubate them out of my mind. I suppose your husband is really having fun with this these days. I know mine would never let me live it down. Aren't ya glad you didn't invest in a new tortilla warmer. Oh that would have been one to share with the grandchildren. This whole thread is ridiculously hilarious. It's a deep belly laugh thread.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
3:24 AM

Post #3259724

Oh my, had I bought the tortilla warmer (and I came close), well, that would have just been icing on the cake. You're right, I will never live this one down. Especially since I sent an email to a lot of my friends telling them that I probably would soon have either baby turtles or baby iguanas. Well, now I have 'egg on my face' and will have to explain that I have "Stinky Squid Stinkhorns". But, see? The octopuss description was close. Whaddya think? This is something that I'm going to laugh about for the rest of my life. And I couldn't have done it without ya!
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #3259868

[quote]a good mother always says, "I will love them no matter what they are", and I will. After taking care of them, how could anyone not love them? I won't know what to do with them but I'd take pride in the fact that they made it.[/quote]

ROTFLMBO!!!!!!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
4:39 AM

Post #3259873

Bite me, Ceejay. Wicked, wicked woman. (jk...thought I better edit and add that in)

Okay...so, I LOVE STINKHORNS! Yup, I'm their mom and I love them. I cared for them and they're mine, mine, mine!

Want some? They're free for adoption to a good home.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2007 11:59 PM
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
5:47 AM

Post #3259936

I didn't read that possum thread thoroughly, EQ. I've just now read it, in it's entirety. I must have been speed reading or someone was hollering at me for something. What a great thread. I wish I had paid more attention to it earlier.

I don't have the recipe on hand but a vet gave us a 'universal formula' for small mammals that is supposed to be adequate for about a day or two until you are able to find the appropriate diet for that particular animal. I wished I had it to post right now. It's what my mom fed the possums with an eyedropper in those first few days. The more I read about baby possums, the more I am amazed at my mother. I just can't believe she was able to keep them alive.

Sorry, I should be posting this on the possum thread. I will as soon as I find that formula. If you don't mind, can I run the recipe by you first? It's something that worked for my mom and the possums but I have no idea if it's a recipe that should only be used with certain animals.

On second thought, wouldn't that be a good topic for a new thread or forum altogether? Different feedings for different animals? Or is there already one out there and I just haven't found it? I don't have enough experience to start it myself. Also...a forum for questions like, "What to do if your dog gets skunked", or "what if a porcupine attacks"...(sounds silly but I 've seen a picture of a dog that had the spines all over it and I don't think there's any way that dog could have made it after having those pulled). Is this a stupid idea?

This message was edited Mar 8, 2007 2:33 AM
Equilibrium

March 8, 2007
1:34 PM

Post #3260525

Oh hurt, pain. I just read what ceejay typed about a good mother and I'm here at work sneaking on the computer because my computer at home doesn't work and now you have me gagging and this office is very soberingly straight laced. Oh my Gawd!
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2007
6:05 PM

Post #3261240

Haha good one CJ!

K's post 3224065 looks a lot like the one in that link.
Boy, I thought it was a critter.

That link also said they are eaten as a delicacy, so you could fix some up for your class...you have enough to share. How could one even get past the smell to cook them, let alone eat them?

K, those sound like great interesting threads to start, I bet everyone has some funny stories to share.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
6:40 PM

Post #3261323

Sauteed, fried, grilled, how would you like them, Ms. Fy?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2007
9:07 PM

Post #3261754

Laughing!!! Aaawww, You are still a good egg mommy! You were ready to clothe the little orphans.

We have the orange stinkhorns and they do stink, but are cool. If that's what these are I'd like to see a picture of the stinkers when they hatch!

Guessing threads are the best ones! This one was fun!

(ROTFL and L over CJ requoting, and your reply!)
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #3261806

Well, I almost posted another id request but thought it would be too gross. My ferocious cats got a hold of 'something' and all that's left is the little gross stomache part. It wasn't a bird, I know that. I thought I'd be nice and not post a picture even though I know you would all be very helpful at guessing what it belonged to.

They oughtta name a fooball team 'Stinkhorns'.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2007

Post #3261833

Oohhh, we would!

The Stinkhorns! Maybe they could play against the Hornworms.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #3261847

I like your thinking, BillyP!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3261918

ROTFL!! No one has arms for the pom poms.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #3261930

What is a "pom poms"?
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #3261938

We can get the ants to hold the pom poms!

Dyson, pom poms are the big fluffly balls that the cheerleaders shake when they are cheering.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2007
10:28 PM

Post #3261997

Ants! Why didn't I think of that!

Ya know, I rather liked the black and white lacy stinkhorns. Sort of Darth Vaderish.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #3263888

Hah, hah, hah ROTF along with everyone else! Kristi, I've just been lurking here anxiously awaiting the hatchlings, but now I just had to join in. I can just see you as you, oh so gently, tended to your delicate little "eggs."

This reminds me of something that happened years ago to a friend. She purchased one of those little egg incubators so her children could see baby chicks hatch. Deciding it wasn't warm enough, she turned it up. She ended up with hard boiled eggs. :)
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2007
8:24 PM

Post #3265103

Oh, that's funny, Biv. I would have cried my eyes out if I had done that.

My little family is 'blossoming' out in the flower bed. How very, very lucky I am!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
8:31 PM

Post #3265121

ROTFL!! Love your attitude Knolan! It's still going to be fun watching them hatch. I can't wait. I only have one, maybe two at the most, a year. You have a whole patch. You are a lucky girl!

I too would have felt awful hard boiling them, But it's funny if someone else does.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2007
8:44 PM

Post #3265156

Thanks Billy. Would you like me to send yousome spores? Hahaha

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2007
8:58 PM

Post #3265198

We'll see how many I come up with this year :0))

I'll take a ruler out with me when I take pictures and we'll see who has the biggest one ; )~
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2007
5:13 AM

Post #3266879

Well, that left me speechless...
Equilibrium

March 10, 2007
12:51 PM

Post #3267306

Hmmm, what I want to know is how goes the sweater knitting? I want a photo of MommaStinkhorn's babies sporting toasty sweaters while they blossom.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2007
2:55 PM

Post #3267712

LOL. I wanna see that too. Then I will show the picture to my coworkers who happen to be professional gardeners.
Equilibrium

March 10, 2007
3:01 PM

Post #3267724

Oh oh oh!

billyporter has thrown a challenge into the ring. Don't know how I missed that.

What will knolan do! What will she do!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #3267727

LOL. She's gonna rise to the challenge, that's what!!
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2007
3:39 PM

Post #3267822

You all are so bad...
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #3268110

I love a good challenge. Yeesh, it's a regular men's locker room around here, huh? Measure up, BP!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2007
6:17 PM

Post #3268180

A sweater will be posted this evening. I can't make one to fit my squid stinkhorn but I can make them for Billy's horns.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #3268276

Ahh...Stinkhorn fashion at it's finest. I can whip these out in no time.

Thumbnail by knolan

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2007
10:36 PM

Post #3268789

LOL!!! That is cute!!
Equilibrium

March 10, 2007
10:46 PM

Post #3268816

Oh my GAAAAAAAAAAAAWD!
;o !!!!!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2007
1:52 AM

Post #3269402

Ya'll challenged me!
Equilibrium

March 11, 2007

Post #3269434

Umm, your baby stinkhorns will have the ability to produce spores. Those spores are... er... uh... unisex so could you whip up a little something in baby blue please?

I found this site-
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mushrooms.Folder/Stinkhorns.html
excerpt from this site which left me rolling on the floor- [quote]And the entire mushroom hatches from an "egg," which, unlike a puffball, reveals layers of slime cut open.[/quote]

Well MommaStinkhorn... will those be yellow and green sweaters you'll be knitting from here on out?
Equilibrium

March 11, 2007

Post #3269454

My husband just stopped by me here and he has a message to relay to your husband. He says to tell your husband that it wasn't his wife that did something like incubating mushrooms... this time.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2007

Post #3269505

hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Ya know, if only I had done the tortilla warmer this story would have been even better.

I can make those sweaters in any color or size. I'll be taking oders over the internet soon. Everyone should have their own little family of stinkhorns.

Guess I won't be traveling to New Guinea any time soon.
Equilibrium

March 11, 2007

Post #3269556

And about that tortilla warmer... come on now, admit it. If you could have picked one up without mail ordering it in time to "save" your baby stinkhorns... you would have had one.

By the way, with all the money you saved not having to refinish your dining room table... you've got a nice little nest egg (nyuk nyuk nyuk) set aside to go to New Guinea in the future if you want.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2007

Post #3269581

It's true, I admit it. But I would have had to throw it away after I found out what they were. Can you imagine using it to warm food in afterwards? Bleckgghh! I'm sure it would have given the tortillas a very distinctive and "earthy" taste.

If you could have seen the expression of my DD's face when I told her what we were incubating. If there's anyone who won't let me live this down, it's her. I'm being teased by a slew of kids now, thank you very much.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2007
3:23 AM

Post #3269716

Look who's visiting my glass door tonight. Soon, I should have hundreds of these little guys...

Thumbnail by knolan

Equilibrium

March 11, 2007
3:48 AM

Post #3269752

Is that a moth or something? What do you have there?
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2007
3:54 AM

Post #3269759

It's a little tree frog! Again...time for a new camera. Come on birthday!!!!

Part of the problem with the picture is his reflection on the glass.

Starting around this time of year, we have to be careful when we open doors and windows so that we don't accidentally smush them. I have one really large window in my living room that leads to the backyard and usually in April, I'll have about 25 of them all over that one windowin the evenings. They're so pretty.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2007
3:56 AM

Post #3269764

Here's another picture...

Thumbnail by knolan

Equilibrium

March 11, 2007
4:02 AM

Post #3269779

Better feed it, it looks scrawny all smashed up against the glass like that ;)

http://www.edsflymeat.com/

knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2007
4:34 AM

Post #3269837

mmmm...mmmmm.

As long as I keep the porch light on he seems to get plenty of munchies.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2007
2:56 PM

Post #3270445

[quote]usually in April, I'll have about 25 of them all over that one windowin the evenings[/quote]

Are you serious? 25 of them on your window?? Now that surely is a picture you have take!!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2007

Post #3271501

Another challenge! Patience, the time will come.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2007
11:08 PM

Post #3271648

No fair buying plastic frogs...

terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #3271671

But how are we to know if they're real or not?? That is the question...lol...I guess look for hot glue marks on the window??
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2007
11:21 PM

Post #3271678

LOL!!!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #3271858

For shame...for shame!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #3275097

I have to tell ya'll that I was cleaning out a bed today that is about 6 feet away from the bed where my stinkhorns are. They are all popping open at this time and the smell is utterly unbearable. I had to stop...just couldn't finish. It is, by-far, the foulest odor I have ever encountered and seems to be permeating the whole yard. According to the websites, there is nothing I can do. Thank God for the jasmine in bloom.

On another note, tonight I have a new visitor. It's a little salamander about 8" long. He's really cute. DD wants to keep him but I said no. (Can you believe?). He needs to go out and make more...I don't see too many of these guys so...let them multiply and then we'll talk.

Thumbnail by knolan

Equilibrium

March 13, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #3275161

Very very very nice!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2007
2:30 AM

Post #3275195

Isn't he cool? Okay, I'm back out there and counted 5 tree frogs. Only one is on the window that I was talking about but he's on the screen. I guess it's a good thing because I don't get the glare from the flash and you can see him/her a lot better.

Thumbnail by knolan

terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2007
2:34 AM

Post #3275210

My gosh, this is running so slow you'd think I was on dial-up! Wouldn't enlarge the image, unless I waited and waited...

Anyway, what I can see above in the thumbnail that finally appeared, he's a cutie! Wonder if your little sweater will fit him??

edited for typo that I thought I'd fixed since it took so long to post, but obviously it didn't...

This message was edited Mar 12, 2007 8:39 PM
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2007
2:45 AM

Post #3275242

It's Kermit!

I love this time of year. It seem a little early for these babes to be out and about. Ya'll should hear the songs from my back porch. The bull frogs are croaking so loud.

Last year, doing yard work, I left the garage door open and my DH "squealed!" Yes, he squealed...he's not used to a lot of this. I went running out there and there was a huge bull frog sitting by the door. So I call my friend who is a WF rehabber for reptiles (and she has an excellent pond in her back yard) and she came running over. We were able to get the frog into a large bucket but, then he jumped. If you could have seen the spread on those legs. He was a huge guy! I'm talking 3'! The poor thing was scared with us all trying to catch him. He jumped behind and under the deep freezer. We had to pull it out from against the wall and tilt it a little so he didn't get smushed. Left it like that for hours until he came out on his own. I felt sorry that we had probably traumatized him. We just let him wander off on his merry way. Sure wish I had a picture.

On a separate note, there's a park not far from us. It's really a swamp but has a really cool three story deck to walk out over the water. Lot's of ducks, frogs, gators, water lilys, etc. I took a group of kids one night for a picnic and we stumbled on traps for the frogs off of the decks. Well, we opened em up and let them go. This big ole' burly...you know what...starts screaming at me for opening them up. I told the kids to get in the car and gave him the appropriate finger. Hope he ate at McDonald's that night.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #3275259

terry - I'm having trouble with slow threads too. I thought it was my network but I checked that. Even threads with no pics. seem to be opening up slowly. It's been going on for a couple of days with me.

I will have to come up with a special pattern for these guys. It's not as simple as the stinkhorns. LOL.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2007
2:54 AM

Post #3275277

Mine just started, how very weird! It's only here too...

You just need to have some opening for appendages. That's all..lol...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #3281795

Knolan, that is a beautiful girlie girl stinkhorn outfit! It would fit perfectly! Mine won't be growing till June or July. I have two places that put up a single horn. I will measure it! I know better than to pluck one to get rid of it too. Phew! Your Kermit is very nice! Another month and our spring peepers will be going off. I love that. If we get enough rain, the lightning bugs will be thick. I found a glow worm a couple years ago. They're cool!
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2007
10:31 PM

Post #3281811

I miss lightning bugs. I grew up in Nebraska and they were all over the place. I've always felt the pesticides did them in...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2007
11:08 PM

Post #3281925

We had a lot of them last year. I really enjoy seeing them.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2007
1:35 AM

Post #3282453

Lightning bugs aren't as plentiful here as they used to be either. I also think it's because of pesticides. Those are also killing bees and other beneficial bugs.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #3282610

You all are in too big of a city! Come enjoy some rural farm town air and enjoy the lightening bugs!
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2007
4:57 AM

Post #3283161

Absotutely!!! Would love to...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2007
11:10 AM

Post #3283413

I will too...one of these days. And it will be to compare my rural air wih yours. =)
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2007
2:46 PM

Post #3284077

Then it's a date! Just let me know when you'll be here...
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2007
2:34 AM

Post #3286412

Me too, Terry! And then you can come on down for a visit to 'The Swamp'. Bring your mud boots and skeeter spray.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #3286639

Sure!! The more the merrier!! Can I borrow a pair of mud boots?? I sure don't have any...lol...
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2007
3:46 AM

Post #3286650

Absolutely!

We've had so much rain the last few days that you can't even walk in the yard without sinking. The pasture literally looks like a swamp. You should hear the bullfrogs. It must be mating season.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2007
3:48 AM

Post #3286654

Terry, I grew up in Southern IL and loved lightning bugs there when I was a child. Here in Central FL we seldom see them...and oddly enough, there's usually only one or two on the very rare occasions when we've spotted them. I've lived here over 30 years and can count on half the fingers of one hand the number of times I've seen lightning bugs. Now love bugs...that's another story! Hate those things! Where to you live in Illinois?

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2007
3:51 AM

Post #3286658

Yay, KN, did you wish me some rain today? We finally had a shower early this evening. I just wish it had rained more because we certainly need it. Last year we ended up with a rain deficit of over 12", and we're not off to a good start this year. It's a tad scary because we have a well...and sinkholes are starting to open up.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2007

Post #3286747

Biv - I'm clicking my heels and sending happy thoughts for rain. You can have half of what we got. 6" yesterday, according to my gauge.

Sinkholes would scare me. I saw this last month...

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/02/23/sinkhole.ap/index.html

that's a scary sinkhole!

Note to self, it is hard not to type stinkhorn when typing sinkhole.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2007
4:37 AM

Post #3286791

Ooooeeee...yes, that's one big sinkhole! And they are indeed scary. Years ago there was a huge one here that swallowed a house, part of a car dealership and part of a swimming pool (if I remember correctly). I do recall that a woman looked out her window and saw a tree suddenly disappear. Photos showed cars from the dealership sliding down into the hole...which is now a lake. This whole state is floating on limestone caverns not too far beneath us. When we have droughts, they start to give way. And sometimes they also give way when there's too much rain. I tell ya, you just can't win in this state!
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2007
10:36 AM

Post #3287552

It is natures way of redesigning the nieborhood

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2007
10:51 AM

Post #3287605

I'd be happier if Ma Nature would leave us alone when it comes to the nastiness she can create.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2007
11:35 AM

Post #3287753

bivbiv, I live in the northern part of the state. I'm an hour north of Peoria and an hour east of Moline IL and right off I-80. We have lightening bugs galore.

That sinkhole was something! 330 ft deep?? Our ground here is saturated with the melting snow and ice, then we had some rain, but nothing near the 6" that knolan talks about!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2007
7:48 PM

Post #3303162

Renatelynne, that's a good way to put it. I think that way when tornados or big winds take trees. Chaos creates change.

Well, I feel lucky to have lightning bugs. The wetter the spring the more hatch out. Maybe I'll practice with the night settting and come up with a picture. Don't hold your breath tho.

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2007
8:35 PM

Post #3303339

I do not know what a stinkhorn is..

But i love the tree frogs wish had bunches.. so cute .

ok i know i see , weird looking. i like weird, the colors on that page were pretty but they remind me of something else just can't put my finger on it..??? i would like them to in the yard so weird..

This message was edited Mar 20, 2007 7:52 PM

This message was edited Mar 20, 2007 7:54 PM
Equilibrium

March 20, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #3303449

Hey Hope, me and knolan can set you up mighty fine with a stinkhorn incubation plan. Please let us know if you'd like to incubate a few on your counter top. She'll even toss in a few knitted sweaters for youu bouncing baby stinkers. I saw this really neat multi colored yarn at Walmart for baby blankets and it came in pink, yellow, lt green, lt blue, and white. That covers all the bases with stinkhorns.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2007
9:55 PM

Post #3303657

Tha's right, we're pros. We know how to do it the right way for sure.

Oooohh...multi-colored yarn. Now, why didn't I think of that?

BP found this thread earlier. Very appropriate...I think. I had to laugh.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/601123/
Equilibrium

March 20, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #3303753

You have me to think of ways to waste your money so that your husband can really poke sport at you! That's why you didn't think of the multi colored yarn!

I saw that butt shroom in that thread. Is this foreshadowing of what will be in your incubator next?
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2007
10:36 PM

Post #3303819

Let's see...tortilla warmer, multi-colored yarn...oh yes, do tell what's next.

No butt shrooms for me. One stinky, ugly fungus is all I need to keep the crowds coming to my yard, thank you very much.
Equilibrium

March 20, 2007
10:38 PM

Post #3303827

Gimme a while to think about that...
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #3304005

I forgot to say, I was told by the extension office not to touch or move my fungus' but it was too late. I spent last weekend finally clearing out that bed and tossed everything into lawn bags. I hope I'm not causing an explosion at the local landfill. If so, it was unintentional. I must say that I 'gagged' the entire time I was cleaning as all of the little eggs had started 'blooming/hatching'.

I can't believe I'm going to say this. I would have much rather preferred snakes.
Equilibrium

March 22, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #3307502

Couldabeenworse-

http://www.kurtknoll.com/mush3.html

ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2007
12:50 AM

Post #3307515

I had a man and wife bring in scrambled egg fungus AKA dog vomit fungus last week. It looks like a dog vomited scrambled eggs with sausage mixed in. Really gross looking. But at least it doesn't stink!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #3307531

Hey, I could use both of those for my next halloween party. They'd be a gas, for certain.
Equilibrium

March 22, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #3307586

Naa, there's better out there for a Halloween Party. Totally off topic but you can re-create Frankenstein's operating room if you're having a kid's party. Make sure you don't have any pre-schoolers in the bunch for the party. Start with a sheet of plywood and lay it out over construction horses. Now cover that with a bedspread or something that drapes over the edges so you can't see what's under the table. Cut a hole in the plywood so one Dad can stick his head up and out. If you position it just right, you can stick a chair underneath so that Dad doesn't have to kneel. Create some sort of a body and stuff it. You can pick up clothes cheap at Salvation Army for the second Dad who will dress up as Frankenstein. Cut holes in the sheet that goes over the "body" with flaps where the heart, lungs, intestines... etc. would be. Now get the first Dad to apply make-up like the monster with bolts sticking out of his neck and have him stick his head up through the hole from underneath. You place raw beef tongue in a tray recessed down into the dummy body under the flap where a lung would be. Scrambled eggs for brains that are placed in a bowl next to the Dad's head. Hard boiled eggs for eyeballs in a bowl on the other side of his head. Add a little oil to the bowl that has the eyeballs in it to lube em up so they're good and slippery. That recipe they have for slime makes great boogers if you add some green food coloring. If you pick up some air hardening clay, you can add it to a the ends of a 2" wooden dowel to create something that feels like an elongated dog bone for a leg bone. I forgot what we used for the heart, it's been too many years. You can use noodles with mashed strawberries for guts. Toss some cooked rice for maggots over the body and literally just let your imagination run wild with anything else you can think of. Add some dry ice for effect if it isn't too expensive and set up a few candles for very soft light for their preview peek before they get blindfolded to be walked through the lab. Now line up the kids to walk through the laboratory one by one. Let them get that peek at the body on the table in very dim light then blindfold them. Guide them through the lab and let them feel everything and explain to them what they are feeling using a lot of really gross adjectives, save the guts with the strawberries for last because that means they'll walk out with bloody hands which really makes them squeal with delight after you walk them out of the lab and take their blind fold off. Now here's where the other Dad comes in. He's waiting outside the lab. After the kid leaves and you walk away, the kid's examining his bloody hands while that second Dad is preparing to chase after the kid while asking for his boogers back. This is why it's good to set up your lab inside your house by your front door. You can lead the kids into the lab through the house and then out the front door where the other Dad goes after them when they least expect it.

I found the idea in a Family Fun magazine and sat down with other Moms and we expanded on the concept to "personalize" the experience for the kids.

We did this many years ago and the kids are all still talking about it. The mummy toilet paper wrap up contest paled by comparison.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #3307599

Oh, now that is a hoot! I have a combined children's and adult party every year. This will DEFINITELY be done this year. How funny. My DH is a real trooper and he'd love something like that. My next door neighbor will happily comply too.

I'm laughing just picturing this. I can't wait.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2007
7:02 AM

Post #3307769

That sounds like even more fun than playing the Wicked Witch and jumping out and scaring the living daylights out of both adults and kids.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2007
4:41 PM

Post #3309278

My gosh! Knowing Mr and Mrs Equil, you have no idea how funny it is to imagine the two of them doing the above...

I think Equil means sawhorses where she says construction horses...;)
Equilibrium

March 22, 2007
7:28 PM

Post #3309865

It wasn't just us. I found the idea and cut it out to show everyone and then the Moms sat down and "tweeked" the concept. It was sort of benign and ho hum when I first read about it in that Family Fun magazine but once we started adding our own twist, we really had some fun with it. I was the one who came up with the strawberries in the spaghetti noodles and then the idea of using steamed rice as maggots sprinkled over the sheet was too irresistable to pass up. In total, there were 4 sets of parents involved. All of us very boring and "family next doorish"... until it comes time for Halloween... or 4th of July...or anything we can think of to goof off. I think we've all got major silly bugs in us.

Although the Frankenstein lab was hard to top, we did get some kids good last year by setting out coffins made out of plywood with dummies in them as yard art. What's really funny is that the kids are convinced the dummies are real people so all the kids have to poke at them to see if they're going to get jumped. Once they figure out they're really dummies, they go about the business of being kids. Here's where the fun begins. You sort of wait until all the kids are sitting around the bonfire and then some of us "swapped" places with some of the dummies and hung out motionless waiting. Kids like to run around a lot and with a hundred people, it's sort of hard to keep track of everyone so they had no clue the dummies had been swapped out for real live people. When the kids started running around, we had a que to jump out and grab them when the word coffin bangers to the song Monster mash started playing. I swear some kids needed a change of pants after we jumped out and started grabbing them. You can make these coffins out of refrigerator boxes too. Plywood is kind of expensive.

I have no idea what we're going to do this year. Any ideas?
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2007
7:54 PM

Post #3309939

That's great.

We always play a game where I buy squishy eyeballs and mix them in a bowl of spaghetti with red food die. They have to dig the eyeballs out with their toes.

We also go on a witch hunt and I take the kids for a walk by the park where I tell them a scary story about a man that was eaten by a group of witches in this area and every now and then you can see his ghost in the trees. Well, we have someone in the trees with a flashlight covered with blue cellophane thatcomes on just at the right minute and then two witches come running out from behind other trees.

That's nothing compared to your Frankenstain lab.
Equilibrium

March 22, 2007
8:04 PM

Post #3309979

I like the idea of digging out eyeballs with their toes.

Yes, the year we had the Frankenstein Lab is hard to beat.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #3310080

LOL. I wish I could have been there!!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #3337312

I am rolling on the floor! It's taken me a while to catch up on threads and I wondered what topic this thread was going to cover next. So funny! Homegrown peeled grapes make good eyeballs too.

We're a couple of old fuddy duddys. We just hand out candy.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #3338719

oh! oh! oh! Look what's new in my kitchen!!!! Are ya'll jealous or what??????

Thumbnail by knolan

knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #3338724

My DD is having a slumber party for her bday tonight and I picked all the girls up from school. They were doing a worm compost bin in their science class and this was a gift just for me. I'm a lucky gal.

It's moving to the garage, BTW.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #3338776

I was all prepared to ask how Phil liked it...or maybe, IF Phil liked it.
flowerlou
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2007

Post #3338779

OH MY!!

What a crazy thread I have stumbled across on DG.! :)

I am up late cuz dh had to goto the emergency room,, broken rib.

I cant even read everything here but it sounds like a riot.

I have two little ones and it is sometimes hard to get time to read ..

Can I cheat and ask someone to please tell my if any of the eggs did hatch and what were they? did all of the ones in the box die?

You all sound like a bunch of crazy folks...

I think I belong.. LOL!

flowerlady
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3338793

Ceejay, he hasn't seen them yet. snicker, snicker.

Welcome, Flowerlady!

Oh, the eggs hatched alright. Are you sure you want to know? If so scroll to the very bottom of this website to see what the babies ended up being...

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/july99.html

Amazing, huh? Like regular spring chickens!

Hope you enjoy as much as we have and keep coming back!
flowerlou
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2007
3:16 AM

Post #3338895

EEEEKkkSS!!! I am a little scared ,, but ohhhh so curious.. I feel like a little kid .
This is crazy! I called the ER and had to give DH another pain pill,, that is the ONLY reason i am up ...he is now sleeping finally I think.. will go look..
and hope I have NO nightmeres tonight..
If I do I might just have to cut you crazies off. LOL
flowerlou.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2007
3:28 AM

Post #3338903

I hope he's okay! Hope you're okay too. Sometimes it's harder on the caregiver than the victim. Good luck and please, no nightmares!

Awww...don't cut us off 'cause we're looney...it's what makes us fun.

Hope you had gumphffff to look. Were ya surprised? We were!

Gotta go take care of a group of screaming, giggling, supposed to be movie watching girls. this night will never end.
flowerlou
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #3338908

OH MY you folks REALLY are crazy!! So it was just a fungi???? or something??

I am so sorry, I am worn out with lack of sleep , worry for dh, etc...

I will look again tomorrow... I think I AM in a nightmere,, uh nightmare,, how the heck you spell that anyway??

This is the craziest thread on DG that I have ever found. Are you people always discussing the disgusting??? LOL

Oh puleeze ,,, how can I take it off my watch list...

NOT!!

GOODNIGHT YOU CRAZIES!!!!
I have a husband with a broken rib that is finally sleeping!!!! Have to get up in 3 hours to give him 2 more pain killers... HMMM,, perhaps one for me?? If DG had a contest for the most unusual, and unusally long thread with the craziest of outcome,, I think this is the winner. It is GOLD. Shall we suggest??

Have a wonderful weekend and if I dont see your weird stuff for the next week, bless you all for Easter is coming... I thinks you might need it.

LOL!!!!!!!! Truly a smile on my face. I have this feeling you will be back.

maybe.

flowerlou
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2007
2:06 PM

Post #3340032

Kristi's fungus was the last one - the one that looks like an orange quadripus. (Well, it had four "legs" so it couldn't be octopus!)

Equilibrium

March 31, 2007
2:20 PM

Post #3340085

Uh oh, [quote]Have a wonderful weekend and if I dont see your weird stuff for the next week, bless you all for Easter is coming... I thinks you might need it.[/quote] She's blessing all of us crazies for our "weird stuff". We must all be totally off the wall to people reading us for the first time.

Really sorry about your husband's broken ribs flowerlou. They don't tape them anymore so even breathing will be difficult. Here's my way out and whacky tip for the day coming from somebody who has broken ribs a few time... get him a pillow to haul around with him. If he feels as if he is going to cough, sneeze, or laugh; tell him to try holding the pillow firmly in front of his rib cage with his own forearms if he even thinks he is going to do much more than breathing. He can avoid excrutiating pain this way. Not a good idea to let him read about knolan's itty bitty precious hatchlings right about now. He might be in too much pain laughing at all of us.
flowerlou
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2007
6:37 PM

Post #3340816

thanks Equil. He figured out the pillow thing already. He is really having a hard time. They say the first week is the worst. It happened last tues. evening.
He is just in so much pain, and is exhausted.
Thanks for thinking about him with the tip.
flowerlou
Equilibrium

March 31, 2007
8:40 PM

Post #3341225

I've broken mine a few times. The first 10 days or so are horrible and then after that it's bad but not unbearable for another week or so and then it starts getting much better after a month or so.

Glad he found the pillow trick on his own rather than going through the first few days wondering when he was going to break another one. Broken ribs are really a raw deal. No way to set them.
flowerlou
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #3341379

thanks Equil. He is just always moving ,, he finds a somewhat acceptable place to sit, then he needs to walk or stand.
Another bad thing about this is he is a self employed working contractor.
No work,, no pay.
His appetite is really down.
Tuesday evening will be one week.

Thanks for the timeline to feel better.
Flowerlou
Equilibrium

March 31, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3341690

He is your husband and I am hoping he isn't reading this but... I taped my ribs with duct tape. That is a big no no because of risks of pneumonia as well as other evils that were rattled off to me. My doctor had an absolute fit when he found out what I had done.

On me I didn't have any chest hair that could have been ripped out but your husband might so maybe you could use gauze under the tape on his chest. I had to go to work. All you do is have him stand still and hold up his arms and you hold the tape while he spins slowly in a circle. My husband helped me. I was very careful to take off the tape after a few hours and you just use a scissors and slice through all layers from top to bottom.

disclaimer- I am not a medical doctor (not even close) and got a big rear chewing when I admitted to my doctor that I had taped myself. My job is not physical. I sit at a desk. I get the feeling that a man in the trades could do more damage than a woman sitting at a desk and your family could be out way more income if he pushed himself to get back to work... or worse. I know you don't have income coming in but my little voice tells me you should probably not share this with him as he might try to get back on the job. When did his doctor say he could go back to work?
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #3341794

Pleurisy is something to really watch for with broken ribs. Like Equil, I've broken ribs a few times. My doctor told me I got it from not inhaling and exhaling to my lungs full capacity. It hurt too much. I hope your husband feels better soon flowerlou!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2007
4:26 PM

Post #3344107

Oh, THAT"S the worm bin you were talking about. I am dense today! I love it!

Flowerlou, I'm glad you asked. I don't think any of us are thru laughing yet. So sorry about your husbands rib. I hope it gets easier for him.

Sorry for all of you who broke one. I can't imagine and hopre I never have to.

Popping in and popping out. I think DH would like a turn at the computer :(
flowerlou
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2007
5:16 PM

Post #3344236

Thanks for all the Broken rib tips,, dh will probably just stick it out..he is insisting on going to work tomorrow but says he will only do what he can.

I just read all the fun Halloween stuff. My 6y.o dd was born on Halloween, she will be 7 this year.. I have been wondering when to do a halloween party. This might still be too scary though. I have to figure out how to cut and paste the directions for Equilibriums lab.

Hope all are having a wonderful spring so far.
So do all these crazy wierd fungi mainly show up in spring.
You all wait for gross growing stinkies.

I am just waiting for my hummers.
I might be missing out on another side of me.. ha ha
Mary/flowerlou
Equilibrium

April 1, 2007
7:37 PM

Post #3344640

Ya know, I know how to cut and paste. I forgot who taught me how to do it but I know how. I am sitting here stumped trying to figure out how to tell you how to hi lite then cut and paste and I'm stumped.

Can anyone describe for her how to cut and paste?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2007

Post #3344691

I would but I am too busy laughing now because of you.
flowerlou
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2007
8:07 PM

Post #3344758

O.k, I think I can cut and paste,, but once when I tried to do so from DG, I couldn't for some reason. Maybe it was WHAT I was trying to cut.. I dont think it was anything different than say the halloween instructions. Maybe because we are members?

If I try,,, where the heck would I cut and paste too?? lol
do I make a new folder? How will I remember it is there, etc.

Geesh,,, someone puleeze tell me how I found this thread??
I am getting deeeeeperrr andd deeeeepper.

Is this place a bad influence on everyone else here???

Or maybe just another bunch of cool DG's.

Not sure I would want to round up with you though!!

Ihope you all know I am kiddn'

flowerlou
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #3344778

To copy/paste: Just take your mouse pointer to the beginning of the thing you want to copy, left click and hold it down while you move over the area you want. It will turn blue. When you've higlighted it all, release the left mouse button, and right click on the highlighted area. Left click on copy. Open a new document in Word (or whichever word processing program you use) and right click in the document, then left click on paste.
Sounds long and wordy, but it is really easy...
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2007
8:21 PM

Post #3344781

Heeheehee...we've corrupted another one.

Sally, would you believe that the worm bin doesn't stink at all? No smell! How cool is that?
Equilibrium

April 1, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #3345029

[quote]Is this place a bad influence on everyone else here???[/quote] Yes

We have a plantaholics group forming in a community near you soon. Run, do not walk, to the closest Round Up for details.

Remember, one plant at a time.

Repeat the following:
I can quit buying plants anytime I want.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #3345035

LOL. If that was true I never would have bought that gardenia.
Equilibrium

April 1, 2007
9:44 PM

Post #3345081

Dear, I said "one plant at a time"

I didn't mean like one a year. One plant at a time could be like a multiple vitamin... one a day. Now expand from there and add other supplements and you could be up to a whole tray of goodies a day. You let me down. You weren't using your head.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2007

Post #3345211

One plant at a time?? How about if I buy a couple dozen, then don't buy any more for at least a month? Does that still work?? It's Spring and it's going to warm up here sooner or later! AND Ms. Equil (the co-dependent), how many plants have you bought so far this year?? Are you abiding by your rule of one plant at a time??

Mary, once you copy and paste, click on save as and then save it on your desktop. That way you know right where it is!
Equilibrium

April 1, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #3345264

Why yes terryr, I bought one at a time. There is no way you can use those lousy order forms and do anything but buy one at a time.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2007
10:34 PM

Post #3345294

Oh for Pete's Sake!! You can too order more than one on an order form! Next to the plant name, you simply write a 5 or a 10 or however many you want! ElCarlito might buy what you're selling, but I'm sure not!!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2007
10:47 PM

Post #3345335

Oh my, WHO can buy only one plant at a time!
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3345612

I could!!!!

If both my arms and fingers were broken, and I had to carry I with my teeth...which I could very well do, thank-you. lol
I could probably do a six-pack (plants) too, but that's still really considered one, isn't it?
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #3345641

Heeheeheehee! Who you trying to kid???? I've been plant shopping with you lady...I've seen a professional in action.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #3345652

Yeah, who am I trying to kid?
Equilibrium

April 2, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #3345698

ONE PLANT SPECIES AT A TIME Ladies. There is no way those order forms could accommodate more than one plant species per line or it would be a logistical nightmare. After you put your quantity in the line, you move down to the next plant species. That counts as one at a time in my book regardless of quantity. Anyone care to disagree? I generally buy my plants in threesies but I put them in the cart in onesies. If it's a tray, I put the ONE tray in my cart. I've carried a 4-pack by the handle in my teeth before like fly_girl and I've most certainly shuffled across parking lots with them under my arms while pushing a cart with my forearms but best of all is when they get delivered to my door in a nice big box. No fuss, no muss.

Let's not all get hung up on semantics! One plant, one species, one 4-pack, one tray, one shopping cart... it's all one to me.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #3345707

Hahaha...that reminds me of the weather conditions too that would have stopped a 'normal' person. You know...when the wind is a straight 30 MPH sheer across the parking lot and your one cart full is all laying on thier sides and you're praying they don't fall off the cart. Because then you would have to take it back...I mean, it's damaged right?
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2007

Post #3345718

Absolutely. A flat is one plant, too.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2007

Post #3345720

I like the shopping cart is one too...hey, then a car load is one!!! I feel so much better about NOT being a plant addict.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2007

Post #3345721

Weather bothers me none! A few weeks back when we had severe storms and many of my class mates didn't show up for class...I left early just so I could go to a bulb sale on my way. Left right in the middle of the howling, torrential rainfall when the weatherrcasters were saying stay inside. I bought 3 plants only...that would be 45 bulbs.
Equilibrium

April 2, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #3345727

[quote]I feel so much better about NOT being a plant addict.[/quote]
We can quit any time we want.
We just don't want to quit but... we could if we wanted to.
We don't have a problem, it's others who view our plant buying habits as a problem who have the problem.

knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #3345733

Yeah...my husband doesn't know what he's talking about. There's no problem. I buy a plant, put 'them' in the ground, see another empty space, buy another plant? Where's the problem?
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2007
12:27 AM

Post #3345740

I like that mantra...it flows.

I know there are non gardeners that don't get it. One time my 8 year old neighbor came over with his mom. We were talking out in the front yard and he turns to me and says, 'I bet you spend a fortune on plants'. I knew that is something he overheard his mom say. I just laughed and thought...this is a hobby, I can't stop anytime, most were on sale, yada yada. lol
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #3345746

As my brother so eloquently states..."You're such a ridiculous tree hugger."
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2007
7:08 AM

Post #3345975

I actually don't have to worry most of the time about buying plants since I work at a garden and they give me free plants all the time. And now that sping is here all those plants can go into the ground and live for awhile instead of dying in my room.
Equilibrium

April 2, 2007
7:48 AM

Post #3346042

Yes, I sort of like that mantra too. It works for me and it can work for all of us.[quote]I actually don't have to worry most of the time about buying plants since I work at a garden and they give me free plants all the time.[/quote] Braggart ;)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2007
7:48 AM

Post #3346046

ROTFL!!! Now we all have to go to rehab? Gotta catch me first!

Love the carload as one plant! That's my kind of thinking.

Pepper, my eyes would be bigger than my garden if I got free plants.

fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2007
9:43 AM

Post #3346401

Haha, it would be easy to nab me...just wait for me at Lowe's.

Lucky you pepper!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2007
9:52 AM

Post #3346415

Pepper, can I have your job?
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

June 26, 2008
6:25 AM

Post #5161132

LOL! This thread is hysterical!

For all it's worth, you are undeniably the bestest of the best egg-mommies, knolan.
And, fungus or not, at least one of them got a really nice sweater :D

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #5224676

I think about this thread all the time. It was fun, funny and we all had a great time!
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5225309

Thank you, Kurantkat! I tried...I really tried.

It was fun, huh Sally? I've been looking but haven't had any eggs this year.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2008
8:18 PM

Post #5225353

Knolan, I still owe you a picture of a stinkhorn and not a single one grew this year!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5235778

I can NOT believe I missed this thread~!! And my buddy Eq was participating...

Some years back we had an old old house on some acreage, and a patch of erotic looking mushroom started growing near the lilacs. Didn't know what they were, took a picture of them. l didn't have DG or internet or I might have found out they were little orange and white stinkhorns. I should go look for that photo. They were really strange looking compared to all the other mushrooms I've seen. Now that I know what they are I'll probably never see another.

I subscribe to the one plant theory. My DH is even worse. But, we can stop any time. I'm sure of it.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2008
7:57 AM

Post #5239822

It just took me an hour to read this thread from beginning to end again. Oh my, it WAS funny and fun too. EQ...I haven't seen you around but perhaps I'm not visiting the right spots. I miss your knowledge and humor lady!

Too bad I didn't have a momma stinkhorn stork bringing babies this year. I'm not sure what they do for my soil out there but it must be good...things are thriving in that old bed.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Wildlife Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbirds! Marilynbeth 92 Apr 29, 2007 7:34 PM
Idaho to kill wolves terryr 36 Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM
Any one know alot about hawks? lavenderwolf 24 Jun 6, 2007 2:40 PM
Drip watering system for birds? Equilibrium 68 Apr 3, 2008 10:18 AM
Moving a spider egg sac, possible? cresida 23 Jul 21, 2011 4:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America